2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Post by nebugeater »

I probably should know this but why do City Elections for Counsel and Mayor In Omaha, and Lincoln for that matter, not follow the traditional elections cycle. This should be part of the normal Nov elections cycle.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

nebugeater wrote:I probably should know this but why do City Elections for Counsel and Mayor In Omaha, and Lincoln for that matter, not follow the traditional elections cycle. This should be part of the normal Nov elections cycle.
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's to keep the local 'nonpartisan' races apart from state and national partisan elections.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

RNcyanide wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I probably should know this but why do City Elections for Counsel and Mayor In Omaha, and Lincoln for that matter, not follow the traditional elections cycle. This should be part of the normal Nov elections cycle.
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's to keep the local 'nonpartisan' races apart from state and national partisan elections.
and it ends up keeping voter turnout even lower and running up costs for another election.
omaharocks
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omaharocks »

I work near the Election Commission office and they have it set up again today (primary was same) as if there will be big crowds going there. Maybe I'm missing something, but on the actual voting day, isn't it the assumption that voters will go to their polling places? I thought going to the commission office was simply for voting early. Who can answer this one for me?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

omaharocks wrote:I work near the Election Commission office and they have it set up again today (primary was same) as if there will be big crowds going there. Maybe I'm missing something, but on the actual voting day, isn't it the assumption that voters will go to their polling places? I thought going to the commission office was simply for voting early. Who can answer this one for me?

At the end of the day after the polls close at 8PM.......... all polling sites will take their ballots out to the Election Commission office to be counted. There will be a mass rush on the office with vehicles bringing in ballots from all over the city. Since the Election Commission Office is in West Omaha the first votes to be counted often are the ones from West O since they get there first. Stothert will look strong about 9PM while the early West O votes are being counted but once the votes from South Omaha and the inner city come in Mello will over take her!
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Stothert wins re-election. Either candidate would have been perfectly acceptable, I think this was probably the better outcome.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Happy with the results, let's get back to work mayor and get the street car, library, and other projects on the fast track.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
omaharocks wrote:I work near the Election Commission office and they have it set up again today (primary was same) as if there will be big crowds going there. Maybe I'm missing something, but on the actual voting day, isn't it the assumption that voters will go to their polling places? I thought going to the commission office was simply for voting early. Who can answer this one for me?

At the end of the day after the polls close at 8PM.......... all polling sites will take their ballots out to the Election Commission office to be counted. There will be a mass rush on the office with vehicles bringing in ballots from all over the city. Since the Election Commission Office is in West Omaha the first votes to be counted often are the ones from West O since they get there first. Stothert will look strong about 9PM while the early West O votes are being counted but once the votes from South Omaha and the inner city come in Mello will over take her!
Attachments
itQeb6f.jpg
itQeb6f.jpg (7.82 KiB) Viewed 6995 times
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Mello lost me when he pandered to the "gimme gimme a free road!" crowd. He shouldn't have gone there. That whole argument, especially laying it on Stothert, showed a fundamental lack of understanding on that issue.

My grandparents both lived around 48th and Q. When they were annexed, they were told that their road would stay the way it was, unimproved, unless the citizens chose to have the city improve it to Omaha standards including sidewalks, storm drains, and thick concrete. My mom's parents block chose to pave, my dad's stayed unimproved. My fathers parents block is unimproved to this day. So, I have no sympathy for Mello and the District 66 people that are now demanding freebies. He chose to side with them and it cost him.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

nebugeater wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

I underestimated the power of Putin. The Russians wanted Stothert and they made sure they got her. I will leave it to Rachel Madow to explain the exact details. :shock:
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I'm really excited that Stothert got re-elected as our Mayor. She clearly has a proven track record and the citizen's of Omaha agree. There's some work to do because Mello got a good amount of the vote. Also regarding the voting I'm really dismayed at the number of people who voted in the general election. The Election commission was estimating around 83,000 people would vote more than 96,000 if I'm not mistaken voted which is good and higher then expectations but a city with 450,000 resident's it should be in the 200,000 range not 96,000.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

OmahaFan wrote:I'm really excited that Stothert got re-elected as our Mayor. She clearly has a proven track record and the citizen's of Omaha agree. There's some work to do because Mello got a good amount of the vote. Also regarding the voting I'm really dismayed at the number of people who voted in the general election. The Election commission was estimating around 83,000 people would vote more than 96,000 if I'm not mistaken voted which is good and higher then expectations but a city with 450,000 resident's it should be in the 200,000 range not 96,000.
I believe that there are around 280,000 registered voters in Douglas county....not all 500,000 residents are eligible to vote. So the turnout of 96,000 was around 33%.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

OmahaFan wrote:I'm really excited that Stothert got re-elected as our Mayor. She clearly has a proven track record and the citizen's of Omaha agree. There's some work to do because Mello got a good amount of the vote. Also regarding the voting I'm really dismayed at the number of people who voted in the general election. The Election commission was estimating around 83,000 people would vote more than 96,000 if I'm not mistaken voted which is good and higher then expectations but a city with 450,000 resident's it should be in the 200,000 range not 96,000.
I have not heard or seen the numbers yet but you kind of get the feeling that the apathy and lack of voter turn out east of 72nd was pretty severe. If this Omaha election truly was a litmus test for the Democratic party nationwide as has been suggested, then the Democrats are in for a whole heap of trouble. The Dems are looking weaker then I can ever remember.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Speaking of National politics and the Democratic party as a whole. I have to agree with you it was like the entire Democratic party was just gutted by Clinton not winning. They have no single leader to rally behind and there issues they run on are not really appealing to anyone except for there progressive base. I think the Democratic party is looking to go progressive instead of more moderate and well that's only going to hurt them in my opinion. Now during the election of Stothert Trump fired the FBI Director Jim Comey I have to be honest there was still enough time in the day where I thought well shucks this could hand Mello the election because it would motivate people to go out and take out there anger on Stothert. I was incorrect obviously but I see it as well the Democrats are in quite dire straights. They were kind using Omaha's election as a litmus test for 2018 elections which I found odd. I think the better test would be in that GA congressional race.

If the Democrats cannot win there with all that's going on I'd say they are in some dire straight because right now the Republican party is having a heck of time with messaging and communication. Trump Novice approach to govt only seems to be hurting him not helping him. The democrats goal in my opinion is to see Pres Trump dragged out of The White House in a orange jump suite and surrounded by U.S. Marshals. That's there main goal is to crush Donald Trump's presidency at all cost.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote: I have not heard or seen the numbers yet but you kind of get the feeling that the apathy and lack of voter turn out east of 72nd was pretty severe. If this Omaha election truly was a litmus test for the Democratic party nationwide as has been suggested, then the Democrats are in for a whole heap of trouble. The Dems are looking weaker then I can ever remember.
It seemed really strange to me that people were suggesting that. I know Mello tried to tie her to him but did anyone really believe that? It just seemed desperate on his part since she publicly stated she wrote in John McCain as she couldn't stomach voting for Trump.

I guess it showed that with an uninspiring candidate, anti-Trump sentiment won't defeat a centrist republican who voted against Trump.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

I feel that national politics should have nothing to do with local mayoral elections. Who cares if a mayoral candidate is a democrat or republican? I just want to vote on who I think will take care of our city. When the national democratic party started promoting Mello, I was done with him.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. I live west of 72nd.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I mean honestly as a fairly liberal Democrat who voted for Sanders in the primary I'm perfectly happy with this outcome. Stothert has proven herself to be a good centrist mayor and not one to walk the party line.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I feel that national politics should have nothing to do with local mayoral elections. Who cares if a mayoral candidate is a democrat or republican? I just want to vote on who I think will take care of our city. When the national democratic party started promoting Mello, I was done with him.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. I live west of 72nd.

Yes, just like the idiocy of the democrats that were crying about Sanders supporting a mayoral candidate that was Pro-Life. honestly, I couldn't care less about a mayors pro-choice/pro-life stance. It is not a type of issue that is decided at that level anyway.

Everything is so partisan these days that every single person running for office has to the party litmus test on every single issue. It's nauseating.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Garrett wrote:I mean honestly as a fairly liberal Democrat who voted for Sanders in the primary I'm perfectly happy with this outcome. Stothert has proven herself to be a good centrist mayor and not one to walk the party line.
I'm pretty much "meh" on Stothert or Mello..

I suppose Stothert winning another term was probably the "safest" outcome.. Although the sky wouldn't have fallen on Omaha had Mello won the election..

Stothert has been, in my estimation, a "fair to midland" mayor.. I really questioned her leadership abilities when the entire HDR downtown highrise plan came tumbling down last year.. Let's see if she learns from this gaffe...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I think that whole debacle imploded due to the more conservative idea of government not meddling in the affairs of private businesses. As irritating as that whole fracas was, I'm happy she didn't get involved any more than she did. At the end, if I recall correctly, she did try to sweeten the deal with the city paying for more parking but it was too little too late. Plus, she would have made an enemy out of one or both of some heavy names in the city. It was probably the safest option.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

RNcyanide wrote:I recall correctly, she did try to sweeten the deal with the city paying for more parking but it was too little too late. Plus, she would have made an enemy out of one or both of some heavy names in the city. It was probably the safest option.
She admitted that if she had to do it all over again (the HDR snafu), she would have gotten everyone involved in a room and got the differences hashed out.. Which displays true leadership.. That she made this admission, actually gives me hope she can be a more effective mayor for her 2nd term...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:I recall correctly, she did try to sweeten the deal with the city paying for more parking but it was too little too late. Plus, she would have made an enemy out of one or both of some heavy names in the city. It was probably the safest option.
She admitted that if she had to do it all over again (the HDR snafu), she would have gotten everyone involved in a room and got the differences hashed out.. Which displays true leadership.. That she made this admission, actually gives me hope she can be a more effective mayor for her 2nd term...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
You are correct in that Stothert did admit it was a mistake to not have gotten all the parties together and work out their differences regarding HDR building downtown. However, she was willing to have the city pay for a parking garage for HDR if they continued with their plans to build downtown. And I thought that I saw the CEO of HDR donated to Stothert's campaign. But, at the end of the day, she really should have had a meeting to sooth over everyone's complaints about the project that never happened. There is no do-overs. You can't get that one back. I think she saw what she lost and is going to try and make up for it by soliciting the downtown library spot.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

So, one question still remains... Was this the promised new Downtown HQ building she promised years ago? Or was she just suggesting a Colorado Pipe Dream?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
You are correct in that Stothert did admit it was a mistake to not have gotten all the parties together and work out their differences regarding HDR building downtown.But, at the end of the day, she really should have had a meeting to sooth over everyone's complaints about the project that never happened. There is no do-overs. You can't get that one back. I think she saw what she lost and is going to try and make up for it by soliciting the downtown library spot.
I agree with you regarding the potential downtown library development.. If she can somehow pull that one off, it will be her signature development which will define her mayoral tenure.. Kind of like Fahey when he negotiated the 25 year CWS extension..

