US Senate GOP Primary

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby bigredmed » Wed May 14, 2014 1:58 pm

And then the Dems will be forced to disclose the source of their funds. Sasse is already making a move to moderate his positions. Should be a good race.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20615
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby Coyote » Wed May 14, 2014 3:16 pm

Nebraska Senate Nominee Says Religious Beliefs Can Justify Breaking Any Law

“[O]ur right to the free exercise of religion is co-equal to our right to life,” according to the campaign website of Ben Sasse, a Nebraska Republican who won his party’s nomination to the United States Senate on Tuesday. Nebraska is a solid red state that preferred Romney to Obama by a massive 21 point margin in 2012, so Sasse is now all but certain to succeed retiring Sen. Mike Johanns (R) this November. If he does, Sasse promises to promote an almost anarchistic vision of religious liberty as a member of the Senate. According to Sasse’s website, “[g]overnment cannot force citizens to violate their religious beliefs under any circumstances.”


Let's see how moderate he becomes :roll:
Image

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2748
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby RNcyanide » Wed May 14, 2014 5:49 pm

This can surely not backfire in any way.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2136
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby MadMartin8 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Coyote wrote:Nebraska Senate Nominee Says Religious Beliefs Can Justify Breaking Any Law

“[O]ur right to the free exercise of religion is co-equal to our right to life,” according to the campaign website of Ben Sasse, a Nebraska Republican who won his party’s nomination to the United States Senate on Tuesday. Nebraska is a solid red state that preferred Romney to Obama by a massive 21 point margin in 2012, so Sasse is now all but certain to succeed retiring Sen. Mike Johanns (R) this November. If he does, Sasse promises to promote an almost anarchistic vision of religious liberty as a member of the Senate. According to Sasse’s website, “[g]overnment cannot force citizens to violate their religious beliefs under any circumstances.”


Let's see how moderate he becomes :roll:


Why is this not surprising me?

Given the candidates that we had to choose from in this election, I just couldn't bring myself to vote for any of them.
No posts exist for this topic

Professor Woland
Library Board
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby Professor Woland » Wed May 14, 2014 10:12 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Nebraska Senate Nominee Says Religious Beliefs Can Justify Breaking Any Law

“[O]ur right to the free exercise of religion is co-equal to our right to life,” according to the campaign website of Ben Sasse, a Nebraska Republican who won his party’s nomination to the United States Senate on Tuesday. Nebraska is a solid red state that preferred Romney to Obama by a massive 21 point margin in 2012, so Sasse is now all but certain to succeed retiring Sen. Mike Johanns (R) this November. If he does, Sasse promises to promote an almost anarchistic vision of religious liberty as a member of the Senate. According to Sasse’s website, “[g]overnment cannot force citizens to violate their religious beliefs under any circumstances.”


Let's see how moderate he becomes :roll:


Why is this not surprising me?

Given the candidates that we had to choose from in this election, I just couldn't bring myself to vote for any of them.


Meh, the guy is kind of a D-bag and I'm sure he'll embarrass our state quite a bit when he inevitably ends up in Mordor on the Potomac, but the sort of hysterics in the article are almost as annoying as the Social Conservatism of Sasse.

Professor Woland
Library Board
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby Professor Woland » Wed May 14, 2014 10:20 pm

HR Paperstacks wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Well Sasse takes it.

Great...another Tea Party moron. That'll sure help the dysfunction in Washington :roll:

These guys need to learn that compromise is a basic part of governing.


I actually disagree. I find the Social Conservatism of the Tea Party to be disgusting, but as a general rule I'm all for gridlock. The less work Congress actually does, the better. If they did something useful like going after police militarization and brutality I might feel differently, but the world being what it is I'd prefer to see them play poker or stage performances of Lady Windermere's Fan in the Capitol Building.

User avatar
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:39 am
Location: New York City..Soon To Be Omaha
Contact:

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby guitarguy » Thu May 15, 2014 11:23 am

Totally agree with that.. and to be fair our government was designed be more gridlock to avoid government growing to big. Comprimise is just another term for allowing things to get further out of control.
mountzenith New Album Releasing This Week.. Download For Free Here

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28462
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby Brad » Wed May 21, 2014 12:31 pm

Chip Maxwell joining the race:
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/i-have- ... b2370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby GetUrban » Wed May 21, 2014 1:03 pm

Brad wrote:Chip Maxwell joining the race:
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/i-have- ... b2370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Good news for those who've had enough of Terry. I'm surprised he's held on this long. Ashford will have a good (better) chance with a split GOP vote.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8854
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby iamjacobm » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:25 pm

Sasse wins the Senate. Nebraska's Senators are as conservative as it gets nationwide. Really looking like Terry is going down. Considering the conservative wins tonight I was surprised to see the huge wins for the Minimum Wage increase and OPS Bond. Not to say I expected them to fail, but they are both dominant wins it looks like.

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2179
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby Omababe » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:03 am

iamjacobm wrote:Really looking like Terry is going down.


The talking heads were just saying that the final count may not be in until Friday. I'm really not surprised. He has a Blue-Dog Dem opponent and a Libertarian as a spoiler.

Considering the conservative wins tonight I was surprised to see the huge wins for the Minimum Wage increase and OPS Bond.


Most everyone, including Pubs and even many teabaggers, support a livable wage and a quality education, even if only within the privacy of the voting booth!

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby HR Paperstacks » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Looks like Lee Terry is going to be a lobbyist:
Lee Terry to join D.C. law firm

I'm absolutely shocked! :;):

User avatar
Seth
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1439
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm
Location: Ford Birthsite Neighborhood

Re: US Senate GOP Primary

Postby Seth » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:26 pm

HR Paperstacks wrote:Looks like Lee Terry is going to be a lobbyist:
Lee Terry to join D.C. law firm

I'm absolutely shocked!  :;):


You're so cynical: He's not going to be a lobbyist, he's going to be a "legislative advocate". Doesn't that sound so much more noble?

KETV wrote:Terry will join the firm's Government Relations and Public Policy practice group at its Washington, D.C., office. ...the group [is] a bipartisan team of legislative advocates who work to advance clients' interests.


Return to “Omaha Metro Area Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest