The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
icejammer wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
You are completely incorrect, icejammer, if you think the average Omahan  does not care that Suttle took no questions from the press regarding this issue..

SERIOUSLY..

Ah, no.  Most people I've talked to don't see it as a big deal.  But then again, maybe the people I talk to aren't average....
Well I would have to agree then..If most of the people you've talked to also live in Council Bluffs..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
While i see the point you're trying to make (we live in Council Bluffs, therefor do not have the same things at stake or care in the same way about Omaha politicians), i would have to say that, because of the Omaha news outlets, we do have strikingly similar points of view.  No, the policies and politics don't affect us in the exact same way (even though one proposal was to tax people who live outside of Omaha, i.e. Council Bluffs, for working over there).  But since we see the ads just as often and in the same ways as Omahans, i don't believe that makes it impossible for us over here to have an accurate opinion on the subject that the average Omaha doesn't care if he took questions or not.  Which i agree with icejammer: i don't think the average Omahan cares.  I know many DO care, but the average person more than likely does not.
Go Cubs Go
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:Public warning:

Is living in CB a "lifestyle" choice?
Is wearing a mullet a choice? No, you can't pick your genetics.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

S33 wrote:

So you're saying that everyone in Council Bluffs is genetically predisposed to mullets?  Funny, I'd swear I've seen people just like that from Omaha.  And here i defend you guys when everyone says Omahans are |expletive| holes and p!ss poor drivers.  Must be a stereotype, huh? :;):
Go Cubs Go
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

thenewguy wrote:
S33 wrote:

So you're saying that everyone in Council Bluffs is genetically predisposed to mullets?  Funny, I'd swear I've seen people just like that from Omaha.  And here i defend you guys when everyone says Omahans are |expletive| holes and p!ss poor drivers.  Must be a stereotype, huh? :;):
Lol, it was a joke and nothing more. There are many shitty Omaha drivers, too.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Well I would have to agree then..If most of the people you've talked to also live in Council Bluffs..
I'll ignore the back-handed comment, but no, I was talking only about those from Omaha in my comment, not anyone from any other community.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Okay, let me get this straight, I can buy Suttle's Durango Hybrid new, paying MSRP, for about $40,000.  Suttle is leasing this same car for $15,717 a year.

Fiscally responsible?????
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

joeglow wrote:Okay, let me get this straight, I can buy Suttle's Durango Hybrid new, paying MSRP, for about $40,000.  Suttle is leasing this same car for $15,717 a year.

What are the terms of the lease?  May or may not be a good deal.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I was trying to figure out why he needed a big SUV -- even if it was a hybrid.  :roll:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Uffda wrote:I was trying to figure out why he needed a big SUV -- even if it was a hybrid.  :roll:
These guys never drive themselves and they always have at least 1 or 2 assistants coming along for the ride.  It's as much mobile office as anything.
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

icejammer wrote:
joeglow wrote:Okay, let me get this straight, I can buy Suttle's Durango Hybrid new, paying MSRP, for about $40,000.  Suttle is leasing this same car for $15,717 a year.

What are the terms of the lease?  May or may not be a good deal.
The only way I can figure out it would be a good deal is if the dealer PAID the city at the end of the term.

If it is a 3 year lease and the city simply gets to keep the car at that point, that works out to greater than 10% interest.

The ONLY time I have seen leasing make sense if for a business who gets a much greater business deduction (due to limits in depreciation expense of cars).  Given that the city doesn't pay taxes, why the heck are we pissing away money on leasing cars anyway?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

joeglow wrote:The only way I can figure out it would be a good deal is if the dealer PAID the city at the end of the term.
Awesome.  Sell naming rights to the Mayor's car.  I love it.

Can you just see him riding around with one of those car wrap things for Sol's Jewelry & Loan?
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Apparently, per KFAB, the cost of the lease is $63,000 (4 year lease).

So, can ANYONE explain how Suttle is not acting like a typical politician run amok?
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Ok if it wasn't obvious the OWH is completely against Suttle it is really apparent now.
That's $2,157 per year more than what former Mayor Mike Fahey paid to lease a 2008 Chrysler Aspen SUV.

The hybrid gets about 21 miles per gallon. Fahey's city-leased SUV advertised fuel efficiency of 15 mpg.
So an extra $2000 per year on a car that saves some money on gas is suddenly an issue???  WOW people, this is not news, this is typical OWH manufactured nonsense.

Edit:  After doing the math, with an average of 30 miles per day at $2.50 per gallon (which are both very modest figures) the hybrid saves $500 in gas per year over Fahey's vehicle.  So we are talking about a difference of $1500 per year.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

omahastylee459 wrote:Ok if it wasn't obvious the OWH is completely against Suttle it is really apparent now.
That's $2,157 per year more than what former Mayor Mike Fahey paid to lease a 2008 Chrysler Aspen SUV.

The hybrid gets about 21 miles per gallon. Fahey's city-leased SUV advertised fuel efficiency of 15 mpg.
So an extra $2000 per year on a car that saves some money on gas is suddenly an issue???  WOW people, this is not news, this is typical OWH manufactured nonsense.

Edit:  After doing the math, with an average of 30 miles per day at $2.50 per gallon (which are both very modest figures) the hybrid saves $500 in gas per year over Fahey's vehicle.  So we are talking about a difference of $1500 per year.

