Omaha Mayoral Discussion

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

joeglow wrote:He said he needs it for safety reasons after 9/11 & Oklahoma City.  
I was not aware that Suttle had so many enemies within the Taliban.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

almighty_tuna wrote:
joeglow wrote:He said he needs it for safety reasons after 9/11 & Oklahoma City.  
Or Oklahoma for that matter. How did Mike Fahey make it through 2 terms with such lax vehicle security?
DTO
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

nativeomahan wrote:I have stayed off of this thread since the election.  I will come on here now to offer the following observations.

1.  Every city in America is undergoing a budget crisis.  Most cities have huge pension deficit issues, and from watching CNBC today a guy on there said it is mostly not caused by the stock market crash of the last year, but by cities over promising and over extending themselves.  Now they are stuck with these contracts.  Look at Caleefornia.  Everywhere there are massive budget deficits.  So you cannot blame Fahey or Suttle for them, at least not Suttle.  He inherited the mess.  Now he and the council MUST balance the budget.  Doing so by mixing cuts in services that are not unduly drastic or a threat to our quality of life (health, safety and otherwise) and the least bad of bad options for revenue enhancements is the only way to do it.  The mayor will propose and the city council dispose of these plans.

2.  Suttle is tone deaf.

3.  If I had to do it over again I would still vote for Suttle because he is not Hal Daub, who is close to the Anti-Christ in my book.
I'm just curious what people think Hal Daub would have done.  Waived his magic wand, and suddenly we'd be back in the dot.com economic boom?  Governments everywhere are having to make cuts or raise taxes, or borrow money.  Or all of the above.  I haven't heard anybody offer up any alternative solutions, other than firing 25% of the fire department (3 men on a truck).  So it's pretty easy to dismiss much of the current angst as simply "sore losers".
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

DTO Luv wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:
Or Oklahoma for that matter. How did Mike Fahey make it through 2 terms with such lax vehicle security?
HOLY SH*T!!!!  Just reading the quote, he comes off as a condescending prick:

More Pointed Questions Aimed at Mayor Suttle
WOWT wrote:With his mother by his side, Andrew Hammargen, 9, asked the first question of the night to Mayor Suttle. "Maybe if your office doesn't spend a lot of money on your fancy new car and high paying staff -- the city would have more money without taking my parents money."

"Every mayor since Al Veys has had a car and a driver," says Mayor Suttle. "Remember 911? Remember Timothy McVeigh? -- No? Your mom will tell you. The whole security makeup of mayors changed across the country."
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, I think we've established one thing for certain about Suttle... he's no politician.

I think he should have allocated a portion of his staff budget for an image consultant.

Although if he can get more 'supporters' like D'Shawn... he'll begin to win over Omaha. :)  (so do they filter wall posts on the Suttle page?  I'm surprised you haven't unloaded a few salvos over there) ... I just about spit up my drink when I saw that big smile pop-up there.  Have to love the 'I'm looking forward to any change you can make to our fine city' comment.

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

HskrFanMike wrote:I'm just curious what people think Hal Daub would have done.  Waived his magic wand, and suddenly we'd be back in the dot.com economic boom?  Governments everywhere are having to make cuts or raise taxes, or borrow money.  Or all of the above.  I haven't heard anybody offer up any alternative solutions, other than firing 25% of the fire department (3 men on a truck).  So it's pretty easy to dismiss much of the current angst as simply "sore losers".
I don't know what Hal would've done.  I voted for him, but would be just as unhappy if he doubled the pay for new staff (including secretaries) and made poor choices, aka the Durango, cutting the city's marketing budget and the cabinet member w/the shady history.  It's not a good time to be a popular mayor because of the funding gaps which must be closed and I acknowledge the additional scrutiny he's facing because of it.  I can't say that he's handling it with great tact though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Although if he can get more 'supporters' like D'Shawn... he'll begin to win over Omaha. :)  (so do they filter wall posts on the Suttle page?  I'm surprised you haven't unloaded a few salvos over there) ... I just about spit up my drink when I saw that big smile pop-up there.  Have to love the 'I'm looking forward to any change you can make to our fine city' comment.

Haha... There are 2 names I recognize on there!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, I wasn't sure how well the other guy was known by name around here (or wanted to keep his anonymity). :)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Stargazer wrote:Yeah, I think we've established one thing for certain about Suttle... he's no politician.

I think he should have allocated a portion of his staff budget for an image consultant.

Although if he can get more 'supporters' like D'Shawn... he'll begin to win over Omaha. :)  (so do they filter wall posts on the Suttle page?  I'm surprised you haven't unloaded a few salvos over there) ... I just about spit up my drink when I saw that big smile pop-up there.  Have to love the 'I'm looking forward to any change you can make to our fine city' comment.

I accidentally became a fan on that. I clicked the wrong button and have been trying to "un-fan" myself but I can't figure out how to do it. If anyone does let me know how.

