80 Dodge

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

We've gone through a somewhat significant redesign on the project, which will probably push our time table back a bit.  There is a chance still for an April groundbreaking, but we have a lot of work to do to get there.  Demo starting in April may be more likely.

We turned the pool 90 degrees to maximize the windows, moved some other stuff around in the amenities area, and in the first tower we changed from 9 smaller units per floor to 7 larger units per floor.  Simply put, we are getting more demand for larger units than expected.  Even though the new floorplans are complete, and we have the design of the changed amenities level, the architects, engineers, developers, and contractors have alot of work to do still in order to meet our target date.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Do these larger units have more rooms (for a larger family) or do they demand more space? Is there the same demand for larger units downtown?
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

They contain the same number of bedrooms.  The added space is really across the board, but one big area was making some of the bedrooms bigger.

I can't speak for all of downtown, but at Riverfront Place we have had strong demand for the larger units in tower two, including the top floor penthouse which was one of the first to sell.  At jLofts, 3 of our last 4 sales have been penthouses.  I think that the big money, more sophisticated buyers know that now is the time to be shopping while the real estate market is a little slow.  I suspect that by the time our market recovers and gets hot again, most of the prime units in the best locations will have been picked off.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's great news.  

So what do you do then all the best units get "picked off"?  Does it get a lot harder to finish selling the remaining units?
Bobcat
Home Owners Association

Post by Bobcat »

The recent posts are reminding me of points I’ve made regarding Jlofts, 80 Dodge and Wall Street Tower.  In Omaha there is always a grand announcement by the developers saying the project will be complete a year or two prior to actual completion.  Personally, I get tired of the smoke blowing and it reinforces the developer’s inexperience at completing residential condo projects.  I have lived in three condo projects (Virgina, Colorado and Florida) where I committed to pre sales and the developer delivered on or before announced completion time.  The more accomplished and successful developers get it done, often without much fanfare.  Actions speak louder than words.  Just get the project done already and quite blowing smoke up the populaces rear end.  JLofts said end of 07, here we are at January 2008 and we can see the project is very far behind that time frame.  Don’t get me wrong, I am so excited to see these projects happen, just think they should take a different approach, which would probably help their sales.  Didn’t mean to rant, but all the current technique accomplishes is a diminishing of the developer’s credibility.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bobcat wrote:The recent posts are reminding me of points I’ve made regarding Jlofts, 80 Dodge and Wall Street Tower.  In Omaha there is always a grand announcement by the developers saying the project will be complete a year or two prior to actual completion.  Personally, I get tired of the smoke blowing and it reinforces the developer’s inexperience at completing residential condo projects.  I have lived in three condo projects (Virgina, Colorado and Florida) where I committed to pre sales and the developer delivered on or before announced completion time.  The more accomplished and successful developers get it done, often without much fanfare.  Actions speak louder than words.  Just get the project done already and quite blowing smoke up the populaces rear end.  JLofts said end of 07, here we are at January 2008 and we can see the project is very far behind that time frame.  Don’t get me wrong, I am so excited to see these projects happen, just think they should take a different approach, which would probably help their sales.  Didn’t mean to rant, but all the current technique accomplishes is a diminishing of the developer’s credibility.
Like they are doing with Midtown Crossing?  Heck they were the last to announce and they are further along than any of the others.
Bobcat
Home Owners Association

Post by Bobcat »

Precisely Brad, let's not forget the Holland Performing Arts Center either.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Didn’t mean to rant

Yes you did.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Strip mall makeover joins changes along Dodge

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10238246

A longtime strip mall on Omaha's main strip is getting a $2 million makeover.

Beverly Hills Plaza at 78th and Dodge Streets will unveil plans today for a new look, including contemporary European-style overhangs, muted earth-tone colors and 18-foot facades.

