1973 and Prior Downtown Proposals-interesting stuff

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

1973 and Prior Downtown Proposals-interesting stuff

Post by NovakOmaha »

1966 Proposal for 16th Street  Image
1973 Plan for Central Park Mall  Image  
1973 Central Park Mall  Image

Image Downtown Layout 1

Image  Downtown Layout 2

Image Marina City Sideview

Image  Marina City Plan

Image  Old Market/Jobbers Canyon 1973

Image 1973 Old Market Plan Overview

Image  1973 Old Market Plan 2

Image  UNO 1973 Plan 1

Image  Uno 1973 Plan 2

Too bad some of it never happened, good some of it didn't.  Marina City died partially because some said it was impossible to have a marina off the river there.  Check out the underground road & parking in the Old Market plan.  Also, the original plan for the Central Park Mall called for a lot more retail, restaurants and a bigger lagoon than what ultimately happened.

Anyway, fun to look at after all this time.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Some of that looks rather nice, other bits not so much.
Very interesting, all of it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

look how even more sunken the lake was going to be!  The would have been cool with the shops and the old woodman building still there...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That would have been cool to have UNO DT.

Some parts look nice but other things I'm glad didn't materialize. Too many ugly 70's buildings.
DTO
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I just did the math.  Marina City would be around 35 years old now.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I think I like all of these ideas except for the one which seems to make the Old Market a pedestrian mall. That would probably have killed it. The underground parking aspect of it is pretty cool though. We probably wouldn't have as many surface lots today if we'd built underground parking.

Interesting how in 1973 there was a plan for warehouse to residential conversions. I thought that was something that sprung from the '80s.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Holy moly, thanks for that! Like others have said, some would have been cool and others not so much. Underground parking would have been great!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

DTO Luv wrote:That would have been cool to have UNO DT.
True, but it would have been in place of the UP and World Herald buildings, so where would have those gone?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

marina city would have been cool.  Think about how much development may have come, had they done that.  Well, that, and moved conagra somewhere else.
Go Cubs Go
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

thenewguy wrote:marina city would have been cool.  Think about how much development may have come, had they done that.  Well, that, and moved conagra somewhere else.
Maybe they would have even built a tower, doubt it but possible.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Axel wrote:
True, but it would have been in place of the UP and World Herald buildings, so where would have those gone?
Because there aren't blocks and blocks and blocks and blocks and blocks of useless surface lots all over downtown?
Stable genius.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Axel wrote:
thenewguy wrote:marina city would have been cool.  Think about how much development may have come, had they done that.  Well, that, and moved conagra somewhere else.
Maybe they would have even built a tower, doubt it but possible.
Probably not. One of the things that ConAgra asked for if they were to stay downtown, was the ability to build a suburban style office park. Whoever was CEO at the time thought Jobber's Canyon was a craphole and had a suburban mind-set.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Whoever was CEO at the time thought Jobber's Canyon was a craphole and had a suburban mind-set.
Mike Harper.  Called Jobber's Canyon a "bunch of ugly brick buildings".  

Don't get me started.    :boom:
Stable genius.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Mike Harper was suffering from a common brain disorder known in architectural circles as the "Brasilian Syndrome", referring to the capital city of Brasilia, Brazil-----1960's modernism on steroids.  I guess you could say that Con-Agra's campus is a symptom of this highly curable disease, but it has to be treated in it's early stages (usually with electro-shock therapy) or the chronic (and ugly) symptoms could last for 100 years.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Big E wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Whoever was CEO at the time thought Jobber's Canyon was a craphole and had a suburban mind-set.
Mike Harper.  Called Jobber's Canyon a "bunch of ugly brick buildings".  

Don't get me started.    :boom:
I know seriously, that campus is hideous, and Jobbers Canyon would have done much more for the city.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Unfortunately, "Marina City" may have planted the seeds which led to a green light for Mike Harper's destruction of Jobbers Canyon and everything east of 10th St. There were conceptual plans for Conagra that would've kept Jobbers intact, but Harper would have none of it, and had to make his mark on the city.

Marina City would have been far better than what we ended up with. Overall, those are some very well drawn, ambitious plans indeed. Fortunately many of the architects involved turned their focus even more toward preservation.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

GetUrban wrote:Overall, those are some very well drawn, ambitious plans indeed.
No kidding.  What CAD program were they using in 1973?   :;):
Stable genius.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

#2 pencil
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:No kidding.  What CAD program were they using in 1973?   :;):
Cad version #2

A little different than the drafting I am doing today....
(My desktop at work)
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i should have finished up my engineering schooling.  :?
Go Cubs Go
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

How neat seeing these!  Thanks for posting.  Funny, I just started a thread last night (over in General Discussions) about "Omaha in the 60's and 70's", and I didn't even see this until tonight.