Speaking of Fahey, I saw him at a coffee shop this past Friday afternoon. If the place wasn't so busy and he was not having his own conversation, I would have loved to engage him in some discussion. Oh well, opportunity lost...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I'm reading this stuff about a new library downtown and well quite honestly that will only attract the homeless people and make the area undesirable. heck look at the Downtown library right now it's homeless central and there is some pretty darn sketchy people who visit that area. Personally I think the money would be well spent on building a New police HQ for the police department. Heck the old police HQ is from the Late 60's to 70's. They have outgrown that building by a long shot not to mention the Omaha police evidence room is over stuffed with stuff. Then again they did do renovation's to the basement after taking the Jail out. Still though I think that area would be better suited to have a new police HQ rather then a new Library that will just bring in Homeless people.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
You are correct in that Stothert did admit it was a mistake to not have gotten all the parties together and work out their differences regarding HDR building downtown.But, at the end of the day, she really should have had a meeting to sooth over everyone's complaints about the project that never happened. There is no do-overs. You can't get that one back. I think she saw what she lost and is going to try and make up for it by soliciting the downtown library spot.
I agree with you regarding the potential downtown library development.. If she can somehow pull that one off, it will be her signature development which will define her mayoral tenure.. Kind of like Fahey when he negotiated the 25 year CWS extension..

Speaking of Fahey, I saw him at a coffee shop this past Friday afternoon. If the place wasn't so busy and he was not having his own conversation, I would have loved to engage him in some discussion. Oh well, opportunity lost...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Does Fahey live in Kansas City? I know he's from there and thought he had moved back after his mayoral tenure.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Does Fahey live in Kansas City? I know he's from there and thought he had moved back after his mayoral tenure.
He has a big house on Lake of the Ozarks which is kind of close to KC :lol: The article in the paper once stated that he had two boats anchored to his docks that were worth over 300,000 dollars each. I'm pretty sure he owns that big huge trailer park by Lake Zorinsky and a number of other things around town.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
He has a big house on Lake of the Ozarks which is kind of close to KC :lol: The article in the paper once stated that he had two boats anchored to his docks that were worth over 300,000 dollars each. I'm pretty sure he owns that big huge trailer park by Lake Zorinsky and a number of other things around town.
Yeah. He owns property in the Lake of the Ozarks.. and still maintains a residence here in Omaha from what I understand..

In the history of Omaha, as it relates to wealth, Fahey was the richest mayor in terms of person income.. Ever...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

choke wrote:Does Fahey live in Kansas City? I know he's from there and thought he had moved back after his mayoral tenure.
I still see him a Creighton Basketball games. He sits right behind the Radio/TV guys.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 12:02 pm
choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Oh, please. She knows exactly what she's doing. She wants everybody to believe how competent she is (even quoting something about nobody ever suggesting to her a new mayor is needed in Omaha, meaning because shes so accomplishing & great...), then she wants to "play dumb" when she wants to "play dumb." I'm sorry, she's a sharper gal than that. Oh, she's so "gung ho" about development for Omaha, including being majorally involved in this riverfront development, but she's then "not fully present" and "dazed & confused" and "not at the top of her game" when HDR was excitingly going to possibly build a major new building downtown? Really? Was she fighting the flu that week, or something? (I could tell HDR was annoyed or hurt by something that went on. I didn't know what exactly, though. It felt like they got irked & suddenly "turned their back" on Downtown Omaha, and turned to Aksarben. Were key leaders strangely unenthusiastic because HDR's building "got in the way" of their new riverfront plan that was brewing, making HDR feel a strange & unexpected "cold shoulder?") She's a respectable woman and has done a lot of good. Yet, willful, driven, and an aggressive "go getter", I just don't buy all that "Sorry guys. I could have done better..." hinesight stuff. And, I dont know if I trust her now, honestly. I dont know of I even want a mayor that isnt from the Omaha area. She's from the St Louis area, then Seattle, then Texas, then Omaha. I know she cares and wants to do good on a certain level, I can see that in her, but does she even care for Omaha beyond typical city issues & needs & problems & goals? Or, is it "just another US city" to serve, to be elected to power, and push her weight around for a season -- then she "moves off to the Carolinas" when she's done & no longer the center of attention in Omaha, or something? Furthermore, I'm not sure she truly & deeply cares about Omaha design or aesthetics -- or has a sense about what is right. I bet she doesnt TRULY care about our skyline -- the way we do here. And, why is a mayor from IOWA united with her as one of the major, key people in Omaha's riverfront development plan, I learn? Yes, Council Bluffs is a "friendly adjacent city" to Omaha just across a river, but believe me, at the end of the day, they are more for "their Des Moines, Iowa", than they are for adjacent Omaha. Is Omaha ultimately more for adjacent Council Bluffs than for "our Lincoln, Nebraska?" Absolutely not. Don't kid yourself... Stothert is not from Omaha so I doubt she knows anything about the "Nebraska/Iowa thing" at all, nor can feel it, the way that we natives do, the way that Iowa mayor does. (Being from Omaha, I can't even write "Iowa/Nebraska", while still liking Iowa, being born in Iowa, having plenty of family in Iowa, and being friendly overall towards Iowa. There's a "pride thing" that exists.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

A lot to unpack here, but I just want to point out that Stothert has lived here since 1992 which is longer than I’ve been alive.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Garrett wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:41 pm A lot to unpack here, but I just want to point out that Stothert has lived here since 1992 which is longer than I’ve been alive.
I understand that. Researching her background, one article said "1992" and one said "1993." That's far enough back that I'm sure Omaha may feel like "home" to her by now, but my point was that she is not a "true native" of Omaha.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

RockHarbor wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:34 pm
Garrett wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:41 pm A lot to unpack here, but I just want to point out that Stothert has lived here since 1992 which is longer than I’ve been alive.
I understand that. Researching her background, one article said "1992" and one said "1993." That's far enough back that I'm sure Omaha may feel like "home" to her by now, but my point was that she is not a "true native" of Omaha.
Jim Suttle was born in Colorado. Mike Fahey was born in Kansas City. Hal Daub was born in North Carolina. The last mayor I can tell definitively based on minor research was born in Omaha was Ed Zorinksy who left office in 1976x I’m struggling to see your point.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Garrett wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:47 pm
Jim Suttle was born in Colorado. Mike Fahey was born in Kansas City. Hal Daub was born in North Carolina. The last mayor I can tell definitively based on minor research was born in Omaha was Ed Zorinksy who left office in 1976x I’m struggling to see your point.
Garrett, I'm not saying an Omaha mayor has to always be from Omaha. Im not saying they cant move there, and settle in, and do a good job in Omaha. I just like the idea better when they are a native. Why? Because they "get" Omaha & Nebraska more, because I know they deeply care. Do you like the idea of an Omaha mayor or Nebraska senator sitting with an Oklahoma sweatshirt on, or watching their hometown's hockey game, on a Nebraska game day, when Lincoln is filled with "Nebraska Red?" I don't. Get my point now?
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

RockHarbor wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:46 pm
Garrett wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:47 pm
Garrett, I'm not saying an Omaha mayor has to always be from Omaha. Im not saying they cant move there, and settle in, and do a good job in Omaha. I just like the idea better when they are a native. Why? Because they "get" Omaha & Nebraska more, because I know they deeply care. Do you like the idea of an Omaha mayor or Nebraska senator sitting with an Oklahoma sweatshirt on, or watching their hometown's hockey game, on a Nebraska game day, when Lincoln is filled with "Nebraska Red?" I don't. Get my point now?
Oh I get your point, I just find it entirely lacking any substance beyond mild xenophobia. One doesn’t have to cheer for the Huskers to do a good job as mayor. I didn’t realize that sports cheering had a significant impact on one’s ability to serve the public. Stothert obviously deeply cares about Omaha, as she has been working in public service in some form since 1997 here. I would say all of the mayors that I listed deeply cared about Omaha too. The idea that they have fly out of their mother’s uterus in the middle of Gene Leahy Mall in order to properly care about the city is soooooooo small-town “we don’t like outsiders” minded that it’s absurd
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Your point seems to be you want an Omaha mayor in Lincoln every Saturday in the fall. I'd rather have the best mayor possible than just the best mayor who happened to be born in Nebraska. I think Michigan native Bob Devaney worked out pretty well for Lincoln. If our next mayor can bring new businesses in, grow public transportation alternatives like rail, reduce crime, balance the budget, create a population influx to increase the labor and tax pool, grow downtown & midtown, work with Iowa to connect 480 to 680, and elevate Omaha's perception as a top destination for young professionals and tech talent then 1) we have won the mayoral lottery and 2) I don't care if they do every press conference in a Wichita Shockers jersey and they're first name is Gregg.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I feel like you want us to copy many development and infrastructure styles and patterns done in other cities, but you don’t want us to have leadership with experience from those cities.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

You guys get my point. Quit arguing it just to argue it. (And, no, its not about "being in Lincoln for a game." It's about having a 100% understanding & love for Nebraska, as a native. Duh. Not only did I flat out say that, the "Huskers fan" was just an example to back it. QUIT reading what you want to read, and read what I SAID. Geez, people are notorious for that. It just never fails.)
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Not arguing just to argue; I don't agree with your perspective. I do see what you're trying to convey with your logic that a Nebraska/Omaha native would presumably be more invested in the city and therefore be inherently more qualified and a better mayor. I counter that I'd rather elect a more qualified candidate based on their abilities, vision, and record instead of the arbitrary chance that they may be from Elkhorn, or Ord, or Scottsbluff.

By that logic you would not have hired Bob Devaney as the Huskers' coach as he was a Michigan native. Yet somehow he was arguably our most legendary football coach (don't start, that's a whole different thread). So I'm simply pointing out that your desire to limit the candidate pool most qualified to have our best interests at heart to those born in Nebraska as being short-sighted when many very qualified candidates are not necessarily from the Omaha area.

If I *really* wanted to argue just to argue I'd say your nationalist perspective as it relates to Nebraska natives unfairly discriminates against qualified candidates who aren't native Nebraskans. Being that the racial make-up of Nebraska is 82.1% non-Hispanic white and the national white demographic is 62% one can clearly see that you are attempting to suppress well qualified, diverse candidates to represent a city whose non-hispanic white demo of 68% is more representative of the national demographic. But, I'm out of popcorn....
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

almighty_tuna wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:27 am Not arguing just to argue; I don't agree with your perspective. I do see what you're trying to convey with your logic that a Nebraska/Omaha native would presumably be more invested in the city and therefore be inherently more qualified and a better mayor. I counter that I'd rather elect a more qualified candidate based on their abilities, vision, and record instead of the arbitrary chance that they may be from Elkhorn, or Ord, or Scottsbluff.

By that logic you would not have hired Bob Devaney as the Huskers' coach as he was a Michigan native. Yet somehow he was arguably our most legendary football coach (don't start, that's a whole different thread). So I'm simply pointing out that your desire to limit the candidate pool most qualified to have our best interests at heart to those born in Nebraska as being short-sighted when many very qualified candidates are not necessarily from the Omaha area.

If I *really* wanted to argue just to argue I'd say your nationalist perspective as it relates to Nebraska natives unfairly discriminates against qualified candidates who aren't native Nebraskans. Being that the racial make-up of Nebraska is 82.1% non-Hispanic white and the national white demographic is 62% one can clearly see that you are attempting to suppress well qualified, diverse candidates to represent a city whose non-hispanic white demo of 68% is more representative of the national demographic. But, I'm out of popcorn....
See, I genuinely understand your point, because it is a general & understandable & logic point. So is mine. I prefer a Nebraska native, personally, if I could choose. That's understandable for many reasons. (But, that still wouldnt stop me in voting for Stothert again. I overall like her, and think she does a good job. She's just too sharp for me to believe her say "Oops...I missed the boat. Sorry guys! Silly me! Hee hee!" and believe it, especially when it was something important.) I swear, I could say a general & understandable & logic point like: "At a home pool or a public pool, parents should really try their best to always keep a sharp eye on any children swimming..." and you guys would probably argue it.