Closed Door Douglas county meeting

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Closed Door Douglas county meeting

Post by OmahaFan »

I was reading a interesting article about the Sheriff , City Police chief and the Douglas county board going into a closed door meeting. Here is the article from the Omaha world herald. I'm wondering what your guys opinion on this and could this be a sign of the city and the county moving closer to a Merger?

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/closed- ... 37eb6.html

PS: Hopefully I'm creating this article in the right area.
Last edited by OmahaFan on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett
Planning Board

Re: Closed Door Douglas county meeting

Post by Garrett »

The City and County are incredibly unlikely to merge anytime soon. That would be completely against Omaha's annexation philosophy.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I agree with your assessment of the situation my understanding from this article was possibly due to the crime lab the Mayor wants to create at UNMC and well I understand where Douglas county is coming from since they just created a brand new facility but then again there reputation is still in question after the Kofed incident. Personally I think maybe we should have a independent crime lab at UNMC. I also think they should start studying the possibility of merging the Sheriff and the City police department.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Garrett wrote:The City and County are incredibly unlikely to merge anytime soon. That would be completely against Omaha's annexation philosophy.
Annexation philosophy is low on the list of any merger discussions. It will come down to money and jobs, particularly those of the two boards that presently lead the two organizations.