I agree with everything Tuna has said. Hal wouldn't have had a magic wand but if he did the exact same things Suttle is doing I would be upset too.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Well at least use the opportunity to liven things up over there.  I'm curious to see how his real supporters might react.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I left him some nasty messages shortly before the election. Maybe I'll leave some now.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Another awful analogy from Mayor Simple.
WOWT wrote:His staff salaries came up a few times.

"I am within the budget," says Suttle. "We need professional people. We're having a heart attack. I need a surgeon and not a carpenter."
DTO
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

This kinda put me in a bad mood today...:

Suttle Rejects MECA Cash Advance
The board that governs the Qwest Center Omaha hates Mayor Jim Suttle's proposed entertainment tax so much that its leaders offered the city a $5.6 million cash advance to drop the idea.

Suttle rejected the proposal.
http://omaha.com/article/20090728/NEWS01/707289942

That would have solved half your budget problem, idiot. Now you have to cut twice as much AND you've p!ssed off MECA. MECA has brought us millions and millions in entertainment revenue, a lot of which came from outside the city, built the Qwest Center into the highest grossing arena in ticket sales in the country, and has helped put Omaha on some people's "maps", and you've p!ssed them off....and want to make them charge more money for their services. Good work, sir!
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:This kinda put me in a bad mood today...:

Suttle Rejects MECA Cash Advance
The board that governs the Qwest Center Omaha hates Mayor Jim Suttle's proposed entertainment tax so much that its leaders offered the city a $5.6 million cash advance to drop the idea.

Suttle rejected the proposal.
http://omaha.com/article/20090728/NEWS01/707289942

That would have solved half your budget problem, idiot. Now you have to cut twice as much AND you've p!ssed off MECA. MECA has brought us millions and millions in entertainment revenue, a lot of which came from outside the city, built the Qwest Center into the highest grossing arena in ticket sales in the country, and has helped put Omaha on some people's "maps", and you've p!ssed them off....and want to make them charge more money for their services. Good work, sir!
I can understand why Suttle did this though. That money is already planned to go towards another debt (the Qwest Center bonds IIRC) so if he had taken the money, it would have just created another shortfall down the line.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

joeglow wrote:So, gross incompetence is not a reason to recall someone?  It would be allowed under these circumstances BECAUSE the intent was not to just limit its usage to the reasons you cite.

That said, it won't be successful.  It is not like any of this is too much of a surprise for people who paid attention during the campaign (i.e. everyone here).  Thus, the people who ignored the writing directly in their face then will ignore that same writing a second time around.
I guess I don't believe what he's done thus far is gross incompetence. Dumb, certainly. Tactful, definitely not.

Maybe I'm just too cynical and expect government officials to waste money on pet projects (like Suttle's Durango or his staff salaries). I certainly don't like |expletive| like that, but I don't see it as exceeding the scope of his job. If he continues to make unpopular decisions, vote him out in four years. But the recall process will just waste more city money.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Hey, an HDR crony.  The biggest nail in his recall coffin will be the friends he hired at ridiculous salaries.  Will Suttle's replacement (after his recall) be able to fire all these jokers, or are they on some kind of contract?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Wow. Now he's hiring and over paying people who aren't even qualified to be in their positions!
Now he gets to pic the next police chief as Omaha's Chief just quit!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Hey I just got a call from Suttle. He looked at my past criminal record and counts that as law enforcement experience. I'm starting out at $210,000 a year with a $50K per gun fatality in Omaha since we're in a crisis and he needs a surgeon, not a carpenter.
DTO
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

We have all those budget discussions in general discussion but I thought i would post this here.

I am trying to figure out how Suttle is going to keep justifying his large pay increases per position when he is asking other dept to take cuts or is cutting people from city jobs.  Yes he didnt raise his office budget to make these hires but he also didnt set a good example by saying this is what I am only going to pay as we are in a budget crisis and I need to make cuts in my office too. My understanding he cut part time positions but he didnt cut the budget.

Also probably would be a good time for him to say --- ya know I really don't need this big huge expensive hybrid SUV.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

Uffda wrote:We have all those budget discussions in general discussion but I thought i would post this here.

I am trying to figure out how Suttle is going to keep justifying his large pay increases per position when he is asking other dept to take cuts or is cutting people from city jobs.  Yes he didnt raise his office budget to make these hires but he also didnt set a good example by saying this is what I am only going to pay as we are in a budget crisis and I need to make cuts in my office too. My understanding he cut part time positions but he didnt cut the budget.

