The Stothert Administration

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Re: The Stothert Administration

Postby HskrFanMike » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:34 pm

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/in-wake ... 8dcf0.html
Depending on how the storm hits and when it arrives, Stothert said she would be ready to direct all big plows to major streets, especially during rush hour periods. Smaller city pickup trucks would plow secondary streets, rather than residential areas. Those smaller trucks also might supplement plowing on the most-used streets.

Or... how her predecessors used to handle snow storms.

Blog:  http://huskermike.blogspot.com

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Man they got poor Mayor Stothert strung out pretty good this week. I mean yesterday she had to attend a dogs funeral. :shock: Even had to say a few kind words about old Kofus in front of the church packed with a thousand people. :roll: Poor old K-9 officer Kofus took one for the city earlier this week from a holed up crazy bald man in Keystone. I think our mayor has lots more important things to handle then a dogs funeral.

PotatoeEatsFish
Library Board

Postby PotatoeEatsFish » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:49 pm

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Man they got poor Mayor Stothert strung out pretty good this week. I mean yesterday she had to attend a dogs funeral. :shock: Even had to say a few kind words about old Kofus in front of the church packed with a thousand people. :roll: Poor old K-9 officer Kofus took one for the city earlier this week from a holed up crazy bald man in Keystone. I think our mayor has lots more important things to handle then a dogs funeral.

The police officers who worked with this dog had strong ties to it. The dog served the city of Omaha to protect the citizens of this city. The mayor should say something about it. Oh I'm sorry maybe she would do more good sitting in an office? That worked out so well during the snowstorm.
I got that Milf $

HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Postby HskrFanMike » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:15 pm

I can't remember any Omaha school district cancelling school 18 hours before class began, and at least ten hours before a single flake fell. I can't help but think that Stothert's inability to clear the streets this year affected each superintendent's decision.
Blog:  http://huskermike.blogspot.com

Greg S
Planning Board

Postby Greg S » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:23 pm

I don't think it had anything to do with Stothert. More and more they seem to try and cancel the night before. I just think they looked at all the models and forecasts and said with near certainty, we're getting quite a bit of snow why wait until the evening.

I guess they could have done it at 9 or 10 pm, but why wait?

Greg

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:32 pm

They could have had late starts. It seemed like around 10:00 everything was under control.

EastCB
Home Owners Association

Postby EastCB » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:40 pm

HskrFanMike wrote:I can't remember any Omaha school district cancelling school 18 hours before class began, and at least ten hours before a single flake fell. I can't help but think that Stothert's inability to clear the streets this year affected each superintendent's decision.

Ya, her inability affected the decision. Even in Iowa. :roll:

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:14 pm

I was out on the roads by 7:20 this morning. Lots of snow but not too bad, assuming it was mostly because there was almost zero traffic out there. There was some snow, but nothing slick. I think there roads really took a turn for the worse at 4 when that quick round of sleet moved through.

As far as the residential we had someone, not sure if it was a neighbor or private contractor that made a pass down our streets by 6:30 am and then by 9 or 10, the roads were really cleared good by the private contractors.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:54 am

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/omaha-ended-with-million-surplus-stothert-wants-to-increase-hiring/article_7a255488-bf86-5d2a-ab3c-19b0efaaf60b.html

Omaha ended 2015 with $10.8 million surplus

Here are her years in office:

2013: $11.8 Million surplus
2014: $13.8 Million surplus
2015: $10.8 Million surplus

Also for 2015 the restaurant tax generated $29.5 million, a little more than expected.

Greg S
Planning Board

Postby Greg S » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:03 am

Can you imagine what the city's budget would be like without the restaurant tax?

Greg

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Greg S wrote:Can you imagine what the city's budget would be like without the restaurant tax?

Wasn't she on record as getting rid of this tax

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Postby bigredmed » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:49 pm

Coyote wrote:
Greg S wrote:Can you imagine what the city's budget would be like without the restaurant tax?

Yes, but then she met with the bond raters. Suddenly, it was better to tax restaurants than to see the city drop deeper in bond rating.

choke
Human Relations

Postby choke » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:45 pm

bigredmed wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Yes, but then she met with the bond raters. Suddenly, it was better to tax restaurants than to see the city drop deeper in bond rating.

Besides the restaurant tax and ConAgra, I think Stothert has been a good mayor. Sounds like she pulled out all the stops for HDR and parking. But ConAgra, I think she could of stood up to the CEO a little bit better. She should of pressed the HQ move issue more than she did. The CEO kind of walked all over her on that issue. Told her not to believe what you read and then the following week said the Chicago news article was right and ConAgra was moving.

Return to “Omaha Metro Area Government”