2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Post by Uffda »

I know people want the sight of a street car cruising down the street for the cool factor but I feel for years Omaha has neglected the mass transit of a good reliable extensive bus system that could then have been expanded on with light rail and street cars -- something like Denver has been doing for 40+ years. When I worked out around 144th and Maple, I looked to see if I could take a bus close to work --- nope - the closest got me 108th and Fort/Maple. Plus I would need to walk about 1.2 miles to Crown Point and 78th to catch it in the first place. Now working in S. Omaha, I checked the site and it would take me almost 2 hours to get to work and it would include a 1.2 walk to get to pickup site and then another 1.5 miles after the bus dropped me off.

Looking at the Metro map - the busses seem to service the downtown and midtown plus Dodge corridor to Westroads pretty well but the rest of metro is neglected.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Isn't it tragic that they are wasting so much time talking about a Street Car and not a second about what we are going to do about all the dozens of streets now lined every day of the week with beggars and moochers looking for hand outs? Can't they see those beggars standing in the middle of 72nd Dodge? Do they think that the problem is going to fix itself? Can't they see that the problem is growing worse every day? "Hey tourists don't mind those beggars on every corner check out our nice shiny new Street Car running up and down Farnam."
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Isn't it tragic that they are wasting so much time talking about a Street Car and not a second about what we are going to do about all the dozens of streets now lined every day of the week with beggars and moochers looking for hand outs? Can't they see those beggars standing in the middle of 72nd Dodge? Do they think that the problem is going to fix itself? Can't they see that the problem is growing worse every day? "Hey tourists don't mind those beggars on every corner check out our nice shiny new Street Car running up and down Farnam."
Simple solution to the panhandlers. Ticket & fine the bleeding hearts who give them money. Problem solved
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

debradomayer wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Simple solution to the panhandlers. Ticket & fine the bleeding hearts who give them money. Problem solved
Not so easy. The left won't tolerate it and would get tickets just to go court over it.

Fine them and the panhandlers for creating traffic hazards and endangering public safety. Then let the bleeding hearts have a day in court with a non nonsense judge that simply fines them for causing danger.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
I don't think I ever would have agreed with you on politics but you are exactly right. Besides, Stothert is going to let the people vote on the streetcar if it gets that far. So, I don't see what the big deal is. Mello is just pandering at this point. I can't believe people can stand behind his vision for Omaha. I'd rather vote for the NFL stadium. At least Taylor thought big. Mello wants to squash public transportation initiatives and stop annexing. Does he want us to be like Grand Island???? And, how we gonna pay for his big contract negotiations with the firefighter's union? And yes, the beggars are out of control.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

bigredmed wrote:
debradomayer wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Not so easy. The left won't tolerate it and would get tickets just to go court over it.

Fine them and the panhandlers for creating traffic hazards and endangering public safety. Then let the bleeding hearts have a day in court with a non nonsense judge that simply fines them for causing danger.
What, is ignoring them so hard?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

RNcyanide wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
debradomayer wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Here's my problem with the panhandlers, I see people that look like they are not very well off giving these guys money. Then I'll see these guys after certain amounts of meet up and what it looks like pool the money.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Linkin5 wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
debradomayer wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Here's my problem with the panhandlers, I see people that look like they are not very well off giving these guys money. Then I'll see these guys after certain amounts of meet up and what it looks like pool the money.
It's not the panhandlers fault these people are guillible. That sounds awful, but no one said you have to give these people cash. I'm certain some of them are genuine but there's far too many frauds to be sure, so I just don't bother.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

RNcyanide wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
debradomayer wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

It's not the panhandlers fault these people are guillible. That sounds awful, but no one said you have to give these people cash. I'm certain some of them are genuine but there's far too many frauds to be sure, so I just don't bother.
My beef is when they dart in and out of traffic when the light is green. I really got to lay on my horn.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

bigredmed wrote:
debradomayer wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Do we even have a law that would stop them? If not pass a roadside solicitation ban
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Uffda wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
debradomayer wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Do we even have a law that would stop them? If not pass a roadside solicitation ban
There was a panhandling law in Lincoln when I was growing up, not sure why they don't pass one here it's out of control.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Linkin5 wrote:
Uffda wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
debradomayer wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

There was a panhandling law in Lincoln when I was growing up, not sure why they don't pass one here it's out of control.
When I would visit Tampa a few years ago they would have all types on the road island. With signs, or selling newspapers/water or charitable - they put a roadside solicitation ban to cover all and it all disappeared.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

The street repair issue might end up being the demise for the Stothert administration. If that's the case, we will end up footing the bill for the 300 miles of streets not up to city code.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Panhandling laws have been overturned in court several times and can also cause bad PR for a city.

