2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:45 pm

Stothert helped them dig her grave a little deeper today. That did not look good on TV having Pete Rickets and Scott Walker at her side. Those two characters could almost be guaranteed to create more bad PR then good. All those union protesters at that little practically closed door Republican rich guy whoopdy doo. Yeah that went over like a ton of bricks Jean....nice work :roll:

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2748
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby RNcyanide » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Mello has another streetcar ad out. Is this seriously the defining point of this whole election??
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby bigredmed » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm

RNcyanide wrote:Mello has another streetcar ad out. Is this seriously the defining point of this whole election??


He has to get away from the urbanist hipsters who he was supported by when he was pro streetcar. Now that he discovered math and realized that there were a lot more voters in west Omaha than in Midtown, and they were not at all happy about a streetcar and the attendant bills to go with it, he got religion and now is trying to make the city think its Stothert's fault. Stothert has come out "against" it, with the comment that it should be a vote.

The thing to remember about both of these candidates is that neither has actually said it was a really dumb idea and that we won't be doing it. Just like Mello wants to bleat on about the restaurant tax, but doesn't every want to come straight out and cancel it. Just "cap" it.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9036
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby iamjacobm » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:00 pm

Got an auto call from I assume an old friend of the forum. It was a man shouting "Go to www.jeanstothertsucks.com" Repeates that a few times then complained that the mayor had not worked with him on a certain infamous proposed development on 13th and I80 called Steamboat Plaza and directed you to visit that website.

All signs seem to point to Mort.

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:59 pm

iamjacobm wrote:Got an auto call from I assume an old friend of the forum. It was a man shouting "Go to http://www.jeanstothertsucks.com" Repeates that a few times then complained that the mayor had not worked with him on a certain infamous proposed development on 13th and I80 called Steamboat Plaza and directed you to visit that website.

All signs seem to point to Mort.


Mort is looking to get himself locked up in the looney bin. Something tells me it wouldn't be the first time.

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby Omababe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 am

iamjacobm wrote:All signs seem to point to Mort.


When you said "auto call" I knew it had to be Mort. (The first time I crossed paths with Mort, I was working for an ad agency and he was trying to sell us robo-dialers. This was decades ago.)

Looking at the web site, if you didn't know it was Mort, you did not scroll down. :)

There's another one too http://www.taylorroyalsucks.com/ but I guess that's moot too.

I wonder if there's one out there for Mello? I'm not curious enough to search for it, however.

What kind of caught my attention on the one page (to say those pages are "poorly designed" is to compliment them!) is the title at he very top, one that many people don't pay attention to, reads "ROBERT BAKER - LOW LIFE SCUM IN KETCHUM IDAHO". :)

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby OmahaFan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:34 am

I was reading the comment's and this Mort Sullivan guy is quite funny! I was reading his website for both Taylor Royal and Jean Stothert. Old Mort looks to be ticked off at the Mayor for some half baked idea that he had and apparently she didn't like it so now he's all bent out of shape! Oh Mort you make me laugh. I think the Douglas County Mental Hospital need's to make sure they have all there patient's accounted for though! :mrgreen:

Mort > :type: I'm gonna get her! lol

Btw quick question does mister Sullivan know that the area he is proposing his grand project at is filled with house's? Alot of house's to bulldoze for one Shopping center that we really don't need down there.

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:38 am

Omababe wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:All signs seem to point to Mort.


When you said "auto call" I knew it had to be Mort. (The first time I crossed paths with Mort, I was working for an ad agency and he was trying to sell us robo-dialers. This was decades ago.)

Looking at the web site, if you didn't know it was Mort, you did not scroll down. :)

There's another one too http://www.taylorroyalsucks.com/ but I guess that's moot too.

I wonder if there's one out there for Mello? I'm not curious enough to search for it, however.

What kind of caught my attention on the one page (to say those pages are "poorly designed" is to compliment them!) is the title at he very top, one that many people don't pay attention to, reads "ROBERT BAKER - LOW LIFE SCUM IN KETCHUM IDAHO". :)



Note to the ethically challenged-If you are selling or promoting or even using a robo-dialer you pretty much are a low life scum bag.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby OmahaFan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:27 am

Guess what I found on youtube! Apparently he's famous for his unique Robocalls! Apparently this Robo call was due to a incident at a Golden Corral in Omaha regarding lost keys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKlf0Sz_BV4

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby OmahaFan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:29 am

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Omababe wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:All signs seem to point to Mort.


