Brookhaven West
Whispering Hills
180th Plaza
Area southwest of 180th and F Streets
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Omaha Annexation 2015

Post by skinzfan23 »

If the city added 14,000 to the current estimate from 2014 of 446,599, Omaha's population would be over 460,000!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:If the city added 14,000 to the current estimate from 2014 of 446,599, Omaha's population would be over 460,000!
It is more of a trivia piece than actual importance, but that would probably put us above Atlanta in terms of proper city population.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote: It is more of a trivia piece than actual importance, but that would probably put us above Atlanta in terms of proper city population.
Yeah Atlanta and Virginia Beach....it would move Omaha into the top 40 as well.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are the current population estimates:

39 Atlanta Georgia 456,002
40 Virginia Beach Virginia 450,980
41 Omaha Nebraska 446,599
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Is it just me or does the Stothert Administration have much more ambitious annexation packages than previous ones?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Is she tying this annexation to the hiring of more OPD personnel?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Coyote wrote:Is she tying this annexation to the hiring of more OPD personnel?
OWH article states that the tax revenue will be able to fund ten more police officers.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Why would the mayor want more cops? I thought she was trying to shrink their budget.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Ten more officers is an asinine selling point.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpg
image.jpg (98.42 KiB) Viewed 5168 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Going before the July Planning Board - Approval of the 2015 Annexation Package:

Northwest Village 2nd Addition (SID 430);
Whispering Hills (SID 460);
Standing Bear Pointe (SID 401);
Hillsborough Pointe (SID 432) and adjacent area;
Nelson’s Creek (SID 337);
Diamond Head (SID 350) Huntington Park (SID 374) and adjacent area;
Eldorado (SID 206);
Skyline Country (SID 394) and adjacent area;
Area Southwest of 180th and F Street;
180th Plaza (SID 481) and adjacent area;
Rolling Meadows (SID 286) and adjacent area;
Cinnamon Creek (SID 392) and adjacent area;
Mission Pines (SID 412);
Vintage Oaks (SID 399);
Le Beau (SID 240);
Brookhaven West (SID 435)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Planning Board approves annexation plan, moves to City Council
The Omaha Planning Board approved the 2015 annexation package in a 5-0 vote. The proposal now goes to the full City Council.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Will the council vote soon?
15-17, 26, 32
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Interesting editorial in the OWH today regarding annexation:

Old state law helps Omaha grow
Omaha World-Herald wrote:A 2007 World-Herald analysis of annexation laws around the country found no equal in other states. David Rusk, an urban planner and former mayor of Albuquerque, New Mexico, called the law “uncommon, perhaps unique; but in my judgment, it is a very wise provision.”

It is a vital, bipartisan tool that Mayor Jean Stothert plans to use to add another 14,000 people and more than $1 billion in property to Omaha.
The law allows Omaha to annex Douglas County communities and unincorporated areas of less than 10,000 people on its own. It’s how separate towns like Elkhorn and Millard became neighborhoods in the broader tapestry of Omaha.

It’s also how Omaha has avoided the fate of many other cities around the country — being ringed in by independent, suburban communities while the urban core is hollowed out.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Ala St. Louis.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Louie wrote:Ala St. Louis.
St. Louis got super screwed; The state created completely different counties for St. Louis and its suburbs.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Over the long term Omaha will eventually fill Douglas county and won't be able to annex across county lines. I wonder how the city will adapt if/when that happens.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

daveoma wrote:Over the long term Omaha will eventually fill Douglas county and won't be able to annex across county lines. I wonder how the city will adapt if/when that happens.
That will probably be a very long time.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

daveoma wrote:Over the long term Omaha will eventually fill Douglas county and won't be able to annex across county lines. I wonder how the city will adapt if/when that happens.
There have already been pushes to allow Omaha to be able to expand outside of Douglas County. I'm sure the issue will come up again, especially as we reach the western boundary of the county (~ 264th St). I think the legislation has failed in the past because a lot of people don't want Omaha to expand into Sarpy County. But when we reach the western boundary, I'm pretty sure Sarpy will be filled up enough where that couldn't happen.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
There have already been pushes to allow Omaha to be able to expand outside of Douglas County. I'm sure the issue will come up again, especially as we reach the western boundary of the county (~ 264th St). I think the legislation has failed in the past because a lot of people don't want Omaha to expand into Sarpy County. But when we reach the western boundary, I'm pretty sure Sarpy will be filled up enough where that couldn't happen.
I think if that effort succeeds, then Omaha will expand into Saunders and Washington counties. I agree that the city would not be very interested in Sarpy county.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't think annexing over counties is necessary. West means we will be on the hook for incredibly expensive new sewage and street systems on the other side of the Platte River. North means land that is way to hilly to be developed in any kind or large scale way. We as a city don't need to control everything all the way to Fremont or Wahoo
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Look at it this way. It's taken omaha over 150 years to occupy about 50% of the county, speaking exponentially. I would say we have at least 50 to 100 more before we need to worry about cross-county annexation. We should be more concerned about maintaining healthy urban cores around the city and keeping our current infrastructure maintained and up to date rather than annexing several miles of urban sprawl and farmland. Additionally, city-county entity would fail as well. As mentioned a while back somewhere else by someone else, the interests of the people in the city are much different than those in the countryside.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald yesterday:
Mayor Jean Stothert has removed the Cinnamon Creek area from her proposed annexation package.
Stothert said she reconsidered that area because it would cost the city $1.2 million over a 10-year period. Cinnamon Creek, which is east of 180th and Q Streets, has 1,969 residents.
The remaining package of 16 areas would bring about 11,000 new residents into the city.

