Gretna Annexation

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Re: Gretna Annexation

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

OmahaFan wrote:Secondly Gretna would be a great addition to Omaha and would give it access to the vital I-80 corridor.
...you realize that corridor already goes through the middle of Omaha, right? Are you thinking in terms of businesses that often base themselves adjacent to interstates? If so, why?
Thirdly this is premature and all hypothetical here but it would be nice if Omaha was given the power to Annex across county lines. It would benefit Omaha and the State. By allowing Omaha to grow it would provide more tax dollars for inner city services while also cutting taxes for everyone.
I think you're looking at this a little too simplistically. infrastructure is expensive. Providing services for a spread out area is also expensive. Incomes on the edges of Omaha tend to be higher than the inner city, but so is the cost of providing services at the level of density which people living in these areas exist. Annexation doesn't make it rain on city coffers as much as you might think
There’s 3 big cities in Sarpy one has got to go.
What for? If they are run efficiently by themselves, there's no need to get rid of any. Most urban areas have a system of contiguous suburbs that exist in harmony and are run efficiently.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I would put the likelihood of the state leg changing the annexation laws to go over county lines at about .00001%. Just about every state senator out of city proper Omaha would be against that and probably state senators in suburban Omaha as well.

I don't see a big need for it. We as a region seem to do a pretty good job of working collaboratively rather than trying to leach jobs from one municipality to the next like KC deals with.

Omaha will eventually annex Bennington and Waterloo, by the time they reach Valley merging with Douglas county will probably be feasible and that will be all she wrote for Omaha annexation.

The big fights over the next 25 years will be in Sarpy County, especially with the new sewer capabilities going in south of the ridge line there will be big land grabs.

Another interesting one over the next decade will be to see if development picks up in NE Lincoln and approaches Waverly if they go after that town.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

I live in a Sarpy SID with a Mill Levy of 2.89% and I would not want to be part of Omaha. Yes my taxes would go down $2,000 or so but so would the quality services I have come to expect. One day hopefully Gretna will annex my neighborhood and I will be fine with that. My only Sarpy complaint is that they have not paved a lot of the roads between 168th to 204th, Highway 370 to Harrison.
dave1215
Home Owners Association

Post by dave1215 »

iamjacobm wrote:The big fights over the next 25 years will be in Sarpy County, especially with the new sewer capabilities going in south of the ridge line there will be big land grabs.
Actually there should be minimal fighting over the next 25 years as formal boundary agreements are in place in most places.
Papillion, Bellevue and LaVista signed a full one in the late '70s or early 80s.
LaVista and Gretna have a permanent one
Gretna and Springfield established one late '90s or early 2000s
Papillion and Gretna did a partial one about 6-7 years ago (line down the middle of the interstate to about 180th)
Papillion and Springfield put a complete one earlier in the year.
The only spot without one is between Gretna and Papillion south of 180th around where the County shows a future 192nd street interchange (where Gretna started their annexation but the County filed the lawsuit)

So once that final spot around 192nd/I80 gets resolved there are no more areas in all of Sarpy County that are without boundary agreements.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

dave1215 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:The big fights over the next 25 years will be in Sarpy County, especially with the new sewer capabilities going in south of the ridge line there will be big land grabs.
Actually there should be minimal fighting over the next 25 years as formal boundary agreements are in place in most places.
Papillion, Bellevue and LaVista signed a full one in the late '70s or early 80s.
LaVista and Gretna have a permanent one
Gretna and Springfield established one late '90s or early 2000s
Papillion and Gretna did a partial one about 6-7 years ago (line down the middle of the interstate to about 180th)
Papillion and Springfield put a complete one earlier in the year.
The only spot without one is between Gretna and Papillion south of 180th around where the County shows a future 192nd street interchange (where Gretna started their annexation but the County filed the lawsuit)

So once that final spot around 192nd/I80 gets resolved there are no more areas in all of Sarpy County that are without boundary agreements.
I’d be curious to see what these boundary agreements are mapped out. I also wonder if at some point another city could form and throw a wrench in things
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

dave1215 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote: Papillion and Gretna did a partial one about 6-7 years ago (line down the middle of the interstate to about 180th)

This is on Papillion's current Agenda. It goes all the to about 200th Street.

" C.2.
Comprehensive Plan Amendment
A Comprehensive Plan Amendment to amend the Future Land Use Map to adopt future land use designations for the 156th Street and Capehart Road Sub-Area. Said Sub-Area has a northern boundary of Capehart Road, an eastern boundary of 156th Street, a southern boundary of Platteview Road, and a western boundary of 204th Street, excluding the City of Gretna's extraterritorial jurisdiction as depicted on the Sarpy County Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use Map, revised date of September 9, 2017. The applicant is the City of Papillion. (156th Street and Capehart Road Sub-Area FLU Map Amendment) CPA-17-0006"

https://www.papillion.org/AgendaCenter/ ... ?html=true
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Just heard on the Radio that Sarpy Co dropped their lawsuit on this.

Guessing that there will be an boundary agreement soon and this will move forward with some minor tweaks from what the original plan was. Most likely the boundary will be I80 and the piece across I80 that Gretna had it their plan will be dropped from it.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

dave1215
Home Owners Association

Post by dave1215 »

nebugeater wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:32 am Just heard on the Radio that Sarpy Co dropped their lawsuit on this.

Guessing that there will be an boundary agreement soon and this will move forward with some minor tweaks from what the original plan was. Most likely the boundary will be I80 and the piece across I80 that Gretna had it their plan will be dropped from it.
Sarpy County did file suit again shortly after that against Gretna.
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/sarpy-c ... 663cb.html
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Here's the official city limits of Gretna after their big (and slightly controversial) annexation. I got the map from the city's website. The newly annexed portion is in green.

Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:13 am Here's the official city limits of Gretna after their big (and slightly controversial) annexation. I got the map from the city's website. The newly annexed portion is in green.

This looks like a gerrymandered district now haha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lakeview in Gretna
Vantage Design & Construction has lots available for your new home at Lakeview, a new sub-division in Gretna, NE.

Vantage Design & Construction is located in Gretna, NE and has been in business since 2008. Our services include building genuine custom homes, renovating lofts and condos, remodeling services, room additions, decks, adding outdoor living spaces and more. You can count on Vantage Design & Construction for not only delivering the highest level of craftsmanship and attention to detail but also by using quality materials while staying within your budget.