Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

anyone remeber the original hilton design that was supposed to pay homage to the Old Market, but it was decided that it was too unlike the Qwest Center design? In the absence of a marriott, I liked that one. anyone still have a picture of it?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Finn (and J):

I'm trying to send you a PM, but it keeps coming up as flagged, and it won't go through. Even if I respond to one of our previous PM threads. Did admin do this due to our "debate"? ;)

I can't find your email address to send it outside of eOmaha, either, so PM me or shoot me an email.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I got it today.

And for the record, I agree the Marriott looked better! I don't know if I ever saw the original design that nebport is referencing. Does anyone have a pic?
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

it was an antiquated red brick design if I remember right.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The original design of the Hilton was supposed to fit with the architecture found in the Old Market (an old fashioned red brick rectangular design)..The problem was, it sat right next to (and completely clashed with) the planned futuristic design of the Qwest Center..Of course not located in the Old Market..

Once this discrepancy in design concern was brought to Fahey's attention by the majority of the City Council, a new design was developed to 'compliment' the Qwest..Thus the current design of the Hilton today..

I don't have a pic, but remember the original Hilton illustration in the W-H..All I remember saying is 'Yikes'..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

really i don't see why it had to "match". An as a visual cue to stretch the OM I don't think that was a bad idea. Plus I think its more interesting with a mixture of old and new(like "Streets" mentioned).
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I don't think it had to match..Just not completely clash..

The current Hilton design certainly dosen't clash..But at least fits in pretty well next to the Qwest Center..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I rember one of the Hilton designs had ivory all over the side. I still think that would be a nice touch. Also a little paint- a light tanish brown- would help it not look so sterile.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Post by ShawJ »

Can anyone provide information on why the proposed 28 story Marriott Hotel by the Qwest Center was never built?

Brad
City Council

Re: Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Post by Brad »

ShawJ wrote:Can anyone provide information on why the proposed 28 story Marriott Hotel by the Qwest Center was never built?

Daub chose the Mariott then lost to Fahey in the election.... Fahey came and changed it to the hilton!

I merged the 2 topics... Have fun reading!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Fahey stated the Hilton design would be more pedestrian friendly and he also thought the Marriott would over shadow the Qwest Center. I think we all know the truth though.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It was a pissing contest between the new and old mayor.  It should have been the Marriott, or the Marriott should have been built elsewhere, in addition to the Hilton.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

|sigh|

Wow... a two page thread full of differing viewpoints without a bunch of name calling and cry baby whiny |expletive|.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

For those of you that don't care for the Hilton, check this out.... Its very similar to the Hilton in next to the Qwest Center, however it is about as tall as the proposed Marriott.  It is across from the Ballpark in Baltimore.  Other Baltimore pics in the photography section.

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

S33 wrote:Fahey stated the Hilton design would be more pedestrian friendly and he also thought the Marriott would over shadow the Qwest Center. I think we all know the truth though.
Forgive my stupidity mr fahey but doesn't I-480 overshadow the Qwest Center?  

Perhaps a more direct question:  SO WHAT?!?!?!  

And what on earth is more pedestrian about the Hilton?  THAT I just don't get.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

The "pedestrian friendly" line was probably just a lame excuse, but I do think that the Hilton brand was a wise choice.  It gives Hilton 'points' members a first class place to stay while in Omaha----and Marriott already has a full service hotel in Omaha.  Yeah, y'all didn't get your high-rise, but you got a classier chain.  The Hilton Omaha is also corporately owned (most are franchises), and I think these tend to be better managed and have better amenities------and in my opinion, the corporate hotels treat their employees better (better pay, better benefits, professional HR departments, etc.).  I think high rises are built for two reasons: 1) land prices, and 2) corporations like to make an advertising statement.  I predict that the more expensive land becomes downtown, the more likely you'll see high-rises built.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

ricko wrote:The "pedestrian friendly" line was probably just a lame excuse, but I do think that the Hilton brand was a wise choice.  It gives Hilton 'points' members a first class place to stay while in Omaha----and Marriott already has a full service hotel in Omaha.  Yeah, y'all didn't get your high-rise, but you got a classier chain.  The Hilton Omaha is also corporately owned (most are franchises), and I think these tend to be better managed and have better amenities------and in my opinion, the corporate hotels treat their employees better (better pay, better benefits, professional HR departments, etc.).  I think high rises are built for two reasons: 1) land prices, and 2) corporations like to make an advertising statement.  I predict that the more expensive land becomes downtown, the more likely you'll see high-rises built.
Well, you'd be right if you weren't mistaken.  It's owned by the city of Omaha and managed by a management company.  
Hilton classier than Marriott?  I disagree.  And there are Hilton brands downtown already, as well as Marriott.
Professional HR departments?  So a non corporate property has an amateur HR dept.?  
The majority of lodging properties are managed by management companies, and less than 10% are corporate owned.  All have to comply with chain standards.  