Also probably would be a good time for him to say --- ya know I really don't need this big huge expensive hybrid SUV.
I agree 100%! I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday when I heard that he was planning on laying off employees... He might be staying within his budget, but if you look at how much the other city departments are having to cut, is he cutting his budget at all? I also agree on the SUV lease- with it costing about $12,000/yr., there must be a more affordable vehicle that he could lease that would save a significant amount of money... I actually sent an e-mail to my councilman with almost those exact thoughts- basically if Suttle is going to ask the council to raise taxes, lets see what Suttle is giving up out of his own budget/office.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

You 2 need to go ask your mommies about 9/11 and Oklahoma City.  He NEEDS the protection.  Al Quada is after Omaha's mayor to instill fear in the world.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

He NEEDS the protection
If he keeps going the way he is going -- probably from his own citizens.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

joeglow wrote: He NEEDS the protection.  Al Quada is after Omaha's mayor to instill fear in the world.
Can I have some of that Kool-aid too?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

+1 for the finance director...
OWH wrote:Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle announced today that all members of his staff will take eight unpaid leave days before the end of the year, and his new finance director volunteered to take a $40,000 pay cut.
http://omaha.com/article/20090811/NEWS01/908119983
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am happy to see that she gave some money back.  Usually people work in public sector, make a name for themselves and then go private for more cash.  She was going about it backwards.

Wonder how many people need to take 8 days off to make up $30,000?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

So now they get big vacations that their subordinates don't get? :;):
DTO
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

The press is starting to pay attention to the Suttle re call effort.  :D
http://www.ketv.com/video/20356328/index.html
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I'm positive that there will be a recall petition drive to recall Jim Suttle.

I'm not sure they'll have much more success than the Recall Fahey drive, which only accumulated about 20% of the signatures they needed.  My estimate is they'll probably hit about 60% of the requirement.  I think most people are level-headed enough to realize that (a) the city is like many other local governments and in a pinch and (b) most of the people complaining at these forums and in public are complaining - but don't offer up any alternatives.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't think most people would have any alternatives, but I can't see anyone else doubling friends salaries and hiring legally unqualified people in the face of the budget crunch.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

HskrFanMike wrote: and (b) most of the people complaining at these forums and in public are complaining - but don't offer up any alternatives.
You mean like the other guy that ran against him and lost mainly because he was "icky"?

This might be the biggest case of buyers' remorse I've seen in an election in a long time.
Stable genius.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Big E wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote: and (b) most of the people complaining at these forums and in public are complaining - but don't offer up any alternatives.
You mean like the other guy that ran against him and lost mainly because he was "icky"?

This might be the biggest case of buyers' remorse I've seen in an election in a long time.
And it's hilarious! (besides the whole raping florence to death thing. |expletive| announces he's running in our city hall and then poops on our boobies without asking.) Not to mention he used to be our councilman and was all "Yay Florence!"

Don't blame me though. I wrote in Andy Warhol.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Big E wrote:

Who has the remorse?  The people who voted for Jim Suttle, or the people who supported an unelectable candidate like Hal Daub.

The best quote on this was by a local attorney, when I think Brad Ashford declined to join the race, leaving Jim Vokal, Jim Suttle, and Hal Daub as the candidates:  "We're doomed."
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

justnick wrote:
Big E wrote:

And it's hilarious! (besides the whole raping florence to death thing. |expletive| announces he's running in our city hall and then poops on our boobies without asking.) Not to mention he used to be our councilman and was all "Yay Florence!"

Don't blame me though. I wrote in Andy Warhol.
What else is happening to Florence?  The only two things I know of is the Library and the Post Office.  Of the two, the city has no say over what happens to the Post Office.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Entertainment tax failed 6-1
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm mostly happy with that but wonder where they'll have to get the money from you.
DTO
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

Brad wrote:Entertainment tax failed 6-1
I was at the City Council meeting this afternoon (as well the lively public hearings a week ago).  Gray was the only councilman to support the measure, and he made it clear that it wasn't so much that he supported the entertainment tax itself (he favors higher property taxes) but viewed it only as a fall-back option.  I thought Jerram made the best point when he said that the council didn't have enough information to actually make this decision.   July sales tax revenues have not yet been reported, the budget has not yet been finalized so they don't know how much revenue they actually need to make up for or what other programs/expenses can be cut.  

One of them (Jerram or Festerson) did allude to the fact that the entertainment tax, or some version of it, can come back up for discussion later in the process.  

Now I'm trying to figure out how to justify going to weekly city council meetings for work.  Love them!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

If this has been posted already I apologize.  I cannot see the Youtube posts from work all I see is a Yuotube blocked message.  I have not looked back and seen all the videos but I did not find this with a search.

On to the post
Love or hate Tom Becka or Former mayor Fahey you have to watch this if you haven't seen it.  With an open mind,  or a bunch of beer, this is funny.

[youtube][/youtube][/url]
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's almost as bad as this:

[youtube][/youtube]
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
choke
Human Relations

Re: Omaha Mayoral Discussion

Post by choke »

GRANDPASMUCKER, I was pretty young when Zorinsky and Veys were mayor of Omaha. Zorinsky would have dealt with the tornado and blizzard of '75. I did see that Veys was a write in candidate. What made him so popular? I agree with you about Stothert. I think she has been a strong mayor.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Re: Omaha Mayoral Discussion

Post by NEDodger »

Talk about a thread revival. I about had a heart attack when I saw a post by Streets - my "oh NO..." sense started tingling!