Omaha Annexation 2016

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Omaha Annexation 2016

Post by Coyote »

Mayor Stothert wants to annex many of the island SIDs around the metro for this year's annexation proposal. This will make the plans smaller than the past two years, but will be ready sooner, maybe by June.
Brad
City Council

Re: Omaha Annexation 2016

Post by Brad »

I thought that was the goal last year? Like that island by 60th and Harrison?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Any idea when this will be announced?

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:Any idea when this will be announced?

Greg
Looking back at last year, it was announced in early June, so it might be another month or two before it is officially released.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:I thought that was the goal last year? Like that island by 60th and Harrison?
The 60th and Harrison farm ground was annexed in 2014. GIS map shows no unincorporated parcels.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/omaha-c ... b2370.html
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

jessep28 wrote:
Brad wrote:I thought that was the goal last year? Like that island by 60th and Harrison?
The 60th and Harrison farm ground was annexed in 2014. GIS map shows no unincorporated parcels.

That is where I posted that a lot of the dirt south of Baxter is going... 60th and Harrison LLC is doing something there right now...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:

That was my point. The year they annexed that, their goal was to "remove islands" too.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

On the subject, why did Omaha annex so much land around Elkhorn? Annexing the town of Elkhorn is one thing, but so much extra land around it is another. Does anybody know? Usually, Omaha annexes a little at a time, and it never usually involves the countryside, so this "great leap" they did surprises me -- in a way. With cities like Kansas City and Indianapolis, I've seen it where a city annexes a bunch of farmland around it, but Omaha has never been that way. (I always thought because it really didn't have a threat from any other city in Douglas County...) So, I'm confused here.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I have think they annexed all that farmland around Elkhorn because Elkhorn had annexed it prior to being annexed in an attempt to prevent Omaha from annexing it. To when Omaha annexed Elkhorn, they also had to annex everything Elkhorn had previously annexed.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I have think they annexed all that farmland around Elkhorn because Elkhorn had annexed it prior to being annexed in an attempt to prevent Omaha from annexing it. To when Omaha annexed Elkhorn, they also had to annex everything Elkhorn had previously annexed.
Good use of the word annex. An 8:43 ratio! :D
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

GetUrban wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:I have think they annexed all that farmland around Elkhorn because Elkhorn had annexed it prior to being annexed in an attempt to prevent Omaha from annexing it. To when Omaha annexed Elkhorn, they also had to annex everything Elkhorn had previously annexed.
Good use of the word annex. An 8:43 ratio! :D
Right?! I felt like I was using it an insane amount of times when I was typing that. Also I typed it on my phone and now I see all the mistakes with it...oh well.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Ok, thanks for explaining that. (I'm sitting here saying "Duh..." to myself). Makes perfect sense. I guess why the "light bulb" didn't go off is because I hadn't noticed on a color-coated map that Elkhorn had annexed all that land around it. Growing up, looking at the map of Omaha, Elkhorn's city limits were small, just around the central town.

Thanks again!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

7 SIDs, should be public today
Nothing exciting
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cdub wrote:7 SIDs, should be public today
Nothing exciting
http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Seven- ... _wowt6news

www.wowt.com wrote:The areas being studied include

High Point and Adjacent area (204th Street north of West Dodge Road)
Elk Valley (near 204th Street south of West Dodge Road)
Pacific Ridge (Northwest corner of 180th and Pacific)
Dickensons Landing/Wood Creek (Southeast corner of 180th and F Streets)
Western Oaks and the adjacent area (West of 168th Street on Harrison Street)
Falcon Ridge (Northwest corner of 180th and Harrison Streets)
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The attached map says the population of the annexed areas as of 2010 is a hair over 6000, so add that to our 2014 estimate of 446000 and that puts us up to 452000 - even with Virginia Beach, VA.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RNcyanide wrote:The attached map says the population of the annexed areas as of 2010 is a hair over 6000, so add that to our 2014 estimate of 446000 and that puts us up to 452000 - even with Virginia Beach, VA.
Yes, but the population estimates were revised in 2015. The 2015 estimate was 443,885.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (117.84 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

More Republicans
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Stargazer wrote:More Republicans
These seem pretty reasonable annexation targets to this NonPartisan.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Stargazer wrote:More Republicans
:lol:
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

As I was reading the World Herald I came across that Omaha is wanting to Annex once again! I find this very intriguing and I also find it exciting as well! Omaha is once again growing and I support our mayor's aggressive annexation plan. I'm wondering why they are gobbling up these tiny SID's though ( Island's) instead of doing bigger annexations and gaining more? In fact I'm wondering if anyone in the state legislature is writing anything ( Law wise) regrading Omaha's eventual growth Westward including Annexing into other counties which I think would be quite far away, but it needs to be considered now and be dealt with now. Without further Growth westward Omaha will only suffer.

