2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

RNcyanide wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Man....... Stothert did even worse then I thought she would. After all the name recognition and superior campaign war chest Stothert was only able to win a couple thousand more votes then Mello. You take the 10% of the voters for Taylor Royal and add them on to Mello and hes the next mayor. :yes: We all loved Mayor Jean so why did she screw it all up?
Yes surely since she didn't get the vote of every eligible adult in city limits during a PRIMARY ELECTION means she is going to fail. I suppose you bill yourself as a modern day Nostradamus. Voter turnout was projected at 23 percent for this election, or 65,000 voters. She'll more than likely continue to make your head burn by not endorsing the Оранжевый олигарх for another four years.

No I am not Nostradamus...... I did see Stothert was in trouble and explained exactly why over a month ago in this very thread. Stotherts goose is cooked and I said so a month ago and its still the same today and will be in the main election. The writing was on the wall for anyone to see. I saw it. I still see it.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote:KETV Channel 7, tonight at 10:00, will have an expose on D'Shawn Cunningham and his 'criminal background and troubled past'
Oy vey. I'm sure that'll be fun.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

WOWT had theirs right after KETV. Drugs, terroristic threats...
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote:WOWT had theirs right after KETV. Drugs, terroristic threats...
Read both articles. Marijuana possession? Eh. But the terroristic threats part? Big yikes. Especially the part where he tries to play it off as a normal family dispute...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Linkin5 wrote:
Coyote wrote:KETV Channel 7, tonight at 10:00, will have an expose on D'Shawn Cunningham and his 'criminal background and troubled past'
Lol, uh oh.
You mean this?

http://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-city- ... rd/9238813
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omababe wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Lol, uh oh.
You mean this?

http://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-city- ... rd/9238813

Haha, wonderful.
No posts exist for this topic
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

The pot bust and the cry baby family squabbles don't exactly alarm me. Now the fact that he has a warrant out over in Iowa over a petty pot bust and he refuses to deal with it bothers me a lot. It would be ridiculously easy and cheap to go over to Iowa and deal with that pot incident. It is irrefutable that a person that would knowingly not deal with that warrant is not fit for public office and quite simply does not have his act together.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:The pot bust and the cry baby family squabbles don't exactly alarm me. Now the fact that he has a warrant out over in Iowa over a petty pot bust and he refuses to deal with it bothers me a lot. It would be ridiculously easy and cheap to go over to Iowa and deal with that pot incident. It is irrefutable that a person that would knowingly not deal with that warrant is not fit for public office and quite simply does not have his act together.
It would have been easy. Now not so much. He has a bench warrant for failure to appear. One should not reasonably look forward to a fine or suspended sentence or drug diversion now. Some judge who has been insulted by some schmuck from Nebraska is going to go off on him. Failure to appear when you are running for city council of a top 50 population centers in the US is pretty much one of those "we don't care what he says, he has DQ'd himself" actions.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Mello is a young Suttle or Fahey. Spend, spend, spend, and give in to OFD.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

bbinks wrote:Mello is a young Suttle or Fahey. Spend, spend, spend, and give in to OFD.
Spend only in those areas that vote Democrat. Tax only in areas that vote republican. The Jim Suttle mantra.

Mello is bringing in these national figures. This worries me that these people NEVER come for free. He will be paying this back (with our tax money) for years.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

bigredmed wrote:
bbinks wrote:Mello is a young Suttle or Fahey. Spend, spend, spend, and give in to OFD.
Spend only in those areas that vote Democrat. Tax only in areas that vote republican. The Jim Suttle mantra.

Mello is bringing in these national figures. This worries me that these people NEVER come for free. He will be paying this back (with our tax money) for years.
I think that most potential Democrat presidential candidates see taking Trump on in 2020 as a suicide mission. That leaves a big hole for Bernie. Bernie will be 79 in 2020 and he aint going to want to wait unto 2024 when he will be 83. Bernie is campaigning for 2020 already.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
bigredmed wrote:

I think that most potential Democrat presidential candidates see taking Trump on in 2020 as a suicide mission. That leaves a big hole for Bernie. Bernie will be 79 in 2020 and he aint going to want to wait unto 2024 when he will be 83. Bernie is campaigning for 2020 already.
Heard some chatter that the governor of Colorado might give it a go in 2020. Trump wasn't looking too good at first but, while no one wants more war, what Trump did to Syria was probably the right thing. He's bold if nothing else.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
bigredmed wrote:

Or Bernie could be playing King Maker. With Hillary committing sepaku politically by trying to annoint her daughter as heir apparent and then going off on people who voted against her in her upcoming book, he will face weak opposition, but will be 79. He may be better off being the "old dude we should have gone with" rather than end up being the "Old dude who is past his prime".

Either way, the presence of these kind of people bother me in this election. Mello is showing is party aparachik card and I just see that as accumulating political debt for him that if elected, I will have to pay off (especially since I have the unmitigated gall to live west of I 680, and are therefore uncool and must be punished with confiscatory tax policies.) Another reason to vote for Stothert. At least we know who she owes.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Now Mello is saying what we want to hear er I mean he is saying that the Street Car is not a wise use of our money :yes:
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Now Mello is saying what we want to hear er I mean he is saying that the Street Car is not a wise use of our money :yes:
He's only saying that because his political bedfellow was ousted from Midtown 2050. One second after Bernie Sanders or the next politically-connected Midtown 2050 person says a streetcar is a good idea, Mello will be for them again.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Now Mello is saying what we want to hear er I mean he is saying that the Street Car is not a wise use of our money :yes:
He has to dump the streetcar fast. Stothert came out in Facebook arguing that the streetcar should be put to a vote. Her responses were glowingly in favor of this and anti streetcar. He may be from the other party, but when your opponent gets 100% support for her take, you have to triangulate towards that position, especially when it meets with massive opposition west of 72nd Street.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

NEDodger wrote:
He's only saying that because his political bedfellow was ousted from Midtown 2050. One second after Bernie Sanders or the next politically-connected Midtown 2050 person says a streetcar is a good idea, Mello will be for them again.

Bernie at the Baxter talkin Street car trash? I won't be going to see that.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Some Q&A with Mode Shift Omaha and the mayoral candidates:

https://modeshiftomaha.org/2017/03/20/c ... #more-2992
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I'll be voting Stothert in the election, I think she's done a good job. Also, it's hilarious some people are using the fact she didn't vote for Trump against her, more than anything that shows she is not willing to toe party line.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Linkin5 wrote:I'll be voting Stothert in the election, I think she's done a good job. Also, it's hilarious some people are using the fact she didn't vote for Trump against her, more than anything that shows she is not willing to toe party line.
So will Taylor Royal:

Per Robynn Tysver / World-Herald staff writer:
Taylor Royal backs Jean Stothert in Omaha mayoral race
http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/city ... f7403.html
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

choke wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I'll be voting Stothert in the election, I think she's done a good job. Also, it's hilarious some people are using the fact she didn't vote for Trump against her, more than anything that shows she is not willing to toe party line.
So will Taylor Royal:

Per Robynn Tysver / World-Herald staff writer:
Taylor Royal backs Jean Stothert in Omaha mayoral race
http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/city ... f7403.html
I voted for Taylor Royal and if he says vote for Stothert then I got no use for him anymore. :shrug:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Let me get this straight-

Taylor Royal ran on a platform that was anti-streetcar..

Heath Mello appears to be taking the no streetcar side of the issue..

Jean Stothert is the pro streetcar candidate..

Naturally then, Taylor Royal backs Stothert :what: ..

Oh those crazy Millennials, lol..

The next 30 days should be a boatload of fun :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Let me get this straight-

Ciao..LiO...Peace
You must have missed this, but a day before Mello came out against the street car, Stothert had already posted on Facebook that she would not support it unless approved by referendum. Both are now anti-street car.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Is no one going to champion extending the BRT that already has some grant funding as an alternative?

Omaha needs to get it's transportation act together.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Is no one going to champion extending the BRT that already has some grant funding as an alternative?

The TIGER grant is on Trumps chopping block. Omaha's BRT might be one of the last round of projects with that funding.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

iamjacobm wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Is no one going to champion extending the BRT that already has some grant funding as an alternative?

The TIGER grant is on Trumps chopping block. Omaha's BRT might be one of the last round of projects with that funding.
Yes it is. I was wondering if Omaha is still going to get that grant?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

choke wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:

Yes it is. I was wondering if Omaha is still going to get that grant?
If he cuts as much as he says he is, he's going to have bipartisan he!l to pay.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

It seems the majority of legitimate candidates (mayor and city council) see BRT expansion as a given and not an alternative to other forms of public transportation. Unless, you are Mello, though. His position seems to change with the wind.

https://modeshiftomaha.org/2017/03/20/c ... #more-2992
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Let me get this straight-

Ciao..LiO...Peace
You must have missed this, but a day before Mello came out against the street car, Stothert had already posted on Facebook that she would not support it unless approved by referendum. Both are now anti-street car.
Interesting. I did miss that one. Still, it's a lightening rod issue. She could turn pro rail at any time before May 9th.. and honestly, I don't feel she's suddenly become anti-street car. I do know that now, Stothert is calling for a public vote on it.. Mello on the other hand, just wants to pause the idea altogether, lol..

