2013 Omaha Mayoral Election

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

2013 Omaha Mayoral Election

Post by nativeomahan »

State Senator Brad Ashford says he may toss his hat in the ring for Omaha mayor next year.  He is smart, a political pragmatist, and well versed in Nebraska politics.  His family has Nebraska roots going back a century or more.  This is an interesting development.  I suspect Suttle will run for reelection.  May the best person win.
joeglow
Planning Board

Stothert for Mayor?

Post by joeglow »

Stothert stockpile hints at mayoral run

"With more than a year to go before the next city election, Omaha City Councilwoman Jean Stothert has the largest campaign war chest at City Hall.

A World-Herald review of last year's campaign finance reports shows Stothert stockpiling more cash than any of her six council colleagues or Mayor Jim Suttle.

Stothert had $112,701 in her campaign account at the end of 2011, including more than $85,000 in contributions for the year. Prominent Omaha business interests were among her largest donors.

Suttle reported cash on hand of $94,174. The mayor, however, spent roughly $180,300. He also drummed up $230,636 in contributions since March 2011."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120205/N ... ayoral-run
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Dear god no!! :evil:
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

I support it just to see the fire union's heads explode and see how much money they spend on it.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Is there by any chance an electromagnetic anti-gravity secret weapon involved here somewhere?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

She has less chance at winning than I do.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

If someone has proof of wrong doing and illegality they should show it to the police.   Not to this forum.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Names Being Tossed Around:

Jim Suttle - Officially Announced
Jean Stothert
Brad Ashford - Officially Announced
Dave Nabity - Officially Announced
Franklin Thompson
Dan Welch
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I would vote for Stothert just to cheese off the unions.   Love how she can support her husband'sundercompensated service to the fire and police depts all these years and they stab her in the back.  Would love to see her win.  

Nabity: meh.

Thompson is my councilman and he has been inert when I have interacted with him on issues in my neighborhood.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I've got to admit that none of these candidates excites me.  I don't have may problems with Suttle, but he's just not a very dynamic leader.  He could have done better with the union contracts, but I think his bigger issue has been bungling the PR of his ideas and plans.  I am a big fan of the streetcar and alternative transportation plans, but those weren't initiated by him, and his effort to push them forward has been rather mediocre.  Granted, getting SUV-loving Omahans to let even pennies go to bike infrastructure is an uphill battle, but I would expect to see more effort from the major.

As far as Nabity, I'd rather have Dick Cheney as Mayor.  Enough said there.

I'm not that familiar with the rest of the group, but unless they present sound ideas and the attitude to implement them, I'll probably reluctantly vote for Suttle.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

It appears that Dan Welch has officially entered the race:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120628/N ... yor-s-race

Edit: It appears that they updated the article and now Stothert is officially running too.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

update

Names Being Tossed Around:

Jim Suttle - Officially Announced
Jean Stothert - Officially Announced
Brad Ashford - Officially Announced
Dave Nabity - Officially Announced
Franklin Thompson
Dan Welch - Officially Announced
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

You would hope that a city as old as Omaha wouldn't even consider eating from a bowl full of such fruit loops as this collection of candidates.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Realistically, the only ones on that list could challenge Suttle would be Welch and Ashford.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote:Realistically, the only ones on that list could challenge Suttle would be Welch and Ashford.
I was say Welch and Stothert.  I am just not sure Ashford has much pull in Omaha and just seems to fall in to the background a lot.

That said, Welch would have some catching up to do to...  He has been out of the spotlight for a while now.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:Realistically, the only ones on that list could challenge Suttle would be Welch and Ashford.
I was say Welch and Stothert.  I am just not sure Ashford has much pull in Omaha and just seems to fall in to the background a lot.

That said, Welch would have some catching up to do to...  He has been out of the spotlight for a while now.
I don't see any way Stothert mounts a serious challenge to Suttle. She has no real accomplishments during her short stint on the council and the moderates and independents (read; most of the Omaha electorate) will have absolutely no interest in her.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its Omaha... For better or worse, Household names do much better than random people that just happen to make the news every once in a while.  I am not sure how much Stothert is making the news down in Tampa, but here in Omaha she is on the news and radio ever other day.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Here's a couple posts I made on City Data a few days ago. Figure I might as well share them here too.
Ok, so I figured it was time to bump this thread.

First, I am shocked, literally shocked, that neither Dan Welch nor Dave Nabity appear to have put up a campaign website. It's been almost four months now since the announcements came down, and STILL nothing. That right there tells me that these two either A) don't take their campaigns that seriously, B) feel they don't have a realistic shot at winning...or a combination of both. Just at an absolute loss for how to explain that one.

Conversely, Suttle, Stothert and Ashford have websites up and running.

On that note, I actually read over Jean's page, and don't know whether to laugh or shake my head.

- Some of the most ridiculous anti-tax rhetoric I've ever seen. Sorry Jean, I don't think the rather slight tax increases Suttle pushed through are worthy of such adjectives as "binge" and "massive".

- Claims Suttle sees "government as the answer to job growth and economic development. That’s why they love higher taxes and more spending." Funny, under Suttle we've seen some pretty massive cuts to the Public Works department, and hiring freezes within the Police and Fire departments.

- Stothert argues for more tax cuts, claims it will bring in more revenue. Clearly, Jean is unfamiliar with the concept of diminishing returns. In the next breath, she claims to want to hire more police officers, improve schools and lead an effort to combat "small things" like graffiti and run down properties. Sorry Jean, you can't have it both ways. Either you want lower taxes or more services. Pick one or the other.

- Nonsensical bitching about the pension issues. Harps on the $600 million dollar liability while conveniently neglecting to mention that 98% of those losses came in the stock market, not as a result of the pension spiking. Seemingly takes credit for the major reforms achieved with the unions while also neglecting to mention that she voted against both the police contract (which passed) and the fire contract.

What a joke.
Here's another thing that got me about Stothert's website.
Since being elected to the city council in 2009, I’ve heard from thousands of Omahans who have written, called, or met me in their neighborhoods. And from their voices one thing is clear: Omahans want a strong leader who will keep the promises they make. They want a conservative voice, independent of special interests.
Am I the only one that finds that pretty misleading and frankly, insulting? If you want to be a conservative, fine, but don't sit there and act like a city that is solidly blue, with a 4-3 Democratic majority on the City Council and having elected a Democratic Mayor for 3 straight terms is calling for a "conservative voice". Your tea party constituents in southwest Omaha may want that, but the city as a whole doesn't.
Mort Sullivan

Post by Mort Sullivan »

^ Why you re-posting something that's this boring, andthat nobody wanted to read in the first place?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Mort Sullivan wrote:^ Why you re-posting something that's this boring, andthat nobody wanted to read in the first place?
Why you so damn crazy-sexy?
Stable genius.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

So what is everyone’s take on this?  Sure is something that Chris Jerram should not have done but many not in the political spot light have done stuff that is the equal I would imagine.  Since they are both on the city council can this be considered work place harassment?    Serious question.  Also, has Jean Stothert made any official statement?

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

What does the whole tshirt say? It is hard to tell in the photo
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

He is a jackass.  Plus, it shows, once again, the pieces of sh*t the fire union is and the lengths they will go to use their thug tactics to ensure a friendly face is sitting across the table from them when it comes time for collective bargaining.  I am amazed that there are still people who see this and don't see an issue with public unions.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Sure looks like harassment from here.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

So this is what political discourse has become in this country.

Sad.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

S33 wrote:Sure looks like harassment from here.
agree
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Looks like that guy is a piece of |expletive| more than anything.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The fire union could not have done something more showing of their inner d-bag.  Jerram should just quit now.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

MadMartin8 wrote:So this is what political discourse has become in this country.

Sad.
This story made the lede on this evening's KETV news.

Unfortunately, if you're a politician, you're fair game for otherwise unfair attacks! :(
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omababe wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:So this is what political discourse has become in this country.

Sad.
This story made the lede on this evening's KETV news.

Unfortunately, if you're a politician, you're fair game for otherwise unfair attacks! :(
Sadly, it is because we simply accept it as "politics as usual."  Anyone want to bet Jerram sticks around and remains unscathed?  Would he be facing the same fate if he did this regarding Brenda Council?  How about if it was a racist shirt about Ben Grey?  Unfortunately, there are certain demographics that voters tolerate this type of behavior against.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

joeglow wrote:How about if it was a racist shirt about Ben Grey?  Unfortunately, there are certain demographics that voters tolerate this type of behavior against.
As I think back to last fall's election, I remember some very offensive racially-oriented caricatures of our President. What's disturbing is that so many admittedly thought they were cute and funny, as they do today regarding the pole dancer t-shirt.

It's our contemporary custom to attack the person and not the ideas!

I'm guilty of it too. Last fall I gleefully passed on the infamous Eddie Munster-Paul Ryan "separated at birth" diptych as soon as it found its way to my inbox.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omababe wrote: As I think back to last fall's election, I remember some very offensive racially-oriented caricatures of our President. What's disturbing is that so many admittedly thought they were cute and funny, as they do today regarding the pole dancer t-shirt.
I agree.  However, there is one VERY important distinction - this was perpetuated by an elected official who also happens to serve side by side with the victim.  How that heck people find this acceptable are not calling for him to step down is beyond me.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

It's stupid and horribly unprofessional and he'll probably lose some votes over it.  But resign?  Give me a break.

If the same level of stupid was shown in defense of Chik-Fil-A he'd have people lined up making campaign donations and defending his rights to free speech.
Stable genius.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

It's still going on. This just hit the inbox. More of the same drek! :(

http://www.breitbartunmasked.com/featur ... not-satan/
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Those people are ridiculous.  I just laugh at them any more.  

But anyway, what Jerram did was stupid and he should apologize and just deal with the backlash that's coming and everyone should move on.

But it's really not that big of a deal.
Stable genius.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Big E wrote:Those people are ridiculous.  I just laugh at them any more.  

But anyway, what Jerram did was stupid and he should apologize and just deal with the backlash that's coming and everyone should move on.

But it's really not that big of a deal.
He already apologized on his FB page, I checked it out yesterday.

I miss Mort.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:It's stupid and horribly unprofessional and he'll probably lose some votes over it.  But resign?  Give me a break.

If the same level of stupid was shown in defense of Chik-Fil-A he'd have people lined up making campaign donations and defending his rights to free speech.
So, if a politician was throwing the n-bomb around in relation to Grey, you would think the thought of him resigning a joke?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omababe wrote:It's still going on. This just hit the inbox. More of the same drek! :(

http://www.breitbartunmasked.com/featur ... not-satan/
Again, which of those posts are from elected officials?

If an elected politician held up a shirt of Obama toiling the cotton fields and said "Obama, Quit Enslaving the American Public" you would consider it the same as those posts?