When you said "auto call" I knew it had to be Mort. (The first time I crossed paths with Mort, I was working for an ad agency and he was trying to sell us robo-dialers. This was decades ago.)

Looking at the web site, if you didn't know it was Mort, you did not scroll down. :)

There's another one too http://www.taylorroyalsucks.com/ but I guess that's moot too.

I wonder if there's one out there for Mello? I'm not curious enough to search for it, however.

What kind of caught my attention on the one page (to say those pages are "poorly designed" is to compliment them!) is the title at he very top, one that many people don't pay attention to, reads "ROBERT BAKER - LOW LIFE SCUM IN KETCHUM IDAHO". :)



Note to the ethically challenged-If you are selling or promoting or even using a robo-dialer you pretty much are a low life scum bag.


Ouch lol

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby Coyote » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:19 am

Most Sullivan owns a few lots on the NW corner of 13th and I-80. None of them are adjoining and he is asking ridiculous prices for. He has some grandiose dreams about that area...
Image

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6430
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:29 pm

This entire 2017 Omaha mayoral campaign/election stinks to high heaven :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby nebugeater » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:This entire 2017 Omaha mayoral campaign/election stinks to high heaven :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace



You do understand that the Omaha Mayoral election has not cornered the market on this I hope!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby OmahaFan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Coyote wrote:Most Sullivan owns a few lots on the NW corner of 13th and I-80. None of them are adjoining and he is asking ridiculous prices for. He has some grandiose dreams about that area...



Didn't know he owned land there. How long ago has he owned it?

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:20 pm

OmahaFan wrote:Guess what I found on youtube! Apparently he's famous for his unique Robocalls! Apparently this Robo call was due to a incident at a Golden Corral in Omaha regarding lost keys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKlf0Sz_BV4


The one on 72nd only had about 10-14 people in it at 12 noon last week. It was looking a tad gnarly. Mort aint going to have to worry about that Golden Coral much longer. Mort lost his keys :lol: He sounds senile for sure :lol:

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby Coyote » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:21 pm

OmahaFan wrote:
Coyote wrote:Most Sullivan owns a few lots on the NW corner of 13th and I-80. None of them are adjoining and he is asking ridiculous prices for. He has some grandiose dreams about that area...



Didn't know he owned land there. How long ago has he owned it?

Not sure, but here is his vision:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (146.35 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
Image

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2395
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby jessep28 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:26 pm

I found seven parcels through the assessor owned by, "SOUTH THIRTEENTH ST PROPERTIES," which crosses with Sullivan as the registered agent. The lots are all spread out too. They are the faint yellow dots.

Image
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby Coyote » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:48 pm

jessep28 wrote:I found seven parcels through the assessor owned by, "SOUTH THIRTEENTH ST PROPERTIES," which crosses with Sullivan as the registered agent. The lots are all spread out too. They are the faint yellow dots.

Yes, those divergent properties are his... Not like he owns critical properties for his project...
Image

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby OmahaFan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:54 am

Looking at the property he own's he has got some nice tree's on his land. I noticed most of the dots are just Tree's no flat big piece's of land. I wonder how much he paid for those lands? I wonder if he's the reason why there is no road connecting to the neighborhood? Mort Sullivan seems like a interesting and unique person that's for sure. I never even heard of Mort Sullivan before this thread and I'm glad I did it surely make's me chuckle.
Last edited by OmahaFan on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby OmahaFan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:11 am

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
OmahaFan wrote:Guess what I found on youtube! Apparently he's famous for his unique Robocalls! Apparently this Robo call was due to a incident at a Golden Corral in Omaha regarding lost keys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKlf0Sz_BV4


The one on 72nd only had about 10-14 people in it at 12 noon last week. It was looking a tad gnarly. Mort aint going to have to worry about that Golden Coral much longer. Mort lost his keys :lol: He sounds senile for sure :lol:



Poor Mort lost his keys and his mind! Got onto his Faxtel 2000 and Robocall the heck out of the Golden Corral's manager's neighbor's. I'm sure the poor guy had a lot of his neighbor's asking what this crazy guy is talking about "Lost key's" and stuff. Also to remind you the fight is supposed to be still going on since it will last "10 year's"! Oh Mort you keep fighting for those lost key's! Also from reading his website he sure does hold a lot of opinions about subject's then again I think it's a legal way he found out where he can do what he's doing without having people file harassment charge's against him.

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby Omababe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:51 am

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Note to the ethically challenged- If you are selling or promoting or even using a robo-dialer you pretty much are a low life scum bag.


