Omaha Mayoral Discussion

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: He also has a background in transportation planning. Give him some time and maybe he'll redeem himself.
That's what worries me the most about him. One of the times I heard him speak he talked about his transportation background. He claimed to work on many cities transportation projects over the years (including 16th St in Omaha) and then said that many of them he worked on FAILED. He's touted his engineering experience but yet he seems totally ignorant when he talks about things in those areas.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Anyone remember this? This guy is our mayor now?

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10257752
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

the1wags wrote:Anyone remember this? This guy is our mayor now?

Anybody remember how big of an obstructionist Hal Daub was over the downtown stadium?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

And give us a break ... when would most of the city dwellers here NOT be in favor of a metro wide tax to subsidize projects like a baseball park, arena, performing arts center (under performing OPS schools, etc, etc) ... oh, that's right... when it might be built/benefit an area outside of the city of Omaha.

Oh, and by the way... this is precisely what's happening in Minneapolis, except on a much broader scale.  Boy, now there's an city we certainly don't want to follow, huh.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:

And give us a break ... when would most of the city dwellers here NOT be in favor of a metro wide tax to subsidize projects like a baseball park, arena, performing arts center (under performing OPS schools, etc, etc) ... oh, that's right... when it might be built/benefit an area outside of the city of Omaha.
And as soon as the 99.85% of the geographic area of the state that is not Omaha is sustainable on their own tax base without glomming on to Omaha, I'll give a |expletive|.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Stargazer wrote:

Oh, and by the way... this is precisely what's happening in Minneapolis, except on a much broader scale.  Boy, now there's an city we certainly don't want to follow, huh.
Plus I'm sure that it's easier to revenue share in state than it is across state lines. I know MO and KS did this with some projects that were built in KC but I'm not sure how it worked out or what people thought about it after the projects were said and done.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Sarpy County would certainly be a good start... back to the point though... this was no 'toboggan run' idea from Suttle.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Stargazer wrote:

Sure, I'd like aliens from Mars to drop down and pay for the sewer seperation too. That doesn't make it any more likely then a snowballs chance in heck. By the way, in case you missed it, the Minneapolis example, that's in one state, our metro is in two. Face it, Suttle is out in left field.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

the1wags wrote:Sure, I'd like aliens from Mars to drop down and pay for the sewer seperation too. That doesn't make it any more likely then a snowballs chance in heck. By the way, in case you missed it, the Minneapolis example, that's in one state, our metro is in two. Face it, Suttle is out in left field.
Actually, the Twin Cities metro area does cover two states as well.  From wikipedia:
The area is part of a larger U.S. Census division named Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI, the country's 16th-largest metropolitan area composed of eleven counties in Minnesota and two counties in Wisconsin. This larger area in turn is enveloped in the U.S. Census combined statistical area called Minneapolis-St. Paul-St. Cloud, MN-WI with an estimated population of 3.5 million people in 2006, ranked the 13th most populous in the U.S.  When Metropolitan Statistical Areas and Combined Statistical Areas are compared on the same table, Minneapolis-St. Paul is shown to be the 15th largest metro area in the country.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Is Wisconsin giving money to Minnesota? I don't doubt that Minneapolis takes money from other MN cities but I doubt they do from WI.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I doubt Minneapolis is drawing any money from Wisconsin... but Omaha certainly doesn't have to succeed in pulling money from across the river for such a plan to work (umm, I believe it's already in practice in the realm of school funding... to your beloved OPS's benefit).
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Did Suttle hire a pedophile without looking into it???

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10644306

Either way, his flippant attitude about it now is beyond arrogant.  I really don't get this guy but am convinced we, as a city, deserve whatever |expletive| he flings our way.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I saw this story last night. I'm especially upset because I went to school with the kid that ended up killing himself because of this guy. I had always wondered why he killed himself because it seemed like he had so much going for him and now I finally get some answers.
DTO
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

While I do know Matt personally, and he is a nice guy, he should step aside even if the allegations are not true.  Its becoming more political than it should.  The story in the OWH seemed less of a story against Matt but more of an attack against Suttle which leads me to believe even more that the OWH is biased against Suttle.  People say why he didn't do a background check, but even if Suttle did, there was no arrest or charge against him so what new information would a background check reveal?  Also, this story is pretty heartbreaking, any teen that is driven to suicide is.  As the article states, there is the accusation that the relationship led to his death, I am waiting to hear all the information though and not necessarily believe all accusations being made.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

I am more interested to see if Suttle will actually answer questions at his press conference (as opposed to last week's budget press conference when he gave his obligatory "no comment" response).
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Well, he canned (or failed to hire) his co-chief of staff.

However, the HUGE SHOCKER is that he elected to answer no questions after reading his prepared statement.

:banghead:

GOD, I need to quit following this, because I get more and more ticked off.  I cannot even begin to rationalize how people feel comfortable with this kind of a "leader."  It also convinces me we are well on our way to Idiocracy.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

joeglow wrote: It also convinces me we are well on our way to Idiocracy.
Great movie. Too bad it seems like reality sometimes.
DTO
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Whatever happens with the allegations is one thing but thank goodness we don't have Hal Daub as Mayor of Omaha.  Suttle sure is subtle....and so impressive as a leader too!  I can't wait to visit Omaha next year and see his vision coming to reality.

:roll:
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

He hasn't even taken office yet guys.  Cool your jets.  If he starts messing things up on things that actually matter when he is in office, then unleash the rants.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

joeglow wrote:It also convinces me we are well on our way to Idiocracy.
"I'm gonna |expletive| all y'all!"
omahastylee459 wrote:But I would like to hear the information the police have before believing all allegations.  I am not defending Matt, but until there is an investigation I am waiting for the answers.
Agreed.  "Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" still means something.  Things get really scary when we return to "assumed guilty until proven that way in the court of public opinion".
joeglow wrote:However, the HUGE SHOCKER is that he elected to answer no questions after reading his prepared statement.
Like you said before, how in the name of all you find holy does this little tidbit not pop-up during the interview process?  No one involved had heard of this before?  No one funded four or five $100,000 studies?

"Mr. Samp, it has been a good interview so far.  Just one last question: is there anything in your past that may reflect negatively on the city of Omaha or the Mayor's decision to hire you?  No?  Well then, since you're a good looking young white guy there's no reason to doubt you at all, so welcome aboard."
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Or perhaps this was overlooked because this was a hire for 'co-aide' to the mayor of the city of Omaha? ... I'd agree with myself, but then I come to realize that we spend a quarter million on suburban swimming pool studies.

On the other hand, isn't this just par for the course these days?  It seems as though just about every other person considered for an appointed post in government has something ugly in their past.

Heck, I understand Hal Daub was a domestic abuser and rapist.  :;):

:shock:

joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Okay, so Becka is talking about this.  Apparently, Suttle gave his statement, talked about rebuilding trust with the citizens and walked away.  Apparently, Becka yelled "how can we build trust when you turn around and walk out without taking questions every press conference" as Suttle was walking out of the Press Club.  Becka claims the tension was high as the entire local media was upset about yet another dog and pony show from Suttle.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

LOL... we just elected Jesse Ventura, minus the personality.
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Holy Cow, the media is ripping Suttle a new one.  

On the 10:00 news, they mention he took no questions.  They then played a clip of Becka and then a caller rip him apart.  They ended it with the comment: "Maybe as he takes mayor and has a press conference, he'll actually answer some questions."
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/46643587.html#
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Did anyone else think that caller sounded like Hal Daub trying to disguise his voice?
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

:roll:  ..

Like I've stated before, I fear 37,000 Omahans made a GRAVE mistake voting Jim Suttle for mayor..

Time will write the ultimate script though..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Like I've stated before, I fear 37,000 Omahans made a GRAVE mistake voting Jim Suttle for mayor..
Maybe you should be more concerned that 70% of registered Omaha voters didn't bother to show up to the polls.

Like I said guys, he hasn't even taken office yet.  Lets see what actually happens before you write off the next 4 years as the last horseman of the apocalypse.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omahastylee459 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Like I've stated before, I fear 37,000 Omahans made a GRAVE mistake voting Jim Suttle for mayor..
Maybe you should be more concerned that 70% of registered Omaha voters didn't bother to show up to the polls.
Uh, hello???..

From a post I submitted in this thread on 05/13/09 (see page 16) Perhaps you missed this in your attempt to submit a smart- alec comment:

'As I suspected last night, Suttle would win, and by a slim margin..

I supported Daub and voted for him. One of the only 31% of registered city of Omaha residents who took the time to vote..

To me, that's among the most outrageous things about this past election day. As I previously stated, when I went to vote at 12 noon yesterday, I was the ONLY one there to actually vote (my polling place is an elementary school)'..

That said, I do agree with you. He deserves a chance. But if this amateurish 'gaff' is any indication, Suttle did not endear himself in any way to Omahans...if he hopes for an early 'vote' of confidence for the public he now serves..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Sorry for coming off smart-alec-ish, but the pages and pages of posts complaining about Suttle is getting old.  I'm not going to talk about the other guy who lost because the election is long over and its time to move on.  I am sure once Suttle takes office we will be closely following his moves and then a rational discussion can begin about where he wants to take, or not take, this city.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:But if this amateurish 'gaff' is any indication, Suttle did not endear himself in any way to Omahans...if he hopes for an early 'vote' of confidence for the public he now serves..
I doubt the average Omahan cares that Suttle took no questions from the press.  From his perspective, taking questions from the press would have added nothing to his action, so why take any questions?  Seriously.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

icejammer wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:But if this amateurish 'gaff' is any indication, Suttle did not endear himself in any way to Omahans...if he hopes for an early 'vote' of confidence for the public he now serves..
I doubt the average Omahan cares that Suttle took no questions from the press.  From his perspective, taking questions from the press would have added nothing to his action, so why take any questions?  Seriously.

Because he is an elected public official.  That is the ONLY reason that is needed.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

icejammer wrote:
Because the average Omahan (or American, for that matter) is an ignorant idiotic fool.  They sit around waiting for someone else to do their due diligence for them and then tell them who to support.  About the ONLY exposure they get is from the random news pieces they come across.  When the mayor pulls this |expletive| enough, you start to see what you did on WOWT:  digs at the mayor with over half a piece being devoted to the mayor refusing to answer to the public.  If Suttle continues to screw over the media, you will see things like this continue.

That said, I don't give a damn if he thinks it is politically expedient or not.  If he pulls this |expletive|, I will speak out against it and continue to bring it to light until people realize that he feels he has no accountability to the public.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
icejammer wrote:

Because he is an elected public official.  That is the ONLY reason that is needed.
Agreed..

And judging from my interactions with average Omahans who actually cared to vote, most are, at least, minimally concerned that no time was taken to answer questions/interact with the media following this initial folly from the mayor-elect..

You are completely incorrect, icejammer, if you think the average Omahan  does not care that Suttle took no questions from the press regarding this issue..

SERIOUSLY..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omahastylee459 wrote:Sorry for coming off smart-alec-ish, but the pages and pages of posts complaining about Suttle is getting old.  I'm not going to talk about the other guy who lost because the election is long over and its time to move on.  I am sure once Suttle takes office we will be closely following his moves and then a rational discussion can begin about where he wants to take, or not take, this city.
I appreciate your response omahastylee..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
You are completely incorrect, icejammer, if you think the average Omahan  does not care that Suttle took no questions from the press regarding this issue..

SERIOUSLY..

Ah, no.  Most people I've talked to don't see it as a big deal.  But then again, maybe the people I talk to aren't average....

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

nebugeater wrote:
icejammer wrote:

Oh, c'mon, how many times do we see elected officials give their little canned speech and leave without fielding questions.  It happens every day.  Don't get your undies in a bunch over it.

--William Jennings Bryan
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

icejammer wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
icejammer wrote:

Oh, c'mon, how many times do we see elected officials give their little canned speech and leave without fielding questions.  It happens every day.  Don't get your undies in a bunch over it.
The difference being these people don't do it EVERY press conference.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

joeglow wrote:That said, I don't give a darn if he thinks it is politically expedient or not.  If he pulls this |expletive|, I will speak out against it and continue to bring it to light until people realize that he feels he has no accountability to the public.
Again, I have to ask, what accountability issue is there here with him not hiring someone over allegations?  He saw the guy as a political liability, so he's gone, history.  He did the right thing, what more can you ask of the guy?

--William Jennings Bryan
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

icejammer wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

SERIOUSLY..

Ah, no.  Most people I've talked to don't see it as a big deal.  But then again, maybe the people I talk to aren't average....
Well I would have to agree then..If most of the people you've talked to also live in Council Bluffs..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Public warning:

Is living in CB a "lifestyle" choice?
Stable genius.