Page 3 of 3

Re: Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:01 pm
by NovakOmaha
There were other renderings that looked better...like daytime.

Re: Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:12 am
by skinzfan23
RNcyanide wrote:
Midwestern wrote:I'd still much rather have that than the Hilton though... :( :(


I feel like it would have set an entirely different vibe in North Downtown. Buildings would be taller, more interesting things would be down there, the crappy suburban hotels would have been done differently, etc.

I sometimes wonder about this as well. I think it would have set a precedent and created a different vibe away from the suburban looking hotels that were all built in North Downtown.

Marriott

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:40 am
by NovakOmaha
Brad wrote:Capitol District last night from the Helicopter:
Image


This horse is just as dead now as it was in 2003 but I've got to tilt at windmills one more time...

IF the hotel chosen by Hal Daub (the highrise) had been built look at all the land that could have been developed. Yes, yes, yes, it's also a height thing but take a look at the picture. The amount of land that the Hilton takes up is obscene. And 800 room hotel, or even the 525 room one that was proposed could have been 20-30 or more floors. And if the 525 room one was built and an expansion was warranted, as was the case, a shorter addition could have been built.

Just lamenting....

Re: Official: Capitol District

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:51 am
by PotatoeEatsFish
NovakOmaha wrote:
Brad wrote:Capitol District last night from the Helicopter:
Image


This horse is just as dead now as it was in 2003 but I've got to tilt at windmills one more time...

IF the hotel chosen by Hal Daub (the highrise) had been built look at all the land that could have been developed. Yes, yes, yes, it's also a height thing but take a look at the picture. The amount of land that the Hilton takes up is obscene. And 800 room hotel, or even the 525 room one that was proposed could have been 20-30 or more floors. And if the 525 room one was built and an expansion was warranted, as was the case, a shorter addition could have been built.

Just lamenting....

The Great Wall of Hilton annoys me to no end.

Re: Official: Capitol District

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:53 am
by Coyote
Does anyone remember the politics behind that decision? Who benefited the most in that decision?

Re: Official: Capitol District

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:55 am
by Brad
Coyote wrote:Does anyone remember the politics behind that decision? Who benefited the most in that decision?


To lessen the burden on tax payers:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3424&hilit=Mariott

Re: Official: Capitol District

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:13 pm
by edsas
Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Does anyone remember the politics behind that decision? Who benefited the most in that decision?


To lessen the burden on tax payers:
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... it=Mariott


I seem to remember Fahey calling Hilton more "Union-friendly" than Mariott. I remember him using that as one of his deciding factors.

Re: Official: Capitol District

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:30 pm
by NovakOmaha
edsas wrote:
Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Does anyone remember the politics behind that decision? Who benefited the most in that decision?


To lessen the burden on tax payers:
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... it=Mariott


I seem to remember Fahey calling Hilton more "Union-friendly" than Mariott. I remember him using that as one of his deciding factors.


I want to say is was out of spite against Hal Daub. Also it was cheaper & of course that always plays into it. The proposed Marriot was 525 rooms & the wisdom was that 400 rooms would be just fine.

Re: Official: Capitol District

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:36 pm
by NovakOmaha
edsas wrote:
Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Does anyone remember the politics behind that decision? Who benefited the most in that decision?


To lessen the burden on tax payers:
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... it=Mariott


I seem to remember Fahey calling Hilton more "Union-friendly" than Mariott. I remember him using that as one of his deciding factors.


I want to say is was out of spite against Hal Daub. Also it was cheaper & of course that always plays into it. The proposed Marriot was 525 rooms & the wisdom was that 400 rooms would be just fine.

I found a picture from way back when. This would have made such a different vibe.

Image

Re: Official: Capitol District

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:10 pm
by RNcyanide
Honestly the height is the only thing I like about the Marriott proposal. That's way too industrial of a look.

Re: Official: Capitol District

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:56 pm
by Linkin5
We gotta stop talking about this tower.

Re: Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:41 pm
by Joe_Sovereign
The deal was Daub picked the winner as a lame duck after losing the election. Fahey changed it out of spite or other reasons.

The cynic in me would suggest picking one group over another could be lucrative for a politician, in legal campaign contributions or possible in post mayoral jobs or contracts or deals, even in illegal cash. I am not accusing anyone of anything but building one hotel instead of another has to be worth a lot of money to the groups involved.

