Omaha Mayoral Discussion

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

because the majority of the population is east of 72nd ST.

Not trying to support an east vs west debate... but you should know that Omaha west of 72nd has more than 50% more people than Omaha east of 72nd.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:Not trying to support an east vs west debate... but you should know that Omaha west of 72nd has more than 50% more people than Omaha east of 72nd.
And every last one of them asks me where I buy groceries while I'm walking to the grocery store and they're spending $3.69/gal to drive there.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

How could there possibly be more people out west when the city council districts are all split pretty evenly? There are 4 in the east and 3 out west.
DTO
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Daub vs. Fahey..

At least the public had its choice on the Qwest Center.

Until the "what Fahey wants Fahey gets" Stadium fiasco I liked the guy.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Is it really that hard to figure out that a public vote for bonds is directly tied to the property tax? Me, I'd rather have rental car and hotel taxes pay for it, but I might be crazy. I guess securing an NCAA championship event for the next QUARTER CENTURY isn't good enough.  :roll:

Anyways that's been gone over in the ballpark thread I'm sure. Fahey has a great deal of momentum going, so if he runs he has my vote. I won't cry if Daub were to win though as I know he is pro streetcar and development too. He is more abrasive than Fahey though IMO.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Daub sees real shot to be mayor
C. DAVID KOTOK WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:A survey by prominent national Republican pollster Neil Newhouse shows Daub leading Fahey by 5 percentage points in a hypothetical head-to-head contest for mayor, if the race were held at the time of the survey. The Daub results also were shrugged off by two other potential mayoral candidates - former Mayor P.J. Morgan and City Councilman Jim Suttle. Neither has announced a candidacy but both are mentioned in the memo summarizing the Daub poll. A World-Herald poll in the fall of 2000 found 45 percent of Omahans viewed Daub favorably and 37 percent unfavorably. In Daub's poll from this May, 50 percent rated him favorably and 39 percent unfavorably.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It is not appropriate perhaps to make political hay of the way a civic leader responds to a natural disaster.  But...Mike Fahey was on top of his game with the way he coordinated city resources to respond to our recent tornado outbreak.  This is the sort of positive publicity you simply cannot buy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fahey will announce Tuesday whether he will run for Mayor again. WE know that Daub and Suttle are in the mix with Sigerson and Welch looking to enter. Tuesday should make their decision easier. Many people believe that Fahey will not run again.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

There's no way in heck I vote for Suttle. That guy flip flopped so hard on the ballpark it was laughable. He was all kinds of against it clear through the 3 public meetings and stands next to Gernandt at Rosenblatt, etc. Then he totally switched sides which, even though I support the ballpark, I find terrible.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That just means he can be bought.  So as rich as you are Josh you can get some |expletive| done.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

the1wags wrote:There's no way in heck I vote for Suttle. That guy flip flopped so hard on the ballpark it was laughable. He was all kinds of against it clear through the 3 public meetings and stands next to Gernandt at Rosenblatt, etc. Then he totally switched sides which, even though I support the ballpark, I find terrible.
Woah!  I am no particular fan of Jim Suttle, but I absolutely do not find fault with his position shifting after the NCAA announced their backing of the new stadium plan.  The bottom line for everyone in government was/is to keep the CWS in Omaha.  After it became clear to anyone with above a 70 IQ that there was only one "option" - to build a new stadium, I would have found strong fault with Jim if he didn't come around.  And I don't blame Gary Gernandt because he represents So. Omaha and also he knew his vote was a "throw away" one, that would make absolutely no difference to the outcome.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Id settle for either one
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like Fahey has had enough and it stepping aside at the end of his term

http://www.ketv.com/politics/17024500/d ... 0307292008
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

well, then i guess it's not so bad Daub is running.  At least he can get |expletive| done downtown.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Honestly, I am not sure how I feel about Daub or Fahey running a third term.

Fahey did a great Job, we have a new ballpark and over a billion dollars in development east of 72nd street alone, and we don't have to worry about our westword growth being impeded.

Daub did a great Job, First National Tower, Qwest Center Omaha and more.

Sometimes I wonder if its time for new blood.  However if we elect Daub, who's the say we don't get a Streetcar.

BREAKING NEWS: Omaha mayor won't run for re-election

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10393100
KAREN SLOAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:There will be no third term in office for Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:Sometimes I wonder if its time for new blood.  However if we elect Daub, who's the say we don't get a Streetcar.
Agree with the first part, and I'll bet you dollars to donuts the streetcar is done and on paper before Fahey leaves office.  There's no chance Fahey lets Daub Fahey his streetcar like Fahey Faheyed Daub's hotel.  (My head hurts after that one.)

I will say I can't think of anyone on that city council that I'm excited about.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:I will say I can't think of anyone on that city council that I'm excited about.
Any business leaders that excite you(Not including Shawn from Urban or Brian from Myth)?  Do we have any good Sokol's or Scott's that could run the city and be interested in running the city?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

As long as it is not Jim Suttle I will be happy.  Personally, I would like to see some "new blood" in the office, rather than more of the same.  A Vokal or Welch would be great, in my opinion, assuming one of them enters the race.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Ernie will have some free time.
Stable genius.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Big E wrote:Ernie will have some free time.
OH GOD! :shock:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

LOL...  everyone put their veins back in their foreheads.  He would have about as good a chance in west O as I do.

I can think of a few people that I think would make wonderful mayors but could never get elected, and a few that could get a elected but would never want to do it, and a few that could get it that would make me consider moving to Council Bluffs (ok, not really).

Unfortunately, no one viable really comes to mind.
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I'd like to see Chambers moderate a mayoral debate.  He would make the candidates squirm pretty good.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

almighty_tuna wrote:I'd like to see Chambers moderate a mayoral debate.  He would make the candidates squirm pretty good.
Now, I would love to see him on the city council.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:I'd like to see Chambers moderate a mayoral debate.  He would make the candidates squirm pretty good.
Can you filibuster the city council?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:
He would be a great candidate to represent district 2 if he can prove to work with other council members on issues outside of North O. I don't see that happening though. He's done some great things but I don't see him on a city council.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is what Joe Jordan on Action 3 is thinking:

Former Mayor Hal Daub
Former Mayor P.J. Morgan
State Senator Brad Ashford
City Council Member Jim Vokal
City Council Member  Dan Welch
City Council Member Jim Suttle
City Council Member Chuck Sigerson.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Big E wrote:LOL...  everyone put their veins back in their foreheads.  He would have about as good a chance in west O as I do.

I can think of a few people that I think would make wonderful mayors but could never get elected, and a few that could get a elected but would never want to do it, and a few that could get it that would make me consider moving to Council Bluffs (ok, not really).

Unfortunately, no one viable really comes to mind.

whoa whoa whoa...take it easy... ;)

And pj morgan??  Isn't he responsible for running omaha into the ground back in the 80's?
Go Cubs Go
JB
New to the Neighborhood

Post by JB »

I think Ernie could really shake things up... in a good way.  I would love it if Ernie ran... I might even volunteer and go door to door for him!
JoshuaBest.net - My views.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

JB wrote:I think Ernie could really shake things up... in a good way.  I would love it if Ernie ran... I might even volunteer and go door to door for him!
I can't vote for Mayor, since I'm way out of the city line.  However ...

I don't agree with everything that Ernie says or does, but I do like the way he stirs the pot! He's probably the most effective politician in Nebraska's history in terms of representing the constituents. So effective that those who opposed him had to legislate him out of office!

But could he win any votes west of 72nd?

I just realized this, Ernie is one who, at least regionally, has ascended to single-name status, among those like Cher, Britney, Rush, Prince, and, of course Dubya.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Omababe wrote:
JB wrote:I think Ernie could really shake things up... in a good way.  I would love it if Ernie ran... I might even volunteer and go door to door for him!
I can't vote for Mayor, since I'm way out of the city line.  However ...

I don't agree with everything that Ernie says or does, but I do like the way he stirs the pot! He's probably the most effective politician in Nebraska's history in terms of representing the constituents. So effective that those who opposed him had to legislate him out of office!

But could he win any votes west of 72nd?

I just realized this, Ernie is one who, at least regionally, has ascended to single-name status, among those like Cher, Britney, Rush, Prince, and, of course Dubya.
Should we rush to get his autograph?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Omababe wrote: I just realized this, Ernie is one who, at least regionally, has ascended to single-name status, among those like Cher, Britney, Rush, Prince, and, of course Dubya.
Um you forgot Madonna and D'Shawn. :)

Ernie has been horribly ineffective for his constituency.

As of now I'd be inclined to vote for Daub but if I found out more about Welch I could be inclined to vote for him.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:And pj morgan??  Isn't he responsible for running omaha into the ground back in the 80's?
No, we was not mayor until the 90's
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

DTO Luv wrote:Ernie has been horribly ineffective for his constituency.
His constituents might disagree with you, because they have overwhelmingly re-elected him over and over and over.  He's probably one of those who could continue to get re-elected after death by way of write-in votes! I can't remember him having any serious opponents.
dandr1229
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dandr1229 »

[quote="Omababe"][quote="JB"]I don't agree with everything that Ernie says or does, but I do like the way he stirs the pot! He's probably the most effective politician in Nebraska's history in terms of representing the constituents. So effective that those who opposed him had to legislate him out of office!quote]

How so?   Explain that one...  

I will argue that it was beneficial to have him in the legislature (slowed down the process which is a good thing), but I highly question how much he benefited his constituency.

This is probably getting things off topic (unless he does choose to run) from the origiinal thred.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Beneficial and effective are two different words.  On top of that, the definition of beneficial is purely subjective, while effective is marginally subjective.

I don't think anyone can really make an argument against his effectiveness.  He ran that legislature for decades.  He was there as a career, and the good ol' boy network had no answer for him other than throwing themselves under the bus with him (term limits).

I'll leave the the ultimate definition of beneficial up to his constituents, but he opposed and flat out stopped some of the most backwards |expletive| redneck dumb |expletive| proposals and just plain upset poor legislation any state government has seen in a long time.  If it wasn't for him, we'd all be subsidizing construction of Cabella's and WalMarts at every freaking I-80 exit in Nebraska - and that's just the most recent one I can think of. I, personally, consider that beneficial.  WalMart and Cabella's probably disagree with me.
Stable genius.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

dandr1229 wrote:
Omababe wrote:He's probably the most effective politician in Nebraska's history in terms of representing the constituents.
How so?   Explain that one...
The first job of an elected official is to retain office! Poly Sci 101! No, it's not to serve the people or make the world a better place to live, it's to get re-elected.

It's not how you benefit the district, or how much pork you bring in, it's the numbers at the polls that tell you how effective you are as a politician.

Term limits, per se, are not necessarily a Bad Thing<tm>, but what we saw was a blatant "Get Ernie" bill. It did cast a very broad shadow, but it was most definitely focused upon one particular office-holder.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Big E wrote:If it wasn't for him, we'd all be subsidizing construction of Cabella's and WalMarts at every freaking I-80 exit in Nebraska - and that's just the most recent one I can think of. I, personally, consider that beneficial.  WalMart and Cabella's probably disagree with me.
As for Cabellas, aren't they Nebraska-based? I admit I've never been to one, even though I pass one every day, but I can't remember hearing anything bad about them. I do know all of the fishing fans love them.

As for Wally World, AFAIC you can send them back to Arkansas with no return address! :(
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well the reason he's been voted in over and over again is that he's not in a district where lots of people really want to get involved or would even know how.

Plus the people that have tried running against him in the past have faced death threats and even had a house set on fire.
DTO
JB
New to the Neighborhood

Post by JB »

Well the reason he's been voted in over and over again is that he's not in a district where lots of people really want to get involved or would even know how.

Plus the people that have tried running against him in the past have faced death threats and even had a house set on fire.
What district do lots of people want to get involved in?  I don't think you make a very good argument.  Who threatened death?  And why would they if they didn't want to be involved?
JoshuaBest.net - My views.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

JB wrote:

What district do lots of people want to get involved in?  I don't think you make a very good argument.  Who threatened death?  And why would they if they didn't want to be involved?
Poverty stricken areas are less educated therefore less politically informed and involved(as a whole).