Omaha Mayoral Discussion

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

adam186
Planning Board

Omaha Mayoral Discussion

Post by adam186 »

With Daub announcing plans to run for Mayor today, I thought it would be good to open a thread for us to discuss the candidates.

How do you think Daub will effect Omaha if he wins his former job back?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

First thing he should do is reduce Wallstreet Tower from 32 floors to 12.  :D

-Big E
Stable genius.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Oops, admin should pry delete my topic on this in News and Events.

This is going to be interesting.  People might not be to fond of Fahey right now, but a lot of people really disliked Daub.  Personally, I would rather keep the momentum we have going with Fahey.  When Daub was voted out and Fahey took over, it took a few years to get the wheels turning again.  Now that they are moving at full speed, we need to stick with what works.  It doesn't help that Daub was a total jack |expletive| about the whole stadium.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was going to Merge the two together but someone else must have deleted it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

well since it disappeared, her it is again:

Daub running for Omaha mayor

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10335567
C. DAVID KOTOK AND KAREN SLOAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITERS wrote:With those words, former Omaha Mayor Hal Daub opened his campaign today to regain his old job at City Hall.

Daub isn't waiting to see what Mayor Mike Fahey intends or how many of the mayoral wannabes jump into the race.

The official campaign papers for his exploratory committee are filed with the Nebraska Accountability and Disclosure Commission. Fundraising has started. A Hal Daub for Mayor Web site is up and running.

And Daub could be knocking on your door as he campaigns through the city this summer.

"I don't think it's early to start," said Daub, a Republican who served four terms in Congress before losing the GOP U.S. Senate nomination in 1988. He was elected mayor in a special 1994 election and was re-elected in 1997.

"It's less than a year until the next city election," Daub said in an interview, "and only 11 months until the primary."

The 2009 city primary is April 7, and the general election for the mayor and seven City Council members is May 12.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Brad wrote:I was going to Merge the two together but someone else must have deleted it.
I discovered that I can delete it myslef.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

It'll be interesting to hear Daub's platform.  i think both Daub and Fahey by term's end will have had a similar public perception.  Both have significant accomplishments for the city, but both have also faced considerable controversy and criticism.  

I'm pleased with Fahey's job, but I also think Daub is a bit more aggressive with development.

While both support streetcars, I'm hoping the ball gets rolling on it before the election, thus avoiding political speed bumps.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'd vote for Fahey again. Fahey just messed up a hotel. Daub tried to mess up the stadium and potentially halted most of the progress that will follow.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

One thing this does for the present (regardless of who you are inclined to vote for) is put pressure on Fahey to really pull some more rabbits (ie, stadium, streetcar, O Royals, pandas, etc) out of his hat before next fall.  

-Big E
Stable genius.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

The good thing is that one or the other will be a good mayor..

I'm sticking with Fahey though, he has a momentum going..  But I wouldn't necessarily cry if Daub won..
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Daub is his own worst enemy.  He is fine until he opens his mouth.  Fahey has his faults as well, but City Hall hasn't been a soap opera since Daub left office.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

DTO Luv wrote:I'd vote for Fahey again. Fahey just messed up a hotel. Daub tried to mess up the stadium and potentially halted most of the progress that will follow.
Really?  I thought Daub was being more aggressive by wanting to go a bit more expense a put the park a bit more North.  Frankly, I don't see why we would want two development producing buildings to be right on top of each other.  Put a few more blocks between them and create even more room for development.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

joeglow wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:I'd vote for Fahey again. Fahey just messed up a hotel. Daub tried to mess up the stadium and potentially halted most of the progress that will follow.
Really?  I thought Daub was being more aggressive by wanting to go a bit more expense a put the park a bit more North.  Frankly, I don't see why we would want two development producing buildings to be right on top of each other.  Put a few more blocks between them and create even more room for development.
Because those lots would have never been developed otherwise...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

joeglow wrote:

Well seeing as how there were so many other developments (mainly the streetcars) counting on the stadium being in the Qwest lots, I think it was stupid of him to try and move the stadium to a land locked area away from future surrounding developments.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Wow, I never thought I'd hear D'Shawn favor Fahey over Daub.

