Omaha Annexation 2016

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Re: Omaha Annexation 2016

Post by Uffda »

OmahaFan wrote:Another question I have is why are people so afraid of being annexed by Omaha? Like every time I see Omaha about to Annex some tract of land people start getting antsy and nervous even more so since Elkhorn in 2005. I would think they would like to be part of the City since they use every service the city provides. Roadways and such.

The SID I live in was annexed a few years ago. Before the annex, we hired private contractors to take care of snow removal and mow the common areas. We also had contractors take care of garbage collection and repair streets.

Things haven't changed a whole lot -- city snow removal on all but a few streets as those - mine included - arent city standards streets, so we still hire contractors for those. Common areas became city park land and they don't get as much attention as before - the grass can get pretty long and the look like a mowed hay field once they do mow it. The streets don't get patched as fast as when the HOA watched them.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

When we were annexed last year the following happened:
1. Free city trash but it was so bad we still pay for private trash service.
2. Greenspace is not mowed as often and seems in general decline
3. Snow service has gone down a little but still acceptable.
4. Roads are the same after a year. No one will complain as we do not want what happened to 113th and Pacific happen to us.
5. Tax rate on purchases went up 1.5%
6. Home taxes went of 11%

Basically I am paying 11% more in taxes and have not had any improvements.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Trips wrote:When we were annexed last year the following happened:
1. Free city trash but it was so bad we still pay for private trash service.
2. Greenspace is not mowed as often and seems in general decline
3. Snow service has gone down a little but still acceptable.
4. Roads are the same after a year. No one will complain as we do not want what happened to 113th and Pacific happen to us.
5. Tax rate on purchases went up 1.5%
6. Home taxes went of 11%

Basically I am paying 11% more in taxes and have not had any improvements.
How is your trash pickup so bad? I have never had an issue with the City of Omaha trash pickup.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

113th and Pacific has three sections. The first was built to code, the second was built to code and the third was not. The people living in the first two don't complain because their roads get done. The people who chose to live with appalachia like roads rather than pay the cost of real roads get to also live with the consequences of their decision. Too bad for them. Sorry, but we shouldn't be risking buying new snowplow blades just because these 6 families don't seem to understand how consequences work.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

bigredmed wrote:113th and Pacific has three sections. The first was built to code, the second was built to code and the third was not. The people living in the first two don't complain because their roads get done. The people who chose to live with appalachia like roads rather than pay the cost of real roads get to also live with the consequences of their decision. Too bad for them. Sorry, but we shouldn't be risking buying new snowplow blades just because these 6 families don't seem to understand how consequences work.
I could never understand the random sections of road in the middle of town with gravel instead of pavement. The section of Underwood Ave right outside methodist college is awful with giant chuck holes all over it.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Linkin5 wrote:
How is your trash pickup so bad? I have never had an issue with the City of Omaha trash pickup.
Must be all those trash cans blowing around the neighborhood....and stuff.

Reference: http://www.ketv.com/news/mayor-stothert ... s/27514516
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

RNcyanide wrote:
bigredmed wrote:113th and Pacific has three sections. The first was built to code, the second was built to code and the third was not. The people living in the first two don't complain because their roads get done. The people who chose to live with appalachia like roads rather than pay the cost of real roads get to also live with the consequences of their decision. Too bad for them. Sorry, but we shouldn't be risking buying new snowplow blades just because these 6 families don't seem to understand how consequences work.
I could never understand the random sections of road in the middle of town with gravel instead of pavement. The section of Underwood Ave right outside methodist college is awful with giant chuck holes all over it.
The 113th street and the Westside neighborhoods are examples of SIDs that didn't want to be annexed and they figured that crappy roads would keep them from getting annexed cheaply. That the city (us) would buy them new roads as part of the annexation process. Road crews can't operate there effectively as their plows are designed for a smooth, flat surface that has a slight pitch that their blades are oriented for. Ever see one hit a cold patch? Sparks a plenty. Imagine what the blade would be like if the entire street was irregular.

The developer and the homeowners knew going in that this was not a good idea as they were told by city road engineers to not do what they did, and they did it anyway. Now they and the current homeowners are stuck.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omahans reflect on expansion from western edge of the city
KMTV wrote:Omaha is growing. This time it’s not the result of annexation. Tuesday, the Omaha city council voted to re-zone a lot northwest of 204th and F St., from agricultural to residential, a step toward building the subdivision which will be called Grandview Ridge Estates.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Coyote wrote:Omahans reflect on expansion from western edge of the city
KMTV wrote:Omaha is growing. This time it’s not the result of annexation. Tuesday, the Omaha city council voted to re-zone a lot northwest of 204th and F St., from agricultural to residential, a step toward building the subdivision which will be called Grandview Ridge Estates.
Gee let's buy a nice quiet house that backs up to 204th street? What the heck do you expect?
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Gee let's buy a nice quiet house that backs up to 204th street? What the heck do you expect?
Seriously. The fluff in that piece is too much to handle. I don't know how many times she could talk about how she likes sitting outside, in her circle, while her children play in said circle.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The earth's axial tilt shifted a few degrees from the eye roll this article made me produce.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

RNcyanide wrote:The earth's axial tilt shifted a few degrees from the eye roll this article made me produce.
I have to admit that is one heck of an eye-roll. This story was wrong on so many levels.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I am sure her husband complains about his commute too. Woe is them.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Garrett wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Seriously. The fluff in that piece is too much to handle. I don't know how many times she could talk about how she likes sitting outside, in her circle, while her children play in said circle.
I didn't realize how hard my life was until I read this article. Thanks, KMTV and Canterberry Crossing for making me feel underachieved.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

|expletive| Circles!

:no:

That wasn't very interesting. At least find someone to rant against it!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Passed by City Council.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I'm glad that the recent annexation package was passed by the City Council! It further grows Omaha in the right direction. I know who I'm voting for in the Mayoral election in 2017! At first I was apprehensive of Mayor Stothert but she has grown on me and I think she is the right choice for our city and to grow our city further. I'm wondering what her next big annexation plan is and when that will happen! Hopefully continue to fill out the western sections of the City and eventually onto much more bigger Annexation packages. Omaha needs to grow along with it Improve services for everyone the only way to do that is increase the tax base and the only way to do that is increase the size of the city. We also need to update our infrastructure as well in the city to the 21st century it will take time but we need to bring the cities Bridges, pipes etc into this century.

I'm also hoping we can attract some big companies into Omaha as well and fill the vacancy that Con Agra has left us and maybe develop the land Con Agra left into something that's useful yet beautiful to our sky line!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaFan wrote:I'm also hoping we can attract some big companies into Omaha as well and fill the vacancy that Con Agra has left us and maybe develop the land Con Agra left into something that's useful yet beautiful to our sky line!
Now this we can all agree with :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!