In any case, the next month should be pretty amusing...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Why is Mello so against the streetcar?
Is it so bad Omaha wants to plan for the future?
I also think it's funny a liberal is arguing against a mass transit system.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Why is Mello so against the streetcar?

What can you say at this point ......except that in the matter of the "Street Car"...... the opinions and views of our 2 Mayoral candidates have more waffles in them then the Village Inn. :(
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Why is Mello so against the streetcar?
    So, my hypothesis:

1. The streetcar is more of a toy than a useful thing.
    2. It will barely benefit anyone.
    3. It will be very expensive and despite what the urban planners say, it will cost the taxpayers a lot.
    4. West Omaha is full of voters who are still upset off about all the downtown spending that turned into big tax bills for them.
    5. Campaign pollsters found out just how badly a lot of registered voters dislike the streetcar.
    6. Stothert beat him to the door by demanding a vote. Mello then had to go pro-streetcar and kiss west Omaha goodbye or one up Stothert by going totally antistreetcar.
    Professor Woland
    Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

While I don't think either would be an unmitigated disaster they both have positions or aspects which are nearly or actually disqualifying. Mello has support from Bernie Sanders, this is as damning as if Stothert had an endorsement from Trump. I can't in good conscience vote for someone with support from a proponent of an authoritarian or totalitarian ideology. So, Mello is out. Stothert has many faults, but she is almost certainly the lesser evil here.
    bigredmed
    Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Professor Woland wrote:While I don't think either would be an unmitigated disaster they both have positions or aspects which are nearly or actually disqualifying. Mello has support from Bernie Sanders, this is as damning as if Stothert had an endorsement from Trump. I can't in good conscience vote for someone with support from a proponent of an authoritarian or totalitarian ideology. So, Mello is out. Stothert has many faults, but she is almost certainly the lesser evil here.
    Sanders is a socialist, and most damning is his recurrent financial sliminess. Most recently the lake house he acquired with some shadowy financing. He reminds me of the pigs in Animal Farm.

Because of this, one has to believe that there will be a cost to his involvement. If Mello wins, we will be on the hook for it.

The street car issue is the deciding factor for me. It comes rolling along with the usual crowd of midtown supporters claiming it will relieve parking and be paid for by the political spell called "TIF", even though most of the area is already TIF'd. The voters in the tax factory are still cheesed off by Fahey and Suttle's spending. Both candidates were pro-streetcar car, and Stothert was more nimble in her policy shift.

Mello had to go into a total reversal of his original pro position in order to be viable in the parts of town that get to pay for stuff, but seldom gets stuff. This tells me that he doesn't really hear the voters. Mello seems like the young Pol that is using us to climb ranks and has some worrying connections.

Omaha deserves better.
    TitosBuritoBarn
    Planning Board

bigredmed wrote: 4. West Omaha is full of voters who are still upset off about all the downtown spending that turned into big tax bills for them.
    The traditional model for the layout of cities used nearly everywhere around the world utilizes a hub and spoke system where the hub, the city center, is where all the culture and activity is. It's efficient and no one has been able to provide a better solution. So some urban planning philosophies would suggest that you have actively paid to be away from the center and the center's hustle, bustle, culture, and activity, and are getting what you paid for. No hustle, no bustle, but also no culture.

I'm really starting to believe we need to kick this annexation habit - let west Omaha be its own city and let urban Omaha be, you know, urban.
    bigredmed
    Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
    bigredmed wrote: 4. West Omaha is full of voters who are still upset off about all the downtown spending that turned into big tax bills for them.
    The traditional model for the layout of cities used nearly everywhere around the world utilizes a hub and spoke system where the hub, the city center, is where all the culture and activity is. It's efficient and no one has been able to provide a better solution. So some urban planning philosophies would suggest that you have actively paid to be away from the center and the center's hustle, bustle, culture, and activity, and are getting what you paid for. No hustle, no bustle, but also no culture.

I'm really starting to believe we need to kick this annexation habit - let west Omaha be its own city and let urban Omaha be, you know, urban.
    Welcome to St Louis. With OPS circling the drain, North Omaha's chronic violence, and the general "toys for girls and boys" attitude towards public spending, you would rapidly fail. Some judge would order mandatory fees to 66 and other burb schools to pay for toys for boys instead of "schools with rules" to attract kids to more magnet like programs like in KCMO (which failed to bring out the judicially ordered changes), and the people will find the nearest impenetrable border to cross, and them move there (to wit Kansas) to avoid the judge's rose colored orders. Enjoy.

Seriously, have you looked at Facebook? I realize that it is perhaps older than your demographic slice, but it is an interesting glimpse at how people from around Omaha signing their own names to statements have very negative opinions about this project. The pols would have been suicidal to push it outside of a coordinated system for city wide mass transit.
    Greg S
    City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed wrote:
    Professor Woland wrote:While I don't think either would be an unmitigated disaster they both have positions or aspects which are nearly or actually disqualifying. Mello has support from Bernie Sanders, this is as damning as if Stothert had an endorsement from Trump. I can't in good conscience vote for someone with support from a proponent of an authoritarian or totalitarian ideology. So, Mello is out. Stothert has many faults, but she is almost certainly the lesser evil here.
    Sanders is a socialist, and most damning is his recurrent financial sliminess. Most recently the lake house he acquired with some shadowy financing. He reminds me of the pigs in Animal Farm.

Because of this, one has to believe that there will be a cost to his involvement. If Mello wins, we will be on the hook for it.

The street car issue is the deciding factor for me. It comes rolling along with the usual crowd of midtown supporters claiming it will relieve parking and be paid for by the political spell called "TIF", even though most of the area is already TIF'd. The voters in the tax factory are still cheesed off by Fahey and Suttle's spending. Both candidates were pro-streetcar car, and Stothert was more nimble in her policy shift.

Mello had to go into a total reversal of his original pro position in order to be viable in the parts of town that get to pay for stuff, but seldom gets stuff. This tells me that he doesn't really hear the voters. Mello seems like the young Pol that is using us to climb ranks and has some worrying connections.

Omaha deserves better.

What kind of cost do you think there would be to Sanders involvement with Mello? I honestly can't come up with any. I think it's just more of the same old politics, a big name politician coming to town to try and help someone from his party. And I say this as a lifelong Democrat (more independent though but you get punished in Nebraksa on primary voting as an independent). I don't like Sanders either, but I really don't see there being any true long term cost to this.

My bigger concern with Mello is the support from the firefighters union. They are contributing to his campaign, and also separately funding the Tim Dunning attack ads (who is a big Mello supporter). After this kind of support, no way I would trust him to negotiate with the firefighters union). And I lost all faith in them after the pension spiking they did.

Greg
    bigredmed
    Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Greg, you may be correct, but this party machine politics runs on money. Money that in truth should not be tax money, but it usually is when you think of the police and infrastructure costs to their campaigns and the programs that the parties want their local people to start up.

His fire union connections are a more pressing threat.
    TitosBuritoBarn
    Planning Board

bigredmed wrote: Welcome to St Louis.
    Thanks. Ironically. I'll most likely be moving there this summer.
    With OPS circling the drain, North Omaha's chronic violence, and the general "toys for girls and boys" attitude towards public spending, you would rapidly fail. Some judge would order mandatory fees to 66 and other burb schools to pay for toys for boys instead of "schools with rules" to attract kids to more magnet like programs like in KCMO (which failed to bring out the judicially ordered changes), and the people will find the nearest impenetrable border to cross, and them move there (to wit Kansas) to avoid the judge's rose colored orders. Enjoy.
    Those are some rather extreme and specific examples set up by terrible government and planning ideas at the beginning of the century. There's also Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, DC, that have all these toys and are attracting significant urban investment that has resulted in increased economic activity and an increase in favorable socioeconomic demographics. All of these cities have also been set up by the same terrible ideas at the beginning of the century that led to violence and bad schools, which they have, and yet you'd be hard pressed to find someone (besides your armchair youtube commenter) who would label them failures as cities.

Ideally, the whole metro would pay into the advancement of the whole metro with the city center receiving a higher proportion because, ideally, that's where the center of activity is which benefits the whole metro. Instead, many places in America have become "I've got mine, |expletive| the rest of you" sorts of places. The solution to solving a problem isn't to neglect it.
    Seriously, have you looked at Facebook? I realize that it is perhaps older than your demographic slice, but it is an interesting glimpse at how people from around Omaha signing their own names to statements have very negative opinions about this project. The pols would have been suicidal to push it outside of a coordinated system for city wide mass transit.
    My demographic slice started Facebook. Internet comment boards are terrible gauges for public perception. I hadn't even referred to the street car. You know what? |expletive| the street car. Just some usable public transit would be great.
    bigredmed
    Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Totally fine with usable public transit. Earlier, I cited Orlando's convention center circuit bus system that linked the center to nearby shopping and restaurants and connected to the real bus system. Much more economical than a street car and is heavily used.