80 Dodge

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

adam186
Planning Board

80 Dodge

Post by adam186 »

Well, since the online paper is out I might as well start a thread for it.

From OWH:
The nearly $100 million 80Dodge project will replace a vacant building and parking lot that were used for 35 years as a General Motors Training Center, then a Christian school and, most recently, a Vatterott College site.

In their place would rise a contemporary glass and concrete building that, in the first phase, would feature 19,500 square feet of ground-floor retail, 72,000 square feet of office space on two floors and as many as 72 condos selling for from just under $200,000 to more than $1 million.

If the condos sell as well as the developers expect, a parking garage, 12 rowhouses and two more condo towers are planned.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... id=2330201
Last edited by adam186 on Wed May 28, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Adam...  tsk tsk... the site isn't up yet.  ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This Development is ABSOLUTELY |expletive| FANTASTIC!!!

Just what we need in this part of town.  Its great seeing the boom spread, it started downtown, then midtown, then to Dundee, the Aksarben, now District 66.  AWSOME!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big E wrote:Adam...  tsk tsk... the site isn't up yet.  ;)

-Big E
Some here have known about this for a while yet.
This is going to kick |expletive| to the so called mid town development even though it is West of 72nd St.
5 minutes to deployment and images.

This will blow you away!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Some here have known about this for a while yet.
This is going to kick |expletive| to the so called mid town development even though it is West of 72nd St.
5 minutes to deployment and images.

This will blow you away!!!
They are in the paper

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Cool - 80dodge went another 24 hr present.
So it is the Vatterot Campus. Still more to come!
This is a kick |expletive| develop!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Another $100,000,000 so between Aksarben Village, Turner Park and Now this....

$600 Million in just 3 developments.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

80dodge now online!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

As if I have to say, FANTASTIC!

This is what the whole Dodge St. corridor should be lined with from downtown to 90th St.  It's nice to see it start to happen!!!

I love that they're calling 80th and Dodge "West Omaha".  Haha.

It's an interesting design, too.  Does anyone know what the time table for site prep/construction is?
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Brad wrote:Another $100,000,000 so between Aksarben Village, Turner Park and Now this....

$600 Million in just 3 developments.
Ya, it's amazing.  Between all the projects underconstruction and proposed we probably have $2 billion in development going on right now. :dancing:
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Wow, that was a good job keeping tight lipped by all in the know.  

I'm blown away, that's really going to be another great development!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Wow, incredible! ... it's looking like the 'Crossroads district' has been moved west just a bit.

Okay, NOW we may have a condo glut.  There's no question the baby boomers are driving Omaha's downtown condo boom ... does anyone else wonder if many of these suburban migrants... are going to find this location a little more 'desirable' than downtown?  I know I sound like a boring broken record to many, but I'm very concerned about the Wallstreet tower going forward.  I think projects like this, 'Tribedo', etc are going to slowly chip away at downtown demand.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

This is great, maybe the density will eventually (sooner rather than later) spread towards Crossroads and see the implementation of some of the OBD goals for the area.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Though various sources of info, I've learned that these condo developments are predicted to replace the single family home as "the american dream." The baby boomers don't want to take care of a yard, snow removal, whatever, and use Gen-x-ers want to live in a more cultural environment with much to do close to our doorsteps instead of bland cookie cutter housing tracts way out in suburbia. Thus I think if this prediction holds true (and I'm all aboard for living in a condo someday in a cultured part of town) then we should be able to support all of these new condo developments no matter what part of the city they are in.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Great looking infill project.

I'm kinda with Jeff though in that in the short term, we may be building condo projects too rapidly and may have an excess of available units. I hope I am proven wrong.
Long term, I agree with Titos in that I think this is the way (hopefully) that society is headed for the "normal" housing situation. Projects like these will hopefully pull back the reins a bit on the sprawlzilla monster.

Overall, great project that adds another feather in our great city's cap. I'm definitely liking the potential density with all 3 phases done.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:I'm kinda with Jeff though in that in the short term, we may be building condo projects too rapidly and may have an excess of available units. I hope I am proven wrong.
This one is shopping for a completely different person.  There are a lot of people that don't want to live downtown but want the condo lifestyle.
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

It also gives more options to those who may move to Omaha with corporate transfers, etc.
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

I don't think demand will be a big problem. Look at the number of Offices between 80th and 120th on or near Dodge Street.  These condos are unique with their location and with so much retail in the development.

I hope this means the City will improve the sidewalks and crosswalks in the area for more pedestrian traffic.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I love this project!  I think it is great how they are planning on tying the existing Beverly hills plaza in with the project.  Maybe this can begin to spread throughout the rest of the area, because right now that little stretch from 72nd to 84th is UGLY.  This will do wonders for the area.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I've always thought it would be awesome to put a highrise where the Beverly Hills Plaza is.

And as far as too many condos...well, the # of new condos in Omaha is still a few thousand less than the population growth per year in the Omaha metro. So I'm not really worried.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Don't all excited just yet, the article in OWH states:

Once approved by the city, construction will begin once half the condos are reserved, Bunger said. The goal, he said, is to hold a groundbreaking this fall and complete the first phase in 18 months.