I personally think Fahey has been the better mayor... I've forgiven him for the Hilton.  As for Daub, I love what he did for Omaha, however, I'm starting to think he's a bit of a whack job. :)

Although I'm not sure the average, suburban dwelling Omahan wants to vote for either one of them today.  I would be surprised if another candidate didn't emerge.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Daub never got control of road construction issues.  That isn't a nightmare I would want to revisit.   Fahey got WBE kicked out and things really started moving. I haven't heard boo about projects taking far longer than suppose to after Fahey gave it his attention.

The Police Union contracts will bite Fahey in the butt, but Daub will have to approach that issue carefully or he'll alienate the union before he even becomes mayor again.  Daub isn't known for approaching anything with finesse.

My vote is for Fahey but I wouldn't be upset with Daub either, just a bit more concerned about the inevitable city council drama he'll drum up.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Stargazer wrote:Wow, I never thought I'd hear D'Shawn favor Fahey over Daub.

I personally think Fahey has been the better mayor... I've forgiven him for the Hilton.  As for Daub, I love what he did for Omaha, however, I'm starting to think he's a bit of a whack job. :)

Although I'm not sure the average, suburban dwelling Omahan wants to vote for either one of them today.  I would be surprised if another candidate didn't emerge.
Why would people out west be less inclined to vote for either?

One thing Daub said that is total political BS is that the city is facing financial disaster. But this is also the same man that consistantly pushed for a stadium location that would have cost the city more money.

I could probably live with Daub again but we've got a good thing going and I think it's best to stay the course we're on now.
DTO
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

city is facing financial disaster.
Disaster might be a bit strong bu with some of the things the city is going to have to pay for in the near future --- sewer, pension and ever increasing roads -- I feel things are going to get tight moneywise and some not so popular decisions are going to have to be made in the future.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Oops, admin should pry delete my topic on this in News and Events.

This is going to be interesting.  People might not be to fond of Fahey right now, but a lot of people really disliked Daub.  Personally, I would rather keep the momentum we have going with Fahey.  When Daub was voted out and Fahey took over, it took a few years to get the wheels turning again.  Now that they are moving at full speed, we need to stick with what works.  It doesn't help that Daub was a total jack |expletive| about the whole stadium.
Daub being a jack |expletive| about the stadium was simply preemptive propaganda to try to get his leadership role somewhat established once again because he clearly knew he was planning on running.

As for decreasing WST, wasn't it Fahey who scrapped Daub's 28 Story Marriot plans for a short 'military barrack' style hotel?

I don't care who becomes Mayor, There is no indication downtown development could be halted for any reason as the measure of these mayors success has always been decided by development progress w/the riverfront and downtown.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

S33 wrote:As for decreasing WST, wasn't it Fahey who scrapped Daub's 28 Story Marriot plans for a short 'military barrack' style hotel?
Therein lies the humor.  

Or the attempt at humor, at least.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I agree that we should stick with what is working and that is Fahey as he has some monster momentum building here.

But, at least there is a worthy competitor that has a history of success here, and although I would be disapointed in losing Fahey as mayor, I wouldn't be torn apart with Daub as the replacement.

I wish we had this kind of situation for president...  :;):
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Daub may have an off putting style but he's very good at securing money for projects.  Ideally, I'd like to have both of them working for the city.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Because most of the people I know out here in the suburbs have very little connection to urban Omaha... and feel like neither of these mayors have represented THEIR interests.  The majority of people living around me have no interest in the vision which each of these mayors have, the bridge, the ballpark, light rail, none of it.  I don't dare enthusiatically bring these topics up in the presence of these people... it almost always ends up in a debate... and I end up the minority opinion.  Just the other day when I mentioned the Olympic swim trails at the Qwest Center, a neighbor quipped "it's irritating that they waste all of this money building pools down there, and they can't even get around to build a single public pool out west where all the tax payers are"... or something to that effect.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Stargazer wrote:
Because most of the people I know out here in the suburbs have very little connection to urban Omaha... and feel like neither of these mayors have represented THEIR interests.  The majority of people living around me have no interest in the vision which each of these mayors have, the bridge, the ballpark, light rail, none of it.  I don't dare enthusiastically bring these topics up in the presence of these people... it almost always ends up in a debate... and I end up the minority opinion.  Just the other day when I mentioned the Olympic swim trails at the Qwest Center, a neighbor quipped "it's irritating that they waste all of this money building pools down there, and they can't even get around to build a single public pool out west where all the tax payers are"... or something to that effect.