Here's a solution I think is interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/21/us/p ... -jobs.html

It would give our city parks some much needed TLC and also have a side-effect that anyone you see still panhandling is someone that doesn't want to work. Hopefully that would lead to less people giving money and less people standing on medians.

I can't believe I actually agree with Grandpasmucker - panhandling is universally considered a nuisance and a blight on the areas it occurs in. It also has seemingly grown majorly over the last 4 years. Stothert's inaction on this issue is incredibly visible and Mello would be wise to pounce.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Taco wrote:Panhandling laws have been overturned in court several times and can also cause bad PR for a city.

Here's a solution I think is interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/21/us/p ... -jobs.html

It would give our city parks some much needed TLC and also have a side-effect that anyone you see still panhandling is someone that doesn't want to work. Hopefully that would lead to less people giving money and less people standing on medians.

I can't believe I actually agree with Grandpasmucker - panhandling is universally considered a nuisance and a blight on the areas it occurs in. It also has seemingly grown majorly over the last 4 years. Stothert's inaction on this issue is incredibly visible and Mello would be wise to pounce.

I love this idea.

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

choke wrote:The street repair issue might end up being the demise for the Stothert administration. If that's the case, we will end up footing the bill for the 300 miles of streets not up to city code.
Hope not. I am genuinely angered when people intentionally screw us and get away with it. The people involved knew what they were doing and just didn't care.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

bigredmed wrote:
choke wrote:The street repair issue might end up being the demise for the Stothert administration. If that's the case, we will end up footing the bill for the 300 miles of streets not up to city code.
Hope not. I am genuinely angered when people intentionally screw us and get away with it. The people involved knew what they were doing and just didn't care.
There are plenty of reasons to not like Stothert, but the street thing is nonsense. What was she supposed to do, push for a three hundred million dollar project to attend to those streets when we're still in the middle of the sewer project? The city has increased its budget for these projects, but it's going to be a multi year project. I suppose the city could work out special assessments for the neighborhoods with asphalt streets that need to be rebuilt.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Professor Woland wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
There are plenty of reasons to not like Stothert, but the street thing is nonsense. What was she supposed to do, push for a three hundred million dollar project to attend to those streets when we're still in the middle of the sewer project? The city has increased its budget for these projects, but it's going to be a multi year project. I suppose the city could work out special assessments for the neighborhoods with asphalt streets that need to be rebuilt.
Sorry, these people knew going in that they were out of code compliance when they built the roads. The city for a long time has established a funding strategy that places the burden on the home owners where it belongs.

Sticking the rest of the city with the bill is wrong.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

bigredmed wrote:
Professor Woland wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
Sorry, these people knew going in that they were out of code compliance when they built the roads. The city for a long time has established a funding strategy that places the burden on the home owners where it belongs.

Sticking the rest of the city with the bill is wrong.
I completely agree. When I mentioned a special assessment that is what I meant. They can pay an extra tax to have the streets redone, you see that kind of thing all the time in a number of other states. All houses in a given area are hit with a special assessment to pay for a sewer repair or the maintenance of a wildlife preserve or something. Now, if the city wants to slowly address these roads over the course of a couple of decades I'm okay with it, but the idea that the taxpayers should be hit with an enormous expense to cover this in short order is dumb.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It's going to take substantial outlays in order to make a dent in Omaha's street maintenance backlog. Any mayor or city council which attempts to do anything other than kick the can down the road is committing political suicide.

So, the city will continue to to move money around when feasible, or try to get the state or someone else to pay for their problem.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stothert is bringing in union buster Gov Scott Walker....
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:Stothert is bringing in union buster Gov Scott Walker....
She also is wheeling out a pretty heavy negative ad campaign. This 30 second ad in particular features a number of the classic tricks they like to play in these type of political ads. All the pictures of Mello in the ad show him with a frown or unhappy look on his face wearing a stupid zipper shirt and all his pics are in black and white. All of Stotherts pics in the ads are in color with her smiling and in professional looking attire. Oh yeah reminds me of some of Hillarys attack ads against Bernie and Trump. Jean has went to the dark side.

Jeans negative ad-

P.S.- Got a call tonight from Gov Pete wanting me to join a town hall over the phone.......Lets see shall I listen to a bogus boring fake town hall or watch the newest episode of Better Call Saul :what:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

What the shizz is happening here?

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

:despond:
RNcyanide wrote:
What the shizz is happening here?
As with my comments about Mello, bringing in these foreign speakers who have no connection to Omaha puts me off.