Back in those days a competing agency did take Mort up on an in-house demo of one of those machines. (I was told this first hand by someone at that agency.) This was long before robo calls were commonly known. That agency used it on a campaign for some local politician, and they made the local news when one night it was misprogrammed and woke up quite a few people with a political announcement.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby OmahaFan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Omababe wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Note to the ethically challenged- If you are selling or promoting or even using a robo-dialer you pretty much are a low life scum bag.


Back in those days a competing agency did take Mort up on an in-house demo of one of those machines. (I was told this first hand by someone at that agency.) This was long before robo calls were commonly known. That agency used it on a campaign for some local politician, and they made the local news when one night it was misprogrammed and woke up quite a few people with a political announcement.



You know Mort is probably going to be coming on here and reading all this stuff and he's going to make a special website for this Forum. Omahaforumssucks.com. With special attention paid to GrandpaSmucker. lol :lol:

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2395
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby jessep28 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Sullivan was a member here at one point, but he didn't play nice and was ejected.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:24 pm

jessep28 wrote:Sullivan was a member here at one point, but he didn't play nice and was ejected.


I never knew of Mort until the reports I'm reading recently. All I know is that Mort is robo calling people talking a bunch of trash and that he has a web site giving out Mayor Jeans address and all her neighbors addresses. Those 2 things alone in most peoples book would qualify Mort as a first class son of a |expletive|.

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:56 pm

So the front page of the World Herald today had a guy on it all riled up about the bad street in front of his house. That alone has to be worth a few votes for Mello on election day. The newspaper is supposedly neutral but since when have papers not been sticking their noses in elections. I wonder if Buffet is still smarting over the crow he had to eat backing Hillary? I think Buffet might want to see his team win this Mayoral race. Buffet or his daughter is almost certainly back in the shadows pulling strings to help Mello. Stothert like Hillary thinks she has this thing in the bag and she could not be more wrong.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21081
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby Coyote » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:20 pm

Last night Jean Stothert spoke at a Mode Shift Omaha meeting and this is what a friend wrote about it:

Last night Mode Shift Omaha hosted Jean Stothert for our monthly member meeting. Apparently she had her staff call ahead and speak with the head of the UNO CEC center about some protest she was scared of. Of course there was no anti-Jean protest or anything aside from completely respectful dialogue. She was escorted by her husband, one of her campaign staff members and 2 plain clothes police officers (which she pointed out during introductions when they just said their names and not their affiliation).

She came to talk about her views and goals with transportation in Omaha; at the end there was a Q&A and I asked her a few questions. While she was speaking about the ALAC committee that she formed, she touted that 3 out of 4 recommendations the group had brought up were implemented. (Wow! I'd certainly heard nothing of this before. Mark, have you?) She also talked about how great our Complete Streets Policy is (which was technically adopted over a year ago) and how it's currently in effect and being implemented already. (Even though the manual still is not a done deal.)

So, those were the points I was curious about; first I asked her what ALAC recommendations they moved forward with and which one they didn't. She kind of thought for a while and couldn't come up with anything. I asked for even just one example. Nothing. Said she'd have to get back to me on that. Secondly, I asked what examples of the Complete Streets work has been implemented. Again, no answer; also said she'd get back to me. I asked her if she had my email, she said that Cassie did, and then I gave her a card to make sure that she had it. I told her I'd look forward to her email with the examples that she couldn't come up with on the spot.

It's shocking to me that she would be so proud of these two accomplishments yet have ZERO examples of what she's talking about (likely because they don't exist).
Image

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby OmahaFan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:25 am

Coyote wrote:Last night Jean Stothert spoke at a Mode Shift Omaha meeting and this is what a friend wrote about it:

Last night Mode Shift Omaha hosted Jean Stothert for our monthly member meeting. Apparently she had her staff call ahead and speak with the head of the UNO CEC center about some protest she was scared of. Of course there was no anti-Jean protest or anything aside from completely respectful dialogue. She was escorted by her husband, one of her campaign staff members and 2 plain clothes police officers (which she pointed out during introductions when they just said their names and not their affiliation).

She came to talk about her views and goals with transportation in Omaha; at the end there was a Q&A and I asked her a few questions. While she was speaking about the ALAC committee that she formed, she touted that 3 out of 4 recommendations the group had brought up were implemented. (Wow! I'd certainly heard nothing of this before. Mark, have you?) She also talked about how great our Complete Streets Policy is (which was technically adopted over a year ago) and how it's currently in effect and being implemented already. (Even though the manual still is not a done deal.)

So, those were the points I was curious about; first I asked her what ALAC recommendations they moved forward with and which one they didn't. She kind of thought for a while and couldn't come up with anything. I asked for even just one example. Nothing. Said she'd have to get back to me on that. Secondly, I asked what examples of the Complete Streets work has been implemented. Again, no answer; also said she'd get back to me. I asked her if she had my email, she said that Cassie did, and then I gave her a card to make sure that she had it. I told her I'd look forward to her email with the examples that she couldn't come up with on the spot.

It's shocking to me that she would be so proud of these two accomplishments yet have ZERO examples of what she's talking about (likely because they don't exist).


Jean Stothert is way better then Mello. She might bit off more then she could chew here with touting stuff and if she did get it wrong she should offer a apology. I'm satisfied though with what Stothert is doing for the City of Omaha. This won't change my vote for her.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby OmahaFan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:31 am

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:So the front page of the World Herald today had a guy on it all riled up about the bad street in front of his house. That alone has to be worth a few votes for Mello on election day. The newspaper is supposedly neutral but since when have papers not been sticking their noses in elections. I wonder if Buffet is still smarting over the crow he had to eat backing Hillary? I think Buffet might want to see his team win this Mayoral race. Buffet or his daughter is almost certainly back in the shadows pulling strings to help Mello. Stothert like Hillary thinks she has this thing in the bag and she could not be more wrong.


I disagree with your assessment that Mayor Stothert think's she has this election in the bag. She's campaigning hard and let's not forget she is the Mayor so she has a lot on her plate already. Regarding the World herald, the newspaper does have liberal leaning views on subject's and I sometime's question some of their stories they run regarding the Mayoral election. Seems they put more negative stories about Stothert in then they do about Mello. I really don't know why people would want to vote for Mello. He's going to get this city in some High debt and we are going to suffer because of that. Currently the City Omaha has a nice little surplus and I would like to see that grow. Mello to me just want's to spend money and focus on the inner city. We should focus on the Inner city but we are growing out in West Omaha and I think we need to pay more attention out there with attracting business's and stuff and moving the city's population to 500,000 or more before the 2020 Census.

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby bigredmed » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:18 pm

OmahaFan wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:So the front page of the World Herald today had a guy on it all riled up about the bad street in front of his house. That alone has to be worth a few votes for Mello on election day. The newspaper is supposedly neutral but since when have papers not been sticking their noses in elections. I wonder if Buffet is still smarting over the crow he had to eat backing Hillary? I think Buffet might want to see his team win this Mayoral race. Buffet or his daughter is almost certainly back in the shadows pulling strings to help Mello. Stothert like Hillary thinks she has this thing in the bag and she could not be more wrong.


I disagree with your assessment that Mayor Stothert think's she has this election in the bag. She's campaigning hard and let's not forget she is the Mayor so she has a lot on her plate already. Regarding the World herald, the newspaper does have liberal leaning views on subject's and I sometime's question some of their stories they run regarding the Mayoral election. Seems they put more negative stories about Stothert in then they do about Mello. I really don't know why people would want to vote for Mello. He's going to get this city in some High debt and we are going to suffer because of that. Currently the City Omaha has a nice little surplus and I would like to see that grow. Mello to me just want's to spend money and focus on the inner city. We should focus on the Inner city but we are growing out in West Omaha and I think we need to pay more attention out there with attracting business's and stuff and moving the city's population to 500,000 or more before the 2020 Census.


We should especially not spend cent one down town, till we figure out what we want down town to be. A commercial hub, a neighborhood, an entertainment district? All these have different needs and we need to focus our resources in the direction we want to go.

I think the current mayor has done a reasonably good job and deserves reelection. I worry that both are now beholden to the parties and will cost us in the long run. Bringing these guys in (especially as polarizing as both are) was likely not a good idea, though it might work for Mello. Given that the larger democrat party has denounced him for the sin of not being pro-abortion, not sure if this will be a net gain for him.

He has lost my vote with the flip flop on the streetcar. I am rabidly against it, but he was for it, and then suddenly against it. His debate performance over the past couple of days were a complete lost opportunity. He should have said that he was for redevelopment, and supported the streetcar, but as he reviewed the finances, made a decision that it was not fundable under current conditions. Instead, he claimed to be "listening to the people". In the first answer, he would have seemed sober in his judgement and in the second, he seems to be trying to weasel a bit.