Well its no secret that Omaha is segregated by an east/west axis.  Completely different mindsets, ideologies and way of life.  (Yes of course there are exceptions.)  While, suburbanities have legitimate concerns too, very often they fail to see the value in investing in the city as a whole.
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

Isn't the city building a water park at Zorinksy Lake/Park for West Omaha citizens?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

nebport5 wrote:
Stargazer wrote:
Because most of the people I know out here in the suburbs have very little connection to urban Omaha... and feel like neither of these mayors have represented THEIR interests.  The majority of people living around me have no interest in the vision which each of these mayors have, the bridge, the ballpark, light rail, none of it.  I don't dare enthusiastically bring these topics up in the presence of these people... it almost always ends up in a debate... and I end up the minority opinion.  Just the other day when I mentioned the Olympic swim trails at the Qwest Center, a neighbor quipped "it's irritating that they waste all of this money building pools down there, and they can't even get around to build a single public pool out west where all the tax payers are"... or something to that effect.

Well its no secret that Omaha is segregated by an east/west axis.  Completely different mindsets, ideologies and way of life.  (Yes of course there are exceptions.)  While, suburbanities have legitimate concerns too, very often they fail to see the value in investing in the city as a whole.
How about 2 Mayors and they can each represent their own district. Both districts include half of downtown and each would compete for development success. Yeah thats kinda a crazy idea but would be interesting none the less.

On a separate note, Daub's personality sure lacks, however he would be strongest in negotiations of any kind. I doubt Omaha fire/police pensions would be the way they are...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ashford says he won't run for Omaha mayor in 2009
C. DAVID KOTOK WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:State Sen. Brad Ashford of Omaha decided today to remain in the Legislature and forgo a 2009 bid for mayor. "I've got a big responsibility," said Ashford, chairman of the Legislature's Judiciary Committee. He will be the senior member of the Omaha delegation next year.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I heard that an elkhorn citizen by the name of kreikmeier is running for the mayor of Omaha and his campaign manager is a guy named jason.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fahey: Daub's Announcement Won't Affect My Decision
KETV wrote:"I love my job. It's been a wonderful run in the city of Omaha. We've got a lot of great things happening that we've had in the past, we have a lot more in the future," Fahey said. "Hal brings a lot to any race he's in. I give a lot of credit to Hal. He's a very worthy opponent in any venture he takes on. We've ran against each other in the past -- that won't be the deciding factor. " He said he expects the decision by the end of June.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Stargazer wrote: "it's irritating that they waste all of this money building pools down there, and they can't even get around to build a single public pool out west where all the tax payers are"... or something to that effect.
-I think that is a valid complaint.  We spend how much money for pools in North and South Omaha that just get vandalized to heck, but when we want to take our kids to a pool, we have to drive 4-5 miles.  Not a HUGE inconvenience, but still a valid question.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well that's a pretty stupid comment from the suburbanite. It's not tax money building the Olympic pool. :roll: Plus what basis do you have that North and South Omaha pools get vandalized. I've only swam in one Omaha non-YMCA pool ever and it was in North O and it looked fine to me. Sounds like more suburban misinformation to me.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

NOw I feel like ranting for a bit.

I'm pretty sure that if you check the stats there is a healthy amount of vandalism in the form of propert damage in west Omaha. I know I've seen stats on it before and hearing the normal "Oh I can't believe that would happen in west Omaha" |expletive| you always here anytime anything bad happens out there.

West Omaha is not the cities future. I had a private meeting with the Chamber of Commerce today and guess what, they think the same thing too. As we all know DT and the eastern parts of the city in general are on the rise. Even to the point that certain local banks are willing to be more likely to give loans to start up businesses east of 42nd St.

Why?

