2017 Annexation

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

2017 Annexation

Postby OmahaFan » Fri May 12, 2017 10:47 am

Does anyone know if Mayor Sothert has planned out her Annexation package for this year or the next? I'm assuming it will be the remaining pockets that exist in Omaha after that though where else would she be able to Annex before the 2020 Census?

Dundeemaha
Library Board

Re: Future Annexation

Postby Dundeemaha » Fri May 12, 2017 12:03 pm

In the OWH article about Stothert's priorities after getting re-elected it listed preparing the next annexation package as one of the top ones.

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Fri May 12, 2017 12:13 pm

I think it is usually announced sometime in the summer and is between 10 and 15 thousand each time. Just depends which neighborhoods have their debt paid off.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Fri May 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Does anyone know which SID's have there debt currently within range that would make the city comfortable annexing them? Now this is a more out there idea but worth thinking about. Is it possible that one of the package's would be the annexing of Waterloo Nebraska near Elkhorn since Omaha is right near it? I'd imagine that cities Debt is pretty low then again it's in the flood plain range and I don't know if Omaha is willing to take that on just yet.

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Sat May 13, 2017 7:53 am

I don't see Omaha going any farther west for years. The ONLY reason they annexed Elkhorn, was to preempt Elkhorn's own attempts at seeking self preservation through it's own annexation, which would block the Omaha's future growth.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sat May 13, 2017 12:17 pm

I would see Omaha annexing Bennington before Waterloo.

guy4omaha
Human Relations

Postby guy4omaha » Sat May 13, 2017 11:44 pm

I don't think Omaha is going to annex Waterloo anytime soon either. However, Waterloo is closer to an Omaha Boundary than is Bennington. And Waterloo with the massive seed plant might prove to be an attractive add to the tax base. I could be easily wrong, but I don't think Bennington has any comparable industrial asset.

Bottom line though is Omaha isn't going after either entity in the near or mid term.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sun May 14, 2017 1:45 pm

I'd be far more excited to see Omaha grow without annexation..

But I have a full understanding why it's a necessity and am glad for the liberal annexation law Omaha enjoys..compared to land locked cities like St Louis. Where the core city is choked off by it's much larger suburbs...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Wed May 17, 2017 6:57 am

Sorry for not responding sooner! I agree with most of what people are saying on here about Omaha's future annexation plans. It's truly amazing how the city of Omaha has grown since 1989 when I was born. I've lived in West Omaha and I've personally seen the growth out west. It truly is a sight to behold and be part of the expansion. I hope Omaha is able to Annex more this year and spread the tax base further also I hope for more big project's along Dodge St out in West Omaha. There is plenty of Prime land still ready for some development! Also in response to the last comment Omaha has benefited greatly from the Liberal annexation law's currently in Nebraska. We are able to spread our tax base further and spread out the cost so not one part of the community is hit the hardest each part is contributing to the repair and expansion of the city. Plus with the new police precinct going up Omaha police will be able to over West Omaha more protection and provide a greater ability to patrol the newly Annexed area's.

ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Postby ZaEry » Wed May 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Despite the area around Waterloo being flood plane, I do think one day Omaha will grow into that area and annex Waterloo but like you guys said, I don't think that will be anytime soon.

With Bennington growing hopefully that will bring some growth out north. I read an article that one day State Street will be a new commercial area, although I don't know if we can expect that anytime soon.

Trips
Home Owners Association

Postby Trips » Mon May 22, 2017 2:33 pm

It is really sad to see some of the areas that were annexed last year. In the past their parks and trails were always mowed are really well kept. They now had knee high weeds/grass and trash cans that were jammed full. As I kept going the three SID's across the street had clean and nicely mowed so you can't blame the weather.

I think Omaha needs to get their police, trash and parks in order before they add more responsibilities to those departments.

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Mon May 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Serious question, have you submitted a new ticket to their ticketing system? They've always completed my requests (filling potholes and lane painting).

When my neighborhood was annexed a few years ago, services improved.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Wed May 31, 2017 10:39 am

I do have to admit those issue's you can report to the city usually get handle in 2 to 5 day's depending what the task is. I reported a Pothole to the city got it fixed within 2 day's. Then they came out during the spring and replaced the entire intersection with fresh concrete. Report a house that wasn't being kept up to code with major lawn issues (House is abandon) next week the lawn was mowed.

jelizh
New to the Neighborhood

Postby jelizh » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Just heard that it is narrowed down to three SIDs for this year, announcement should come soon.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Postby OmahaFan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:41 am

jelizh wrote:Just heard that it is narrowed down to three SIDs for this year, announcement should come soon.

Just three SID's? I wonder what the population is like with the 3 SID's. Usually Jean Stothert is pretty grand with her annexation package's and tries to get around 10,000 people in them per annexation package. If it's just 3 it seem's a bit low. Probably because of the new Council members and seeing how they vote first before ramming through any more major Annexation package's.

Coyote
City Council

Re: 2017 Annexation

Postby Coyote » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:48 pm

2017 Annexation Package:
Lake Cunningham Hills (SID 326)
Pacific Springs Village (SID 402) and adjacent area
West Dodge Place (SID 462) and adjacent areas.

2010 Census Population: 863
Acres: 299.2
Valuation: $119,546,850
Debt Ratio: 3.63%

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 641 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (113.17 KiB) Viewed 641 times

Greg S
County Board

Postby Greg S » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:38 am

OmahaFan wrote:
jelizh wrote:Just heard that it is narrowed down to three SIDs for this year, announcement should come soon.

Just three SID's? I wonder what the population is like with the 3 SID's. Usually Jean Stothert is pretty grand with her annexation package's and tries to get around 10,000 people in them per annexation package. If it's just 3 it seem's a bit low. Probably because of the new Council members and seeing how they vote first before ramming through any more major Annexation package's.

Also as you pointed out, she has done some large ones, still probably digesting that. I keep hoping we get annexed but not this time unfortunately.

Greg

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:42 pm

These three SIDs are before the Council this Wednesday.

dwoodchip
New to the Neighborhood

Postby dwoodchip » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:22 pm

Anyone know of any research that shows the long term economic effects of annexation? I always feel like it's a thing thats great in the short term but then costly in the long term.

The recent annexations have been small and seemed fine. I worry about the bigger ones.

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association

Postby bigredmed1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:55 am

dwoodchip wrote:Anyone know of any research that shows the long term economic effects of annexation? I always feel like it's a thing thats great in the short term but then costly in the long term.

The recent annexations have been small and seemed fine. I worry about the bigger ones.

Long term, we don't turn into St Louis. The center City of that metro area is decaying and green flight sucks people out to the burbs that now have their own infrastructure to support and see no reason to kick in for St Louis. Imagine if Millard was able to stay it's own city. How would Omaha's finances be? There would be no downtown redevelopment as the Omaha wouldn't have the tax base to do TIF.

Imagine if Omaha never annexed. So Omaha, Benson, Florence, Millard, Elkhorn would all be independent cities competing against each other.

dwoodchip
New to the Neighborhood

Postby dwoodchip » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:12 am

I agree that some annexations are necessary to help the city prosper. But how much annexation is too much. If Omaha sprawls too far west then the long term costs will out weigh the short term gains. It'll also be harder to get a cohesive public transit system.

It's a great way to bring in revenue for the city. At Omaha's current size, I'd rather see that increased revenue come from new businesses and other means of drawing people to the city.

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association

Postby bigredmed1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:42 pm

dwoodchip wrote:I agree that some annexations are necessary to help the city prosper. But how much annexation is too much. If Omaha sprawls too far west then the long term costs will out weigh the short term gains. It'll also be harder to get a cohesive public transit system.

It's a great way to bring in revenue for the city. At Omaha's current size, I'd rather see that increased revenue come from new businesses and other means of drawing people to the city.

The transit issue is only a limit because the hipsters can't wrap their heads around people choosing to live in the burbs and not want to hangout in the cool kids' neighborhood. Transit that is locally organic and linked to a city wide system would affordably connect the city.

Dundeemaha
Library Board

Postby Dundeemaha » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:16 pm

bigredmed1 wrote:
dwoodchip wrote:I agree that some annexations are necessary to help the city prosper. But how much annexation is too much. If Omaha sprawls too far west then the long term costs will out weigh the short term gains. It'll also be harder to get a cohesive public transit system.

The transit issue is only a limit because the hipsters can't wrap their heads around people choosing to live in the burbs and not want to hangout in the cool kids' neighborhood. Transit that is locally organic and linked to a city wide system would affordably connect the city.

Or transit is only an issue because entitled suburbanites expect "hipsters" (apparently anyone who doesn't live in the burbs?) to subsidize their car travel but throw a fit if asked to pay for transit in the urban environments that support it.
:hammer:

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association

Postby bigredmed1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Dundeemaha wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

Or transit is only an issue because entitled suburbanites expect "hipsters" (apparently anyone who doesn't live in the burbs?) to subsidize their car travel but throw a fit if asked to pay for transit in the urban environments that support it.

The idea I have promoted for several years is that of mass transit though interlocking loops. There are a lot of people who need to go shopping or to the bank. They don't need to do that 50 blocks away. They could easily be persuaded to use a shuttle type bus to go to a shopping area, then bus back home. If the bus got within 4 blocks of their house, I think it would be acceptable. If the bus then interlinked with dedicated buses that would simply go from link to link at designated points (along Dodge street for example, and the links could go north or south from some designated single link point, you could get decent transit times and by having relatively few of these, you could have several busses on the route at crush times.

This leads to organic transit. A service that is actually useful at the organic level. A person could go to the bank and dry cleaners, then go home without waiting forever or having to only go on certain days of the week when buses actually run in your area. The current system dies West of 90th and the hurl and burl of the "downtown, midtown, blackstone, south Omaha, Eppley, CWS" gets boring and leads to plans that work great for a few people living in a small strip of Omaha, but no one else. You get upset that we don't want to fund it. We get upset that we keep getting called names for being "too stupid" or "too behind the times" or what ever new word grenade you want to throw. Together, we never solve this problem.

As for the resistance to pay for stuff, why should ANY part of the city, and I mean ANY part be expected to pay for any other? If it is not a service that is generally helpful to all of us, pay for it yourselves. Roads, schools, parks all can be seen as local, but are really just part of a system that benefits all of us. Buses used to be part of that, but due to management decisions over the past 30 years, western and central Omaha first got terrible service, then when people wouldn't use the craptastic service, got it taken away. Transit times got ridiculous. When my brother was in college in the late 80s, he needed to take a bus from eastern Millard to Benson where he worked as his car broke down. Not missing any bus, it took him 2.5 hours to go from 120th and Q to 60th and Military. At that pace, he could have walked there. Can we all see why the ridership fell? In the mid 90s I moved in to the area near the Trifaith campus. We had a bus that went right past our neighborhood. Sadly, it only ran two times a day and not on the weekend. To use that to go to my bank, would have required me to ride it to 114th, get off, then walk a mile, then walk a mile back to Pacific and ride the bus the remaining mile, then walk several blocks to my house. Considering the times available, I would have had to take a day off work to do this rather than just go there in my car on Saturday.

Not trying to start a flame war, just wanting to get people to see the city as a whole, rather than as hipsterville and a bunch of other things.

GrandpaaSmucker
New to the Neighborhood

Postby GrandpaaSmucker » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:01 am

Dundeemaha wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

:hammer:

According to the newspaper roughly 75% of the kids going to Omaha Public Schools tomorrow will be on the Free Lunch program. And you want to call the suburbanites the entitled ones? :roll: :roll:

Uffda
Planning Board

Postby Uffda » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:59 am

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:According to the newspaper roughly 75% of the kids going to Omaha Public Schools tomorrow will be on the Free Lunch program. And you want to call the suburbanites the entitled ones? :roll: :roll:

Entitled? :shock: Wanting to make sure children get a good meal at least once or twice a day. Sure Old Man -- whatever
:roll: :roll:

GrandpaaSmucker
New to the Neighborhood

Postby GrandpaaSmucker » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:03 am

Uffda wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:According to the newspaper roughly 75% of the kids going to Omaha Public Schools tomorrow will be on the Free Lunch program. And you want to call the suburbanites the entitled ones? :roll: :roll:

Entitled? :shock: Wanting to make sure children get a good meal at least once or twice a day. Sure Old Man -- whatever

Can we keep it real and at least admit that while the tax payers are paying for the kids free school lunch the kids Mommies and Daddies are eating lunch at KFC and Taco Bell. Hiding behind kids to make a point is a tactic befitting the Fake News.

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association

Postby bigredmed1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:28 pm

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Can we keep it real and at least admit that while the tax payers are paying for the kids free school lunch the kids Mommies and Daddies are eating lunch at KFC and Taco Bell. Hiding behind kids to make a point is a tactic befitting the Fake News.

Both of you earn partial credit. Welfare traps recipients and there are legitimately poor kids in the city and children of people who just don't seem to be able to Adult worth a darn. There are also dirtbags that would scam welfare blind if they could, though perfectly capable of working.

Our problem is that we see this, but are unwilling to get our hands dirty fixing it, so we buy lunch for these kids instead of dealing with the ground truth.

Dundeemaha
Library Board

Postby Dundeemaha » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:48 pm

bigredmed1 wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Both of you earn partial credit. Welfare traps recipients and there are legitimately poor kids in the city and children of people who just don't seem to be able to Adult worth a darn. There are also dirtbags that would scam welfare blind if they could, though perfectly capable of working.

Our problem is that we see this, but are unwilling to get our hands dirty fixing it, so we buy lunch for these kids instead of dealing with the ground truth.

Even in the scenario that a kid's parents are scum and not feeding their kids to fulfill their own desires or out of negligence, the kid still needs to eat. It's not their fault that their parents are lowlifes. You could make an argument for taking away custody but then you're shifting a larger burden on to a government program that lacks the funding to support it.

All of this is completely beside the point and another in a long string of red herrings by GrandpaSmucker to delve in to unrelated topics. The federal free/reduced lunch program has nothing to do with annexation nor transit vs road funding.

GrandpaaSmucker
New to the Neighborhood

Postby GrandpaaSmucker » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Dundeemaha wrote:All of this is completely beside the point and another in a long string of red herrings by GrandpaSmucker to delve in to unrelated topics. The federal free/reduced lunch program has nothing to do with annexation nor transit vs road funding.

What are you talking about? I don't like red herring or any kind of fish at all. I'm glad Joes Crab Shack is closed! 8)

Return to “Omaha Metro Area Government”