Omaha Mayoral Discussion

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I find that ironic that when Daub and Fahey were running against each other that Daub had disbanded the unit that specifically focused on gangs while Fahey was pushing to reinstate it. So which is it Hal?

Maybe it's just me but I don't think the crime problem is as out of hand as people make it out to be.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:I find that ironic that when Daub and Fahey were running against each other that Daub had disbanded the unit that specifically focused on gangs while Fahey was pushing to reinstate it. So which is it Hal?
Wasn't even thinking about living in Omaha at that time, so I can't comment.
Maybe it's just me but I don't think the crime problem is as out of hand as people make it out to be.
Highest number of homicides in several years begs to differ, particularly when you look at where they were concentrated.  In fairness, warped interpretation of the 2nd Amendment has just as much (if not more) to do with that, but it is hard to ignore 44 homicides.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Gang Unit: Daub got rid of the unit saying that it was just duplication of work the regular police should already be doing. Fahey wanted to keep them in saying it was worth the cost to have the extra attention given to gang activity. Ultimately I don't remember what happened with it but it was a significant campaign issue.

Now as far as murders it takes a different approach for each case and a "gang czar" isn't going to fix it.

- Now if it's like a robbery murder like at the Kwik Shop this weekend, nothing is going to stop that. The shooters didn't know the victim and it could have been anyone and any store shot. I suppose increased security measures on the part of the store (Lighting, cameras, certain amounts in drawers, locked safes etc) would be more a deterrent than some gang unit of the police force. I'd imagine that most of these crimes are more about getting quick cash to get high with than some organized crime fund raising.

- That kid and his nanny that got killed in Dundee; I'm guessing the kid and nanny weren't in gangs and that was something done by someone who knows the family with some personal vendetta.

Now as far as specific crimes/murders related to gangs, that is something the police/law can have some impact even if it is minor. Many gang killings are related to drugs. (Now I'm not going to go into the whole war on drugs because that is a completely different subject.) If some deal goes bad and someone shoots and kills someone their is always going to be some sort of retaliation and it does happen to be murder on occasion.

State Senator Ashford actually is introducing a bill that would probably do more than any recent effort to curb gang violence. The bill would hire former ex-cons who have reformed and severed their time to act as liaisons to go between the gangs and work out deals to end retaliatory shootings. Similar efforts in other cities have shown this to be effective in dealing with inter-gang violence. Are you ever going to stop it? No, but you can curb it a little.

But you can thank your butt fukcingly dumb governor Dave Heinemen for already making plans to squash this bill. He doesn't think that hiring felons is "the right thing to do". Well maybe he can take his old white a$$ down to 30th and Parker and work out an effective cease fire between these gangs himself. Or he can keep sending the police officers into the situations who are distrusted by people and don't have an inside track on the gang activities like an ex reformed gang community member. Just a thought.

So while we are currently in a "crime wave" it may not be as bad as it's hyped up to be. It's easy to point at a murder number and say the sky is falling but not all of those murders are gang related or have the same motives and circumstances behind them. I would actually be more interested if they released a gang murder only tally as opposed to the one lump sum total. That would be a better indicator of crime going up.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:So while we are currently in a "crime wave" it may not be as bad as it's hyped up to be. It's easy to point at a murder number and say the sky is falling but not all of those murders are gang related or have the same motives and circumstances behind them. I would actually be more interested if they released a gang murder only tally as opposed to the one lump sum total. That would be a better indicator of crime going up.
Agreed.  BUT...

...there was an article recently (I think it was the one summarizing the 44 homicides, with map) that basically said that the police don't "officially" call these homicides gang related until the crime is "solved", and then they gave the definition of "solved" - which didn't include a requirement for a conviction, and it may not have even required an arrest (don't quote me on that, the details are fuzzy and I can't find the article).  Basically, they considered it "solved" if they think they have enough info to issue a warrant.  Nevermind actually finding, arresting or convicting that person.

There was also someone quoted in the article saying that while the OPD might officially call ±20% of the homicides gang related, the reality is likely closer to 75% (again, don't hold me to the fire on those numbers).
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I imagine their is a lot of padding of the numbers and half truths. I didn't see the article you referenced but I would like to. If I had to put money on it I would say that the % of gang related murders is closer to 75% than 20%. You hear about a lot more drive bys with a "black male suspect between the ages of 18-45" than you do the Jessica O'Gradys getting impaled with a sword by her boyfriend.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Found it:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10527802
Of the 44 homicides, police consider 11 to be gang-related, meaning some kind of gang activity likely was the motivation behind the slaying. Sixteen homicides involved a victim or a suspect who was a gang member, Buske said.

Hank Robinson, director of the University of Nebraska at Omaha's Juvenile Justice Institute, said he suspects that number is low. His research into shootings in Omaha found that 60 percent to 70 percent had a gang connection.
As of Dec. 29, Buske said, police had logged 223 shootings, compared with 217 by the same date in 2007. The numbers reflect gun assaults in which someone was shot or investigators determined that a person was targeted by gunfire.
Now, I would consider "targeted by gunfire" to be an "attempted homicide", so apparently our gang members' aim got better year over year or the ambulances got slower...
A police spokesman said a homicide is considered "solved" if a person is in custody or an arrest warrant has been issued for someone who evidence shows was responsible for the homicide.
And, of course, there's always the "its just them shooting each other factor":
A large concentration of the homicides occurred in the northeast part of the city — north of Dodge Street and east of 42nd Street. That can lead to complacency on the part of city residents who live outside those neighborhoods, said City Prosecutor Marty Conboy.

"Since so many Omahans aren't in the line of fire, it doesn't have the same sense of urgency," he said.
Map: (sorry, couldn't get it to embed)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... f6707&z=12
Last edited by Big E on Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That last line in your qoute is pretty telling. It seems that since some of the craziness has spread to other (whiter) parts of Omaha that all of a sudden we are in a crisis and god dam it something needs to be done. :roll:
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:That last line in your qoute is pretty telling. It seems that since some of the craziness has spread to other (whiter) parts of Omaha that all of a sudden we are in a crisis and god dam it something needs to be done. :roll:
Hey, I've been crawling all over this issue on here for a couple of years while being told how big a dumbass I am.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

We were calling you a dumbass for other reasons silly.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10529952

"You're tough on crime?  Hey, I'm tough on crime, too.  How do you know? I said so!"
With Omaha recording the most homicides in recent memory last year, violent crime is shaping up to be a central issue of the city's mayoral race.

Three top candidates for mayor - Hal Daub, Jim Suttle and Jim Vokal - all say they have plans to curb the violence, especially crimes that are gang-related.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

|expletive|. That's exactly what I don't want to see happen. A bunch of chest beating over "rising crime". There are bigger ($$$) issues facing this city than a bunch of drug dealers shooting each other.
DTO
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Yeah, hiring some other suit at the PD is going to help...  Nice politician BS Hal.  Next.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well - I just saw my first Mayoral Candidate commercial - Jim Vokal - his message - we need to get tough on gang violence.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Dan Welch has dropped out of the race as per Omaha.com.  Go find the link your damn self.

Link inserted by moderator - LAZY A$$

Welch out of race for mayor

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10532701
Robynn Tysver wrote:Omaha Council President Dan Welch is not running for mayor

The 39-year-old attorney said today that he has "professional obligations" that would make it very difficult for him to run for the city's top job.

Welch had been mulling a bid for months. His decision means that the race essentially boils down to three major candidates: Republicans Jim Vokal and Hal Daub and Democrat Jim Suttle.
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Coyote wrote:Well - I just saw my first Mayoral Candidate commercial - Jim Vokal - his message - we need to get tough on gang violence.
I saw that one today.  I'm terrified.  Why yesterday I saw a youth in baggy pants at Village Pointe.  He seemed to be from some overweight camp, Phat Farm or something, but I bet he was part of a gang.  I'm so glad we have the suddenly aware candidates to point out our fears and needs.  They even used big text in his ad - it must be of sudden vital importance.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Saw another Vokal ad on the news this evening. HIs wife is telling us that he is a swell guy - and - Its All About the Kids!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Saw another Vokal ad on the news this evening. HIs wife is telling us that he is a swell guy - and - Its All About the Kids!
:roll: oh no... here we go again
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

...i'm glad that someone thought of the children.
Go Cubs Go
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Really?  The kids?  So what terrible idea is he promoting because every time I hear that trotted out its to justify something ridiculous.  

:roll:

I am so NOT looking forward to this election.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

What about those of us without children? Should I think about other people's children? I just don't feel right doing that.

I'm not looking forward to it either. I hope Hal makes it only because I think he'll keep development moving forward and not get to wrapped up in the other "sky is falling" issues as much as the other candidates.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Jim Vokal can lick my nuts.