Because they are starting to realize that the overall health of the city as a whole is better when the core of the city is stronger. The more businesses, residential, and commercial areas we have in the eastern part of Omaha are only going to benefit the rest of the city. The $4 a gallon gas way of life perpetuated by suburbia is eroding. So for any mayor of Omaha it's going to be crucial for them to regrow the city from inside out, not further out and further out.

People out west need to realize that if it wasn't for the employers, the transportation, the culture, and the entertainment of the city that 182nd and Center may as well be Gresham, Nebraska.
DTO
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

DTO Luv wrote:NOw I feel like ranting for a bit.

I'm pretty sure that if you check the stats there is a healthy amount of vandalism in the form of propert damage in west Omaha. I know I've seen stats on it before and hearing the normal "Oh I can't believe that would happen in west Omaha" |expletive| you always here anytime anything bad happens out there.
-I am not even going to justify this |expletive| with a response.  This is like the people who try to sweep North Omaha's violence under the rug with idiotic responses like "Crime happens everywhere" or "Yeah?  Well West Omaha has a prostitute too."  About 30 seconds of objectice analysis shows the rates of crime and where.
DTO Luv wrote:West Omaha is not the cities future. I had a private meeting with the Chamber of Commerce today and guess what, they think the same thing too. As we all know DT and the eastern parts of the city in general are on the rise. Even to the point that certain local banks are willing to be more likely to give loans to start up businesses east of 42nd St.

Why?

Because they are starting to realize that the overall health of the city as a whole is better when the core of the city is stronger. The more businesses, residential, and commercial areas we have in the eastern part of Omaha are only going to benefit the rest of the city. The $4 a gallon gas way of life perpetuated by suburbia is eroding. So for any mayor of Omaha it's going to be crucial for them to regrow the city from inside out, not further out and further out.

People out west need to realize that if it wasn't for the employers, the transportation, the culture, and the entertainment of the city that 182nd and Center may as well be Gresham, Nebraska.
- I never said otherwise.  However, I do think it is a HUGE failure of the city to ignore ANY given area altogether.  Regarding my experience, a large chunk of it is based on when I worked for the city (about 12 years ago).  When a mini tornado hit North Omaha, I would work in the morning at Spring Lake golf course and then spend overtime helping to clean up the parks in North Omaha.  The vandalism you saw was sad and pathetic.  I will bet my life that it has not gotten better since then.  If it did, it would be just about the ONLY crime to improve in that period.

Overall, I just get tired of the all or nothing dick waving match some people seem to seek out on this board.  I NEVER said F*** downtown and spend all the money out here.  All I said is that it would be nice to see SOME of my tax money giving me some direct benefits (I am not even asking for all of my tax money to come my way).
samizdat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by samizdat »

Well Joe, thanks for turning this into an East/West thing, because you just did. If I live in the vandalized, crime ridden heck-hole of South or North Omaha (I live in the South part of town myself) you may think of me as white trash that would never take care of my own neighborhood. Well, I do and so do many of my neighbors. Why don’t you make a trip East for the first time in 12 years and see what has changed?  You may actually be surprised at the pride that many people on our side of town have. A lot of us ARE trying to make good and make our neighborhoods better and safer. Is there a crime problem? Yes, in some neighborhoods yes.  This is not to say that we have been overrun by crime or anything. Your assumptions do not help the situation. As long as we have people in the NetherRegions of West O claiming that it is a lost land where no one should venture, well a lot of people will believe it.
West Omaha is not forgotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, you are living in piles of rubble and living on a diet consisting of dirt and insects, because you do not have as many per-capita public swimming pools. Yes, you all have it so bad, don’t you? Not that we build things like the WEST Dodge Expressway for your convenience with everyone’s money. Not that we build and widen roads to YOUR sub-divisions.
You may be calling out DTO, saying he is creating a schism or something on the board, but as you obviously don’t realize there IS a very present rift in our city. I honestly believe it starts with out of hand misinformation that is handed out so plentifully in West O. If we are to talk of city development, why not address a very real problem in the miscommunication that goes on in our communities? Nothing will get done if half the city is (wrongfully) scared to venture into the other half.
You may think I am overreacting, but I have listened to this |expletive| for way to long from ridiculous West Omaha analysts. Do you know what kind of influence your attitude has on people from North, South, and East Omaha? It sure doesn’t help the situation. This disdain for North and South Omaha is really rampant and in general, disgusting. You may think of yourself as pragmatic, pointing out generalities of a part of town you claim to know so much about. Well, you really don’t know anything do you?

Rant Over.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Exacytly. I have' lived in NOrth Omaha longer than any other place in Omaha and I've never seen it get as bad as people out west would make it seem. I lived on 30th and Ames and walked all over the place around there and never felt unsafe or saw rampant amounts of vandalism or other crime. Yes norht and south Omaha are where most of the crime in Omaha occurs but that's the reality of any inner city in America. Luckily in Omaha it's not as bad as it is in other places.

To be fair I have lived out west to and honestly we had more crime problems out there than we ever did in east Omaha.

Putting the east/west thing to bed I think we can all agree that development any where nn the city is good and will benefit all parts. However the greater benefit is going to come from redevelopment of the old parts of the city. That holds true for Omaha just as it does any city in America. And if we are lucky enough to have two mayoral candidiates the understadn that, then more power to Omaha.
DTO
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

samizdat wrote:Well Joe, thanks for turning this into an East/West thing, because you just did. If I live in the vandalized, crime ridden heck-hole of South or North Omaha (I live in the South part of town myself) you may think of me as white trash that would never take care of my own neighborhood. Well, I do and so do many of my neighbors. Why don’t you make a trip East for the first time in 12 years and see what has changed?  You may actually be surprised at the pride that many people on our side of town have. A lot of us ARE trying to make good and make our neighborhoods better and safer. Is there a crime problem? Yes, in some neighborhoods yes.  This is not to say that we have been overrun by crime or anything. Your assumptions do not help the situation. As long as we have people in the NetherRegions of West O claiming that it is a lost land where no one should venture, well a lot of people will believe it.
West Omaha is not forgotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, you are living in piles of rubble and living on a diet consisting of dirt and insects, because you do not have as many per-capita public swimming pools. Yes, you all have it so bad, don’t you? Not that we build things like the WEST Dodge Expressway for your convenience with everyone’s money. Not that we build and widen roads to YOUR sub-divisions.
You may be calling out DTO, saying he is creating a schism or something on the board, but as you obviously don’t realize there IS a very present rift in our city. I honestly believe it starts with out of hand misinformation that is handed out so plentifully in West O. If we are to talk of city development, why not address a very real problem in the miscommunication that goes on in our communities? Nothing will get done if half the city is (wrongfully) scared to venture into the other half.
You may think I am overreacting, but I have listened to this |expletive| for way to long from ridiculous West Omaha analysts. Do you know what kind of influence your attitude has on people from North, South, and East Omaha? It sure doesn’t help the situation. This disdain for North and South Omaha is really rampant and in general, disgusting. You may think of yourself as pragmatic, pointing out generalities of a part of town you claim to know so much about. Well, you really don’t know anything do you?

Rant Over.
....amen to that... i see nothing wrong with north omaha whatsoever and i live on 108th and fort area i dont venture to south omaha much because i just dont need to  but everytime i do it seems perfectly normal to me. West omaha does seem to have an inferiority complex with the rest of the city merely because they think they are better than X part of city. So now that all the sprawl has slowed down and our goal is to now enhance the eastern part of town, west omaha feels  neglected...go figure right.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Is there a pool included for the West Dodge(192nd area) proposed park?  

Parts of West Omaha are relatively new, look how fast 168th and Center has grown.  I don't believe eastern(urban omaha) has anything on the level of Lifetime Fitness or Lakeside for pool offerings.  Yes, they are private clubs but many people happily pay for these facilities that the city would have difficulty matching in quality and upkeep.  

That said I'd have no problem with building a few West Omaha pools.  A new library or two would be nice as well.