Renovation of the plaza — a 50,000-square-foot area — will incorporate a pedestrian-friendly design that is in line with new Omaha By Design standards. The new look will include wider sidewalks, green buffers, trees, landscaping, outdoor patio seating and parking spaces designed for better traffic flow.
Plans for the project, which is estimated to cost $6 million, include remodeling the old Roberts Pool & Spa building to house Piccolo's Florist & Gifts, demolishing the old Piccolo's building and adding a restaurant and retail area closer to the nearby Keystone Trail.

A mixed-use, three-story building on Dodge will include 12 two-bedroom apartments above about 7,000 square feet of ground-level retail space.

Meanwhile, a 12-story condominium project, 80Dodge, is planned at 80th Street and West Dodge Road.

Sixteen condos are reserved in the nearly $100 million project, which includes a tower of condos with retail and office space on the bottom three floors, said project spokeswoman Loretta Carroll. Subsequent phases of the project include a row of town houses, a parking garage and two more towers.

Condo prices range from $195,000 to $800,000, excluding the penthouse. The smallest unit is about 900 square feet, and the largest — excluding the penthouse — will be about 3,000 square feet.

Beverly Hills Plaza, which has 21 retailers, will blend its contemporary look with 80Dodge.

Construction on the shopping center is scheduled to start this spring and last six months.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I set up a page to keep folks up to date on the project as it moves along.

Check out the full size images of the new renderings.  It's pretty cool stuff, especially the pool.

http://80dodge.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

adam186 wrote:I set up a page to keep folks up to date on the project as it moves along.

Check out the full size images of the new renderings.  It's pretty cool stuff, especially the pool.

http://80dodge.spaces.live.com/default.aspx
I wish those renderings had all three towers.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sweet! Thanks for posting Adam!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome!  However I thought there were 3 towers?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I continue to love this project.  I can't wait until this thing gets built.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Brad wrote:Awesome!  However I thought there were 3 towers?
Yes, it is a 3 phase project.  The other 2 towers haven't been designed yet.  Besides, we're only marketing that one tower right now and don't want to confuse anybody.

You won't even recognize that area in another year or 2.  Between the Childrens expansion, Beverly Hills Plaza makeover, and a new 12 story building that close together is pretty remarkable.  We're are getting anxious to knock that building down!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

adam186 wrote:
Brad wrote:Awesome!  However I thought there were 3 towers?
Yes, it is a 3 phase project.  The other 2 towers haven't been designed yet.  Besides, we're only marketing that one tower right now and don't want to confuse anybody.

You won't even recognize that area in another year or 2.  Between the Childrens expansion, Beverly Hills Plaza makeover, and a new 12 story building that close together is pretty remarkable.  We're are getting anxious to knock that building down!
Three?  Where would the others be?
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Directly behind Beverly Hills Plaza.  Its currently a large parking lot.
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

Very nice project...best of luck to you Adam moving forward with this, and, hopefully, the other two towers...
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Hey, thanks alot Whale Shark.:D   I'm glad you like it; we're always pleased to receive compliments like that.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Those are great renderings. That stretch of Dodge reminds me of some places I've seen in Atlanta. Broad streets but lined with nice mid to lowrises.
DTO
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Just letting everyone know that I created a MySpace page for 80 Dodge.  I know, I'm a total geek.  Anyway, if any of you guys would like to support this project we would love to have you as a friend.

http://www.myspace.com/80dodgecondos
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

hey adam, are you going to reply to my last email  :)

I am coming up with some grand ideas   8)
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

If anybody here has not yet seen our model and showroom for 80 Dodge, we are hosting a wine tasting party tonight from 5-8pm.  We have Winestyles coming in with some of their wines and cheese trays.  The model is at 210 N 78th Street, on the 3rd floor of the Access Bank Building.

Hope to see some of you here.
Bob
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Bob »

This thread died off, are you guys still on schedule for the April start???
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Hi Bob, we are still on schedule for demo of the existing building this spring or summer.  Work is set to start on Beverly Hills Plaza very very soon.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Alright, so I have a few questions about the other 2 towers. They were news to me, maybe because they were mentioned previously in the thread and I didn't see it, or maybe I just have a complete lack of knowledge on this development.