He is the |expletive| DT/Midtown city councilman and apparently he doesn't know what his own district looks like. His campaign logo has a backwards skyline (as viewed looking west). The had a not so subtle subliminal message flash of "Crime spreading to suburbs". Well as one of the inner city councilman I guess you're part to blame for this unacceptable spread of crime to the poor, unsuspecting suburban areas.

Then all the rhetorical "Families kids families kids" |expletive| nonsense. :barf:
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

DTO Luv wrote:Jim Vokal can lick my nuts.
You're reading from the Kanye playbook again, aren't you...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Read it? I wrote it. :)
DTO
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

:shock:

that's a helluva rant.  I don't know why, but it made me think of the SNL skit with Chris Farley trying out columbian decaffeinated coffee crystals. :)

Go Cubs Go
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

nebport5 wrote:

On the other hand, talking about the children and crime may be just the right kind of pandering that plays to the conservative base(that is the unfortunate majority) which just might get him elected.  Talking about streetcars and public transit to the average Omaha voter is scary and all they hear is TAXES!!

Maybe I'll run for office too, only I'm going to propose a 'fear tax'.  We'll put a tax on everyone's fear, creating a windfall of revenue and thus will end this recession and stimulate growth.
So far there isn't any difference in the amount of fear/children pandering from any of the candidates so there's no way to tell them apart on other issues other than Hal.
DTO
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

i just checked out the web sites for the candidates and yes, there's not much beside the usual hollow and vague speech.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have to head to work and deal with a bunch of Drunk Pittsburgh Stealer fans, if someone can send me the list of people running for mayor, I can update the poll tomorrow.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad wrote:I have to head to work and deal with a bunch of Drunk Pittsburgh Stealer fans, if someone can send me the list of people running for mayor, I can update the poll tomorrow.
Hey Brad, being into law enforcement like I am, how do you feel Daub being re-elected? IIRC, he had a great relationship with the police department and I know the OPD Helicopter division came online during his time in office.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

This guy is a |expletive| whacko! Watch his videos. They are hilarious. I love the racist under (well maybe over) tones. Apparently if you can rant about things on youtube you can be Mayor of a major US city.

http://www.changeforomaha.com/
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Jesus Christ! Did you proof read this guy's site Brad?

-Create new Crime ZAR (Um...it's Czar)
-Have very candidate conversation with current police chief Do you mean candid conversation? :lol:
-Create a special unit that’s sol propose is to stop violent crime, with time and goal based results. Sole purpose retard
-Police offers assigned to area must live in the area. First off dumba$$ it's OFFICERS. Second what's the point of having officers work the areas they live? What if there is a disproportionate amount of officers living in the areas that would benefit from police patrol but they all have to patrol their subdivision out west? Retarded.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Just saw another Vokal commercial. The first thing out of his mouth on crime prevention was "church" so I'm done with him. I checked his site out and it's all fluff. Also why do politicians feel the need to brag about what church they go to? All that says to me is that you're a sheep.
DTO
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

DTO Luv wrote:-Police offers assigned to area must live in the area. First off dumba$$ it's OFFICERS. Second what's the point of having officers work the areas they live? What if there is a disproportionate amount of officers living in the areas that would benefit from police patrol but they all have to patrol their subdivision out west? Retarded.
That is very bad policy. The last thing you want is a police officer having to respond to his neighbors house or something of that sort, and it doesn't take into consideration the fact that officers change shifts, squads and even precincts with regularity.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lawyer ends bid for Omaha mayor

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10542217
Maggie O'Brien on http://www.omaha.com wrote:Omaha lawyer Van Argyrakis says he's ending his bid for mayor.

The political newcomer said he's calling it quits because he couldn't raise money and campaign while working at a full-time job.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Brad, you should redo that poll. Half those people aren't running. Be sure to add DTO's favorite, Jerry Odom. :lol:

Edit: Whoa! Quit reading my mind as I type a post! Crazy.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm running for Mayor too so add me to the poll.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Should I add him? I haven't even heard of him?    I need to figure out how to reset the numbers without deleting and retyping the poll!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I'd say he's a bit of a stretch to win.  :lol:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad wrote:Should I add him? I haven't even heard of him?    I need to figure out how to reset the numbers without deleting and retyping the poll!
Add who? Me or the anti-Mexican guy? We both have about the same chance at winning.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I added both.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Woohoo! I'm ahead in the polls with all the votes!
DTO