OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

User avatar
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:05 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Silverspoon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:09 am

I heard tonight that the last two candidates withdrew from the race at the same time leaving OPS with no immediate candidates to choose from. What is scaring candidates off? What are their biggest tasks that they are going to face after being appointed?

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2147
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Omababe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:33 am

My guess is the market is more competitive and they found greener pastures to pursue. Perhaps some of their current districts offered to pay them to stay maybe?

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby bigredmed » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:41 am

Omababe wrote:My guess is the market is more competitive and they found greener pastures to pursue. Perhaps some of their current districts offered to pay them to stay maybe?


Both of these are likely. Honestly, if you were really good at that job, and an offer came in from a school district with serious structural issues, an obstructionist teachers union, a school board who took 127 votes to determine who got to chair the board, and thinks nothing is odd about that, and when a school board member wanted compensation data, was told by the admin bureaucracy that he was not entitled to it; would you even apply? I would round file that before it got to room temperature.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby jessep28 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:38 am

The fact that both finalists simultaneously dropped out and released a joint statement seems to suggest they no longer wanted to deal with the board and/or administration.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

mistergutierrez
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby mistergutierrez » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:14 pm

During many years the board did not properly oversight the school administration, that´s why John Mackiel left with $1M in compensation while student achievement was beyond depressing. Now the Board is in the completely other side, which causes frequent clashes between BoE and superintendent.

I don't think it´s a matter of money. OPS is three times the size of their original districts and they salary here is quite high comparing to other similar size school districts. Mumin is well appreciated in his district, while Gausman not so much due to budget cuts and increase in class sizes. However, in my opinion, the message it´s pretty clear: "We don´t want to work with a BoE that is going to convert each decision into a fight", and the cause it´s the vast differences inside the board.

I do not want a board that votes unanimously 100% of the times, disagreement is good, but at this moment the board has converted the district decision making process in a war of trenches.

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2147
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Omababe » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:33 am

jessep28 wrote:The fact that both finalists simultaneously dropped out and released a joint statement seems to suggest they no longer wanted to deal with the board and/or administration.


The impression I got from the Talking Heads yesterday is that both of them were more or less snubbed by the board and the headhunting firm told them they should withdraw. Is this incorrect?

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Uffda » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:06 am

Omababe wrote:
jessep28 wrote:The fact that both finalists simultaneously dropped out and released a joint statement seems to suggest they no longer wanted to deal with the board and/or administration.


The impression I got from the Talking Heads yesterday is that both of them were more or less snubbed by the board and the headhunting firm told them they should withdraw. Is this incorrect?


Based on one board member quote I saw in the paper that might be true at least the first part might be true.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5906
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:25 pm

jessep28 wrote:The fact that both finalists simultaneously dropped out and released a joint statement seems to suggest they no longer wanted to deal with the board and/or administration.


Agreed. It's an embarrassment..

In this case, I'm in complete agreement with the W-H editorial regarding this matter from the Sunday paper...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Uffda » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
jessep28 wrote:The fact that both finalists simultaneously dropped out and released a joint statement seems to suggest they no longer wanted to deal with the board and/or administration.


Agreed. It's an embarrassment..

In this case, I'm in complete agreement with the W-H editorial regarding this matter from the Sunday paper...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


I agree they should pause but as to Mr. Evans if I remember correctly he was in 'cut' his contract short for family reasons - so he might not want to stay.

Also as to all his 'accomplishments' I dislike seeing someone getting credit for some things that they had little to do with.... but that's just me.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5906
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Uffda wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
jessep28 wrote:The fact that both finalists simultaneously dropped out and released a joint statement seems to suggest they no longer wanted to deal with the board and/or administration.


Agreed. It's an embarrassment..

In this case, I'm in complete agreement with the W-H editorial regarding this matter from the Sunday paper...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


I agree they should pause but as to Mr. Evans if I remember correctly he was in 'cut' his contract short for family reasons - so he might not want to stay.

Also as to all his 'accomplishments' I dislike seeing someone getting credit for some things that they had little to do with.... but that's just me.


My sister has worked for OPS for 16 years. She told me Sunday the opinion many have within the district for Mr. Evans is pretty milk-toast..

The W-H editorial piece sure seemed to pro-slant his many 'accomplishments' over the past 3 years that's for sure...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Uffda » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:12 am

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
My sister has worked for OPS for 16 years. She told me Sunday the opinion many have within the district for Mr. Evans is pretty milk-toast..

The W-H editorial piece sure seemed to pro-slant his many 'accomplishments' over the past 3 years that's for sure...

Ciao..LiO...Peace


:cheers:

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 5835
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby nebugeater » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:28 am

Omababe wrote:My guess is the market is more competitive and they found greener pastures to pursue. Perhaps some of their current districts offered to pay them to stay maybe?


I don't think either are the case in this situation.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 5835
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby nebugeater » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:21 am

Pretty pointed comments by the candidate from Pennsylvania

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/ove ... 6dbec.html


"The uncertainty, that's what it was," Mumin later said to the Eagle. "Here in Reading, there's no uncertainty. We work together. It's not an atmosphere of aggression or political grandstanding, and that's important to me."



"The uncertainty, that's what it was," Mumin later said to the Eagle. "Here in Reading, there's no uncertainty. We work together. It's not an atmosphere of aggression or political grandstanding, and that's important to me."



In his email, Mumin said he didn't believe OPS leaders "have the best interest of kids in their actions."
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby bigredmed » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:50 am

Apparently the board is "putting everything on the table"

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/eve ... 833b7.html

Except, of course, real change and a meaningful effort to resolve their bickering and get behind a standard and expectation of excellence.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby MadMartin8 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:42 pm

bigredmed wrote:Apparently the board is "putting everything on the table"

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/eve ... 833b7.html

Except, of course, real change and a meaningful effort to resolve their bickering and get behind a standard and expectation of excellence.


The people I feel bad for the most is the Teachers and kiddos. This is the leadership they have?
No posts exist for this topic

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby bigredmed » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:46 am

MadMartin8 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Apparently the board is "putting everything on the table"

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/eve ... 833b7.html

Except, of course, real change and a meaningful effort to resolve their bickering and get behind a standard and expectation of excellence.


The people I feel bad for the most is the Teachers and kiddos. This is the leadership they have?


Yep. We really need a "Red Wedding" of sorts. We need to replace the whole school board and the admin staff that can't change to a paradigm of "students first" and "We are here to create functional adult citizens, not here to appease teachers unions and community activists". You don't want to create a uniform discipline code because you are afraid of Ernie Chambers? You need to go somewhere else. You don't want to teach kids about birth control and sexuality as part of being a mature and responsible adult? Cool, go somewhere else. You are afraid to look some crazy A hole from the community who is bleeping wrong on a subject and politely, but clearly tell them so, you lack the spine to protect the kids and help them become functional adults.

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Uffda » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Mark Evans' new OPS contract would increase his salary, vacation time


http://www.omaha.com/news/education/mar ... d8b7e.html

Omaha Public Schools Superintendent Mark Evans is slated to receive a 2.5 percent pay raise and two extra weeks of vacation in exchange for agreeing to lead the district for an additional year.


This is a joke ---Why not just tell him to finish with the contract terms he was walking away from.

Dundeemaha
Library Board
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 am
Location: Country Club

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Dundeemaha » Tue May 02, 2017 6:57 am

Uffda wrote:Mark Evans' new OPS contract would increase his salary, vacation time


http://www.omaha.com/news/education/mar ... d8b7e.html

Omaha Public Schools Superintendent Mark Evans is slated to receive a 2.5 percent pay raise and two extra weeks of vacation in exchange for agreeing to lead the district for an additional year.


This is a joke ---Why not just tell him to finish with the contract terms he was walking away from.


Because the board has zero leverage... He was happy to leave they had to incentivize him to stay.

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 5835
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby nebugeater » Tue May 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Uffda wrote:Mark Evans' new OPS contract would increase his salary, vacation time


http://www.omaha.com/news/education/mar ... d8b7e.html

Omaha Public Schools Superintendent Mark Evans is slated to receive a 2.5 percent pay raise and two extra weeks of vacation in exchange for agreeing to lead the district for an additional year.


This is a joke ---Why not just tell him to finish with the contract terms he was walking away from.



They could have and he could have left. He did what was proper in turnover in notice and moving forward with his retirement with plenty of advanced notice.

He didn't screw up the process. The board did. They needed him much more than he needed the position that he had already announced he was leaving. Why should he stay on for no added compensation
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Uffda » Tue May 02, 2017 8:11 pm

nebugeater wrote:
Uffda wrote:Mark Evans' new OPS contract would increase his salary, vacation time


http://www.omaha.com/news/education/mar ... d8b7e.html

Omaha Public Schools Superintendent Mark Evans is slated to receive a 2.5 percent pay raise and two extra weeks of vacation in exchange for agreeing to lead the district for an additional year.


This is a joke ---Why not just tell him to finish with the contract terms he was walking away from.



They could have and he could have left. He did what was proper in turnover in notice and moving forward with his retirement with plenty of advanced notice.

He didn't screw up the process. The board did. They needed him much more than he needed the position that he had already announced he was leaving. Why should he stay on for no added compensation


Nope OPS didn't need him. Also I thought he resigned early to take care of elderly parents....

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 5835
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby nebugeater » Wed May 03, 2017 5:56 am

Uffda wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Uffda wrote:Mark Evans' new OPS contract would increase his salary, vacation time


http://www.omaha.com/news/education/mar ... d8b7e.html

Omaha Public Schools Superintendent Mark Evans is slated to receive a 2.5 percent pay raise and two extra weeks of vacation in exchange for agreeing to lead the district for an additional year.


This is a joke ---Why not just tell him to finish with the contract terms he was walking away from.



They could have and he could have left. He did what was proper in turnover in notice and moving forward with his retirement with plenty of advanced notice.

He didn't screw up the process. The board did. They needed him much more than he needed the position that he had already announced he was leaving. Why should he stay on for no added compensation


Nope OPS didn't need him. Also I thought he resigned early to take care of elderly parents....


If OPS didn't need him then why did they come crawling to him to get him to stay around another year
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Uffda » Wed May 03, 2017 6:10 am

nebugeater wrote:
Uffda wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Uffda wrote:Mark Evans' new OPS contract would increase his salary, vacation time


http://www.omaha.com/news/education/mar ... d8b7e.html

Omaha Public Schools Superintendent Mark Evans is slated to receive a 2.5 percent pay raise and two extra weeks of vacation in exchange for agreeing to lead the district for an additional year.


This is a joke ---Why not just tell him to finish with the contract terms he was walking away from.



They could have and he could have left. He did what was proper in turnover in notice and moving forward with his retirement with plenty of advanced notice.

He didn't screw up the process. The board did. They needed him much more than he needed the position that he had already announced he was leaving. Why should he stay on for no added compensation


Nope OPS didn't need him. Also I thought he resigned early to take care of elderly parents....


If OPS didn't need him then why did they come crawling to him to get him to stay around another year


Crawling? They supposedly had 12 people apply to be the one year interim and according to them, they didn't even look at the resumes of those. There was a force in play and it wasn't students, parents or teachers.

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 5835
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby nebugeater » Wed May 03, 2017 8:36 am

Uffda wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Uffda wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Uffda wrote:Mark Evans' new OPS contract would increase his salary, vacation time


http://www.omaha.com/news/education/mar ... d8b7e.html

Omaha Public Schools Superintendent Mark Evans is slated to receive a 2.5 percent pay raise and two extra weeks of vacation in exchange for agreeing to lead the district for an additional year.


This is a joke ---Why not just tell him to finish with the contract terms he was walking away from.



They could have and he could have left. He did what was proper in turnover in notice and moving forward with his retirement with plenty of advanced notice.

He didn't screw up the process. The board did. They needed him much more than he needed the position that he had already announced he was leaving. Why should he stay on for no added compensation


Nope OPS didn't need him. Also I thought he resigned early to take care of elderly parents....


If OPS didn't need him then why did they come crawling to him to get him to stay around another year


Crawling? They supposedly had 12 people apply to be the one year interim and according to them, they didn't even look at the resumes of those. There was a force in play and it wasn't students, parents or teachers.



Yes crawling, When they didn't do their job to fill the position with candidates in the pool.... for whatever reason they couldn't... They were left holding a sticking bag of stuff and went calling back to him to get another year. I imaging that they couldn't agree on an short term candidate just like they couldn't agree on a full time replacement and this crawl was their way our.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Uffda » Wed May 03, 2017 2:43 pm

It came out at the board meeting that they didn't look at the temp candidates -- like i said there was a force outside the board controlling who they selected.

"The subcommittee was supposed to review interim superintendent candidates and did receive applications from “very, very high-quality candidates,” he said.
“I applaud those who applied because it says something about their character to apply in this situation,” Perlman said."


from another article

Two board members and several community members spoke against the decision, saying they fear the board continues to make decisions out of the public's eye. The opposing board members also said they were disappointed that full consideration wasn't given to those who applied as an interim superintendent.

"This ... again puts us in a position where the public distrusts us and everything we say," board member Shavonna Holman said. "It's incredibly unfair to completely overlook the applicants who took their time to apply for this position."

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby Uffda » Sun May 07, 2017 7:35 am

Oh boy

Amid superintendent search, OPS board members sniped at each other into the night, texts show

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/ami ... a1f9a.html

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Sun May 07, 2017 8:06 am

Uffda wrote:Oh boy

Amid superintendent search, OPS board members sniped at each other into the night, texts show

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/ami ... a1f9a.html



These people live in a world of dysfunctional geeks and ding bats. In the business world that I live in........about the 3rd time some fool sends me a business related text I know that I am dealing with a fool. Why in the name of sensibility and reason would anyone waste time sending texts when they could just as easy call me and say a lot more? Texting is a primitive way of communication at best. What it comes down to is do you want to conduct business or fool around sending one liner stupid texts and e-mails? A bunch of grown adults sitting around sending texts back and forth at night don't impress me much. :what:

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2726
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: OPS Superintendent opening down to 0 again

Postby RNcyanide » Sun May 07, 2017 9:55 am

Uffda wrote:Oh boy

Amid superintendent search, OPS board members sniped at each other into the night, texts show

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/ami ... a1f9a.html


Oh my god this just gets better and better!!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride


Return to “Omaha Metro Area Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest