Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Post by OmahaOmaha »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Wanting an NFL team in Omaha is pretty much the only reason you need to vote against Taylor Royal. The numbers are too clear, no city benefits from such a waste.

Sure you are right........but a pro NFL team sounds about 300 times more fun then a stupid streetcar in the wrong end of town.
If I'm not mistaken, when Rob McCartney interviewed Taylor on KETV's Kaleidescope, he said he wanted the new NFL stadium downtown northeast of TD Ameritrade....in what you call "the wrong end of town." He didn't say how he would pay the Billion dollar cost NFL stadiums are running now-a-days to build. Good luck selling-out tickets for the games in Omaha.

No we don't want that stadium downtown. It should be built at South Port or even at the Mahoney State Park exit. The bigger problem would be that we need an indoor arena and then it would be 10 times nicer that the Clink and then they would have to cook up a reason to tear down the Clink like they did the Civic. Vegas just reeled in the Raiders today and with some Buffet or Rickets money we could be reeling in the Jaguars next.
The Jaguars have been sucking money out of Jacksonville for years now. Taxpayers have had to shell out over a 100 million for stadium renovations in recent years, including 26 million for new scoreboards which cost the city over a million dollars a year to operate, and any advertising revenue from the new scoreboards goes 100 percent to the Jaguars. This year, the Jaguars are going to play four of their home games in London. In a recent "state of the franchise" press conference, they brought up just how many teams have gotten new stadiums since the Jaguars team was started. They basically hinted that they'll be asking for a new stadium soon. The city will have to give them what they want or they'll leave town. The people of Jacksonville are so fed up with the Jaguars, I think most people would say move, just like the voters in San Diego. There's absolutely no way the Jaguars, or any other team, would move do Omaha....or Des Moines.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

If there any context behind the SimCity joke? Right now I just take it as a jab that Royal could play mayor on a computer for far cheaper.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

OmahaOmaha wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Wanting an NFL team in Omaha is pretty much the only reason you need to vote against Taylor Royal. The numbers are too clear, no city benefits from such a waste.

Sure you are right........but a pro NFL team sounds about 300 times more fun then a stupid streetcar in the wrong end of town.
If I'm not mistaken, when Rob McCartney interviewed Taylor on KETV's Kaleidescope, he said he wanted the new NFL stadium downtown northeast of TD Ameritrade....in what you call "the wrong end of town." He didn't say how he would pay the Billion dollar cost NFL stadiums are running now-a-days to build. Good luck selling-out tickets for the games in Omaha.

No we don't want that stadium downtown. It should be built at South Port or even at the Mahoney State Park exit. The bigger problem would be that we need an indoor arena and then it would be 10 times nicer that the Clink and then they would have to cook up a reason to tear down the Clink like they did the Civic. Vegas just reeled in the Raiders today and with some Buffet or Rickets money we could be reeling in the Jaguars next.
The Jaguars have been sucking money out of Jacksonville for years now. Taxpayers have had to shell out over a 100 million for stadium renovations in recent years, including 26 million for new scoreboards which cost the city over a million dollars a year to operate, and any advertising revenue from the new scoreboards goes 100 percent to the Jaguars. This year, the Jaguars are going to play four of their home games in London. In a recent "state of the franchise" press conference, they brought up just how many teams have gotten new stadiums since the Jaguars team was started. They basically hinted that they'll be asking for a new stadium soon. The city will have to give them what they want or they'll leave town. The people of Jacksonville are so fed up with the Jaguars, I think most people would say move, just like the voters in San Diego. There's absolutely no way the Jaguars, or any other team, would move do Omaha....or Des Moines.
Let's not forget that the citizens of Las Vegas are going to be shelling out $750 million to help build this stadium for the billionaire owners and multi billion dollar league... talk about corporate welfare.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This Taylor kid has no chance really.. Although his father helped pony up $150,000 to expose Omahans to his TV ad campaign..

The actual mayoral race will be, imo, a close call between Jean and Mello.. the primary coming up April 4th will set the table for that...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Personally Taylor's idea's are little too much for Omaha right now. Sound's like a nice guy and I respect his vision of Omaha but we don't have the ability as of right now to attract that type of talent to Omaha and keep it here. We are a city of 500,000 resident's we would need a city of a Million to start considering something as big as a NFL stadium. I personally favor Jean Stothert and I think Mello is playing dirty tricks to get votes.

I do wanna clarify I do agree with some of his idea's but the NFL stadium is not one.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The NFL is just an attention geter. IT works too because half of the conversation I hear about him start with the NFL idea.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

This is getting interesting too.

Schmaderer, Omaha police union say Sheriff Dunning was unprofessional in anti-Stothert TV ad

http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/city ... 931ca.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Stothert must have really done something to upset Dunning off.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Police Chief Schmaderer and Sheriff Dunning got no say in who we vote for what so ever. We vote for who ever the Russians brainwash us to vote for! :lafcry:
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

If there is one thing about Stothert, it's that she can't be bought. She also has gotten backing from state and city notorieties, albeit they are known Republicans and it's their duty to back fellow Republicans running for office. In contrast, Mello has people from outside Nebraska coming in to campaign for him (Bernie Sanders, governor of Maryland, mayor of Baltimore). What on Earth do these people have to do with Omaha???? I know it's tough to find Democrats in Nebraska but it can't be that hard to track down some old and current Dems with Nebraska ties.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

choke wrote:If there is one thing about Stothert, it's that she can't be bought. She also has gotten backing from state and city notorieties, albeit they are known Republicans and it's their duty to back fellow Republicans running for office. In contrast, Mello has people from outside Nebraska coming in to campaign for him (Bernie Sanders, governor of Maryland, mayor of Baltimore). What on Earth do these people have to do with Omaha???? I know it's tough to find Democrats in Nebraska but it can't be that hard to track down some old and current Dems with Nebraska ties.
I am a Republican and I can't stand Nebraska Senator Benedict Sasse. Anybody that Benedict Sasse is for is surely someone I don't want to see in public office. Sasse is an embarrassment for Nebraska and Senator Deb Fisher is not much better. The only thing I want to hear from either one of our Republican Senators is that they are retiring. Its too early to say for sure but I dont think Im going to like Don Bacon one bit either. I like Bernie!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

choke wrote:If there is one thing about Stothert, it's that she can't be bought. She also has gotten backing from state and city notorieties, albeit they are known Republicans and it's their duty to back fellow Republicans running for office. In contrast, Mello has people from outside Nebraska coming in to campaign for him (Bernie Sanders, governor of Maryland, mayor of Baltimore). What on Earth do these people have to do with Omaha???? I know it's tough to find Democrats in Nebraska but it can't be that hard to track down some old and current Dems with Nebraska ties.
All those party people are going to want him to give them stuff out of our pockets.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
I am a Republican and I can't stand Nebraska Senator Benedict Sasse. Anybody that Benedict Sasse is for is surely someone I don't want to see in public office. Sasse is an embarrassment for Nebraska and Senator Deb Fisher is not much better. The only thing I want to hear from either one of our Republican Senators is that they are retiring. Its too early to say for sure but I dont think Im going to like Don Bacon one bit either. I like Bernie!
I'm not too enamored with Fisher or Bacon. Sasse seems pretty reasonable except I thought it was a mistake to pull out of the Ag committee. Hello, Nebraska is an agricultural state.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

If I were on the fence before, Grandpa Gulag showing up from Vermont to campaign for Mello would put me firmly in the Stothert camp.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Who is Taylor Royal's daddy, and why does he have so much coin to toss around?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Who is Taylor Royal's daddy, and why does he have so much coin to toss around?
This article doesn't say who he is, but does say how much daddy has thrown into his sons mayoral campaign:

"A quarter of a million dollars: $240,000 to be exact.

If you’re Taylor Royal, that’s the good news—it’s the amount his dad has shelled out, so far, to help his son win the Omaha Mayor’s race. And without that cash-turned-into-TV commercials few would be mentioning Royal’s name."...

The link:

http://ncn21.com/state-news/dads-royal- ... yors-race/

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:Who is Taylor Royal's daddy, and why does he have so much coin to toss around?
This article doesn't say who he is, but does say how much daddy has thrown into his sons mayoral campaign:

"A quarter of a million dollars: $240,000 to be exact.

If you’re Taylor Royal, that’s the good news—it’s the amount his dad has shelled out, so far, to help his son win the Omaha Mayor’s race. And without that cash-turned-into-TV commercials few would be mentioning Royal’s name."...

The link:

http://ncn21.com/state-news/dads-royal- ... yors-race/

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think this is more appropriate for Taylor:
Attachments
bud_light.jpg
bud_light.jpg (178.99 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

He is a financial planner with Northwestern Mutual Life. Here is his web site.

http://www.scottroyal.com/

Looks like he runs the Omaha office. Most insurance offices like his get rich running what is often called the "Churn and Burn." He gets a steady flow of new agents through his office who are working solely on commission and when they fail out every renewal and client the agents had become his.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Professor Woland wrote:If I were on the fence before, Grandpa Gulag showing up from Vermont to campaign for Mello would put me firmly in the Stothert camp.
National party types put me off. They never come for free.

When they have no local connection, you can bet that some kind of quid pro quo is going on.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I went and voted over lunch today. There was only 1 other person voting besides myself. I voted for Taylor Royal. I know he has no chance but he deserves a vote for getting it right. Taylor is right about the streetcar being an expensive stupid idea. Taylor is right about it be the totally bogus that Stothert and Mello support Omaha being a Sanctuary City. Taylor is right about the restaurant tax needing to be ended. Taylor is right about Stothert and Mello being anti Trump which could cost us big time money if Trumps infrastructure plan goes through. I voted for Stothert for the Millard Schoolboard for years and for city council and for mayor and I think shes the best mayor we had in years. But she has sold out and I wish her well in retirement. I will be voting for Mello next month.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I see a certain someone is running for city council in the 3rd district...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Garrett wrote:I see a certain someone is running for city council in the 3rd district...
Looks like he might get on the final ballot too.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Garrett wrote:I see a certain someone is running for city council in the 3rd district...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (47.75 KiB) Viewed 5018 times
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I'm surprised that Mort Sullivan didn't make another run for office.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

jessep28 wrote:I'm surprised that Mort Sullivan didn't make another run for office.
I saw his name earlier in the year. I wonder if he dropped out.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Man....... Stothert did even worse then I thought she would. After all the name recognition and superior campaign war chest Stothert was only able to win a couple thousand more votes then Mello. You take the 10% of the voters for Taylor Royal and add them on to Mello and hes the next mayor. :yes: We all loved Mayor Jean so why did she screw it all up?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Combine the war criminal Democrats (people who would vote for a war criminal just because they were Democrats) and people mad at her for not letting them reach deeper and deeper into the city's revenue, this is about what you should expect.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

War criminal Democrats? :roll: :koko:
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

HR Paperstacks wrote:War criminal Democrats? :roll: :koko:
As above, people who vote parties. In this case the Bloc that would vote for a war criminal as long as there was a little D after their name. To wit the Dem primary where instead of Sanders, people voted for Hillary despite all of her shady baggage.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

bigredmed wrote:
As above, people who vote parties. In this case the Bloc that would vote for a war criminal as long as there was a little D after their name. To wit the Dem primary where instead of Sanders, people voted for Hillary despite all of her shady baggage.
That tends to happen when you're forced to choose between an elitist government animal and tax-dodging Donald 'Just grab em by the pussy' Trump and no other real alternative. To me it was like trying to sell me on drinking Clorox or drinking gasoline.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Man....... Stothert did even worse then I thought she would. After all the name recognition and superior campaign war chest Stothert was only able to win a couple thousand more votes then Mello. You take the 10% of the voters for Taylor Royal and add them on to Mello and hes the next mayor. :yes: We all loved Mayor Jean so why did she screw it all up?
Yes surely since she didn't get the vote of every eligible adult in city limits during a PRIMARY ELECTION means she is going to fail. I suppose you bill yourself as a modern day Nostradamus. Voter turnout was projected at 23 percent for this election, or 65,000 voters. She'll more than likely continue to make your head burn by not endorsing the Оранжевый олигарх for another four years.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

bigredmed wrote:
You say that as if Republicans don't do the same...
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
You say that as if Republicans don't do the same...
I'm a Republican and when I hear the words war criminal and president spoken together the first thing that comes to my mind is George Bush and Dirty Dick Chenney! One of the main reasons Republicans ran Jeb Bush out of town in the presidential primary was because his brother was a war criminal!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:when I hear the words war criminal and president spoken together the first thing that comes to my mind is George Bush and Dirty Dick Chenney!
That's exactly what I had in mind when I wrote that. The hypocrisy and ignorance of some people is just ridiculous. People need to learn to not be so partisan and complain so much about things one "side" does when the other is likely just as bad.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

So there are a good amount of voters in West O that either don't care for Stothert or want an NFL team. What does that mean in the General? They didn't vote for Mello but couldn't stomach voting for Stothert. 5000 votes up for grabs. Unless they write in "Taylor."
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I predict it will come down to more of a party-line vote, much like the way most republicans ended-up voting for Trump even while they cringed.
But Mello has a really good chance, since Dems still outnumber Repubs in Omaha, I believe.

Her refusal to vote for Trump might even pull in a few Dems who are on the fence, but maybe not after we go through the next few weeks of campaigning. She might shift right and try to appeal more to Trump voters, rather than depend on picking up Dems.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

KETV Channel 7, tonight at 10:00, will have an expose on D'Shawn Cunningham and his 'criminal background and troubled past'
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GetUrban wrote:I predict it will come down to more of a party-line vote, much like the way most republicans ended-up voting for Trump even while they cringed.
But Mello has a really good chance, since Dems still outnumber Repubs in Omaha, I believe.

Her refusal to vote for Trump might even pull in a few Dems who are on the fence, but maybe not after we go through the next few weeks of campaigning. She might shift right and try to appeal more to Trump voters, rather than depend on picking up Dems.
I don't think it bodes well for Stothert that the majority of "Taylor" votes came from West Omaha. I thought Stothert had this election in the bag. I was wrong.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:KETV Channel 7, tonight at 10:00, will have an expose on D'Shawn Cunningham and his 'criminal background and troubled past'
Lol, uh oh.