Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The City has hired its first bike/ped coordinator.  This person will make transportation other than the automobile a priority and hopefully elevate other mobility options for Omaha.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I wan that job. Maybe in a few years.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

cdub wrote:The City has also hired its first bike/ped coordinator.  This person will make transportation other than the automobile a priority and hopefully elevate other mobility options for Omaha.
Are you sure this is in Omaha?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Im sure.  :)

Keep in mind, its one guy only!  We'll hope for the best.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omaha is not a biking community but some people aim to change that. Already in some areas of town you can find dedicated bike lanes on city streets and the plan to extend and connect bike trails is underway.

Now a new bike coordinator wants to keep the momentum going.

In tough economic times any position added to the roster at city hall will be questioned and that is why officials stressed that the new position as bicycle/pedestrian coordinator will not add to the city's deficit. Community partners Alegent Health, LiveWell Omaha and the M.A.P.A. are investing in the position to promote a healthy lifestyle.
I am glad to know that instead of our bankrupt city paying for this unneeded position, our even more bankrupt Federal government is paying for it.  

The best was the press conference.  When asked what his goals are, he said for 2 year olds to be able to ride their bikes in the streets.  When asked what his qualifications were, he said he ran a bike PARKING program (someone else ran the bike riding program), he wrote a blog and he "attended meetings."  AND, Suttle felt this skill set was worth $15,000 MORE than the $50,000 the posted for the job.  Jesus, even I am at a loss for words.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

suttle was santa claus in his former life.  He's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year 'round.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Re: Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator

Post by Brad »

joeglow wrote:The best was the press conference.  When asked what his goals are, he said for 2 year olds to be able to ride their bikes in the streets.  When asked what his qualifications were, he said he ran a bike PARKING program (someone else ran the bike riding program), he wrote a blog and he "attended meetings."  AND, Suttle felt this skill set was worth $15,000 MORE than the $50,000 the posted for the job.  Jesus, even I am at a loss for words.
I have absolutely nothing against bike riding, bike commuting, bikes, or anything to do with bikes....

However this is ridiculous on so many levels.  
1.  Even if this is a good idea, NOW IS NOT THE TIME!
2.  65,000 a year?!?!  I would do it for the posted $50,000 and do a darn good job! (see #3)
3.  He isn't local!!!  How can you just show up in a city and know how it should work.  You don't know the traffic patterns, you don't know the neighborhoods, you don't know |expletive| about Omaha.
4.  Omaha has THOUSANDS of bike riders...  You couldn't take a traffic engineer you already have on staff and have them work with the community and plan these routes?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The position was posted at exactly what Mr. Morales is getting paid, not a penny more or less.  

Unfortunately, I think he was caught off guard by the tenor of the questions.  He looked like he was suddenly in a job interview and wasn't ready.   I have seen his qualifications and they are great.  He has run a program like the one we are trying to implement here whereas no one locally has.  More importantly, nobody locally even made the cut off for the top several to be interviewed.  Either because there weren't many local applicants, or they weren't qualified.  

Lastly, anyone who wants us to not take federal dollars because they are 'tax dollars' is an idiot.  Would you like us to turn back all of our road money too?  The feds will still take it from us, we would just not get anything in return.  Great.  If you want the system changed, go for it, but while the system works like it does the City would be foolish to not do its best to bring those dollars back to Omaha.  

Oh, last lastly - We have dozens of people dedicated to cars and moving them throughout the City, it doesn't seem reasonable to have one person dedicated to all the other options?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

MAT (or 'Metro') could have taken on this responsibility. ;)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

joeglow wrote:Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator
Omaha is not a biking community but some people aim to change that. Already in some areas of town you can find dedicated bike lanes on city streets and the plan to extend and connect bike trails is underway.

In tough economic times any position added to the roster at city hall will be questioned and that is why officials stressed that the new position as bicycle/pedestrian coordinator will not add to the city's deficit. Community partners Alegent Health, LiveWell Omaha and the M.A.P.A. are investing in the position to promote a healthy lifestyle.
I am glad to know that instead of our bankrupt city paying for this unneeded position, our even more bankrupt Federal government is paying for it.
My understanding is that the federal grant for this is for about $10k-$15k.  80% of the funding is coming from the private sector.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

HskrFanMike wrote:
joeglow wrote:Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator

My understanding is that the federal grant for this is for about $10k-$15k.  80% of the funding is coming from the private sector.
Most funds came from the Federal government (i.e. it is Federal money being given to groups that then passed the money on to the City).  The only questionable piece is what Alegent contributed (calls to determine if this is money they got from the Federal government or their own funds were not returned, based on what they reported on KFAB yesterday).
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

I have to admit I was pretty shocked when I found out about this new appointment.  The one thing I can say about Suttle is he is not afraid to put himself out there. What, with like a week after another round of recall announcements and he goes out and announces a bike transportation coordinator. I'm more than fine with it considering the sources of his salary and on the contrary, I don't think this is something that should have been delegated to "Metro".  I think there interest in this would end in about as far as what it would mean to getting more people on their buses, not for what is best for the city.  Omaha needs more than a few signs and the painting of "sharrows" on the streets.  If this guy can get me a safe and straight east-west shot, from downtown to at least 72nd St., right through the middle of the city without having to go fifteen miles just to go five, then I'm all for him.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Becka and others want to act as though the Mayor decided on this last week and hired him Tuesday.  This has been in the works since Alegent and Live well proposed it over a year and a half ago.  Now, if it was all City money I suppose he could have cut it off this year with the budget trouble but since thats not the case, the complaining is pretty odd.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I was actually being sarcastic. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Here one of the bike parking projects that was completed.   :;):

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

cdub wrote:Becka and others want to act as though the Mayor decided on this last week and hired him Tuesday.  This has been in the works since Alegent and Live well proposed it over a year and a half ago.  Now, if it was all City money I suppose he could have cut it off this year with the budget trouble but since thats not the case, the complaining is pretty odd.
Why is it odd?  Many of us do NOT accept the philosophy of "well everyone else is doing it, so we had better make sure we 'get ours.'"  The simple fact is that we are VERY far down the path of financial ruin in this country due to our spending.  The Federal government has ZERO right or responsibility to be paying for a frigging bike coordinator in Omaha or anywhere else in the country.  But the childish mentality of "well he did it too" reigns supreme and no one will take a stand.  To be honest, I think what Becka did makes complete sense and I wish the rest of society showed just a fraction of fiscal responsibility.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

To equate this to hitting your brother back because he hit you shows how simplistic you are, or how far off the ground your high horse is.  Fine, lets show those feds that we think the system is awful by refusing a couple years worth of road money.  That will prove just how righteous we are.  If you think having one guy to focus on this stuff while dozens dedicate themselves to single occupancy car trips is wrong, then we don't really have a basis for a continued discussion anyway.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I wish we would have received money for a mas transit coordinator rather than a bike coordinator....  We need to get our Subway System built first!  I don't care how much I like my Bike, I am not  bike commuting from October-March, July, and August...
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

joeglow wrote:
cdub wrote:Becka and others want to act as though the Mayor decided on this last week and hired him Tuesday.  This has been in the works since Alegent and Live well proposed it over a year and a half ago.  Now, if it was all City money I suppose he could have cut it off this year with the budget trouble but since thats not the case, the complaining is pretty odd.
Why is it odd?  Many of us do NOT accept the philosophy of "well everyone else is doing it, so we had better make sure we 'get ours.'"  The simple fact is that we are VERY far down the path of financial ruin in this country due to our spending.  The Federal government has ZERO right or responsibility to be paying for a frigging bike coordinator in Omaha or anywhere else in the country.  But the childish mentality of "well he did it too" reigns supreme and no one will take a stand.  To be honest, I think what Becka did makes complete sense and I wish the rest of society showed just a fraction of fiscal responsibility.
Just for the record Joe, I get what you're saying. I would also suggest it will only take just a few states or municipalities to stand up on principal and refuse funds and all the strings attached and the rest will join in the effort to stop the insanity. Everyone knows its a house of cards getting ever more precarious. No one wants to be the first and only one to say no. But the governments do want it to stop. One way or the other, we're not far from the day, the fiscal insanity will end. It simply is not sustainable.

And there is plenty of room and reason to continue the discussion.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

How do Omaha leaders want to improve pedestrian and cyclist safety?

Sidewalks, bike paths and public transit are all poised to receive nationwide funding with the "Safe Streets & Roads For All" program.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

$5 billion nationwide, doesn't seem like nearly enough. But it is nice that the funds are coming at least.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Improving bike and pedestrian safety in the City of Omaha

Pedestrian fatalities are rising, according to the numbers from the Nebraska Department of Transportation. Since 2016, 20 people died annually and 400 were injured. 3 News Now talked to people in downtown Omaha to learn more about what's behind the issue and what are the biggest problems people have when it comes to driving safely.
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Post by mistergutierrez »

There is research about SUVs being more lethal to pedestrians than typical cars in case of accident. Besides the distractions from smartphones do not help.