Re: Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:09 pm
by choke
NovakOmaha wrote:
edsas wrote:
Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Does anyone remember the politics behind that decision? Who benefited the most in that decision?


To lessen the burden on tax payers:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3424&hilit=Mariott


I seem to remember Fahey calling Hilton more "Union-friendly" than Mariott. I remember him using that as one of his deciding factors.


I want to say is was out of spite against Hal Daub. Also it was cheaper & of course that always plays into it. The proposed Marriot was 525 rooms & the wisdom was that 400 rooms would be just fine.

I found a picture from way back when. This would have made such a different vibe.

Image


That pic looks like it came out of The Great Gatsby.

Re: Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:13 pm
by Omaha Cowboy
choke wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
edsas wrote:
Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Does anyone remember the politics behind that decision? Who benefited the most in that decision?


To lessen the burden on tax payers:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3424&hilit=Mariott


I seem to remember Fahey calling Hilton more "Union-friendly" than Mariott. I remember him using that as one of his deciding factors.


I want to say is was out of spite against Hal Daub. Also it was cheaper & of course that always plays into it. The proposed Marriot was 525 rooms & the wisdom was that 400 rooms would be just fine.

I found a picture from way back when. This would have made such a different vibe.

Image


That pic looks like it came out of The Great Gatsby.


There are other renderings of this proposed hotel that make it look a bit more reserved than this one.. But indeed, it would have been an impressive development for Omaha.. Anyone who remembers my imput at the time from the old Omaha Chamber Forum (several years before this forum was created) back in 2001, will recall my profound disappointment when Fahey was elected and promptly shelved Daub's hotel..then proposed what we now know is the downtown Omaha Hilton.. But, friends, that was 15 years ago.. I've moved on. Certainly we've seen other highrise disappointments- The Wallstreet Tower debacle and recently, HDR pulling the plug on their downtown HQ's.. I agree with Novak that this Marriott, if built, would have given the area surrounding the arena and north downtown a different, perhaps more positive vibe..

That said.. I've learned over the years, there is a HUGE difference between getting excited over a proposed development vs one which actually breaks ground with tower cranes in the air. At present, I'm thrilled with the Capitol District project and potentially what it will bring to downtown Omaha..as we know for certain, this project WILL become reality and completed in a little more than a year...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Re: Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:07 am
by Athomsfere
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
That said.. I've learned over the years, there is a HUGE difference between getting excited over a proposed development vs one which actually breaks ground with tower cranes in the air. At present, I'm thrilled with the Capitol District project and potentially what it will bring to downtown Omaha..as we know for certain, this project WILL become reality and completed in a little more than a year...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Whoa there, lay off the sane and rationalist propaganda! Let us lament!

Jokes aside, agreed. But I think that rendering is gorgeous. I'd love to see it or something like it built North Downtown or south a bit to pull the skyline out. (and look like a sexy, sexy building from another city)

Re: Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:31 pm
by Omaha Cowboy
Athomsfere wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
That said.. I've learned over the years, there is a HUGE difference between getting excited over a proposed development vs one which actually breaks ground with tower cranes in the air. At present, I'm thrilled with the Capitol District project and potentially what it will bring to downtown Omaha..as we know for certain, this project WILL become reality and completed in a little more than a year...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


Whoa there, lay off the sane and rationalist propaganda! Let us lament!

Jokes aside, agreed. But I think that rendering is gorgeous. I'd love to see it or something like it built North Downtown or south a bit to pull the skyline out. (and look like a sexy, sexy building from another city)


LOL.. And to your point about a potential building, such as this, pulling the skyline out.. I completely agree :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Re: Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:09 pm
by mr. omaha
Found another view of this proposal:

IMG_1361.JPG
IMG_1361.JPG (84.89 KiB) Viewed 213 times

Re: Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:34 pm
by skinzfan23
I also like the enclosed walkway a lot more in that design.

Re: Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:32 am
by Greg S
I remember how disappointed everyone was when Fahey passed on the high rise Marriott in favor of the Hilton. I remember he started referring to the Hilton as a "mid-rise."

I have absolutely no recollection of Fahey partly justifying the Hilton because it was more union friendly though.....


Greg

Re: Never built Omaha Marriott Hotel

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:30 pm
by NovakOmaha
One other thing about this design. Think of the land that would have been free for other development rather the current design needing so much more land for rooms.