2015 Pothole season

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

2015 Pothole season

Post by Coyote »

Yesterday I noticed more than a few crews out fixing potholes, so I guess the season has begun. The middle lane of NB 72nd St was closed around Pine St, and several other stretches, EB Maple's left lane was closed after 72nd...
I'm thinking this year may be one if those years of road repairs...
Brad
City Council

Re: 2015 Pothole season

Post by Brad »

I saw them Sunday out by Oakview too.

Not a second too soon because they are really bad all over town! Channel 6 showed one on Saddle-creek that was so big they had lifeguards on duty!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I think I just heard 1620 run a lane closure report...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I think I just heard 1620 run a lane closure report...
Some station needs to get a monster truck with huge tires and just roll around town and give mobile pothole reports. It would be a total gimmick, but I am sure it would get more interest than the traffic reports.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I think this last combination of weather really exacerbated the usual problem. Lots of weather swings and the one storm where it rained, so water in all the cracks and small holes, then snowed, got cold, then thawed right away. Thats a lot of potential movement in a short time. About the only thing worse would have been a longer harder freeze right in the middle of the two really warm spots.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cdub wrote:I think this last combination of weather really exacerbated the usual problem.  Lots of weather swings and the one storm where it rained, so water in all the cracks and small holes, then snowed, got cold, then thawed right away.  Thats a lot of potential movement in a short time.  About the only thing worse would have been a longer harder freeze right in the middle of the two really warm spots.
This week ahead won't help much either.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

cdub wrote:I think this last combination of weather really exacerbated the usual problem.
Yeah, freeze-thaw cycles with a lot of available surface water really cause a big pothole problem.

I see that the compaints about how bad the potholes are have been filling up the local news comment sections. I wonder how many also complain about taxes being too high?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:I wonder how many also complain about taxes being too high?
All of them...

Its the same people that think they are entitled to IMMEDIATE snow removal. You know the "Its been done snowing for 20 min now, where the |expletive| is the plow?"
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Most people would rather complain about things than take 5 minutes out of their day and report it to the city. Every time I filed a pothole complaint, it was usually fixed within 24 hours. Although, the mobile app for reporting isn't the easiest to use unless you're on top of the pothole to use the locate feature. I preferred the old system where you filled out a form on the city's website and sent it in.

Speaking of the mobile app, it's kind of funny look at nearby requests for an area and see what people complain about.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:Most people would rather complain about things than take 5 minutes out of their day and report it to the city.
Very True.

BTW, that made me remember I need to report my streetlight being out.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:
All of them...

Its the same people that think they are entitled to IMMEDIATE snow removal.  You know the "Its been done snowing for 20 min now, where the |expletive| is the plow?"
For example:

Brad wrote:
jessep28 wrote:Most people would rather complain about things than take 5 minutes out of their day and report it to the city.
Very True.  

BTW, that made me remember I need to report my streetlight being out.
Make sure that you contact OPPD for the street light.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote: For example:
LOL!
jessep28 wrote: Make sure that you contact OPPD for the street light.
I did, they have an easy report just for streetlights on their website.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

The main reason the pot holes suddenly popped up is because this is the first snow where the plows really had to scrape the streets to get the ice and snow off. As the truck goes down the road and pushes that big blade it catches on all the cracks and previous patches and tears them back out so we have to go back and patch them all over again.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:The main reason the pot holes suddenly popped up is because this is the first snow where the plows really had to scrape the streets to get the ice and snow off. As the truck goes down the road and pushes that big blade it catches on all the cracks and previous patches and tears them back out so we have to go back and patch them all over again.
Actually, the force created by the freeze-thaw cycle of water seeping into the cracks is much more damaging to pavement than the plows. I don't doubt the plows do some damage, but freeze-thaw is the real culprit. Until it finally snowed a significant amount, the streets hadn't really had much moisture sitting on the pavement for a prolonged period of time. This time of year, the temps usually swing above freezing during the day and below freezing at night, subjecting the pavement to the forces of freeze-thaw.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote:
I did, they have an easy report just for streetlights on their website.
They have an app for that - OPPDconnect :D
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

On the news some woman had hit one and was going to try to get the city to pay for it. Is that a thing?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote:On the news some woman had hit one and was going to try to get the city to pay for it. Is that a thing?
Apparently if you can prove the city knew about it, but didn't do anything, you can get them to pay for it. This time of the year, they pop up so fast, I think it would be hard to prove.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

72nd and Cass to 78th and Cass is ridiculous right now.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Center between 168th and 156th is also terrible right now. It looks like it needs to be resurfaced.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Stothert said they have shifted 70 city employees to fixing potholes this week. They were hard at work fixing the bombed out Saddle Creek today.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Stothert said they have shifted 70 city employees to fixing potholes this week. They were hard at work fixing the bombed out Saddle Creek today.
They interviewed a guy from the city on the radio the other day and he said that number wasn't accurate. They shifted "Additional People" to bring the number up to 70. He said there are not 70 additional, but rather 70 total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Stothert said they have shifted 70 city employees to fixing potholes this week. They were hard at work fixing the bombed out Saddle Creek today.
They interviewed a guy from the city on the radio the other day and he said that number wasn't accurate. They shifted "Additional People" to bring the number up to 70. He said there are not 70 additional, but rather 70 total.
Someone must of misread the Mayor's text message.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:
Brad wrote:
Someone must of misread the Mayor's text message.
I see what you did there.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brilliant: Street Artist Paints Penises Around Potholes So They Get Fixed Quick

There is a novel idea to solve the city's problem...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I remember a story a few years ago in Omaha where a man outlined the potholes with spray paint and the city was going to fine him if he continued to do it, so I am not sure this would work here.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

skinzfan23 wrote:I remember a story a few years ago in Omaha where a man outlined the potholes with spray paint and the city was going to fine him if he continued to do it, so I am not sure this would work here.
There was also a story from a few Labor Day weekends ago where some guy mixed up a few bags of Quikrete and "patched potholes" around his neighborhood. I wonder how that work is holding up?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

jessep28 wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:I remember a story a few years ago in Omaha where a man outlined the potholes with spray paint and the city was going to fine him if he continued to do it, so I am not sure this would work here.
There was also a story from a few Labor Day weekends ago where some guy mixed up a few bags of Quikrete and "patched potholes" around his neighborhood. I wonder how that work is holding up?
If you and I are on the same page, I think he got fined by the city. What I'm thinking of didn't happen here.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

jessep28 wrote:
Wasn't this in Elkhorn?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I wonder how long that patch lasted. My guess is that it wasn't long. A really Hot or really Cold day probably broke it free of the existing pacement.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:I wonder how long that patch lasted. My guess is that it wasn't long. A really Hot or really Cold day probably broke it free of the existing pacement.
Whenever the city just patches a pothole it always seems to come back worse the next year. On Saddle Creek they have completely ground down the pavement around the problem area and are pouring over much larger areas. I hope it has a longer lifespan.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Brad wrote:I wonder how long that patch lasted. My guess is that it wasn't long. A really Hot or really Cold day probably broke it free of the existing pacement.
Whenever the city just patches a pothole it always seems to come back worse the next year. On Saddle Creek they have completely ground down the pavement around the problem area and are pouring over much larger areas. I hope it has a longer lifespan.
It depends on when the pothole was filled. During the winter months when the hot asphalt plants are down, they can only apply a temporary patch with cold asphalt. Any street repairs made during the warmer months last a lot longer.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Either way, Asphalt is not nearly as rigid as concrete, it seems like that has more of a chance.