I would like your opinions on my question's about annexing into other counties Such as Saunder's County and Possibly into Sarpy county as well possibly. Sarpy is probably more unlikely since that seems to be Bellevue's area of Focus.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

We typically don't annex large swaths of land. Just developed SIDs that have their debt low enough for a net gain from property taxes. The only time in the recent past that we did a big annexation was Elkhorn and that was mainly to make sure they didn't cross the threshold to where we could no longer do so (I think it's 10000).

As for bills to allow us to annex into other counties - it's been proposed in the past but shot down. But we still have a lot of room to go in northern Douglas County.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Thank you for responding to my post! I understand why Omaha Annex's SID's with low Debt only makes sense to do that! As for large Annexation's I understand that Omaha only annexed Elkhorn to prevent it from impeding Omaha but I'm sorta concerned about Valley in the Northern reaches not so much Waterloo , Venice or Beinnington. Also yes we do have the entire northern section to get but we should at least be debating on annexing across county lines Saunders the key candidate I can't see us going into Wasington or Sarpy County. Maybe I'm just a aggressive pro Annexer! Haha
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

OmahaFan wrote:Thank you for responding to my post! I understand why Omaha Annex's SID's with low Debt only makes sense to do that! As for large Annexation's I understand that Omaha only annexed Elkhorn to prevent it from impeding Omaha but I'm sorta concerned about Valley in the Northern reaches not so much Waterloo , Venice or Beinnington. Also yes we do have the entire northern section to get but we should at least be debating on annexing across county lines Saunders the key candidate I can't see us going into Wasington or Sarpy County. Maybe I'm just a aggressive pro Annexer! Haha
State law prohibits Omaha from annexing across county lines. That is why Sarpy Co exists. It was divided from Douglas Co to keep Omaha from annexing Bellevue after it took over South Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bigredmed wrote:It was divided from Douglas Co to keep Omaha from annexing Bellevue after it took over South Omaha.
You sure? I'v never heard that before... Sarpy county has been around since 1857, isn't that about 100 years before annexation became an issue?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:
bigredmed wrote:It was divided from Douglas Co to keep Omaha from annexing Bellevue after it took over South Omaha.
You sure? I'v never heard that before... Sarpy county has been around since 1857, isn't that about 100 years before annexation became an issue?
That may be, but in my Neb History class, it was discussed that the concern about Bellevue being sucked up by Omaha (who at that time was seen as even more dark and vile than rural Nebraskans see us today) caused this law to be passed.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

OmahaFan wrote:Thank you for responding to my post! I understand why Omaha Annex's SID's with low Debt only makes sense to do that! As for large Annexation's I understand that Omaha only annexed Elkhorn to prevent it from impeding Omaha but I'm sorta concerned about Valley in the Northern reaches not so much Waterloo , Venice or Beinnington. Also yes we do have the entire northern section to get but we should at least be debating on annexing across county lines Saunders the key candidate I can't see us going into Wasington or Sarpy County. Maybe I'm just a aggressive pro Annexer! Haha
Welcome to the forum! I'll have some of what you're having. :;):

Now then, I've heard before the Douglas and Sarpy were once one county, but split up. Not sure about the annexing part. And I doubt Omaha will ever get permission to annex beyond Douglas county, though I suppose there are a few scenarios where I could see it happening. Still, it will be a very long time before it fills out Douglas county anyway. Hopefully by that point we'll have changed to a more urban focused MO.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I never heard that Sarpy and Douglas was once one County. If anyone could give me any more information on why they created 2 different counties instead of one big county that would be great. I know there was some information above it. As for annexing in Douglas county I do agree we have a long way to go before Omaha fills out Douglas county I would give it probably 20 to 30 years of steady annexation to fill it out maybe even less. I'm not with the city planning department but focusing on Urban living would be key to keeping the heart of Omaha from decaying like you see in Detroit or elsewhere. Omaha has actually been doing quite well in addressing rebuilding Downtown and using the space wisely in my opinion. I especially like how they are redoing certain areas of Omaha such as Dundee, and the south 13th St corridor. Our future though like the pioneers who founded this city is out west.

My hope is someday Omaha can become a world class city like New York. We also need to diversity Omaha's economy and star reeling in some big companies again. I'm upset just like many of you probably on Con agra of just leaving us like they did. ( Different Topic) lol

PS: Thank you for welcoming me to the Forum! =)
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Why do they always act like they are adding more police officers and these new areas are covering all the costs? With this latest addition of 6,000+ residents they are adding 9 officers. If Omaha wanted to keep their 1,000 to 1.9 officer ratio they would need 11.4 officers just to cover the new area. They seem to always make it seem like Omaha is lowering the ratio when it is actually increasing.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

It's probably going to be much more than 30 years for us to fill out Douglas County. It goes all the way to Dutch Hall Road to the north and the Platte River to the west.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Well 30 years is a modest guess I do admit that. I do wonder though how Valley's population would filter into Omaha's Annexing plans. They are the only city within Douglas that could get 10,000 resident's possibly. Though right now they are around (2013 Est 2,000 people). I would imagine they can grow quite a bit within the next 10 to 20 years and hit maybe 10,000? Idk I think I'm overthinking this!

Also I know this is a Omaha Forum but what't your thought's on Bellevue and it's growth plans. I'm just wondering why they haven't annexed La vista or any other nearby towns such as a Papillon?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

OmahaFan wrote:Also I know this is a Omaha Forum but what't your thought's on Bellevue and it's growth plans. I'm just wondering why they haven't annexed La vista or any other nearby towns such as a Papillon?
Both Papillion and La Vista are over 10,000.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I did not realize they were already over the 10,000 population mark. Well shucks Bellevue is boxed in. So what would be needed for Bellevue to Annex those towns I'm assuming a vote of some sort?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Only Omaha has the ability to annex cities with less than 10,000 people. For Lincoln it's like 900. For all others there's some other process.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OmahaFan wrote:I never heard that Sarpy and Douglas was once one County. If anyone could give me any more information on why they created 2 different counties instead of one big county that would be great.
In the fall of 1854, Nebraska City, Plattsmouth, Bellevue and Omaha made claims for the territorial Capital and was going to Bellevue until the acting Govenor asked for 100 acres donation, which they refused, so Omaha became the first Capital. In November of 1854 Douglas County was defined with two election precincts, Bellevue and Omaha. In the Spring of 1856 the Sarpy County area became a separate election district, and on Feb 1, 1857 became its own County by the Legislative Assembly of Nebraska, and Bellevue became the County Seat.

So there was a rivalry between the cities of Omaha and Bellevue, but it was not based on bad reputations acquired later.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

FWIW:
Supreme Court of Nebraska. October 12, 1966. Lee L. BARTON et al., Appellees, v. The CITY OF OMAHA, a Municipal Corporation of the Metropolitan Class, et al., Appellants. No. 36202. wrote:The issue is whether the City of Omaha is empowered by statute to annex territory located in a foreign county. The district court found against the power. It permanently enjoined the city from enforcing an ordinance that in form annexed land in an adjoining county. The city has appealed.

In 1915 the city, which is located entirely in Douglas County, established its southernmost limit at the north boundary of Sarpy County. One hundred six annexations subsequently occurred. The city is now attempting to annex a contiguous tract of 152.55 acres in Sarpy County. The tract, which is unincorporated, contains multiplefamily houses, 502 single-family houses, a small shopping center, and an estimated population of 1,960. Housing developments in Sarpy County adjacent to the city existed as early as 1925; yet until now the city asserted no jurisdiction respecting platting, zoning, or annexation.

The annexation statute provides in part as follows: "* * * any metropolitan city may at any time extend the corporate limits * * * over any lands, * * * such distance as may be deemed proper in any direction, and may include, * * * with such metropolitan city, by such extension * * *, any adjoining city of the first class having less than 10,000 population or any adjoining city of the second class or village; Provided, that any other laws and limitations defining the boundaries of cities or villages or the increase of area or extension of limits thereof, shall not apply to * * * lands, cities or villages annexed, * * * under this section. This grant of power shall not be construed as conferring power upon the council to extend the limits of a metropolitan city over any agricultural lands which are rural in character." Section 14-117, R.R.S.1943.

From 1887 to 1905 the Legislature empowered the City of Omaha upon a population increase of 20,000 to extend the corporate limits "such distance as may be *446 deemed proper in any direction not exceeding one mile." Laws 1887, c. 10, s. 3, p. 106; Laws 1905, c. 14, s. 2, p. 69. The present statute was enacted in 1917 and reenacted in 1921.

County lines are not always barriers. A village situated in more than one county may be incorporated, and it may annex territory in still another county. Sections 17-220 and 17-406, R.R.S. 1943. A metropolitan city may extend its limits to include villages. The power over land in a foreign county is clear enough, unless other statutes create ambiguity.

We find no authority for the City of Omaha holding an election in Sarpy County. The election commissioner of Douglas County is the chief election officer of the city, but he is not in charge of municipal elections in Sarpy County. See, sections 32-201, 32-210, 32-226, and 32-492, R.R.S. 1943.

The situation of the city contrasts with that of the Metropolitan Utilities District under statutes that were also enacted in 1921. The district may extend its service beyond the city "so as to include adjacent territory * * *, even though the same be in an adjoining county or counties, * * *." Section 18-410, R.R.S.1943. At district elections the election commissioner of Douglas County receives abstracts of votes from the clerks of adjoining counties. He issues certificates of election. Section 14-1004, R.R.S.1943. To read such a procedure into the statutes governing metropolitan cities is possible but injudicious.

Power over platting as well as annexation appeared in the 1921 act. It was restricted by this clause: "* * * when such real estate is located in the same county as such metropolitan city * * *." Laws 1921, c. 116, Art. I, s. 15, p. 411. The clause was amended in 1961 to read as follows: "* * * when such real estate is located in any county in which a city of the metropolitan class is located, * * *." Section 14-116, R.R.S.1943. The amendment probably made no change in substance. The title limited the subject to municipal authority over real estate "within the same county as such city." Laws 1961, c. 29, p. 144.

Control over platting is intended to promote orderly development of lands that may be annexed subsequently. County of Norfolk v. City of Portsmouth, 186 Va. 1032, 45 S.E.2d 136; cf. Schlientz v. City of North Platte, 172 Neb. 477, 110 N.W.2d 58. Villages, which may annex territory in adjoining counties, possess no wide power over platting. Municipal approval is required only if the land lies within ½ mile in the same county. Sections 17-1002 and 17-1003, R.R.S.1943. Public policy not being clear-cut, the analogy has slight value.

The asserted power of annexation would create difficulties. For example the 1921 act specifies "the county" in reference to certain appeals, duties of the mayor, jurisdiction of the chief of police, certification of the levy, and compensation for services of the county treasurer, who is ex officio city treasurer. Sections 14-548, 14-221, 14-603, 14-514, 14-554, and 14-551, R.R.S.1943.

The past failure of the city to assert its powers of planning is significant under the circumstances. "Authority actually granted * * * of course cannot evaporate through lack of * * * exercise. But just as established practice may shed light on the extent of power conveyed by general statutory language, so the want of assertion of power of those who presumably would be alert to exercise it, is equally significant in determining whether such power was actually conferred." Federal Trade Commission v. Bunte Bros., Inc., 312 U.S. 349, 61 S. Ct. 580, 85 L. Ed. 881. See, also, In re West New York, 25 N.J. 377, 136 A.2d 654.

The degree of ambiguity in the annexation statute draws the past position of the city into the process of statutory construction. Arguments directed to desirable *447 legislative policy must yield, for the power of annexation is construed strictly. Wagner v. City of Omaha, 156 Neb. 163, 55 N.W.2d 490. The district court interpreted the statute correctly.

The judgment is affirmed.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Very interesting history behind everything regarding annexation and Omaha itself. Thank you for all the Information that you guys have given me! I just find it odd though they Split Douglas in 2 then again it was 1854.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Another question I have is why are people so afraid of being annexed by Omaha? Like every time I see Omaha about to Annex some tract of land people start getting antsy and nervous even more so since Elkhorn in 2005. I would think they would like to be part of the City since they use every service the city provides. Roadways and such.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OmahaFan wrote:Another question I have is why are people so afraid of being annexed by Omaha? Like every time I see Omaha about to Annex some tract of land people start getting antsy and nervous even more so since Elkhorn in 2005. I would think they would like to be part of the City since they use every service the city provides. Roadways and such.
Neighbors living in SID’s (Sanitary Improvement Districts) provide their own governing boards and tax revenue for their own services such as garbage collection, street repair, and snow removal. They will lose local control of their services and are at the mercy of the city as to how soon these services would be provided.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Most SID's that I know of just have the county cover snow removal. Not really that different from a service standpoint than the city.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum