Omaha Mayoral Discussion

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

I'm voting for Mr. DTO too. We'll put pictures of him in drag on the sides of buses. Just the ones that go downtown anyways. I'll stand outside the Orpheum and stick 'em on the back when they stop.
It'll be trashy in a good way. (unlike the buses - which is a rant for another day)

And he'll get to have his press conference.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Here is DTO's Official poster:

Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Bosco55David wrote:
Brad wrote:I have to head to work and deal with a bunch of Drunk Pittsburgh Stealer fans, if someone can send me the list of people running for mayor, I can update the poll tomorrow.
Hey Brad, being into law enforcement like I am, how do you feel Daub being re-elected? IIRC, he had a great relationship with the police department and I know the OPD Helicopter division came online during his time in office.
Bump for Brad.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I'm not sure.  I guess I was a bit too young last time he was in office to remember.  I just turn 30 so when Daub was mayor, I was in my College and High school years.  I do remember the Helicopter fight and think the Helicopter was a great investment for the city.  It will be interesting so see how he handles the contracts and pensions.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Coyote wrote:Here is DTO's Official poster:

Not anymore. That one was left over from my bid on the Senate seat. I was so close. I figure I'll ride this new wave of Omahans voting for a new biracial leader advocating change.

I guess since I'm running for Mayor now I better hurry up and scandal proof myself.

Yes I'm gay. But only a little bit though.

I am a drag queen but still not as gay as this guy.

And I luv Luv LUV alcohol.

ImageImageImage

Now that you won't be surprised I'll do my best to lower taxes and think of the children.

This Spring, Vote DTO Luv for Mayor.

DTO Luv: "Puttin' the oral in Mayoral"
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Jesus, you are a train wreck.  :lol: Nice one with not one, not two, but 3 passed out pictures.  :lol:
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

OMG A QUEER.
THINK OF ZE CHILDREN!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Relax. D'Shawn is my neighbor and my friend and we make fun of each other all the time. No harm intended.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

:lol: Relax. Nick is cool.
DTO
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I'm pretty sure Jerry Odom has a Hitler mustache.

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

If you watch his videos his wife is in a couple and she is straight off the boat from Germany.
DTO
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

DTO Luv wrote:If you watch his videos his wife is in a couple and she is straight off the boat from Germany.
And he's ugly.
I'm not shallow.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad wrote:I'm not sure.  I guess I was a bit too young last time he was in office to remember.  I just turn 30 so when Daub was mayor, I was in my College and High school years.  I do remember the Helicopter fight and think the Helicopter was a great investment for the city.  It will be interesting so see how he handles the contracts and pensions.
I think he'll probably be the best pick as far as the police deal is concerned.

How was the Fahey/OPD relationship?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote:How was the Fahey/OPD relationship?
Fine if they weren't talking about money of staffing... :;):
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:How was the Fahey/OPD relationship?
Fine if they weren't talking about money of staffing... :;):
Can you elaborate for the out of town noob?  :mrgreen:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Fahey wanted to reduce the number of men on the fire trucks by 1 and they can't agree on a contract.  I think the fire department even filed a lawsuit.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:Fahey wanted to reduce the number of men on the fire trucks by 1 and they can't agree on a contract.  I think the fire department even filed a lawsuit.
Where's Lormong Lo when we need him?
Stable genius.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad wrote:Fahey wanted to reduce the number of men on the fire trucks by 1 and they can't agree on a contract.  I think the fire department even filed a lawsuit.
That sucks.

What kind of |expletive| did he pull on the police?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Check it out, D'Shawn...  if you can just court the Vokal supporters you've got a shot to win this thing!   :;):
Stable genius.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

So PJ Morgan is out as well?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have not heard if he is not running - I thought P.J. still is.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I have not heard if he is not running - I thought P.J. still is.
I never knew he officially was?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Not officially - but from my sources he was in. Maybe I am wrong - or having a flashback!
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad, I looked into it and it appears Fahey was responsible for alot of the budget cuts to the police department. I couldn't find much on Hal Daub's record with the police though.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Nothing Fahey did was to try and screw either the FD or the PD.  In fact, his biggest problem was that he was too nice with one contract and it has bitten everyone in the |expletive| since.  Cutting the FD to 3 on a truck made a heck of a lot of sense, actually.  

As far as this new nut case and forcing police to live in the area they cover - highly illegal.  Cities can't even require you to live in the city anymore.  You can only require that you live close enough to achieve a reasonable response time, if your job requires it.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

cdub wrote:Nothing Fahey did was to try and screw either the FD or the PD.
Well I am not as tuned in since I have been out of Omaha since 2002, but I know that the current OPD hiring issues are Fahey's doing.
In fact, his biggest problem was that he was too nice with one contract and it has bitten everyone in the |expletive| since.
 Can you elaborate on that?
Cutting the FD to 3 on a truck made a heck of a lot of sense, actually.
I gotta disagree there, especially when you're talking about a city like Omaha. [/quote]
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think if all of the sheeple of Omaha ride this "crime wave" to the ballot box and Daub can get police support that would be his best shot at winning people over who may not agree with his DT views or be put off by his personality.
DTO
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

What's wrong with his views on downtown, DTO?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Bosco55David wrote:What's wrong with his views on downtown, DTO?
Absoluetly nothing. He is the guy you would want in charge for anything as it would relate to DT. It's the people out west who couldn't even pick their own skyline out of a line up that don't see the benefits of urbanity, of which Daub is a HUGE advocate.

One thing in particular is getting the streetcars going. Most people here see the benfits of it from the financial/new tax revenue POV and a starting point for better metro-wide transportation. But to Steve and Buffy Millard with 5 kids and 3 cars, all they are going to see in a streetcar project is that "no one will use it, it doesn't go anywhere" and the other budget shortfalls the city faces and right it off as wasteful fluff.

So if Daud can work the crime hype to his advantage and keep the good civic ideas under the radar, I think he can pull out a win despite himself.
DTO
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Ahhh I see now, DTO, thanks for the info!

I actually just got off the phone with Daub's campaign office and spoke to one of the workers there. I liked what he had to say regarding the police department and getting more officers on the street. This is very good news for me since OPD is my lifeline to getting back to Omaha.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Hal is a good guy. I remember years ago when we lived near 33rd and Ames and he came in his own car at about 9:30 at night to drop a yard sign off. He then sat with us on our porch and talked about Omaha for about an hour. He really does care about all parts of this city and he is sincere in his efforts to make a better Omaha for all Omahans.
DTO
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

DTO Luv wrote:Hal is a good guy. I remember years ago when we lived near 33rd and Ames and he came in his own car at about 9:30 at night to drop a yard sign off. He then sat with us on our porch and talked about Omaha for about an hour. He really does care about all parts of this city and he is sincere in his efforts to make a better Omaha for all Omahans.
That's what I like to hear.

What do you think his chances are of re-election?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

50-50. If he can get through the primary I think he can make it. For every person who's a fan, there is one that loathes him. I think he just needs to focus on his positives he's done for the city and get the OPD endorsement. Also he's somewhat mellowed (or just learned to reign in his tongue better) so if people don't see his controversial side he can maybe convince some naysayers to consider voting for him.
DTO
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Well I guess 50-50 isn't bad odds. I don't know who else would be able to overtake him though.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

He is the only name running which is good and bad. It could be either of the other candidates election to lose. I'm hopeful but I'm still scared that Daub won't make it to the primary and we'll be f*cked for the next 4 years. I HATED Fahey when he came in but he turned out to be progressive enough to keep Daub's ideas rolling but I doubt he would have come up with them on his own. I don't see anything impressive from Vokal or Suttle.
DTO
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Bosco55David wrote:
cdub wrote:Nothing Fahey did was to try and screw either the FD or the PD.
Well I am not as tuned in since I have been out of Omaha since 2002, but I know that the current OPD hiring issues are Fahey's doing.
In fact, his biggest problem was that he was too nice with one contract and it has bitten everyone in the |expletive| since.
 Can you elaborate on that?
Cutting the FD to 3 on a truck made a heck of a lot of sense, actually.
I gotta disagree there, especially when you're talking about a city like Omaha.
[/quote]

1. Not really
2. Pension spiking
3. Not really an 'omaha' issue but one of efficiency.  The great news is they take four when they pick up lunch too so there are lots of people to hold the drinks...
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

cdub wrote:1. Not really
Postponing the training class was done by Fahey. To my knowledge, that's the first time OPD has had to do something like that. :shrug:
2. Pension spiking
Gotcha
3. Not really an 'omaha' issue but one of efficiency.  The great news is they take four when they pick up lunch too so there are lots of people to hold the drinks...
I think having 4 firefighters on the truck is a good idea, especially for the units that work urban areas like DT and Midtown.

Then again, if I had my way, there would be two police officers in the patrol cars as well.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

WestO Fanatic wrote:I'm pulling for Suttle. Hal has too many pie in the sky ideas that will only further put this city in the whole and Vokal is just a young pup. We need a mayor that's proactive on crime and reducing spending instead of putting hard earned tax money towards an unnecessary baseball stadium. This is a recession. We should be spending that money on filling potholes.
Out of curiosity, what role do you see a new mayor having in the baseball construction project?  The thing is going to be half finished before the next person is sworn in.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Out of curiosity, what role do you see a new mayor having in the baseball construction project?  The thing is going to be half finished before the next person is sworn in.
I think Daub answered the question today...
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

WestO Fanatic wrote:I'm pulling for Suttle. Hal has too many pie in the sky ideas that will only further put this city in the whole and Vokal is just a young pup. We need a mayor that's proactive on crime and reducing spending instead of putting hard earned tax money towards an unnecessary baseball stadium. This is a recession. We should be spending that money on filling potholes.
are you |expletive| ing |expletive| ting me?  Dude, do you not realize that by NOT investing in culture, or anything bigger than (forgive me) "filling potholes" that Omaha would lose all the momentum they built up, after that type of thinking |expletive| it up for decades of recent memory?  Yeah, we're in a recession.  Does that mean everyone should just stop everything all at once?  I'm sure that would be really conducive to getting us out of a recession.  I mean, who needs the job creation from new projects, or the revenue they bring in from people visiting from out of state?  Let me tell you something, pal: a lot of why you're able to afford that home you've made for yourself in west O has largely been made possible by the money all the "wasteful" projects us folks are pushing downtown.  The more there is to do in the area, and the more that sets us apart from other cities (and keeps us from becoming a KC or STL) helps keep the money flowing, and helps you keep your job (because then people will want to live here), and you can remain a west O fanatic.
Go Cubs Go