Not sure if this can even be answered, but when can one expect to see renderings with the other two towers involved? Is there a specific date for the next two towers to come into play?

Also, are they supposed to be the same height as the first tower?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They change these towers all the time so who knows.  Look at riverfront place, that thing gained floors after the first one went so well!  Lots just hope the first 80dodge goes up and is so successful and they make them bigger and build them soon.

The plan was always 3 towers but the newer renderings do not show the other two because they are working on selling the first tower for now.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Plaza redo, retail project coming soon along stretch of Dodge

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10318864
Beverly Hills Plaza unveiled plans in January for a $2 million makeover that will include wider sidewalks, green buffers, trees, landscaping, outdoor patio seating and parking spaces designed for better traffic flow.
The City Council on Tuesday approved the rezoning, mixed-use development agreement and final plat of the 80Dodge project.

To make room for 80Dodge, the project's developer is working with Anderson Excavation to demolish the former Vatterott College building, but no date has been set, said 80Dodge spokeswoman Loretta Carroll. Any 80Dodge construction must be coordinated with the Beverly Hills Plaza contractor, and that contractor won't be selected until early May, she said.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Work to start on Beverly Plaza towards the end of June.  They applied a couple weeks ago for the permits, and that is about a 5 week process.  Work should start very quickly once the permits are in hand.

Can't start on demo of the old Vatterott building until we see how their staging and temporary use of the parking lot where phase 2 & 3 will go will impact the space needed for the demo crews and equipment.  I am now expecting demo in early fall.  Based on this timing, it is unlikely we will be able to start pouring concrete on phase one until early next year :(
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Work on Beverly Plaza's refacing scheduled to begin 7/7. Should start to see equipment start to arrive on the parking lot behind (where phase 2 and 3 of 80 Dodge will be) next week. The start was a little delayed due to steel delays.

Big party at the 80 Dodge showroom 7/24 (6-????pm) to celebrate!

Demo tentatively planned for fall as work on Beverly winds up.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

As any of you who have driven by Beverly Plaza recently may have noticed, work is now underway on the new facade to match the 80 Dodge development.  To celebrate the beginning of construction, our first phase, 80 Dodge will be hosting a celebration this Thursday starting at 6pm at our showroom.  We'll have free wines and cheeses from wine-styles and other refreshments.

If you've never been through our showroom, please come check it out.  We're on the 3rd floor of Access Bank at 78th & Davenport (right behind Jams).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

http://www.ketv.com/money/16956292/detail.html
www.ketv.com wrote:Just down the street from the mall, business is booming. The Beverly Hills Plaza and the 80 Dodge Condominiums next to it are right on track, developers said, for a 2010 opening. Twenty-five percent of the luxury condos are already sold.

"It's going well," said NP Dodge Real Estate agent Chris Redfield. "We're on track to get this building going soon."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I wonder if they new what they were going to uncover when they started removing the old roof!  There is a huge old vintage pepsi logo painted down the east side of the building.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:I wonder if they new what they were going to uncover when they started removing the old roof!  There is a huge old vintage pepsi logo painted down the east side of the building.
Here is that photo and others:

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Brad wrote:
Brad wrote:I wonder if they new what they were going to uncover when they started removing the old roof!  There is a huge old vintage pepsi logo painted down the east side of the building.
Here is that photo and others:

Awesome!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

• what a cool old sign!
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

The sidewalk has been redone.  The new facade should be starting up soon or already happening.  This will be a sneak peek at the facade for the tower portion of the project.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I drove my Mother by the shopping center by shear coincidence today and she saw the Varly Drug sign and it brought back memories for her of how she used to go in there late in the evening and pick up the next day's Daily Racing Form, which she would study the night before going to Aksarben.

She is one of the few people I knew who at least broke even at the horse track over many many years.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I was out around 76th & Dodge yesterday, and there seemed to be a big yellow spinning crane up at this project.  Unless there is something else being built right near it.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.