General Contractors license

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DeWalt
Human Relations

General Contractors license

Post by DeWalt »

So what's next?  Are we going to need a license to pee?

Under the proposed new ordinance, a landlord can't even install a new door in a rental property, without being a licensed contractor.

What is wrong with these idiot City Planners?  

http://www.kptm.com/story/14603629/land ... ected=true
KPTM wrote:OMAHA (KPTM) - The City of Omaha wants to raise the standards when it comes to general contracting.

"It will be the ordinance. As it is for electrical contractors and plumbing contractors," said Rick Cunningham, City of Omaha - Planning Department.

City officials wants to equal things out when it comes to general construction. The city's planning department has proposed initiating a licensing requirement for "General Contractors" to work in the city, including the city's 3-mile planning jurisdiction.

"It just establishes a level playing field," said Cunningham.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It sucks for Landlords that know what they are doing, but there are a bunch of idiots out there too that don't have a clue and do some really bad construction.

On the other hand, how many of the idiots that this law is trying to stop will just go out and do things illegally anyways.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

This is the best line from Cunningham:
The bottom line is we are not trying to create more regulations.
Not trying to create more regulations? They are getting about as petty as it gets out of obvious necessity in lieu of budgetary shortfalls.
I think in the end the consumer will end up with a better product," said Jay Davis, City of Omaha - Planning Dept.
Doesn't the market do a pretty honest, even job of determining a customers product? Shouldn't city planners stick to "city planning"?
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Doubt this one passes.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

If anything, require an inspection.  But to require "licensed professionals" to do the work is just plain stupid.  A lot of DIYers do far better work than the "professionals."  

The City is just looking for ways to create more tax revenue, but this will come back to bite everyone in the butt, and do so in a big way.

Stupid liberal pansies.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

About right for a crowd strongly against this to start name calling like 10 year -olds.  

You can debate the need if you want to, there certainly is a basis and a history in all cities for requiring minimum standards among the trades.  However, if you think this is about making money, you are mistaken I assure you.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

cdub wrote:About right for a crowd strongly against this to start name calling like 10 year -olds.  

You can debate the need if you want to, there certainly is a basis and a history in all cities for requiring minimum standards among the trades.  However, if you think this is about making money, you are mistaken I assure you.
Then what is it about? Is it really about ensuring a better product for consumers? If so, do you really think it's the place of the city planning department to enforce that businesses offer better products for their consumers? That's what it is, isn't it? Don't even tell me this is about safety, either. All structures already have a strict set of requirements and guidelines for tenant occupancy, this is just another way to "fee" someone...

You would be better off trying to convince someone of buying a turd in a crown royal bag.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I know there are problems all the time, I don't have a landlord but I have found sketchy plumbing and wiring in my own house.  Seen very sketchy wiring in some of my friends houses.  I also had a neighbor who hired a guy to do some work in his kitchen and I don't think a single thing was done to code...

If people don't care to do it right in the first place, why do you think that a new rule will make them do it right now?  I think its just going to be one more rule they don't follow.

Instead of making a Landlord get a contractors license, how about make rules like; if you don't follow buildings codes, don't get a permit, don't get things inspected, you loose your right to be a landlord...
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I can't argue strongly for the change.  It should be the case that these people know what they are doing, and they should be willing to prove it.  However, I know that they will likely still not comply.  It might help the housing enforcement people get quicker action I suppose.  The cost to implement the plan and keep track will likely barely be covered by the fee.  Add enforcement in there if they even give a strong effort at that and I know the 300 won't cover it.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Electrical, to me, is a completely different story. Any sort of modifications, additions, repairs or improvements with high-voltage structured wiring in a residence should always be inspected at the contractors/owners expense. I would lump any sort of load-bearing structural changes in, as well. However, I do not see a need to require an [owner] to first apply for a license considering they will face an inspection. That is certainly just an unnecessary, added fee.

That said, this proposal seems way over-the-top in general.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

cdub wrote:About right for a crowd strongly against this to start name calling like 10 year -olds.  

Sorry, but you simply don't know what you're talking about.

As a landlord & house renovator I am sick to death of having to remove and redo horrible work done by "professionals."  It's ridiculous.  Having a "professional" do something guarantees nothing other than a much higher price.

This proposed ordinance is about money, nothing more and nothing less.

The City wants permits pulled for every single little thing done on any house or apartment building.  It won't be long before they require a building permit before you replace your toilet seat.  Why do they do this?  Because they then can increase the assessed value of your house, based on repairs done, and increase your property tax.

The City wants an ordinance that requires "licensed professionals" to come in, charge an arm and a leg for any little project, then pay taxes on their earnings.  Again, it's about the money.

What this ridiculous ordinance is REALLY going to do is lower the quality of housing in Omaha.  Landlords & homeowners are simply not going to do improvements to their houses, because it's cost prohibitive?  Think about it.  
- Why in sam hill should I be required to pay a "professional" painter $2500 to paint the inside of a rental house when I can do a better job myself for about $250?  So what am I going to do?  I'm not going to paint!  And who loses?  Everyone.
- Why should I pay a "professional" $950 to replace a double-hung window that I can replace myself for $250 - and I'll do a better job, because I have something invested in the house.  So what am I going to do?  I'm going to leave the old window in.  And who loses?  Everyone.
- Why should I be required to pay a licensed plumber $110 per hour to auger out a floor drain, when I can rent an auger for $40 and do it myself?
- Why should I pay a "professional" $3000 to come remove old carpet, sand and refinish hardwood floors, when I can do it myself for $500?  So what am I going to do?  I'm going to leave the old carpet in the house.  And who loses?  Everyone.

We don't need stupid ordinances like this latest one they've proposed.  We simply need the building and planning dolts to do their job with INSPECTIONS.  If the job is done right, it doesn't matter who did it.  What matters is that it's done right!
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

S33 wrote:Electrical, to me, is a completely different story. Any sort of modifications, additions, repairs or improvements with high-voltage structured wiring in a residence should always be inspected at the contractors/owners expense. I would lump any sort of load-bearing structural changes in, as well. However, I do not see a need to require an [owner] to first apply for a license considering they will face an inspection. That is certainly just an unnecessary, added fee.

That said, this proposal seems way over-the-top in general.
Electrical work already has to pass inspection.  That has been the case for many years.  And that makes sense!  Have a licensed professional inspector come in and make sure the job is done right.

Again, it doesn't matter who does the work.  What matters is that it's done right.  And frankly, "professionals" are probably more apt to door shoddy work in a hurry, than are homeowners.  They have no interest in the project, other than to get paid.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

DeWalt wrote:Electrical work already has to pass inspection.  That has been the case for many years.  And that makes sense!  Have a licensed professional inspector come in and make sure the job is done right.

Again, it doesn't matter who does the work.  What matters is that it's done right.  And frankly, "professionals" are probably more apt to door shoddy work in a hurry, than are homeowners.  They have no interest in the project, other than to get paid.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

^^  Hahaha - nice!  It is interesting, isn't it, how much abysmal work Holmes uncovers?  And all of it done by "professionals" no less...
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

DeWalt wrote:^^  Hahaha - nice!  It is interesting, isn't it, how much abysmal work Holmes uncovers?  And all of it done by "professionals" no less...
How about the episode that was on Saturday morning? Lady had bought a house with a two story addition that was not even attached to the effing foundation.

Needless to say, Mike was livid.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I liked the one last night where they put in a new fire place in the basement, tapped it in to the fireplace upstairs and then ran water heater vent in to the whole mess.  

1.  The fireplace was framed in wood and was meant to be installed in concrete.
2.  When you lit a fire upstairs, smoke came out the downstairs fireplace and water heater.
3.  Carbon monoxide from the water heater was venting out both fire places.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad wrote:I liked the one last night where they put in a new fire place in the basement, tapped it in to the fireplace upstairs and then ran water heater vent in to the whole mess.  

2.  When you lit a fire upstairs, smoke came out the downstairs fireplace and water heater.
How about the uncovered electrical box that was touching the copper gas line? I'm literally surprised that house had not blown up before Holmes got there.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:
Brad wrote:I liked the one last night where they put in a new fire place in the basement, tapped it in to the fireplace upstairs and then ran water heater vent in to the whole mess.  

How about the uncovered electrical box that was touching the copper gas line? I'm literally surprised that house had not blown up before Holmes got there.
Reminds me of my house.  We went to hook up the computer in the basement and all the outlets were grounded, but have 2 prong outlets.  We went to switch it out and the idiots wired them up and then pulled all the slack out (i.e. you did not have any slack to change the outlet).  It had a drop ceiling, so we removed a couple tiles to see if you could run a line to the box.  Apparently, when they wired the basement, they ran the entire place off the kitchen breaker.  Plus, not only did they have ZERO boxes for all the wires, most of them were not even capped.  The previous owners are lucky it never burned down.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:

Reminds me of my house.  We went to hook up the computer in the basement and all the outlets were grounded, but have 2 prong outlets.  We went to switch it out and the idiots wired them up and then pulled all the slack out (i.e. you did not have any slack to change the outlet).  It had a drop ceiling, so we removed a couple tiles to see if you could run a line to the box.  Apparently, when they wired the basement, they ran the entire place off the kitchen breaker.  Plus, not only did they have ZERO boxes for all the wires, most of them were not even capped.  The previous owners are lucky it never burned down.
Damn. Good thing you caught that!
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:

darn. Good thing you caught that!
Mehhh...  Just throw them all on the 30 amp breaker for the electric stove.  It'll work.   :?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

:lafcry:  I need to catch that episode. I still remember an episode ( I think it was Holmes on Homes), that they ran a single 1/4" flex copper piping to a bathroom for both the sink and shower, which has multiple shower heads and needed 100+ psi to work properly.

That is literally like trying to provide all the water a bathroom would need through a freaking straw...
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

S33 wrote:

:lafcry:  I need to catch that episode. I still remember an episode ( I think it was Holmes on Homes), that they ran a single 1/4" flex copper piping to a bathroom for both the sink and shower, which has multiple shower heads and needed 100+ psi to work properly.

That is literally like trying to provide all the water a bathroom would need through a freaking straw...
I'd imagine that "pressure washer" shower would hurt a little.  :)
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

DeWalt wrote:
S33 wrote:

I'd imagine that "pressure washer" shower would hurt a little.  :)
More like slight drizzle than pressure washer.  A small opening only adds pressure if the flow is there to begin with.  

I had copper pipe bent around a corner in my last house.  The current house is much newer so nothing will likely cause a fire but it is still a frequent fantasy that Holmes shows up on my door step to make all the crappy contractors and ex owners work go away.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

cdub wrote:More like slight drizzle than pressure washer.  A small opening only adds pressure if the flow is there to begin with.  

I had copper pipe bent around a corner in my last house.  The current house is much newer so nothing will likely cause a fire but it is still a frequent fantasy that Holmes shows up on my door step to make all the crappy contractors and ex owners work go away.
Well...  That and the fact that he always WAY over-builds everything, so you'd end up with a mansion.  :)