My family in WI is pretty fond of what Walker has done there. The whole state was a giant OPS, it seems. He has busted up and exposed political prosecutions and corrupt public unions.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

I was reading these comment's critical of Mayor Sothert. She has done more for this city then any other Mayor has. I'm glad she is my Mayor and I support her 100%. I'm voting for her because of what she brings to the table not her personality. I could care less about her personality. If she can get things done then so be it. I like her vision of Annexing and growing it before the next census. Mello would only hurt Omaha and the business's that reside here in Omaha. Mello would spend the Surplus we currently enjoy on ridiculous project's. Such as trying to make Eppley a international airport. Mello would also increase our taxes when Sothert has given us modest tax decrease's. She is the right choice for Omaha. Also regarding the Street car system that's proposed I fully support it and would like to see it come into existence. Change is scary but sometimes we have to take Omaha to the next step and doing the street car would do just that! Mello also bringing in Bernie Sander's is quite concerning because of the leftist and total government control that Sander's want's. Mello isn't the right choice for Omaha.

Look at Stothert's record for the City of Omaha and look at the record Mello has. Compared with Mello. Sothert is the true winner there. Btw with Stothert bringing in Gov. Walker from WI I think that would be good for him to come he's way better then Sander's.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

OmahaFan wrote:I was reading these comment's critical of Mayor Sothert. She has done more for this city then any other Mayor has. I'm glad she is my Mayor and I support her 100%. I'm voting for her because of what she brings to the table not her personality. I could care less about her personality. If she can get things done then so be it. I like her vision of Annexing and growing it before the next census. Mello would only hurt Omaha and the business's that reside here in Omaha. Mello would spend the Surplus we currently enjoy on ridiculous project's. Such as trying to make Eppley a international airport. Mello would also increase our taxes when Sothert has given us modest tax decrease's. She is the right choice for Omaha. Also regarding the Street car system that's proposed I fully support it and would like to see it come into existence. Change is scary but sometimes we have to take Omaha to the next step and doing the street car would do just that! Mello also bringing in Bernie Sander's is quite concerning because of the leftist and total government control that Sander's want's. Mello isn't the right choice for Omaha.

Look at Stothert's record for the City of Omaha and look at the record Mello has. Compared with Mello. Sothert is the true winner there. Btw with Stothert bringing in Gov. Walker from WI I think that would be good for him to come he's way better then Sander's.

Maybe since Jean Stothert voted for John McCain this past presidential election he will come here and stump for her :koko: Bernie aint no communist either. Hes a pretty cool old dude who might be our president now had not Hillary rigged and cheated the Democratic primary against him. He almost beat Hillary despite her wicked and underhandedness so you cant blame the guy for thinking he could still be president in 4 years. Right now Bernie is flying by the seat of his pants and earning favors with the Dems so he can tie up a couple of hundred super delegates just like Hillary did. What your watching in Omaha tomorrow is nothing less then one of Bernies first 2020 presidential campaign stops. Right now Bernie knows he aint got a chance in 2020 but maybe if the Russian thing blows up or we get involved in more serious war in the MId East or Trump never gets the Wall built and trump gets tarnished all of a sudden that leaves Bernie in the drivers seat.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Speaking of campaign adds, gotta love the latest one from Mello...the one where he appears to liken any form of streetcar support to the pipe dreams of an eight year old, the one where he says he is going to fix all the roads first and that exorbitant sums of tax payer money have already been wasted and so on. Also, those streetcar props, could they be any more misrepresentational? Well played, but I don't buy it.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
OmahaFan wrote:I was reading these comment's critical of Mayor Sothert. She has done more for this city then any other Mayor has. I'm glad she is my Mayor and I support her 100%. I'm voting for her because of what she brings to the table not her personality. I could care less about her personality. If she can get things done then so be it. I like her vision of Annexing and growing it before the next census. Mello would only hurt Omaha and the business's that reside here in Omaha. Mello would spend the Surplus we currently enjoy on ridiculous project's. Such as trying to make Eppley a international airport. Mello would also increase our taxes when Sothert has given us modest tax decrease's. She is the right choice for Omaha. Also regarding the Street car system that's proposed I fully support it and would like to see it come into existence. Change is scary but sometimes we have to take Omaha to the next step and doing the street car would do just that! Mello also bringing in Bernie Sander's is quite concerning because of the leftist and total government control that Sander's want's. Mello isn't the right choice for Omaha.

Maybe since Jean Stothert voted for John McCain this past presidential election he will come here and stump for her :koko: Bernie aint no communist either. Hes a pretty cool old dude who might be our president now had not Hillary rigged and cheated the Democratic primary against him. He almost beat Hillary despite her wicked and underhandedness so you cant blame the guy for thinking he could still be president in 4 years. Right now Bernie is flying by the seat of his pants and earning favors with the Dems so he can tie up a couple of hundred super delegates just like Hillary did. What your watching in Omaha tomorrow is nothing less then one of Bernies first 2020 presidential campaign stops. Right now Bernie knows he aint got a chance in 2020 but maybe if the Russian thing blows up or we get involved in more serious war in the MId East or Trump never gets the Wall built and trump gets tarnished all of a sudden that leaves Bernie in the drivers seat.

I read your response and I'm honestly scratching my head with your out of touch response. This isn't about the 2020 Presidential election or even Clinton. This is about the future of our city which is important to me and many other people. I really don't think Bernie would sway my vote to Mello at all.
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

omahahawk wrote:Speaking of campaign adds, gotta love the latest one from Mello...the one where he appears to liken any form of streetcar support to the pipe dreams of an eight year old, the one where he says he is going to fix all the roads first and that exorbitant sums of tax payer money have already been wasted and so on. Also, those streetcar props, could they be any more misrepresentational? Well played, but I don't buy it.

He's trying to get the Taylor Royal voters. Taylor was opposed to the street car.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I think the national politicians coming in must target a different demographic than most of us or they're just ill advised. No national political endorsement is going to sway me toward an Omaha mayoral candidate but they could definitely sway me against one.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

OmahaFan wrote:
omahahawk wrote:Speaking of campaign adds, gotta love the latest one from Mello...the one where he appears to liken any form of streetcar support to the pipe dreams of an eight year old, the one where he says he is going to fix all the roads first and that exorbitant sums of tax payer money have already been wasted and so on. Also, those streetcar props, could they be any more misrepresentational? Well played, but I don't buy it.

He's trying to get the Taylor Royal voters. Taylor was opposed to the street car.
He was for the streetcar, then when Stothert pivoted to a vote of the people, he came out against it. Now, he is trying to cover his tracks by making it look like the whole idea was crazy. So we must ask him, are you lying now, or were you just crazy then?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I hate dumbed down political ads such as his latest. What an insult to the intelligence of voters to show a toy streetcar, when in reality, the actual type being proposed is just like the new modern one in KC. How to pay for it is a legitimate concern though...I'll give him that. He should be talking about how he can help make more exciting things happen for Omaha, beyond filling pot-holes, and beyond what Stothert has done. Also, I hate to see the race turn so partisan, seems everything has gone that way now.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

GetUrban wrote:
I hate dumbed down political ads such as his latest. What an insult to the intelligence of voters to show a toy streetcar, when in reality, the actual type being proposed is just like the new modern one in KC. How to pay for it is a legitimate concern though...I'll give him that. He should be talking about how he can help make more exciting things happen for Omaha, beyond filling pot-holes, and beyond what Stothert has done. Also, I hate to see the race turn so partisan, seems everything has gone that way now.
That toy streetcar looks like a one of those tins you get at Christmas time full of candy! :lol: My reasoning was that the day they decided to shoot the commercial that street car was the only thing they could find in local stores and they went with it. They didn't want to take another day or two to wait for a nice modern toy street car to come from the internet.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Now Mayor Jean thinks we need a new library downtown and she will do away with the Restaurant Tax sometime around never. :evil:
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Now Mayor Jean thinks we need a new library downtown and she will do away with the Restaurant Tax sometime around never. :evil:
Mello wont kill it either.

The new library is to me, a curious investment. One that should be voted on by the taxpayers.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

bigredmed wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Now Mayor Jean thinks we need a new library downtown and she will do away with the Restaurant Tax sometime around never. :evil:

The new library is to me, a curious investment. One that should be voted on by the taxpayers.
I'm okay if they don't build a new library but they should go ahead and demo the existing downtown library; it's obsolete. Let someone make better use of that space than what it is currently being used for.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

choke wrote:
bigredmed wrote:

I'm okay if they don't build a new library but they should go ahead and demo the existing downtown library; it's obsolete. Let someone make better use of that space than what it is currently being used for.
Great idea maybe we can use the money on fixing potholes on 214th Street
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Dundeemaha wrote:
choke wrote:
bigredmed wrote:

Great idea maybe we can use the money on fixing potholes on 214th Street
Or getting better streetcars for Mello's kids to play with.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I heard a Mello radio ad on a station I could pick up here around York. The verbs used were interesting. Two notables ones that I could remember were that the ad promised he would "pause" the streetcar project, and "cap" the restaurant tax.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum