2013 Omaha Mayoral Election

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I was watching an episode of the simpsons that i dvr'd before the election and there was an ad for mayor suttle that was sponsered by firefighters for better government. they pictured a rendering of the skyline that had two building that dont exist, placed behind the owh building in the skyline. it looks a lot like a picture dto made for one of the threads about omaha in 20 years about 3 or 4 years ago. thought id throw that out there.
Go Cubs Go
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

thenewguy wrote:I was watching an episode of the simpsons that i dvr'd before the election and there was an ad for mayor suttle that was sponsered by firefighters for better government. they pictured a rendering of the skyline that had two building that dont exist, placed behind the owh building in the skyline. it looks a lot like a picture dto made for one of the threads about omaha in 20 years about 3 or 4 years ago. thought id throw that out there.
I saw a sloppy rendering once that had Wall Street Tower and the rumored Pacific Life building in it somewhere. Was that it maybe?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Oh, and why is this thread titled the "2012 Omaha Mayoral Election" when there never was a 2012 Omaha mayoral election?
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: 2013 Omaha Mayoral Election

Post by jessep28 »

Our buddy D'Shawn got arrested today at the council meeting:

[url=ttp://www.jrn.com/kmtv/news/Man-Arrested-at-C ... 69351.html]Man Arrested at City Hall Meeting; Driveway Ordinance Passes[/url]
KMTV wrote: Omaha (KMTV) - A surprise disruption at Omaha City Hall came on the first day of new security rules.

At issue, the city's new parking ordinance, which the council approved. But not before some fireworks, and only the KMTV Action 3 News cameras were there.

D'Shawn Cunningham told the council he had missed last week's public hearing on a parking ordinance that will make it illegal to park within three feet of a driveway. He came to the meeting peacefully but left in cuffs. Cunningham wanted the council to vote down the measure.

But council members approved it unanimously, saying the ordinance gives police officers a tool to address the issue when they are called to deal with parking complaints.

When council passed the issue, Cunningham refused to leave. "This need to be voted no on," he said. "I feel so strongly about this that I'm not going to leave the podium until there's a no vote. So if I have to be physically removed, that's what's going to happen."

And that's what did happen. The Douglas County Sheriff's office tells us Cunningham had exceeded the three minutes allotted for people to speak. Someone else was waiting to address council, but Cunningham blocked that person from speaking. That's when deputies led him out of chambers in cuffs and cited him for obstructing government operations.

Cunningham is part of a group called "Fix the Police." He has been very critical of Omaha police officers and their handling of some high profile cases.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

If I was upset with police discrimination and handling of high-profile cases, I'm not sure I'd spend so much effort fighting a 3' setback for parking next to a driveway.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Seth wrote:If I was upset with police discrimination and handling of high-profile cases, I'm not sure I'd spend so much effort fighting a 3' setback for parking next to a driveway.
He's gotta start somewhere...?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Several people protested today in front of the Police Officers Association building, which is on private property. Were they trying to bait the police?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Why protest a bill centered around parking in front of people's driveways...?

Does he protest just to protest? :shrug:
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If the 3' rule was enforced on my street we would lose probably 5 parking spots just on the block my house is on let alone the rest of the 'hood. Seems like an unnecessary ordinance when it was already illegal to block a driveway.

Not worth going out in cuffs over, but it is a solution to a non-problem IMO.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:If the 3' rule was enforced on my street we would lose probably 5 parking spots just on the block my house is on let alone the rest of the 'hood.  Seems like an unnecessary ordinance when it was already illegal to block a driveway.

Ah, my bad with my post above, I wasn't trying to imply it's a good ordiance... But just questioning, in his grand scheme of protesting, if it was worth arrest over.
No posts exist for this topic
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

MadMartin8 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:If the 3' rule was enforced on my street we would lose probably 5 parking spots just on the block my house is on let alone the rest of the 'hood.  Seems like an unnecessary ordinance when it was already illegal to block a driveway.

Ah, my bad with my post above, I wasn't trying to imply it's a good ordiance... But just questioning, in his grand scheme of protesting, if it was worth arrest over.

No. No, it was not.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I do agree. It seems on par with the ordinance establishing a legal window of time for your trash cans to be on the curb before and after trash day.

Did the parking bill include illustrations as to the datum for measuring setback? Is it from the outside of the curb at the driveway, or the flat surface inside? What about driveways with tapered transitions into the street?
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I think it's one of those laws that's going to go unused unless there is an actual issue caused by it.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Garrett wrote:I think it's one of those laws that's going to go unused unless there is an actual issue caused by it.
The vast majority of parking violations and curb tows are initiated by citizen complaints. The police would rather not be dealing with them.