St. Cecilia's Cathedral Plaza

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Finn
Parks & Recreation

St. Cecilia's Cathedral Plaza

Post by Finn »

Does anyone have any information on the new plaza that is being developed at St. Cecilia's? I have only heard brief mention of the project and am very curious about it. Will it be located in the existing lot directly across the street and what will happen to replace lost parking? I always thought that the Cathedral was beautiful but lacked beautiful "grounds." :?:
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I've been looking around for such information myself. I saw a photo of a rendering on the web somewhere, but lost track of it. I believe I heard there is a display setup at the cathedral itself.

Of course Aaron... who is a catalyst for the project, may have something or at least can provide further insight.

If I recall correctly... I believe the fountain will be directly in front of the cathedral... with the street being updated on either side, with various landscape elements.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You might try looking on the OWH website. I remember reading an article about it in the OWH several months ago.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I was at an event in the Cathedral Arts Center (the old Cathedral High School Building directly east of the Cathedral itself) last week and there is indeed a display about the project in the center.

This was my first visit to CAC and it is very nice. I would rate it a must see. There is a museum with displays that tell the story of how the cathedral was built. Also some history of the congregation before the current cathedral structure was built. There is also a section devoted to Thomas Kimball who is the architect for the church and so many other landmark buildings in Omaha and other midwest cities. Other things to see as well including a nice gift shop.

Also currently there is a temporary display sponsored by MassMutual from that company's Norman Rockwell collection. This is being sponsored at the same time Joslyn and the Boy Scouts are showing a huge Norman Rockwell collection as well. I have some connections to some of this and I think I can get free tickets for those interested. That's right, all three for free. If you have an interest let me know. It would be my pleasure.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Another tid-bit about St. Cecila's, it is the 10th largest cathedral in the country. A friend of mine and his wife who moved here from Orlando live down the street from St. Cecilas and his wife was teling me about how great it will be when they finish the plaza across from the church. I used to live not to far from there. It is a cool neighborhood.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes, the Cathedral Art Center is definitely a must see. It's got great "museum-quality" exhibits and it's very nice.

But yes, Finn, rather than me trying to explain the layout of the project here in words, your best bet would be to just stop by the Cathedral someday and take a look at the model and renderings. It would be worth your time.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Guest 123

St. Cecilia's Plaza

Post by Guest 123 »

Hey guys!
(I don't feel like registering so can someone please move this to the St. Cecilia's Plaza Thread in Projects Never Built? Thank you all.)

Does anyone know if this is still going to be built? And if so, when? Also, how much does the group need to complete this project? Just curious!
Thank you all