Garbage pickup

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Garbage pickup

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:All the private trash haulers are going to be about the same price and service wise. I've dealt with Papillion Sanitation, Abe's and Premier over the years and never had an issue with any of them. My advice would be to call around and find the better deal.

If recycling glass is important to you, Papillion Sanitation is the only company who will take it. That's because they truck co-mingled recycle to South Dakota to be processed, versus Firstar here in Omaha.

May want t check but I think Papillion Sanitation stopped taking glass recently in the recyclables
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:
jessep28 wrote:All the private trash haulers are going to be about the same price and service wise. I've dealt with Papillion Sanitation, Abe's and Premier over the years and never had an issue with any of them. My advice would be to call around and find the better deal.

If recycling glass is important to you, Papillion Sanitation is the only company who will take it. That's because they truck co-mingled recycle to South Dakota to be processed, versus Firstar here in Omaha.

May want t check but I think Papillion Sanitation stopped taking glass recently in the recyclables
You're right. Papillion Sanitation's website stated that glass is no longer accepted as of August 1st, 2015. I haven't used them for years and wasn't aware of the change.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

You're right. Papillion Sanitation's website stated that glass is no longer accepted as of August 1st, 2015. I haven't used them for years and wasn't aware of the change.
Guess I could have looked there too! I just remembered hearing that somewhere recently.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Waste management offers a bi-weekly pickup. For me, living alone that works out. Recycles and trash at the same time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Proposed overhaul of Omaha's waste collection would send yard waste to landfill along with trash

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/propose ... eea6f.html
Roseann Moring / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Separate curbside yard waste collection could go by the wayside in Omaha under a set of proposals to overhaul the city’s waste pickup.
Instead of becoming compost, yard waste would be collected along with trash and sent to the landfill.
How many people are still bagging their lawn? That really seems like a thing of the past.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

I will the first couple of times of the year, as it picks up a lot of junk (dead leaves, small twigs) that have settled over the winter. But yeah, after that it's just mulch......
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Most of mine is just the spring to pick up the leaves from the flower beds and out of the bushes -- then just let it fly. Although I do have bunches of branches during the year.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

A lot of people in my neighborhood (Dundee) still bag leaves. We compost our leaves in the backyard, but a lot of our neighbors have nice lawns they don't want to clutter with mulched leaves. I still put out bags with branches and the junk I clean out of the flower beds.
jessep28
Planning Board

I hRe: Garbage pickup

Post by jessep28 »

I have a hard time believing that something this significant can be negotiated without going to bid. However, the city is only in the preliminary stages of restructuring trash pickup.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I wouldn't mind if they furnished the larger cart for garbage but personally I don't need the same size cart for recycling as they would take up a lot of room in the garage.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

They're trying to get the larger recycling carts to encourage more recycling so that the city can go back to making money off of recycling.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The city will pay a consultant $90k to study yard waste collection.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/council ... e8b85.html
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Dundeemaha wrote:They're trying to get the larger recycling carts to encourage more recycling so that the city can go back to making money off of recycling.
Why would anyone be surprised that a commodity producer who had incentive to move product quickly would get rolled in the sale of said commodity?

Bigger bin, more stuff. More stuff, more pressure to sell to limit storage cost. Even bigger reaming.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

In the area I live, we have the large bins for both trash and recycling. We fill-up the recycling bin more regularly than the trash bin, mainly because we try to recycle as much as possible. They only pick-up the recycle bin once every two weeks. We could probably get by with once a month or 3 weeks sometimes if we really cram it in. Omaha should look into picking up the recycling every two weeks. The bins do take up a lot of room in the garage though. It would be hard to find room in some of the older homes with smaller garages, and they're not the most pleasant thing to look at if you have to store them outside. We haul glass to the collection places ourselves.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GetUrban wrote:In the area I live, we have the large bins for both trash and recycling. We fill-up the recycling bin more regularly than the trash bin, mainly because we try to recycle as much as possible. They only pick-up the recycle bin once every two weeks. We could probably get by with once a month or 3 weeks sometimes if we really cram it in. Omaha should look into picking up the recycling every two weeks. The bins do take up a lot of room in the garage though. It would be hard to find room in some of the older homes with smaller garages, and they're not the most pleasant thing to look at if you have to store them outside. We haul glass to the collection places ourselves.
We have a large bin for recycle also. Both get picked up weekly. The recycle is as full or fuller than the trash for us most weeks
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Many didn't get the memo that there wouldn't be an observed Christmas delay for trash pickup this year since it fell on a Sunday, and failed to put their stuff out. Of course a subset of said population complains to the news about having to sit on Xmas garbage for a week.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:Many didn't get the memo that there wouldn't be an observed Christmas delay for trash pickup this year since it fell on a Sunday, and failed to put their stuff out. Of course a subset of said population complains to the news about having to sit on Xmas garbage for a week.
While the garbage website really is garbage... It does say right at the top "Holidays that land on a Saturday or Sunday do not affect collection"

http://www.wasteline.org/gen_hol.htm