The council is scheduled to hold a public hearing on the annexation proposal July 28 and vote on it Aug. 4.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha City Council passed the annexation plan today.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

RNcyanide wrote:Look at it this way. It's taken omaha over 150 years to occupy about 50% of the county, speaking exponentially. I would say we have at least 50 to 100 more before we need to worry about cross-county annexation. We should be more concerned about maintaining healthy urban cores around the city and keeping our current infrastructure maintained and up to date rather than annexing several miles of urban sprawl and farmland. Additionally, city-county entity would fail as well. As mentioned a while back somewhere else by someone else, the interests of the people in the city are much different than those in the countryside.
Duval County in FLA (Jacksonville) has more rural area than Douglas County. It seems to be doing fine. I would rather see a condensed Police force and coordinated road service. I like the idea of a single county board rather than the two we have now.

As for western expansion, I can't believe that direct western expansion will happen very fast as the flood risk from both rivers cuts into the development of the ground (much of that area is in the 500 year flood plain of either or both rivers or the Rawhide creek. It would be more profitable to develop north and northwest and to further develop Sarpy Co. NW Douglas county has two (current and old) landfills that are going to be problematic for development, and Washington Co has set land use rules in place that make residential development somewhat problematic.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Help me out here. So with these new parts how is the city getting extra money for officers and roads in other parts of town? Would they now have to install sewers and roads in parts of this area. That is in addition to maintaining the roads, parks, police and trash service. They also said 10 new officers but for a population of 14,000 that comes to 7.1 officers per 10,000 people. The national average is 17 per 10k people. I realize that places like the Pearson mansion will be profitable but it seems like a lot of expenses are coming along with this.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Trips wrote:Help me out here. So with these new parts how is the city getting extra money for officers and roads in other parts of town? Would they now have to install sewers and roads in parts of this area. That is in addition to maintaining the roads, parks, police and trash service. They also said 10 new officers but for a population of 14,000 that comes to 7.1 officers per 10,000 people. The national average is 17 per 10k people. I realize that places like the Pearson mansion will be profitable but it seems like a lot of expenses are coming along with this.
Correct me if I am wrong, but this is covered in property taxes, right?
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

I was under the impression that the big selling point was all the extra property taxes the city would get. Wont they now have to over the SID's outstanding debt? I was wondering if they would have to bring the houses that have septic systems onto city sewer. There are also roads like 184th and 187th that are not at current city standards. I am just not seeing how they will be getting a windfall of riches by annexing these areas in the short term.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Trips wrote:I was wondering if they would have to bring the houses that have septic systems onto city sewer.
Which neighborhoods are on Septic?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Jean has already indicated she'll run for re-election... these suburban annexations will no doubt get her a considerable number of Republican voters. ;)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:
Trips wrote:I was wondering if they would have to bring the houses that have septic systems onto city sewer.
Which neighborhoods are on Septic?
I'm curious too. Most of the SIDs bordering Omaha should be tied into Omaha's sewer system in the first place.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Stargazer wrote:Jean has already indicated she'll run for re-election... these suburban annexations will no doubt get her a considerable number of Republican voters. ;)
Bingo.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

After a few spot checks, I found two ares that are not on the city sewer, SW 180 and F Street and Rolling Meadow. Both Acreage Developments.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote:After a few spot checks, I found two ares that are not on the city sewer, SW 180 and F Street and Rolling Meadow. Both Acreage Developments.
I believe the Sw 180 and F street development was one that was cut from this year's annexation. Presumably for that reason.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Louie wrote:
Brad wrote:After a few spot checks, I found two ares that are not on the city sewer, SW 180 and F Street and Rolling Meadow. Both Acreage Developments.
I believe the Sw 180 and F street development was one that was cut from this year's annexation. Presumably for that reason.
No. Cinnamon Creek was.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

For the septic I know the acreages from 180-192nd and F-Q Street are not connected to a sewer system. That seems like lot of land for sewers and new roads that could get expensive. The roads in that area are currently narrow blacktop with no curbs. Even the new Celebrity neighborhood there is going to have a lot of debt on their SID.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Would the city even connect them? I would guess they would not. Just like they wouldn't repave the roads. Then in 50 years we will see them on the news complaining that the city won't maintain their roads like 112 and Pacific.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Brad wrote:Would the city even connect them? I would guess they would not. Just like they wouldn't repave the roads. Then in 50 years we will see them on the news complaining that the city won't maintain their roads like 112 and Pacific.
There's no need to connect the acreages to the sanitary sewer system, as long as the lots are large enough to handle the leach fields for each house...typically over 1 acre, depending on the soil type, water table, etc.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.