US Senate GOP Primary

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Post by bigredmed »

And then the Dems will be forced to disclose the source of their funds. Sasse is already making a move to moderate his positions. Should be a good race.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska Senate Nominee Says Religious Beliefs Can Justify Breaking Any Law
“[O]ur right to the free exercise of religion is co-equal to our right to life,” according to the campaign website of Ben Sasse, a Nebraska Republican who won his party’s nomination to the United States Senate on Tuesday. Nebraska is a solid red state that preferred Romney to Obama by a massive 21 point margin in 2012, so Sasse is now all but certain to succeed retiring Sen. Mike Johanns (R) this November. If he does, Sasse promises to promote an almost anarchistic vision of religious liberty as a member of the Senate. According to Sasse’s website, “[g]overnment cannot force citizens to violate their religious beliefs under any circumstances.”
Let's see how moderate he becomes :roll:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

This can surely not backfire in any way.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Nebraska Senate Nominee Says Religious Beliefs Can Justify Breaking Any Law
“[O]ur right to the free exercise of religion is co-equal to our right to life,” according to the campaign website of Ben Sasse, a Nebraska Republican who won his party’s nomination to the United States Senate on Tuesday. Nebraska is a solid red state that preferred Romney to Obama by a massive 21 point margin in 2012, so Sasse is now all but certain to succeed retiring Sen. Mike Johanns (R) this November. If he does, Sasse promises to promote an almost anarchistic vision of religious liberty as a member of the Senate. According to Sasse’s website, “[g]overnment cannot force citizens to violate their religious beliefs under any circumstances.”
Why is this not surprising me?

Given the candidates that we had to choose from in this election, I just couldn't bring myself to vote for any of them.
No posts exist for this topic
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Nebraska Senate Nominee Says Religious Beliefs Can Justify Breaking Any Law
Why is this not surprising me?

Given the candidates that we had to choose from in this election, I just couldn't bring myself to vote for any of them.
Meh, the guy is kind of a D-bag and I'm sure he'll embarrass our state quite a bit when he inevitably ends up in Mordor on the Potomac, but the sort of hysterics in the article are almost as annoying as the Social Conservatism of Sasse.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Well Sasse takes it.
Great...another Tea Party moron. That'll sure help the dysfunction in Washington :roll:

These guys need to learn that compromise is a basic part of governing.
I actually disagree. I find the Social Conservatism of the Tea Party to be disgusting, but as a general rule I'm all for gridlock. The less work Congress actually does, the better. If they did something useful like going after police militarization and brutality I might feel differently, but the world being what it is I'd prefer to see them play poker or stage performances of Lady Windermere's Fan in the Capitol Building.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Totally agree with that.. and to be fair our government was designed be more gridlock to avoid government growing to big. Comprimise is just another term for allowing things to get further out of control.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Chip Maxwell joining the race:
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/i-have- ... b2370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Brad wrote:Chip Maxwell joining the race:
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/i-have- ... b2370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good news for those who've had enough of Terry. I'm surprised he's held on this long. Ashford will have a good (better) chance with a split GOP vote.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sasse wins the Senate. Nebraska's Senators are as conservative as it gets nationwide. Really looking like Terry is going down. Considering the conservative wins tonight I was surprised to see the huge wins for the Minimum Wage increase and OPS Bond. Not to say I expected them to fail, but they are both dominant wins it looks like.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

iamjacobm wrote:Really looking like Terry is going down.
The talking heads were just saying that the final count may not be in until Friday. I'm really not surprised. He has a Blue-Dog Dem opponent and a Libertarian as a spoiler.
Considering the conservative wins tonight I was surprised to see the huge wins for the Minimum Wage increase and OPS Bond.
Most everyone, including Pubs and even many teabaggers, support a livable wage and a quality education, even if only within the privacy of the voting booth!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Looks like Lee Terry is going to be a lobbyist:
Lee Terry to join D.C. law firm

I'm absolutely shocked! :;):
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Looks like Lee Terry is going to be a lobbyist:
Lee Terry to join D.C. law firm

I'm absolutely shocked!  :;):
You're so cynical: He's not going to be a lobbyist, he's going to be a "legislative advocate". Doesn't that sound so much more noble?
KETV wrote:Terry will join the firm's Government Relations and Public Policy practice group at its Washington, D.C., office. ...the group [is] a bipartisan team of legislative advocates who work to advance clients' interests.