Democrat Mayors do have a big disadvantage in that the last two (Suttle and Fahey) didn't appear to give a homeless guy's infected backside about anything west of Dundee. As I don't live in the annointed land of the cool kids, I just get to pay for the toys of the cool kids. My folks live in a working class area of Millard. Suttle tore out their neighborhood pool. He was at a meeting and when my dad asked about where the kids are going to swim, Suttle looked him in the eye and with a straight face, said that this neighborhood was rich and the kids could swim at the country club.
Going to not vote democrat for a long while after those two.

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby HR Paperstacks » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:40 pm

I was on the fence before but after bringing in Scott Walker, my mind is made up. The last thing we need is to be more like Wisconsin.

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1898
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby GetUrban » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:15 am

bigredmed wrote:
We should especially not spend cent one down town, till we figure out what we want down town to be. A commercial hub, a neighborhood, an entertainment district? All these have different needs and we need to focus our resources in the direction we want to go.


The fact is, downtown already is a commercial hub, a neighborhood, and an entertainment district. The only thing it's lacking is the retail shopping it once had. But retail is suffering everywhere except the outlet malls. Omaha is a big enough metropolitan area to support the 3 activities both downtown and in the suburbs. I don't understand people who don't see any value in having a strong urban core even if they choose not to live, work, or play there. Resources are allocated everywhere in the city, they just have to be spread out further geographically in less dense areas. It just seems like your not getting your far share because it's spread thinner out there.

Most of the money spent creating commerce, residential, and entertainment development is private money. It goes where potential profit is highest. TIF money isn't only flowing downtown anymore.

Sorry to get off-track on the mayor discussion. I'm just tired of hearing anti-downtown rhetoric. We can still have both a strong downtown and happy suburbanites. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

bbinks
Human Relations
Posts: 696
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby bbinks » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:29 am

HR Paperstacks wrote:I was on the fence before but after bringing in Scott Walker, my mind is made up. The last thing we need is to be more like Wisconsin.


I was the same. Until socialist Sanders showed up.

Professor Woland
Library Board
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby Professor Woland » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:06 pm

It looks like the OWH has endorsed Stothert for a second term.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby OmahaFan » Mon May 01, 2017 6:25 am

I'm really happy that the OWH endorsed and support's Mayor Sothert in her re election campaign. She is what the city need's! Fully support her and encourage other's to show their support as well! She's a good Mayor.
Last edited by OmahaFan on Mon May 01, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Mon May 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Professor Woland wrote:It looks like the OWH has endorsed Stothert for a second term.



I believe the Omaha World Herald's endorsement of Mayor Jean should help her about as much as it did Hillary. In short.....however much it helps Stothert its not going to be enough to save her from going down in defeat.

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Sat May 06, 2017 10:37 pm

NO CARS CITYWIDE :P

User avatar
RNcyanide
Planning Board
Posts: 2748
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:37 am
Location: Chalco

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby RNcyanide » Mon May 08, 2017 1:07 pm

The Associated Press ran an article on Heath Mello's campaign, focusing on his record as a pro life Democrat and how that fits in with some of the differing opinions from DNC chair Perez and HML Pelosi. It didn't really reveal anything we don't already know but I guess it's fun to see our name out there.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6270
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby nebugeater » Mon May 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Well I know Mello will not be getting my vote!!!!

Of course that has more to do with me living in Gretna than anything. :;):
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Mon May 08, 2017 4:25 pm

RNcyanide wrote:The Associated Press ran an article on Heath Mello's campaign, focusing on his record as a pro life Democrat and how that fits in with some of the differing opinions from DNC chair Perez and HML Pelosi. It didn't really reveal anything we don't already know but I guess it's fun to see our name out there.


As Trump showed the Republican party is full of people that are fed up with the Republican Establishment. Stothert is the embodiment of the Republican Establishment and many Repubs are tired of her. Problem is some of those unhappy Republicans could never vote for a baby killer. Mello quite wisely has removed the baby killer obstacle. I don't think Mello's abortion stance will be the reason he wins but it will win him a few votes.

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2118
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: 2017 Omaha Mayoral Election

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Mon May 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Oy. Stothert seems a bit near-sited as far as city development goes, but appears to have a solid grasp on the fact that there's two omahas, divided at 72nd Street, and recognizes many of the varying needs, desires and issues. Mello seems to understand city development a little more and the issues at play, but also seems willing to say whatever will get him elected - "I love the street car!"..."I hate the street car!" - dude. Chill. Middle ground, man. Middle ground. Maybe you kinda like the street car but in a platonic way and you want to see other transit options?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert


Return to “Omaha Metro Area Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest