2011 Pothole Problem

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Potholes

Post by Uffda »

And have you noticed, the streets are NOT filled with potholes (yet)
They're baaacckkkk!  I avoided a couple of big holes today and saw lots of old patchwork starting to crumble.[/quote]
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omaha has had more snowfall this month than Minneapolis.  The roads will show the ill effects soon, I suspect.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

I bet it will be pretty bad by the end of the week.  it looks like its suppose to freeze and thaw every day this week
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

I think we're going to be fine.  Last year the potholes arrived with a vengeance, and did so a full month earlier than this year.  In addition, last year the City Crews didn't get dispatched for at least a month after the potholes attacked.  This year, they're already working on things.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Poth ... 14634.html
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

DeWalt wrote:I think we're going to be fine.  Last year the potholes arrived with a vengeance, and did so a full month earlier than this year.  In addition, last year the City Crews didn't get dispatched for at least a month after the potholes attacked.  This year, they're already working on things.

At least the city administrators are taking a more proactive approach, rather than reactive.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

bbinks wrote:
DeWalt wrote:I think we're going to be fine.  Last year the potholes arrived with a vengeance, and did so a full month earlier than this year.  In addition, last year the City Crews didn't get dispatched for at least a month after the potholes attacked.  This year, they're already working on things.

At least the city administrators are taking a more proactive approach, rather than reactive.
Exactly!  And I appreciate the fact that this year, as opposed to last year, they have sub-contractors on call for snow removal.  

It just seems strange to me that it's 2011 before the City starts approaching problems proactively.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

City streets are sooo much better this year than last year.  The winter hasn't been quite as snowy, but it is still a rough winter.  I think all of the hard work done by city crews to rehab/repair the streets last year is finally bearing fruit.  We will always have potholes after every winter given our climate, but our roads should never resemble war zones.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Don't speak too soon...  This next week's freeze thaw cycle could be rough!
bluecollartechworker
New to the Neighborhood

Pothole problem

Post by bluecollartechworker »

I've been driving over some of the same potholes for a couple of weeks now.  I hope I don't veer at the last second to miss a big one and sideswipe a car in another lane!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

bbinks wrote:
How does one take a proactive approach to fixing potholes? Isn't that kind of a break/fix type scenario?  :?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

S33 wrote:
bbinks wrote:
How does one take a proactive approach to fixing potholes? Isn't that kind of a break/fix type scenario?  :?
Sealing cracks and repaving/asphalting in the "off-season" is about all you can do i think.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

almighty_tuna wrote:Sealing cracks...
Is your father still perfecting ways of making sealing wax?

You better stop... look around... here it comes...
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

of all the descriptors, "sealing" was as less opportunistic as, say, plugging holes in streets...   :;):
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

I was getting angry about hitting the same pot hole near my home so I called the city and the hole was gone a couple days later!
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

At this point in our winter, the Revenge Of The Potholes has begun.  They're all over.  Again.

However, unlike last year, every day I'm driving somewhere I see more than one City Crew out filling potholes.  At least they're working at it!
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

DeWalt wrote:It just seems strange to me that it's 2011 before the City starts approaching problems proactively.
Perhaps the events of the recent recall effort have prompted them to do more.

Also I've seen a few potholes, but they aren't very big. Typically, the main streets I use are Dodge, Q, and 144th. No problems yet, though with this heat wave I'm interested in seeing what will happen on these roads.
bluecollartechworker
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bluecollartechworker »

Last year the pothole problem that I had the worst experience with was south on 84th from I80 to Q, I think.  The right lane, specifically, was very bad.  Although it's not my daily route, westward on Ames from the North Freeway to almost 50th or so is very bad in the right lane.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

bluecollartechworker wrote:Last year the pothole problem that I had the worst experience with was south on 84th from I80 to Q, I think.  The right lane, specifically, was very bad.  Although it's not my daily route, westward on Ames from the North Freeway to almost 50th or so is very bad in the right lane.
Yeah that's a rough one - though it's not just because of pot-holes.  Part of it is the way the storm sewers are set in there.

Also, it is EXTREMELY rough in the north-bound lanes of North 72nd Street, at the intersection of Maple Street.  Unbelievable, as a matter of fact.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

They have actually patched the monster pothole on sb 52nd St (300 block) twice this year.
lyonsroar
New to the Neighborhood

Post by lyonsroar »

lisanstan wrote:They have actually patched the monster pothole on sb 52nd St (300 block) twice this year.
Holy god I know which one you're talking about.  Right after you cross Farnam Street on 52nd?  That thing made me glad I have my big sidewall snow tires on right now!  I was relieved when they patched it, but two days later the patch came up and the next day they repaved it and had the lane closed.  Thank goodness.

You know what else is bad?  I've taken the habit of taking NW Radial home and all of the storm drain's from Decatur to Seward are sunken in tow the point it's almost as bad as a pot hole!  Really annoying.  I've been thinking about sending a complaint to the city about it, but what are they going to do?  I'll send one in now...