But other than that....
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

ShawJ wrote:Can anyone provide information on why the proposed 28 story Marriott Hotel by the Qwest Center was never built?

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :eyes:
That was what it was supposed to look like?????!!!!!!
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

NovakOmaha, I work for the Hilton Corp..  I may be mistaken, but I know that the last time I checked, Hilton Omaha was listed as one of the 70-plus Hiltons on our corporate list in the US. I stayed there last summer during a home visit, and I only get discounts with the hotels on the list----and their job postings are listed in the corporation's newsletter.  You may be right about the ownership, but for some reason it's treated like one of the corporately owned Hilton hotels.  Maybe it's an asterisk. I haven't heard of any of our other hotels with that kind of financing setup. I'll admit that I'm way biased when it comes to hotel pecking orders, but the fact remains that the Hilton Omaha is the only 4-diamond hotel in Nebraska, and I think that means something when it comes to quality.  I'll also admit that the exterior looks like a very nice army barracks building from the 1950's.   I'll will stand by my opinions regarding employee treatment.  For almost 10 years I've managed employees who've worked in a number of other chains, and this is a purely anecdotal feeling, but I sense that Hilton is a preferred place to work, and I know for a fact that our benefits are better than those at the Hyatt, Marriott, The Ritz-Carlton, The Four Seasons, W, Renaissance, Crown Plaza, and just about any other chain I can think of (a few years back I was asked to be on a task force that did comparison studies---we came to the conclusion that, in order to retain quality employees, we had to offer quality benefits). You're right when you point out that all hotels, regardless of their status (corp. vs. franchise) must meet certain company standards, but it's a commonly accepted belief that the corporate hotels in the Hilton chain go the extra mile.  Regarding HR department comparisons,  hotels run the gamut, and I guess I need to explain my sense of "professionalism".  I've worked for companies whose HR departments were merely tools for upper management-----and employees in that environment learn to 'work around' their HR folks (unprofessional).  I currently work in an environment where the HR folks treat even the lowliest employee with respect and friendliness, have an open-door policy, and are also very good at listening and conflict resolution (professional).  I think ongoing training on every level (both staff and management), especially in customer service/human relations, is something that we do very well.
Last edited by ricko on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

And Pacific Life is a great company too!

(Now I wait for my check to come in too. Isn't that right ricko? :;): )
DTO
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I would be happy with either structure.

where the corn meets the concrete
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

An old article pertinent to both Brad's photo and ricko's ownership question...
Mixed reviews on city-owned hotels
With the City Council poised to approve a convention center hotel, other cities offer a comparison.

By Jill Rosen | Sun Staff
   August 14, 2005

Proposed convention center hotel

Baltimore's City Council may (DID) approve a city-owned convention center hotel tomorrow. Some cities have not had success with such ventures. (Sun photo by Algerina Perna / April 11, 2005)

One morning last spring, not long before Baltimore would find itself neck-deep in divisive arguments about building a public hotel, Myrtle Beach, S.C., readers unfolding their hometown newspaper probably rubbed their eyes, thinking they'd picked up a flea market circular.

"Need some slightly used bed comforters?" a front-page story began. Have any use for a couple of hundred pillows? Tissue box covers? A lifetime supply of travel-sized soap and shampoo?

"If so, the Myrtle Beach Hotel Board Corp. has a deal for you."

Just two years after a buoyant ribbon cutting, after politicians effused over how this sleek, city-owned hotel would turn South Carolina's beach getaway into a desirable corporate destination, Myrtle Beach was hawking the soap.

Baltimore's City Council is poised to approve tomorrow a city-owned convention center hotel. Though it would be Baltimore's costliest public project, Mayor Martin O'Malley and the hotel's other fans say paying for it with $305 million in revenue bonds is not only is a bargain, but it's also all but risk-free.