It is interesting seeing the concepts back then, and funny seeing that lake proposed, which is very much like Con Agra's current lake on the riverfront.  I don't like seeing pics of Jobbers Canyon, as I think of "what could have been."  Unfortunately, many didn't have the intense "preserve" mindset back then, that a lot of us have nowadays (I'm guilty of that, myself).  I really am fond of historic buildings, more and more as I get older, as I feel (along with many others, I suppose) they are a very important, satisfying part of the urban fabric and environment.  I feel you seem to enjoy the new buildings downtown more, when older ones are around to make a contrast.  That Jobber's Canyon would have made a neat loft district, with a riverfront boardwalk and park and stuff.  But, no sense dreaming about what could have been.  Of course, Con Agra's downtown campus is very nice, and many Omahans enjoy that riverfront lake and fountain and park.
Torsten Adair
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Torsten Adair »

Axel wrote:
You have the wrong blocks, which are one block further north.

When the Central Park Mall was built, the two buildings on the north side were the Northwestern Bell building (still there) and the Campbell factory (since demolished for the Holland Performing Arts Center).  

I did attend the hearings for Jobbers Canyon and the Con Agra development, but the bigger architectural mistake was demolishing the old post office building (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Post_O ... _Nebraska)) and turning 16th Street into a bleak streetscape, erecting a giant wall (the Hilton) to block off Downtown from North Omaha.

The architecture for Marina City and other unrealized projects are on display:
http://www.omaha.com/article/20130308/N ... 89932/1734

(Omaha's big failing: no sense of architectural worth.  The buildings we get are functional, but aesthetically boring.)
Coyote
City Council

Re: 1973 and Prior Downtown Proposals-interesting stuff

Post by Coyote »

I was watching the documentary Omaha Since WWII: The Changing Face of Omaha, and did a search online for "Marina City" Omaha, but found a lot of OWH pages down. This thread was really the only thread with much info on the former plans for Downtown. Is there anything else that could be posted here that people have to keep this conversation going here?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I remember the OWH in the 80's showing something like Marina City on the area where the Century Link Center is now. They also had plans for a Natural History Museum and either arena or dome on the complex. I remember one of the big hurdles was they did not want to lose Asarco......

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:I remember the OWH in the 80's showing something like Marina City on the area where the Century Link Center is now. They also had plans for a Natural History Museum and either arena or dome on the complex. I remember one of the big hurdles was they did not want to lose Asarco......

Greg
When I was in High School and College and had access to the News Databases in the library I would look up old OWH articles and I remember quite a few articles about a dome, not a large one, I think it was about 30'000 seats that was going to built DT. I think this was about the time Minneapolis was really pushing for the series and I think quite a few games had weather issues one year so the dome concept was thought up. I cannot seem to find any more info on it now without date base access.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

They don't show it in any of the pics I originally posted but I remember a rendering similar to the one with marina city where there was a 100,000 seat dome proposed about where the Clink is. Remember, the proposals for Marina City, the Market and the Mall were just those...proposals meant to spur interest in redeveloping downtown. The planning department and mayor's office and others were wanting to resuscitate downtown. It was dying. Crossroads, Westroads and other suburban growth were killing downtown retail and Regency and Old Mill and other office development were emptying downtown office buildings. They were casting for ideas. Nothing was certain or even a possibility. It was all pipe dreams. In the end it takes a mountain of cash and the will to do it. The Old Market happened because that family did it. The Arena and Convention Center happened because Hal Daub pretty much went door to door. The Gene Leahy Mall happened because Gene Leahy made it happen. Simple as that.
More recently, the Mutual of Omaha development happened because, and only because, Mutual had the cash and desire. Nobody else had a clue.
Aksarben Village happened because pretty much every major real estate company wanted to be a part of it.
In OKC the Devon Tower was built because the owner of the company's ego, or pecker, wanted to be the biggest in OKC.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

NovakOmaha wrote:They don't show it in any of the pics I originally posted but I remember a rendering similar to the one with marina city where there was a 100,000 seat dome proposed about where the Clink is.  Remember, the proposals for Marina City, the Market and the Mall were just those...proposals meant to spur interest in redeveloping downtown.  The planning department and mayor's office and others were wanting to resuscitate downtown.  It was dying.  Crossroads, Westroads and other suburban growth were killing downtown retail and Regency and Old Mill and other office development were emptying downtown office buildings.  They were casting for ideas.  Nothing was certain or even a possibility.  It was all pipe dreams.  In the end it takes a mountain of cash and the will to do it.  The Old Market happened because that family did it.  The Arena and Convention Center happened because Hal Daub pretty much went door to door.  The Gene Leahy Mall happened because Gene Leahy made it happen.  Simple as that.  
More recently, the Mutual of Omaha development happened because, and only because, Mutual had the cash and desire.  Nobody else had a clue.
Aksarben Village happened because pretty much every major real estate company wanted to be a part of it.
In OKC the Devon Tower was built because the owner of the company's ego, or pecker, wanted to be the biggest in OKC.
Pecker. That's funny, p e ni s is offensive?