Back to the election:

What I'd really like to see is a mayor candidate run with an Urban Growth Boundary platform to slow up the westward sprawl and encourage inner city redevelopment.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

samizdat wrote:Well Joe, thanks for turning this into an East/West thing, because you just did. If I live in the vandalized, crime ridden heck-hole of South or North Omaha (I live in the South part of town myself) you may think of me as white trash that would never take care of my own neighborhood. Well, I do and so do many of my neighbors. Why don’t you make a trip East for the first time in 12 years and see what has changed?  You may actually be surprised at the pride that many people on our side of town have. A lot of us ARE trying to make good and make our neighborhoods better and safer. Is there a crime problem? Yes, in some neighborhoods yes.  This is not to say that we have been overrun by crime or anything. Your assumptions do not help the situation. As long as we have people in the NetherRegions of West O claiming that it is a lost land where no one should venture, well a lot of people will believe it. .
-I am also basing this on what my father witnesses.  He is a construction worker.  He has job sites all over town.  Do you want to guess where he gets the most stuff stolen from?  Want to guess where they get the most stuff vandalized at?  I am not saying everyone living in any part of town are trash.  I am not saying everyone in a given part of town is a criminal.  I am simply stating that you cannot deny facts and statistics.
samizdat wrote:West Omaha is not forgotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, you are living in piles of rubble and living on a diet consisting of dirt and insects, because you do not have as many per-capita public swimming pools. Yes, you all have it so bad, don’t you? Not that we build things like the WEST Dodge Expressway for your convenience with everyone’s money. Not that we build and widen roads to YOUR sub-divisions..
-I opposed the West Dodge expressway.  And there are no roads being widened to my area.  I live in a 40 year old neighborhood in old Millard.
samizdat wrote:You may be calling out DTO, saying he is creating a schism or something on the board, but as you obviously don’t realize there IS a very present rift in our city. I honestly believe it starts with out of hand misinformation that is handed out so plentifully in West O. If we are to talk of city development, why not address a very real problem in the miscommunication that goes on in our communities? Nothing will get done if half the city is (wrongfully) scared to venture into the other half..
-I work in the Eastern part of the city and have for 8 years.  I can see the difference.  Again, this is why I support spending more money to improve this area.  I am simply stating that this is not the only area that deserves attention.
samizdat wrote:You may think I am overreacting, but I have listened to this |expletive| for way to long from ridiculous West Omaha analysts. Do you know what kind of influence your attitude has on people from North, South, and East Omaha? It sure doesn’t help the situation. This disdain for North and South Omaha is really rampant and in general, disgusting. You may think of yourself as pragmatic, pointing out generalities of a part of town you claim to know so much about. Well, you really don’t know anything do you?

Rant Over.
That is fine.  What is disgusting to me is the so called leaders of our city attempting to sweep the problems of North and South Omaha under the rug.  I am disgusted at the Mayor's decision to label shootings that don't hit anyone as "property crimes."  I am tired of the attempts to ignore a very real problem.  And I am tired of people trying to tell me these problems don't exist.
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

because the majority of the population is east of 72nd ST. Not to mention most homes out west have their own pool.  :D
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

It would be a waste of resources for city leaders to invest time and money in West Omaha beyond street projects.  This might be a lame analogy, but I'll give it my best shot.  West Omaha is/has/will be experiencing the "snow ball" effect for a long time. [The snow ball effect is when a tiny snow ball rolls down hill and gathers more and more snow until it turns into and enormous landslide]   Basically, West O  is booming on it's own without the help of extra city funds and the attention of city leaders.  It has a ton of momentum and growth on it's own.  I don't want my city leaders chasing after the West-O the snow ball -- I want them starting new snowballs in the areas that need them.

I live in West O, and I have personally witnessed this selfish mentality that Stargazer discussed.  People out here don't seem to realize that the best thing for West O is to have a healthy city everywhere.
-I opposed the West Dodge expressway.  And there are no roads being widened to my area.  I live in a 40 year old neighborhood in old Millard.
How can you live in Millard and somehow miss the Q street widening project, the Harrison street widening project, the 168th widening project, the 132nd and L street widening project, and the 144th street widening project that have all happened in the last two years, or under construction right now?

I must have missed something, because your statement doesn't jive with reality.  There is just no way any of those projects (and probably more that I can't think of right now) have not affected you in any way.  I just can't believe it.