2016 NRD Bond Issue

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

2016 NRD Bond Issue

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I went to the polls today to see about getting a wall built. Also on the ballot was the NRD trying to raise money so they could build some more dams. No way am I going to vote yes for more dams so they can raise taxes and waste more money. They do a lousy job of taking care of the dam sites we have already we sure dont need anymore for them to neglect. Somehow I have a feeling that this bond issue will get passed despite my no vote. People are suckers. I wonder how many real estate developers have secret deals that leave them owning prime land by these new dam sites. Bah humbug we got enough dam sites besides I live on hill so I aint got no flooding worries why should I have to pay for the dummies who buy in flood prone areas?
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: 2016 NRD Bond Issue

Post by jessep28 »

NRD wants to get reservoirs built before the land is developed. Army Corps of Engineers have recommended 21 flood control dams. Less than half have been built.

http://www.papionrd.org/flood-control/i ... re-before/
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Failed by a very slim margin.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

They'll have to try again after we have another one of those 8"-10", "100 year" rains that we seem to be getting every 5 years now.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

I voted for the first time ever and it was for this issue. For the extra $15/year I would have got that much use out of the parks and quality of life increase. Seeing the dam site on 186th and Harrison get turned into housing got me out to vote.
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:They do a lousy job of taking care of the dam sites we have already we sure dont need anymore for them to neglect
I run around the trails around Zorinsky, Cunningham, Walnut Creek, Prairie Queen and Chalco three or four times a week. They are all in great shape as far as I can tell. If anything Zorinsky needs more or larger trails as they are so popular that it gets busy. What dam sites are neglected? On a side note I believe the cities maintain the areas around the lake.
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I wonder how many real estate developers have secret deals that leave them owning prime land by these new dam sites.
I know two sites on Giles are either not for sale or are still available. Developers do not own that land as it has been in the same families for many years. Make them an offer if you want.
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I live on hill so I aint got no flooding worries why should I have to pay for the dummies who buy in flood prone areas?
My car is parked in the garage so "I aint got no worries" about hail damage but my insurance would still go up. Flooding not only causes damage to homes but other things you might use like roads.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its either pay now for a new dam site, or pay later when everyone wants to get bailed out after a giant rain. Why people built in flood prone areas over the past 100 years I will never know. But I would rather pay for a new dam now than help clean up a mess later.

I voted yes, but that doesn't matter now since it failed. I wish there would have been more pro-dam information in the media, but everyone is too focused on the worst presidential election in our lifetime...

I think dam sites provide way more than just flood control. They are a great asset to the community as a whole.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree, they are a great asset to the community. They provide flood protection as well as recreational activities. I think one thing that hurt them was the though of how much money is spent and if the funds are being used properly.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I voted early by mail like have have for the last ten years or so. This gives me the advantaging of being able to look at the information out on the topics on the ballot while voting. I was surprised how little I cold find on this ballot issue the week before the election date.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:Its either pay now for a new dam site, or pay later when everyone wants to get bailed out after a giant rain. Why people built in flood prone areas over the past 100 years I will never know. But I would rather pay for a new dam now than help clean up a mess later.

I voted yes, but that doesn't matter now since it failed. I wish there would have been more pro-dam information in the media, but everyone is too focused on the worst presidential election in our lifetime...

I think dam sites provide way more than just flood control. They are a great asset to the community as a whole.
Building in flood prone areas should be made justifiably expensive by simply not offering flood insurance to anyone in the 50 year flood plain and eliminating all subsidies for it for anyone in the 100 year flood plain.

The NRD has done a bad job of controlling its expenditures and of avoiding the image they now have as the developer's |expletive|. Build the lake, and then the developers buy up all the land with a decent view of the lake that we all paid for so they can build zillion dollar houses and basically turn a public resource into a private development.

The NRD also has not built any deep water lakes so boating and big fish oriented fishing people still have to go elsewhere. If you have to drive to Yankton to go skiing, or drive to Lake of the Ozarks to run a fast boat in clean water (thus not the Missouri), you are going to not be a fan of the NRD. All the people who can afford this type of activity are also able to influence elections. No connection to the NRD means No influencing their elections.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

bigredmed wrote:
Brad wrote:Its either pay now for a new dam site, or pay later when everyone wants to get bailed out after a giant rain. Why people built in flood prone areas over the past 100 years I will never know. But I would rather pay for a new dam now than help clean up a mess later.

Building in flood prone areas should be made justifiably expensive by simply not offering flood insurance to anyone in the 50 year flood plain and eliminating all subsidies for it for anyone in the 100 year flood plain.

The NRD has done a bad job of controlling its expenditures and of avoiding the image they now have as the developer's |expletive|. Build the lake, and then the developers buy up all the land with a decent view of the lake that we all paid for so they can build zillion dollar houses and basically turn a public resource into a private development.

The NRD also has not built any deep water lakes so boating and big fish oriented fishing people still have to go elsewhere. If you have to drive to Yankton to go skiing, or drive to Lake of the Ozarks to run a fast boat in clean water (thus not the Missouri), you are going to not be a fan of the NRD. All the people who can afford this type of activity are also able to influence elections. No connection to the NRD means No influencing their elections.
Since they are basically just damming on one end and letting the valley fill up they can't really control how deep or boat capable the lake is. They would have to spend quite a far amount of money to dredge to it those specifications. That being said, I'm all for it. Most of the lakes in the Omaha city limits are kinda just for show inside of a larger park...at least for my interests.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Definitely expensive, but a mainstem damn on west or big Papio would afford the water to create a deep water lake in Washington Co.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A big lake for recreational boating would be a huge asset for the region.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:A big lake for recreational boating would be a huge asset for the region.
And long overdue!

Last time I did any kind of boating around here, it was on Branched Oak north of Lincoln.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

What is the latest on the Washignton CO lake, south of Kennard? I can't imagine another possible site...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:What is the latest on the Washignton CO lake, south of Kennard? I can't imagine another possible site...
Not even on the map...
http://www.papionrd.org/wp-content/uplo ... POSTER.pdf
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:What is the latest on the Washignton CO lake, south of Kennard? I can't imagine another possible site...
Not even on the map...
Wow. Wasn't this on top of the priority list like yesterday?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:
Not even on the map...
Wow. Wasn't this on top of the priority list like yesterday?
Yeah, but if I remember right I am about 99% sure the residents of Washington County told them to get lost. We should have it in an old thread on here, I just haven't looked yet.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Wash co. hates dams, and the NRD. If they had something there they likely voted it out or forced the NRD to delete it. Those fools are the reason the NRD struggles to do what they are working toward.

As for boating... LAKE LINOMA! (Sorry Ashland)
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

cdub wrote:Wash co. hates dams, and the NRD. If they had something there they likely voted it out or forced the NRD to delete it. Those fools are the reason the NRD struggles to do what they are working toward.

As for boating... LAKE LINOMA! (Sorry Ashland)
Washington Co hates dams that will blow away Kenard. One could go upstream and build closer to Blair/Orem and have deep valleys with the big Papio and early tributaries to build a deep water dam.

I imagine, that would be more acceptable.