Coyote
City Council

City of Ralston

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Re: City of Ralston

Post by Coyote »

I have heard it from a reliable source... One of the reasons Ralston has managed to keep the hand shake agreement with Omaha on staying its own municipality is because they like to keep their debt too high for Omaha to consider annexing a profitable venture. When their debt became too reasonable they decided to build the arena, and purchase equipment for the Fire Dept.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Interesting.... Though I would wonder, if their debt becomes too high for them to handle, couldn't they be risking being forced into Omaha? Even if not, Ralston really seems to be digging its own grave here.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Garrett wrote:Interesting.... Though I would wonder, if their debt becomes too high for them to handle, couldn't they be risking being forced into Omaha? Even if not, Ralston really seems to be digging its own grave here.
How could they be forced into joining Omaha? Certainly Omaha wouldn't want to annex Ralston in that situation. Most likely situation would be the city going bankrupt.

But that whole idea makes a lot of sense as to why Ralston built an arena; it's not like there was a need for yet another arena in the area.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

HskrFanMike wrote:
Garrett wrote:Interesting.... Though I would wonder, if their debt becomes too high for them to handle, couldn't they be risking being forced into Omaha? Even if not, Ralston really seems to be digging its own grave here.
How could they be forced into joining Omaha? Certainly Omaha wouldn't want to annex Ralston in that situation. Most likely situation would be the city going bankrupt.

But that whole idea makes a lot of sense as to why Ralston built an arena; it's not like there was a need for yet another arena in the area.
There are cases where a smaller, financially insolvent city has been forced to join a larger neighbor.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:I have heard it from a reliable source... One of the reasons Ralston has managed to keep the hand shake agreement with Omaha on staying its own municipality is because they like to keep their debt too high for Omaha to consider annexing a profitable venture. When their debt became too reasonable they decided to build the arena, and purchase equipment for the Fire Dept.

And here I just naturally assumed that the public officials and powers that be in Ralston wanted that arena even if it broke the city because they had behind the scene you scratch my back I'll scratch your back sweet heart deals. I figured the hot shots in Ralston were just mimicking their big brothers Omaha and Lincon. Monkey see monkey do. This scam is worked on the public tax payers in every city in the country and we all would have to be blind not to see it. But still it goes on. When the public gets hip to this scam after being burned once then they make sure the public never gets a chance to vote or decide on the project at all just like Mayor Fehey did with the new baseball stadium that sits empty most days of the year.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Coyote wrote:I have heard it from a reliable source... One of the reasons Ralston has managed to keep the hand shake agreement with Omaha on staying its own municipality is because they like to keep their debt too high for Omaha to consider annexing a profitable venture. When their debt became too reasonable they decided to build the arena, and purchase equipment for the Fire Dept.

And here I just naturally assumed that the public officials and powers that be in Ralston wanted that arena even if it broke the city because they had behind the scene you scratch my back I'll scratch your back sweet heart deals. I figured the hot shots in Ralston were just mimicking their big brothers Omaha and Lincon. Monkey see monkey do. This scam is worked on the public tax payers in every city in the country and we all would have to be blind not to see it. But still it goes on. When the public gets hip to this scam after being burned once then they make sure the public never gets a chance to vote or decide on the project at all just like Mayor Fehey did with the new baseball stadium that sits empty most days of the year.
And the alternative to that is not having a new baseball stadium that sits empty most days of the year. Of course then we'd get to watch the CWS on tv while it was played in Minneapolis or Indianapolis or any other city that would love a huge event such as that.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not sure why I find that so funny.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It's not like Ralston threatens Omaha's growth or consumes all that much territory.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Slightly related to the bankruptcy topic, look at this:

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/munic ... aults.html
The majority of filings have not been submitted by bankrupt cities, but rather lesser-known utility authorities and other narrowly-defined special districts throughout the country. In Omaha, Neb., more than a dozen sanitary districts have filed for bankruptcy, accounting for nearly a quarter of all Chapter 9 filings since 2010.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Yeah Nebraska has one of the highest municipality bankruptcy rates b/c of all the SIDs.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Yeah Nebraska has one of the highest municipality bankruptcy rates b/c of all the SIDs.
Wonder how many of those SID's were related to Benchmark and Hearthstone?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

How the Ralston Arena became a financial 'train wreck,' and dragged the city with it
Roseann Moring: World-Herald staff writer wrote: “The problem,” said Paul Landow, who teaches political science at UNO and served as a chief of staff under Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey, “is now to the point where it’s no longer a matter of ‘Can we save the arena?’ It’s a matter of ‘Can we save the town of Ralston?’ ”

In 1934, a fire destroyed half of a city block in Ralston. The damage was so expensive that the city became one of the first in the country to declare bankruptcy. Ralston paid off its debts in the 1960s. And during that decade, the suburban city reached a “gentlemen’s agreement” with Omaha: Omaha wouldn’t annex Ralston if the smaller city stayed within its defined borders.

The two sides have honored that agreement, so Ralston remained its own city even as Millard and Elkhorn were absorbed into Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Also... I have heard that Ralston has already dipped into the Keno funds... $3M in Keno funds have gone into this debt.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

In the article there was a mention of having difficulty doing business with the arena. I would love to know more about that.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The mayor of Ralstoncame and asked omaha to change a facility to benefit them. Fast forward to now and we have ice on Grover and UNOs ice to open soon. Haha.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I could see some outside help if one small group pushed this through against resident wishes, but 80 percent of Ralson voters said yes to the arena. Gotta live with the consequences folks.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Anybody remember when the mayor was comparing the Ralston arena and its old downtown area with the Clink and Old Market? Still possibly the stupidest comparison I have ever seen. This thing was doomed to fail and I think most people that weren't lining their pockets saw this.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Linkin5 wrote:Anybody remember when the mayor was comparing the Ralston arena and its old downtown area with the Clink and Old Market? Still possibly the stupidest comparison I have ever seen. This thing was doomed to fail and I think most people that weren't lining their pockets saw this.
Obviously not even close. So let's pretend that this place either goes bankrupt, or the city can't afford the financial liability any longer. What happens to it/Ralston?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

RNcyanide wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Anybody remember when the mayor was comparing the Ralston arena and its old downtown area with the Clink and Old Market? Still possibly the stupidest comparison I have ever seen. This thing was doomed to fail and I think most people that weren't lining their pockets saw this.
Obviously not even close. So let's pretend that this place either goes bankrupt, or the city can't afford the financial liability any longer. What happens to it/Ralston?
The OWH article said that before bankruptcy, the state treasurer would send in comptroller's to run the city's finances.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

And is anyone really surprised by this in the least? Most arenas/stadiums aren't profitable, and it was even more dangerous to do one in what's essentially a small town. Why the mayor would think this would have been profitable is laughable.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Garrett wrote:And is anyone really surprised by this in the least? Most arenas/stadiums aren't profitable, and it was even more dangerous to do one in what's essentially a small town. Why the mayor would think this would have been profitable is laughable.
I don't know anyone who thought that it was a good idea. Shocked it ever came to fruition.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Louie wrote:
Garrett wrote:And is anyone really surprised by this in the least? Most arenas/stadiums aren't profitable, and it was even more dangerous to do one in what's essentially a small town. Why the mayor would think this would have been profitable is laughable.
I don't know anyone who thought that it was a good idea. Shocked it ever came to fruition.
80% of the voters apparently did...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Garrett wrote:
Louie wrote:
80% of the voters apparently did...
Of Ralston? Why would they think that?!
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

I have always found the Ralston Police to be the most courteous and professional in the metro. None of them seem to have that jerk wad haircut (shaved on the side, buzz cut thing on top) they are friendly and don't seem like they are looking for trouble. I hope the nature of their police department doesn't change as the city chases new revenue streams.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Professor Woland wrote:I have always found the Ralston Police to be the most courteous and professional in the metro. None of them seem to have that jerk wad haircut (shaved on the side, buzz cut thing on top) they are friendly and don't seem like they are looking for trouble. I hope the nature of their police department doesn't change as the city chases new revenue streams.
I will say they are pretty good, must have decent leadership. Sarpy county however...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Linkin5 wrote:
Professor Woland wrote:I have always found the Ralston Police to be the most courteous and professional in the metro. None of them seem to have that jerk wad haircut (shaved on the side, buzz cut thing on top) they are friendly and don't seem like they are looking for trouble. I hope the nature of their police department doesn't change as the city chases new revenue streams.
I will say they are pretty good, must have decent leadership. Sarpy county however...
Oh god Sarpy countty...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Scuba Steve was on with Bob Bruce this past Friday and someone brought up that the suites for for 30K and going up to 35k next year. The person pointed out that the city has their own suite which the could sell and make another 35k. The same caller also brought up the lack of naming rights which could help a little too.

However now that the ship is sinking, I just don't see either happening.

I also can't think if any additional revenue streams either.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Also, are the Lancers still not paying rent down there? Imagine what a dollar or two per ticket could do to that bottom line...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Selling naming rights might be tough with the bad press around the building, they should have done it when it opened. They could do away with free parking, $5 a stall would go a long ways. Is it possible to add an "arena fee" of a buck to each ticket sold like Brad said? If you did that across the board for all events that could be a big boost. I wonder if that might go against previous contracts though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was talking to a friend that is very close to the situation. He said the biggest problem is that the very first manager made these terrible deals like with the lancers. He gave the place away and ran away 6 weeks after it opened.

He also said they did have interest in naming rights, but "they" (Ralston Arena) got too greedy.

He said the second manager booked terrible events like Bill O'Riley where the lost their |expletive|.

Then after manager number two left they had the most profitable month during the 5 weeks the police chief was running it.

He said the problem now is that they keep booking Christian Acts where they don't sell alcohol and they struggle to break even on those shows. He said this summer they had the opportunity to book a country act, but went with the Christian act that day and had no alcohol sales.

He agreed with me, they need to book all the sure bet 70's acts they can find, sell the place out and make money off the concession stands.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

At this point they need to rebrand and find a business that will pay them for naming rights, stop scheduling political/religious events, and seek out the NBA to get a D league team. If they were able to land a D league team it would be a game changer.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Hansen: Ralston Arena's spiral into financial turmoil is a familiar refrain for economists
Matthew Hansen: World-Herald columnist wrote:They also told voters that adding the arena and its debt would keep Omaha from annexing Ralston. At least this last one was accurate. The debt-laden arena virtually guarantees that Omaha won’t want Ralston for decades to come.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I guess that's a creative way to prevent annexation. Short sighted as all get out, but creative.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I don't know why the OWH is laying into Ralston so hard. The same things could be said about Pinnacle Bank Arena. Obviously Lincoln is a bigger city and the financing situation around PBA is different, I wouldn't doubt it if similar stories are printed about them in a few years.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

PBA hasn't been shown to be a massive money pit yet with shady numbers from the start and a number of eye raising happenings like the real estate company that the mayor works for being picked without a bidding process. Add in the ability to severely cripple what amounts to a small town and the talk of immense property tax raises and I think it's a relevant topic.

If CLC or PBA went south it would hurt both cities but wouldn't be a knockout blow. Ralston on the other hand will be paying consequences like dramatically less road and school funding to try and pay this building off. It is an example of overbuilding arenas which is happening nationwide.

For all Parks and Rec fans, this is Ralson's Ice Town. The different is this mayor has been in office two decades, not an 18 year old in the show.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

iamjacobm wrote:PBA hasn't been shown to be a massive money pit yet with shady numbers from the start and a number of eye raising happenings like the real estate company that the mayor works for being picked without a bidding process. Add in the ability to severely cripple what amounts to a small town and the talk of immense property tax raises and I think it's a relevant topic.

If CLC or PBA went south it would hurt both cities but wouldn't be a knockout blow. Ralston on the other hand will be paying consequences like dramatically less road and school funding to try and pay this building off. It is an example of overbuilding arenas which is happening nationwide.

For all Parks and Rec fans, this is Ralson's Ice Town. The different is this mayor has been in office two decades, not an 18 year old in the show.
Cleveland has been engaged in this type of ridiculous development for the past two decades.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

2.5% restaurant tax is passed for Ralston.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That's it. I'm never eating in Ralston again.