North Downtown Amphitheater and Club

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

North Downtown Amphitheater

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Amphitheater, club envisioned on Union Pacific land
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10289980

Mike Ogren, owner of a club called Myth, has made an offer to Union Pacific to purchase the 25-acre parcel along Cuming Street and Abbott Drive, said Jeff Kehr, general manager of Myth. Kehr said Ogren is awaiting a response from Union Pacific on the offer, the amount of which he declined to reveal.
The outdoor amphitheater, which would hold 5,000 to 7,000 people, would be used for concerts and corporate events in the warmer months. The separate two-level nightclub, a venue for dance nights and indoor concerts, would hold about 3,500, Kehr said.

A restaurant might be attached to the club, though plans are not final, Kehr said. If the restaurant idea moves forward, he said it would be a setup similar to the popular House of Blues chain that combines music and food at locations across the country.
Jensen, in the planning department, said he wonders how the proposal would mesh with the city's larger north downtown redevelopment plan, which was adopted in 2005. That plan calls for the Union Pacific site to be used for offices or a corporate headquarters.

"They have a lot of parking. Of course, our view is that the site has far more potential than a bunch of parking," Jensen said.

The concept that was given to the city included 1,240 parking stalls.
I think this idea has potential, but man, that design is flat out awful.  1,200 parking stalls?  The restaurant is not even connected to the street in any way.  This design might work in Papillion or Millard, but not in North Downtown.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Does anyone think this would happen without the ballpark?

Im sure just as many projects would be talked about with a Rosenblatt redevelopment (DRIPPING WITH SARCASM)

The ballpark changes everything for North Downtown and nothing for South O.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Jesus that's a |expletive| ocean of parking around there.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

NDizona wrote:Does anyone think this would happen without the ballpark?
Swift wrote:Jesus that's a |expletive| ocean of parking around there.
That seems to be the theme down there.  I bet they make money off their parking on nights that the Qwest is busy!  heck the "Club" could just be a front for a parking business!
Last edited by Brad on Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I hope this doesn't happen with the ballpark. I'm down with an amphitheater and another music club right there, but the design is terrible.

The whole purpose for this neighborhood was supposed to be mixed use, live/play area. This thing might as well be a Wal-Mart from the design. No apartments or anything? Really?

It's funny, this is roughly the same idea as Slowdown, but if you look at Slowdown versus this thing, Slowdown was able to fit more things in 1/5th the space.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

With the contamination concerns this might be the only affordable way to make it happen.  If they can cap the contamination as apposed to remediation it the costs are MUCH less.  It may be inevitable that this is parking for some time to come.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wonder how the music will sound with a couple of 4,400 HP Union Pacific locomotives idling right next to the property :;):
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Playing with my new favorite program :)
DTmatt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DTmatt »

I think that the idea is awesome, but the design needs a bit of work.  The way it is using the space is a bit awkward, and there are too many parking spaces.  Did anyone go to the Myth website that the World Herald linked to?  The club actually looks incredible and HUGE!
http://www.mythnightclub.com/html/
It sorts of looks like a House of Blues or something similar, and this was talked about in the article because of the attached restaurant with it.  I think if this stadium eventually gets built (and we can all hope that it does!) this place would be incredibly popular especially during the CWS.
The article also mentioned the Qwest being in direct competion with this place, but I don't think the Qwest has anything to worry about.  I don't think a club like this is going to be booking anyone like U2 or Hannah Montana.  I see a place like this being in competition with the Slowdown, or The Mid America Center.

All in all, I think they need to go back to the drawing board and come up with a design that better utilizes the space.  Cool idea though!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I actually like the idea of an outdoor amphitheater over there. I think that would be awesome. The amount of parking and lack of any other uses isn't the ideal thing I'd like to see but hopefully it can reworked if/when it does happen.
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Granted I've only been out there once or twice, but Westfair in CB could REALLY be a great outdoor venue with a little cash infusion to upgrade the facilities.  I've never understood why it isn't utilized for the big summer tours more than it is.  It could compete directly with Sandstone/Verizon down in KC.  This would be much better than trying to force a small outdoor venue in NDT.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

But there goes all that money to Iowa again. :)
DTO
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

Obviously this club is dependent on the stadium being built down there.  This ties back to the talk of changes throughout the downtown, later bar closing, a new stadium, more events at Qwest, etc.  A major club downtown Omaha would be HUGE!  It still lacks a major club to draw people to the area.  The hole in the wall bars are okay, Nomad's not bad, but you really need an anchor bar like the Cactus Cafe used to be.  Somewhere to cap off the night where people can gather after bar hopping all night.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Slowdown is major club. Esquire magazine named them "Club of the Year."

