Omaha City Firefighter Salaries

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Omaha City Firefighter Salaries

Post by Linkin5 »

OWH has published salaries for public employees in 2015, one of the more shocking figures was the 124 Omaha firefighters that make over $100,000/yr.

Becoming a firefighter requires no college education and is a highly desirable job with benefits, what kind of corruptness is going on that ONE HUNDRED TWENTY FOUR Omaha firefighters are getting paid 100K or more? I know this was one of Stothert's issues she said she would work on during her compaign and she was basically strong armed by the union and had shirts made of her on a stripper pole.

Here is the link:

http://dataomaha.com/salaries/2015/omaha
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Re: Omaha City Firefighter Salaries

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Linkin5 wrote:OWH has published salaries for public employees in 2015, one of the more shocking figures was the 124 Omaha firefighters that make over $100,000/yr.

Becoming a firefighter requires no college education and is a highly desirable job with benefits, what kind of corruptness is going on that ONE HUNDRED TWENTY FOUR Omaha firefighters are getting paid 100K or more? I know this was one of Stothert's issues she said she would work on during her compaign and she was basically strong armed by the union and had shirts made of her on a stripper pole.

Here is the link:

That is depressing in so many ways. 201 million dollar annual payroll is one big pile of money to have to come up with year in and year out. I bet we could save at least 50-75 million a year if we Drained the Swamp.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Linkin5 wrote:OWH has published salaries for public employees in 2015, one of the more shocking figures was the 124 Omaha firefighters that make over $100,000/yr.

Here is the link:

How does this compare to other cities our size? Yeah, the stripper pole shirt. And Jerram was holding one up smiling for the camera. I will never figure women out. First Jerram and then Trump with the misogyny. I don't know how any woman could vote for either of them but maybe women are just used to the sexual harassment and shrug it off.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

choke wrote:

Here is the link:

How does this compare to other cities our size? Yeah, the stripper pole shirt. And Jerram was holding one up smiling for the camera. I will never figure women out. First Jerram and then Trump with the misogyny. I don't know how any woman could vote for either of them but maybe women are just used to the sexual harassment and shrug it off.
Albuquerque is almost the same size as Omaha, they have 13 firefighters making over 100K.
http://cognospublic.cabq.gov/cabqcognos ... 34D5F46206
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Also, just to be clear I am not anti union or firefighter. There is just something very wrong with 124 firefighters making over 100K in any city, especially one the size of Omaha.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

There's probably non-cash compensation in those figures like insurance and the city's contribution to their pension. Firefighters are highly trained, especially the paramedics, and their job is high risk, so I don't have an issue with a municipality compensating them fairly.

What irritates the he-ll out of me is that the upper level command officers can "retire" after 20 years or whatever the minimum service requirement is to draw a pension, take a command position at another agency for a similar pay level, and still draw a full city pension from Omaha. That's unfair in my opinion. Pension payouts should be deferred or reduced by current wages if public service workers pull stunts like that.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

jessep28 wrote:There's probably non-cash compensation in those figures like insurance and the city's contribution to their pension. Firefighters are highly trained, especially the paramedics, and their job is high risk, so I don't have an issue with a municipality compensating them fairly.

What irritates the he-ll out of me is that the upper level command officers can "retire" after 20 years or whatever the minimum service requirement is to draw a pension, take a command position at another agency for a similar pay level, and still draw a full city pension from Omaha. That's unfair in my opinion. Pension payouts should be deferred or reduced by current wages if public service workers pull stunts like that.
How are they more highly trained than a city attorney or any other position that required a degree?

It seems you have an issue with government pension, that's not gonna change.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Linkin5 wrote:
jessep28 wrote:There's probably non-cash compensation in those figures like insurance and the city's contribution to their pension. Firefighters are highly trained, especially the paramedics, and their job is high risk, so I don't have an issue with a municipality compensating them fairly.

How are they more highly trained than a city attorney or any other position that required a degree?

It seems you have an issue with government pension, that's not gonna change.

It has to change. At some point there is little difference between these Fireman and those greedy Goodwill Execs and Managers. These people are passing themselves off as honorable and decent and self giving while at the same time they are sucking off a huge disproportionate piece of the pie at the sacrifice of others.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube][/youtube]