Dead Horse?

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DeWalt
Human Relations

Timeouts

Post by DeWalt »

Well...  Ummm...  There's not much point in having a discussion forum without discussion.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

DeWalt wrote:Well...  Ummm...  There's not much point in having a discussion forum without discussion.
Difference is that these same stupid debates have been seeping into threads throughout the forum that have absolutely nothing to do with each other.  As far as what Big E said, yes, I agree timeouts need to be enforced.  I remember when Jeff did it a couple times and it seemed to work.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Linkin5 wrote:
DeWalt wrote:Well...  Ummm...  There's not much point in having a discussion forum without discussion.
Difference is that these same stupid debates have been seeping into threads throughout the forum that have absolutely nothing to do with each other.  As far as what Big E said, yes, I agree timeouts need to be enforced.  I remember when Jeff did it a couple times and it seemed to work.
Good point, Linkin. But I wonder if the "timeouts" will include your personal insult laden diatribe you went off on a few months back. (you know, to avoid any hypocrisy in our fruitful discussions)
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S33 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Good point, Linkin. But I wonder if the "timeouts" will include your personal insult laden diatribe you went off on a few months back. (you know, to avoid any hypocrisy in our fruitful discussions)
Meh, sure I'll take a time out.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

It's clear that we just need to hug it out.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

What gets old in my book is the dragging of one argument from a topic into another thread.  Keep it on topic.  As far as I am concerned let it fly in the cafe.  as for the other areas, act like your grandma is in the room. ( OK for some maybe that won't even help.)
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Agreeing to disagree doesn't mean agreeing to cease discussion. Yeah, a lot of us will never agree on a lot of things, but does that mean we never bring up such matters ever again, even when they relate to a topic or come back around in organic discussion? No. That's not how a discussion board works. I don't care how many of you will never agree with me--there's a broader audience of the forum than just those who post, and that's an audience that can be reached, educated, and influenced.

Look, this isn't the Chamber of Commerce. We're not micromanaging Omaha's image here. We're all human beings. If you wanted, you could just create a computer algorithm that automatically inserts comments like "nice photos" and "this development sure is great" after any new article or photo.

And to those who complain about threads getting off topic, yes, I agree; Sometimes that is a problem. But is it any wonder that issues of economic development, transportation, land-use, etc. are actually all interrelated, and that it's a handicap to intellectual discourse to consciously stop yourself from bringing up one topic when talking about the other?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963