1970's Book: Proposed Eastern Nebraska Int Airport Plan

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I kind of came across this by accident.  I don't know if it's even in print or where to get it, but it would be interesting to see.

http://openlibrary.org/b/OL5752099M/The ... rport_plan
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Can we view the pages? If so how, I can't figure it out.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

UNO Library has a copy or 2 of this.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I couldn't view any part of it.  It would be interesting to see tho.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'm sure there will be an airport built between Lincoln and Omaha some day... though not in my lifetime.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Stargazer wrote:I'm sure there will be an airport built between Lincoln and Omaha some day... though not in my lifetime.
I disagree.

Omaha will continue to grow as the hub airport of its region, with closeness to the center of Omaha becoming more and more of an amenity. Ground transportation connecting Omaha and Lincoln will improve, and getting to Omaha's airport from Lincoln will become easier and more efficient.

There won't be a need for an airport between Omaha and Lincoln, or in practical terms, so far outside of Omaha and away from the urban center.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

I've looked at this study several times at UNO's Library. I was to be about 2/3 the size of Denver's (DIA). The runway setup was very odd and unique. It is worth the read though I doubt it will ever happen.
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

A couple scans from the book

Map showing proposed airport and the proposed Lake Ashland

Proposed airport layout (excuse the mess at the top, couldn't get that out)
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

if done as laid out in that scan, in 1960, with rapid rail transit and the accompanied freeway structure, I contend the Omaha/Lincoln area would be double to triple its current population.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

almighty_tuna wrote:if done as laid out in that scan, in 1960, with rapid rail transit and the accompanied freeway structure, I contend the Omaha/Lincoln area would be double to triple its current population.
I'm confused.  Would the airport, freeway and rapid rail cause some kind of rise in fertility?  Would people move to the area to look at the airport development?

Seriously, if my math is correct the airport would have had 256 gates, with room for more.  It seems very DFW-like.  It was an interesting proposal and it would be worth a look at the book to see his supporting data.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

NovakOmaha wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:if done as laid out in that scan, in 1960, with rapid rail transit and the accompanied freeway structure, I contend the Omaha/Lincoln area would be double to triple its current population.
I'm confused.  Would the airport, freeway and rapid rail cause some kind of rise in fertility?  Would people move to the area to look at the airport development.
Yes.  I try as much as possible to get busy right under the glideslope.   :roll:

No.  Its timely construction though would've predated much of the larger airport expansions in the region, MCI (KC) and Stapleton in Denver therefore putting it in a better place to vie for hub expansion and also laid alternative transportation groundwork that would've made this area very attractive economically.  But yeah, i guess if you want to be a smart |expletive|...a bunch of people screwing by the airport.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

The proposed Metro Beltway, if built on the outer alignment through Washington and Saunders county, would possibly serve this propssed airport. But Rapid Rail? We can't get a starter streetcar in Omaha.

I noticed several railroad lines on the map, ex Rock Island, Missouri Pacific, and the C&NW through Irvington and Bennington, disappeared more than two decades ago. The "Lake Ashland" doesn't appear to match the more recent proposal. It looks like the Platte River would be dammed (damned?) at Mahoney State Park, not just Salt Creek. The DFW reference would seem appropriate though with that.
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

Thanks for posting the scans. Like I said.. a unique runway layout. It would be interesting to see how many movements that design could ultimately handle.
It looks like the layout would minimize taxi times to and from the runways. I always though the north-south runways should have been 12,000 ft as well but the lake looks to be a limiting factor.
:cry: Ah. the dream of what could have been.
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

zedmib wrote:Thanks for posting the scans. Like I said.. a unique runway layout. It would be interesting to see how many movements that design could ultimately handle.
It looks like the layout would minimize taxi times to and from the runways. I always though the north-south runways should have been 12,000 ft as well but the lake looks to be a limiting factor.
:cry: Ah. the dream of what could have been.
I think the design looks like it could have handled a mountain of flights.  

The idea of a huge lake and a bigger airport (I seriously doubt the need for pretty much any airport to need 256 gates) between Omaha and Lincoln is certainly enticing.  The time to do it was in the early 70's.  The only thing about that is that about now there would be talk of replacing the terminal that is over 35 years old.

While we're talking about "what if"...there should have been a domed stadium with 100,000 seats near there as well.  

One thing...Wahoo would have grown to 50,000  or 100,000 residents or so by now.

My biggest problem with the proposal?  Eastern Nebraska International Airport is dull.  Wahoo Worldport sounds cool!
"Where are you connecting through on your way to London?"  "We connect in Wahoo and then it's non stop to London.  You can get Runzas right at the gate."
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

NovakOmaha wrote:"We connect in Wahoo and then it's non stop to London.  You can get Runzas right at the gate."
:clap:
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Or they could have bought something worth a |expletive| to eat. Runzas are soggy, greasy pockets of dogshit.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

the1wags wrote:Or they could have bought something worth a |expletive| to eat. Runzas are soggy, greasy pockets of |expletive|.
Come on.  They arent your idea of good?  Ok so get a burger & fries.  
Or you can wander over to the Wahoo Wahoo Food Court and pick from the 1000 restaurants there.  Maybe head to the shopping mall with its 4000 stores, including 5, count em 5, Nordstroms, Saks, Macys, and YES!, Brandeis!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

NovakOmaha wrote:
the1wags wrote:Or they could have bought something worth a |expletive| to eat. Runzas are soggy, greasy pockets of |expletive|.
Come on.  They arent your idea of good?
That's because he is from Iowa... Communist. :;):
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Brad wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
The closest thing Iowa has to a franchise is Maid Rita.  I found them to be really bland.  Try BGs for loose meat.  ARE there any chains or franchises based in Iowa?  I just can't think of any.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Brad wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
The closest thing Iowa has to a franchise is Maid Rita.  I found them to be really bland.  Try BGs for loose meat.  ARE there any chains or franchises based in Iowa?  I just can't think of any.
And B-Bops..which is B-rate and over-hyped. The food is on par with most bowling alleys.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
Brad wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
The food is on par with most bowling alleys.
Sooo.... delicious?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

What bowling alleys do you go to?
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

I am told by family members and friends that there are funds that were given from the federal gov't for Omaha and Lincoln to choose a site.  These funds are of course held until a site can be made.  However, since Omaha and Lincoln have never been able to make a decision on where to build the airport these funds have been stored and left alone, possibly given/taken back.  I've never heard them say when this plan was in place, but I am sure its probably from the 70's as you have mentioned here.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

mcarch wrote:I am told by family members and friends that there are funds that were given from the federal gov't for Omaha and Lincoln to choose a site.  These funds are of course held until a site can be made.  However, since Omaha and Lincoln have never been able to make a decision on where to build the airport these funds have been stored and left alone, possibly given/taken back.  I've never heard them say when this plan was in place, but I am sure its probably from the 70's as you have mentioned here.
I can't imagine the funds, if indeed given out, haven't long ago gone back to the Fed govt, there's (almost) always an expiration date on these things.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Stargazer wrote:I'm sure there will be an airport built between Lincoln and Omaha some day... though not in my lifetime.
Naahhhhh...  Being close to downtown Omaha is FAR more important than being close to anything between West O & Lincoln.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Ok, this is a clear attempt to dig up something and start a flame war. Can someone who actually has moderating powers do something about this?
DTO