How much more major can you get?
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

Swift wrote:Slowdown is major club. Esquire magazine named them "Club of the Year."

How much more major can you get?
That's vastly different that what I was talking about.  I'm talking about a 'club' in the true sense of the word.  All big cities have their major clubs.  Not everyone is a true club goer, but either way, a city without a club isn't a major one.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I just hope we don't get this downtown.  :;):

[youtube][/youtube][/url]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Now we know why your group got kicked out of every bar you went to for your buddies bachelor party! :;):
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Stabbone99, if you can get over the homophobia (I only say this because you act like there aren't any "major" clubs Downtown), you might be surprised at DT Omaha's club offerings.  The best clubs Downtown just happen to be the gay ones (go figure!).  

And anyway, The Max is regarded by many as one of he best clubs IN THE COUNTRY, gay or straight.

Speaking of the former Catus Cafe and Downtown clubs, what's the status of the Zodiac Bar?  Maybe that would be more what you're looking for...
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Oh, and with regards to this project...BARF!!!

Good idea, but holy PARKING, that's gross.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote: Stabbone99, if you can get over the homophobia (I only say this because you act like there aren't any "major" clubs Downtown), you might be surprised at DT Omaha's club offerings.  The best clubs Downtown just happen to be the gay ones (go figure!).  

And anyway, The Max is regarded by many as one of he best clubs IN THE COUNTRY, gay or straight.
If you do go please learn to dance. i can't stand the guys who get dragged there by their girlfriends and just stand there in the way on the dance floor.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

stabone99 wrote:Not everyone is a true club goer, but either way, a city without a club isn't a major one.
Yes, forget about professional sports, major airports, public transportation and a modern art museum.  You're not a real city until you have a Cliznub with $14 Bud Light specials and enough lighting effects to induce a seizure.  That's the true mark of having made your place in the world.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I HATE clubs.  There is nothing worse than going to a place with a dace floor.  I would rather go to Urban Wine, Myth, Dundee Dell, or any dark hole in the wall bar before a stupid dance club.  

Then again, I don't go to bars to be seen, I go to sit and relax and enjoy!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I went to the minneapolis website and they usually get DJs to come that Omaha does not get like Crystal Method, Tiesto, etc.  Plus maybe omaha could land acts that would not normally come here like daft punk, lcd soundsystem, etc if this club came.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad wrote:I HATE clubs.  There is nothing worse than going to a place with a dace floor.  I would rather go to Urban Wine, Myth, Dundee Dell, or any dark hole in the wall bar before a stupid dance club.  

No wonder we've never really hung out like that together. :)
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I love the idea of a new club and outdoor amphitheater like this in North Downtown, but the layout and design of this, with all the parking, is ridiculous. It's not contextual at all.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Stabbone99, if you can get over the homophobia (I only say this because you act like there aren't any "major" clubs Downtown), you might be surprised at DT Omaha's club offerings.  The best clubs Downtown just happen to be the gay ones (go figure!).  

Speaking of the former Catus Cafe and Downtown clubs, what's the status of the Zodiac Bar?  Maybe that would be more what you're looking for...
I'm certainly not a homophobe.  I've been to the Max several times and I'd agree it's a pretty cool club/lounge.  Now, not everyone I'm friends with is cool with it and some people just don't know about it since it's typically a gay club.  But I certainly agree!

My fiance's coworker is a liquor rep down here and it sounds like it's still not there yet.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

Big E wrote:
stabone99 wrote:Not everyone is a true club goer, but either way, a city without a club isn't a major one.
Yes, forget about professional sports, major airports, public transportation and a modern art museum.  You're not a real city until you have a Cliznub with $14 Bud Light specials and enough lighting effects to induce a seizure.  That's the true mark of having made your place in the world.

-Big E
You're taking what I said out of context.  I was simply saying you know you're in a big city when you have some major club(s).  You can hate on clubs all you want, but myself and about 10-15 of my friends used to frequent downtown nearly every week.  It's been a few years since and we're rarely down here unless there's some event going on.  I'm speaking in general from the viewpoint of a 20-something person.  Girls like to dance...that's just the way it is! :mrgreen:
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

Brad wrote:I HATE clubs.  There is nothing worse than going to a place with a dace floor.  I would rather go to Urban Wine, Myth, Dundee Dell, or any dark hole in the wall bar before a stupid dance club.  

And that's your preference which is perfectly fine.  Everyone has their scene.  But I do know that people in west Omaha aren't going to drive 30 min each way for a hole in the wall bar when there's plenty out west.  The goal here is to increase the nightlife in downtown Omaha and a bunch of small bars aren't going to do that.   Just my opinion! :;):
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I love the idea of a new club and outdoor amphitheater like this in North Downtown, but the layout and design of this, with all the parking, is ridiculous. It's not contextual at all.
Agreed!  Eventually this is going to happen if the downtown explodes.  However, this plan needs some work!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

So what made you stop going Downtown?  If you haven't really gone much in two years or so you've missed out on a lot.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO,

I am surprised you did not pick up on this key fact from that article:
Ogren first looked at Des Moines as a potential location, but the population and demand weren't there, Kehr said.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

We should demo the qwest and turn it into surface parking.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

What am I 5? Of course I saw it and just chuckled to myself in delight at home. :)
DTO
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I'm not a big 'club guy', but I do think that the proposed night-club would be an important addition to DTO.  As much as some of you dislike them on a personal level, they do provide an urban 'amenity' to those inclined to go, and all large urban areas have these 'mega-clubs'.  The fact that someone from the outside, with the resources, is interested in building this complex, is a testament to Omaha's 'cache' as an entertainment destination, and frankly I'm grateful to them for the attention.

I also think it would be a potential lure for associations and other potential groups considering Omaha for a convention site.  Meeting planners and 'convention committees' look at things like this when choosing a city.  If Omaha wants to attract more/bigger/better conventions, it has to 'get real' about what these people want (i.e. a real nightlife), and this is why I think the North DT neighborhood is so important.

Boogie-oogie-oogie.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

DTO Luv wrote:What am I 5? Of course I saw it and just chuckled to myself in delight at home. :)

Although I love des moines, and hope the best for the city and cheer it on..

I chuckled to myself thinking what the Desmoines lovers/omaha haters thought of that..
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I totally agree, Ricko.  I love the idea, and I love that they're interested in Omaha, but one of these days I wish people would learn that they can't just slap their suburban template design down in urban Omaha!!!

That design/layout is a joke.  But I think the idea is great, and I think it would be HUGELY successful in North Downtown.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

ricko wrote:If Omaha wants to attract more/bigger/better conventions, it has to 'get real' about what these people want (i.e. a real nightlife), and this is why I think the North DT neighborhood is so important.

yes, and a 'real' nightlife doesn't end at 12:30 am.  

As much as I hate to see more surface parking I understand the developer's pov.  There's really no other side streets, garages or other parking in that area right now.

So here's my trifecta...

The city offers an exclusive stadium naming rights agreement to U.P. in exchanges for their land.  The city seeks private developers to build a mixed use parking structure.  Plenty of room for a club(and more) that could utilize the garage parking except during the CWS.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Uh, except that naming rights is going to help pay for the stadium. Try again.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

the1wags wrote:Uh, except that naming rights is going to help pay for the stadium.

:lol: I know, I wasn't suggesting anything deviating from that fact.  I didn't mean for free, rather offering first option for naming rights.

Maybe even naming just the field separate from the stadium or the fan fest area.  But I know the NCAA wouldn't go for that right?

Invesco Field at Mile High for instance...

I like the idea of calling it "The Railyard" .  Omaha's Union Pacific Stadium.  The Railyard for short.

But, honestly, I don't think UP would be interested.  just fantasizing aloud.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:So what made you stop going Downtown?  If you haven't really gone much in two years or so you've missed out on a lot.
The lack of 'anchor' type bar.  One where we can all hang out, maybe dance for those that dance, and just have a good party atmosphere.  I mentioned Cactus Cafe because it was the best of both worlds.  Huge bar to lounge in, another huge bar to dance in and just in general a big party bar.  I've been down for the NCAA tourney, Barstool Open, and a birthday last fall.  As well as dinner down here a few times followed by a few drinks at a bar like the Urban Wine Company.  Nomad is a cool bar, but it's so expensive I can't convince my friends to go there and just sit around all night.  We were going to come down for New Year's Eve, but it's hard convincing 15 people to come down with the selection we currently have.  We did the year before and just didn't enjoy it.  You basically have a dozen bars that are pretty similar, small, smokey (will go away), laid back bars and then Nomad and Max.  That's pretty much it really.  You can't fit 15 people into any of those bars on a busy night except Nomad and the Max.  Everyone has their preferences and ours usually involves somewhere decent sized with a good nightlife.  It is what it is!  Just rambling though...