But as cities across the country rush to build hotels and claim convention riches, some find horror stories and others, a mixed verdict. At best are cities like Houston. Though the opening of a new hotel hurt ones already in existence, a city official there says the extra rooms have helped to double their conventions this year.

Undaunted, hotel proponents here want their Hilton. Unleash the floodgates of meetings business, they say, watch the prosperity spill over into the entire downtown market, count the extra dollars, the sheer profit, that will roll into the city's coffers.

Myrtle Beach begs to differ.

So do St. Louis, Omaha, Neb., and Overland Park, Kan. - all cities that used public money to build hotels. Failing hotels.

Other cities playing innkeeper, places like Houston and Austin, Texas, have sunnier outlooks. While awaiting their promised convention gold rushes, they might be short of projections on room rates and occupancy goals - but they're making ends meet.

That, industry analysts say, is as good as it gets.

The convention market that Baltimore wants to further invest in is anything but a sure thing, they say. It's fraught with imbalance as more and more cities build and expand facilities and more and more of them go for headquarters hotels on the side - all to capture a meetings business that's stuttering, trying to shake off the damage from the post-Sept. 11 travel industry chill.

According to Tradeshow Week, the convention industry is slowly recovering from 2001, but not to the levels of the 1990s. In 2004, events nationwide rose 2.3 percent. Attendance, however, slipped slightly from about 51 million people to 50 million.

"The convention market right now has become quite saturated with supply, so a lot of cities are finding they have to give away the space to attract visitors," says Anne Van Praagh, an analyst for Moody's Investors Service.

Convention centers are "money losers," she says. "And now we're seeing that many of the hotels built to accommodate [them] are struggling to survive."
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Man, what great designs....  I would love Omaha to have one of those.  Maybe someday.  

Speaking of Marriott, I wonder when the Marriott in Regency was built?  I'm thinking around 1980 or '81?  I finally was in that hotel last summer when friends of mine were staying in it...  I got to spend time in there, and hang out at the pool.  Pretty nice place...
jgomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jgomaha »

You were very close... it was completed in 1982.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

RockHarbor wrote:Man, what great designs....  I would love Omaha to have one of those.  Maybe someday.  

Speaking of Marriott, I wonder when the Marriott in Regency was built?  I'm thinking around 1980 or '81?  I finally was in that hotel last summer when friends of mine were staying in it...  I got to spend time in there, and hang out at the pool.  Pretty nice place...
And if memory serves Des Moines got one around the same time, but it was in downtown Des Moines and 30 stories tall.  I've stayed there and it's a really nice high rise downtown hotel.  

Just saying....
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Someone was just asking the forum...
Does anyone still have the renderings of the originally proposed Qwest Center Marriott?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I think it's been pretty well expunged from the internet.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

RNcyanide wrote:I think it's been pretty well expunged from the internet.
Yeah, I just spent 30 minutes trying to find it. Why? I have no clue...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Louie wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:I think it's been pretty well expunged from the internet.
Yeah, I just spent 30 minutes trying to find it. Why? I have no clue...
Funny thing is....I did the same thing to no avail.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Lol, I did the same thing too. I found a couple broken image links from a user's private website on the Growomaha forum, but they weren't archived.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Overall, I don't think it was overly impressive, but of course it was 600 rooms and 20-30 stories. Would have had a nice impact on the skyline.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

marriott.jpg
marriott.jpg (117.88 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Neat! Where did you find it??
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nice, how many stories was that supposed to be. I tried counting and its obvious it is over 20 but I can't tell if it is 30 or not.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Nice, how many stories was that supposed to be. I tried counting and its obvious it is over 20 but I can't tell if it is 30 or not.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

That sketch looks like something out of a Superman cartoon from the 1940's.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

It looks kind of ominous. It would be nice to have for the sake of having a tall building, but It's kind of ugly.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Looks like something from the 1927 film Metropolis.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

I'd still much rather have that than the Hilton though... :( :(
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Midwestern wrote:I'd still much rather have that than the Hilton though... :( :(
I feel like it would have set an entirely different vibe in North Downtown. Buildings would be taller, more interesting things would be down there, the crappy suburban hotels would have been done differently, etc.

The Bride