80 Dodge

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

After reading my post, D'Shawn will probably never speak to me again..

:)  ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

I didn't know we had a choice on what kind of development we get.

I think this project kicks |expletive|.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Raraavis wrote:I didn't know we had a choice on what kind of development we get.

I think this project kicks |expletive|.
Just a hypothetical..And I agree, this project kicks |expletive|..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Just curious --- shouldn't this have been posted in Urban?  Guess I am confused as to what is suburban to Urban
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Uffda-

We usually place developments east of 72nd street in Urban..West of 72nd street, suburban..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

thanks for the clarification
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:If you ask me (and yes, I'm a charter member of the 'height obsessed club') what are the most important developments our city could have (a wish list if you will)? Would I say skyscrapers? An IKEA/Nordstrom or other new to Omaha commercial/retail?? etc etc..I say it's a NO BRAINER. Give me an 80 Dodge or Midtown Crossing project over a cluster of 400+ foot skyscrapers downtown any day of the week..

As stated, successful urban infill within the core parts of our city is the hands down most important factor in building a growing, vibrant, healthy and cosmopolitan Omaha metropolitan area..
I couldn't agree more!  And the truth is, these kinds of developments lead to a stronger core-city, which in turn will LEAD to the cluster of 400+ footers as Omaha's urban districts become more attractive to home-buyers and businesses.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

^The Omaha evolution has begun. :;):
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

these kinds of developments lead to a stronger core-city, which in turn will LEAD to the cluster of 400+ footers as Omaha's urban districts become more attractive to home-buyers and businesses.

Well put.

We have a lot of momentum downtown, and there are very cool things going on, but for our downtown to really achieve it's full potential (ie. clusters of 400+ footers), all of Omaha around it needs to continue to fill out.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Well, every time I am back in Omaha, I am enjoying all the growth where ever in the city it may be. However, as for west of 72nd street being Suburban...
We usually place developments east of 72nd street in Urban..West of 72nd street, suburban..
We are gonna need to fix that...last time I checked Omaha doesn't stop till nearly Hwy 31! I vote to make 114th St, the center of Omaha! Well, it will be once the whole Elkhorn thing has gone through...ok, thats my bunny trail!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I don't think the center of Omaha needs to be enslaved to the geographical boundaries of the city.

Like when I was listening to a drunk lady talking on her phone near 50th and Dodge, and heard her say "I'm downtown." No. City designations as urban and suburban aren't solely dependent on blanancing the amount of land on either side. Besides the type of development (density vs. sprawl) there are also several historical factors to take into account.

If you live in the city, you recognize that there is a clear difference between the city east of 72nd street and west of 72nd. The difference being the development west of 72nd is primarily suburban oriented growth.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lets not get too far off track here on this thread for this wonderful 80Dodge project.

That said - If you talk to someone in my parents generation (born 1920-30) Omaha ended where the streetcar line ended on 54th in Dundee and the bus line on 72nd. It is the original and historical demarcation line. End of discussion.

Now - back to the 80Dodge project.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I see UNO/Elmwood Park/Memorial Park as being the very western edge of "urban Omaha," with an urban "corridor" continuing west on Dodge.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Shameless advertisement, sorry guys.  But it does offer some good information. :D

http://omahaevolution.com/ProjectRender ... eflyer.pdf
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

One step closer.  The City of Omaha approved the 80 Dodge project earlier this week. :D
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It passed the Omaha Planning committee and now needs to rezone the area and pass the City Council.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

That's correct Coyote, I should've made that clearer.  This will without a doubt pass the Council.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

From what I have heard it breezed through the Planning Board.
I do not see much opposition to this the rest of the way. They have the ducks in a nice row.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Current Photos:

Bobcat
Home Owners Association

Post by Bobcat »

Coyote, I agree that the ducks are in a nice row, only one remains - half of the condos have to be reserved before starting construction.  Adam186, how are reservations going?  Is the project close to having the number of reservations required to start construction?
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Sales are going great.  A lot of interest is being shown by potential buyers.  Right now, I think we're sitting at about 10% reserved.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I realize that it's advantageous to put a positive spin on the statistics, and I'm glad to hear that "sales are going great," but in other words, you're saying that, NO, at 10% reserved, the project is not at all close to starting construction. :D
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Streets, give me a break.  This project was announced just over a month ago, and you think 10% reserved isn't a good sign?  You either have unbelievable expectations or are looking for a reason to criticize this project.  Give Adam and his fellow agents a couple of months to work their magic, and I'm sure there'll be a good number of reservations.  

This project really is unique and has a number of great features going for it.  This and the other west midtown condo project (Farnam Woods, or whatever its called) are appealing to a much different crowd than the downtown/ Dundee condos and have one HUGE built in plus that can't be rivaled by any of these other projects - Westside school district.  I love it downtown in my condo, but I'm 27 and single.  If I wanted a condo and had a wife and small kids, this project would be top on my list. and given time, plenty of Omahans will figure this out and plunk down their deposits.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't see alot of people with school aged kids moving into 80 Dodge. I've never understood parents wanting to put their kids in certain schools. You've either got it or you don't. School isn't going to change that.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ben, see the smiley? :D
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Good to know that this is still on track.  The sign was off the trailer when I went by the other day.  Wasn't sure what that meant.  I'll just assume nothing and move on.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

We took the temporary banners down because the real sign is going up now.

Regarding the 10% reservations.....our design center and model are slated to open in May or June.  We feel great about where we are at right now.  The market's response to this project has been extremely positive.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is an Aerial from a couple of weeks ago:

Above 76th and Cass Looking West
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is a better one I took as I was crusing up Dodge on Friday:

adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Wow, beautifu shot.   :shock:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

80Dodge opens for early peek
Omaha World Herald wrote:The model home of a 12-story condominium project at 80th Street and West Dodge Road will open for the first time today at a private grand-opening event. The planned 80Dodge project also will have a sales office and design center on the third floor of the U.P. Streamliner Federal Credit Union Building, 210 N. 78th St. Starting June 23, the model will be open to the public from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week. Before then, anyone who wants to see the model can schedule an appointment through the project's Internet Web site, http://www.80dodge.com.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Sales Center Opens June 23rd!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

adam186 wrote:Sales Center Opens June 23rd!
I heard that on Grow Omaha.  Jeff Beals also said that you guys were in Chicago learning about condo Marketing?
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Ya, it was a great trip!  We should be on KETV during sweeps week.  I think they are doing a two part series.  Unfortunately, yours truly was not interviewed. :(
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

About time we get condos in Midtown (Upper Midtown)... that people can actually (almost) afford.  Starting at 180k right?!
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

195k, the developers decided the raise the bar a little bit on the standard finishes.

While looking at a map it's easy to look at 80th & Dodge as midtown, since it's very centrally located, we don't like being labeled as midtown, since the general public immediately identifies "midtown" with 30th & Dodge, or Dundee.  We like to think of 80 Dodge as the gateway to West Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mid West Town? Uptown?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah lets go ahead and keep Dundee as midtown, MTO.  and think something new for that area.  How about no mans land or the dead zone for now?
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

How about "the dip" since the area is mostly comm.  Anyways, I have always considered Dundee as midtown as everyone has said, but I have also considered anything in between 72nd and 90th to be "Upper Midtown."  I mean why not?!  Each to his own though =)