So, we still have a little while before anything is gonna be done here. But, hands down to the developers! Nice job guys!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

That's standard fare for a project like this GI.  You don't expect that to damper our enthusiasm, do you?
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

I would like to point out that this project is the first to put a swimming pool, some office space, and a bunch of condos on top of an existing strip mall in Omaha!

Alley Poyner and the developers pulled out a big ole can o' whoop |expletive| on this concept and design.

This will serve as a catalyst for new development in the areas around it, and Omaha by designs vision for this area is one step closer to becoming a reality.
Bobcat
Home Owners Association

Post by Bobcat »

Kudos Redfield!  What an exciting project and concept in a good location.  I have to side with gisbuxfan on the announcement, and Stargazer waiting to start for a presold number of condos isn't exactly standard fare for similar mixed use developments.  Indeed several successful projects similar to this nationwide are started and completed, despite the number of presales, because the developers are well capitalized by pension funds or private equity.  The article indicates that this project is not in such a position and will require a certain level of presales, often times fueling delays and sometimes even cancellation. The financing for these types of projects has changed the last few years.  Lenders are requiring higher amounts of equity up front.   Redfield are sales starting soon, hence the announcement? Being able to delay the announcement until cranes are onsight would send a real message to the potential tenants and dismiss any skepticism in the marketplace ...i.e. too many condos ... IMHO such an early announcement in today's market is more disadvantageous than not.  Aren't we experiencing this with the Wall St. Tower?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

redfield wrote:I would like to point out that this project is the first to put a swimming pool, some office space, and a bunch of condos on top of an existing strip mall in Omaha!
Now there's a narrow set of criteria... :lol:

I'd like to point out when someone puts a mixed use condo and swimming pool on top of a strip mall on the moon it will ALSO be the first of its kind on the moon.  :;):

-Big E
Stable genius.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Being able to delay the announcement until cranes are on sight would send a real message to the potential tenants and dismiss any skepticism in the marketplace

We wish!  We had to submit to the planning department yesterday, which meant the project became public knowledge yesterday.  There was no way of delaying this announcement any further.  

Yes, we will start taking reservations right away, and our sales center should be open late spring.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Now there's a narrow set of criteria...

We're still first!!!!!!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Don't forget the shorter commute to Fremont.
Bobcat
Home Owners Association

Post by Bobcat »

Redfield, if we can agree that the sales would have been more effective if the developers waited until cranes were on sight (indicating a stronger financial position from the developer), than we can probably agree that, in general, condo sales are not like they were in 2002 to 2004 (peak condo sales in most major markets), crowds are not lining up for pre sales lotteries and today's market requires more ingenuity and tact from the developers ...  simply put I would like to see these developers have their actions speak louder than words and just build the project.  It's an exiting project and will stand on it's own.  No need for the developers and participants to postulate to the World Herald on how nice everything will be if they can reach the number of presales needed to get financing.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:
Touche.

-Big E
Stable genius.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Big E wrote:
Stargazer wrote:
Touche.

-Big E
Indeed, definitely a big selling point. So many reasons for commuting to Fremont are running through my head right now.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Some among us, as an apparent condition of otherwise living the ultimate urban lifestyle, are tormented with a daily commute to our most distant of bedroom communities.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:Some among us, as an apparent condition of otherwise living the ultimate urban lifestyle, are tormented with a daily commute to our most distant of bedroom communities.
Some among us, as an apparent condition of otherwise living the ultimate suburban lifestyle, are tormented with a daily need to stop being an admin so they can say what's really on their mind.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Ouch, I guess I forgot to add my discussion calming 'smiley' face. :)

Okay, back to 80Dodge.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes - Please - Back to the topic if you please!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

You know folks..It's projects like these: 80 Dodge, Midtown Crossing at MofO, and AkSarBen Village which will signal Omaha's good health and vibrancy 20, 30, 50 years down the line..Solid and innovative urban infill neighborhood mixed use development..

If you ask me (and yes, I'm a charter member of the 'height obsessed club') what are the most important developments our city could have (a wish list if you will)? Would I say skyscrapers? An IKEA/Nordstrom or other new to Omaha commercial/retail?? etc etc..I say it's a NO BRAINER. Give me an 80 Dodge or Midtown Crossing project over a cluster of 400+ foot skyscrapers downtown any day of the week..

As stated, successful urban infill within the core parts of our city is the hands down most important factor in building a growing, vibrant, healthy and cosmopolitan Omaha metropolitan area..

We should all be doing cartwheels upon hearing project announcements like 80 Dodge..I did and almost broke my neck in the process..  :;): ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Give me an 80 Dodge or Midtown Crossing project over a cluster of 400+ foot skyscrapers downtown any day of the week..
Infill projects such as these are all good Lou, but that might be a stretch. :;): I consider a cluster a good 3 to 4, and the day someone announces 3-4 400ft towers downtown, I'll need a change of pants. :lol:

That being said, your right on the money regarding these great infill projects ensuring Omaha's inner vibrancy for years to come. :)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Being a charter height obsessed club member, it seriously pained me to write that one to tell you the truth Josh..

:lol: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, I'll take these developments over, say, a -single- 800 footer.  But I'd definitely trade them for a 'cluster' of 400 footers. :)