All the while, he needs 2 chiefs of staff and is going back on promised raises to city workers.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

These guys never drive themselves and they always have at least 1 or 2 assistants coming along for the ride
Not arguing but it is still Overkill --- 3-4 people in a big SUV. There are many passengers cars that would give just as much room and probably better city gas miieage and cost less to lease.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Uffda wrote:
These guys never drive themselves and they always have at least 1 or 2 assistants coming along for the ride
Not arguing but it is still Overkill --- 3-4 people in a big SUV. There are many passengers cars that would give just as much room and probably better city gas miieage and cost less to lease.
Preaching to the choir.  I was just sayin'.
Stable genius.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

omahastylee459 wrote:Ok if it wasn't obvious the OWH is completely against Suttle it is really apparent now.

I wouldn't say that he should be driving the same car Fahey had, but if you are really about going green then maybe he should drive something that gets more than 20 mpg.  My mid 90s model Mazda pick up gets more than that, and its pretty far from a hybrid.  

This guy is on pace to be recalled within the year.  He has mishandled absolutely everything he has done.  His speech at the ballpark presentation even sucked.  God Bless all of you, God bless Omaha, and God bless the participants?  Typically you build up in sequences like that, not up then back down.  

I am sure he can figure out how to build the best damn bridges in the planet, but he seems to not know the first thing about administering, well anything at all.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

He has mishandled absolutely everything he has done.
He hasn't had time to DO anything yet.  He just got into office!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

No he may have not actually done anything yet but the way he's handled the only things he's done publicly have been blunders if not outright disasters. I don't really care about the car thing though. If anyone is surprised that he's a boring speaker don't be surprised because I've been saying it for months. He has no idea about anything. I don't even know why he ran for mayor.
DTO
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

$63,000 for a Durango??? :shock: The Durango Hybrid prices start at $45,000. What the heck did he put in this thing get the price up to $63,000?!?! The most expensive options (sunroofs, navigation systems, upgraded stereos) are some of the least necessary options for a government vehicle.

A Durango of any type shouldn't be worth any more than $50,000 tops.

Let me put this into perspective. Here are the prices of some other SUVs:

2009 Cadillac Escalade: $63,155-$85,855 (Escalade Hybrid: $74,000 - $88,000)
2009 Lincoln Navigator: starts at $53,000
2009 BMW X5: starts at $47,500
2009 Audi Q7: starts at $43,500
2009 Porsche Cayenne: starts at $45,000 (the next level up Cayenne S starts at $60,000)

2009 Ford Explorer: starts at $28,000
2009 Ford Expedition: starts at $34,000

2009 FORD ESCAPE HYBRID: STARTS AT $30,000 (GETS 34/31 CITY/HWY MPG)
2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid: starts at $51,000 (22 MPG Hwy)
2009 Volkswagen Tourag TDI (Turbo Diesel): starts at $42,000 gets 17/25 MPG city/hwy
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Are we really crying about what vehicle the mayor chooses to ride in? I say give him a tank so people actually have something to |expletive| about.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

S33 wrote:Are we really crying about what vehicle the mayor chooses to ride in?
No.  We're crying about what we're paying for said vehicle.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:
S33 wrote:Are we really crying about what vehicle the mayor chooses to ride in?
No.  We're crying about what we're paying for said vehicle.
He's our mayor. He holds the highest governmental position in the city of Omaha. Within reason, he should be able to drive whatever he wants. I'm pretty sure I've seen city and county police driving nice, gas guzzling suv's. We sit here and |expletive| about one vehicle? Please...
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I have no problem with the vehicle.  I doubt Suttle will average 30 miles a day...probably more like 50-75 miles a day, if he has to drive to an lunch meeting, another meeting during the day, then an evening event.  I think that the savings on fuel will probably make this a wash compared with Fahey's SUV.

The decision to lease vs. buy outright is one that needs to be examined.  It may have been city policy, but I don't think that makes any sense anymore.  I do know that organizations have policies that may make some sense at times, but frequently cost the organization more than if you give people the flexibility to find the best deal.  For example, I know that I could save the company significant money by booking travel myself rather than using the company service, but that's not allowed because some people will abuse the freedom.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:$63,000 for a Durango??? :shock: The Durango Hybrid prices start at $45,000. What the heck did he put in this thing get the price up to $63,000?!?! The most expensive options (sunroofs, navigation systems, upgraded stereos) are some of the least necessary options for a government vehicle.

A Durango of any type shouldn't be worth any more than $50,000 tops.

Let me put this into perspective. Here are the prices of some other SUVs:

2009 Cadillac Escalade: $63,155-$85,855 (Escalade Hybrid: $74,000 - $88,000)
2009 Lincoln Navigator: starts at $53,000
2009 BMW X5: starts at $47,500
2009 Audi Q7: starts at $43,500
2009 Porsche Cayenne: starts at $45,000 (the next level up Cayenne S starts at $60,000)

2009 Ford Explorer: starts at $28,000
2009 Ford Expedition: starts at $34,000

2009 FORD ESCAPE HYBRID: STARTS AT $30,000 (GETS 34/31 CITY/HWY MPG)
2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid: starts at $51,000 (22 MPG Hwy)
2009 Volkswagen Tourag TDI (Turbo Diesel): starts at $42,000 gets 17/25 MPG city/hwy

Its the financing that makes it 63K.  Nobody thinks the vehicle had a sticker price of that.  

S33-

When the mayor is cutting or threatening to cut everything under the sun and when he says that this was a 'green' choice and that he's trying to set an example then I think he opens himself up to this debate.  If you don't give a |expletive| unless its a million bucks than you can select only those discussions to enter into.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

cdub wrote:
S33-

When the mayor is cutting or threatening to cut everything under the sun and when he says that this was a 'green' choice and that he's trying to set an example then I think he opens himself up to this debate.  If you don't give a |expletive| unless its a million bucks than you can select only those discussions to enter into.
First, I'll feel free to enter any discussion I feel the need to. Second, you aren't getting my point. If you want to scrutinize the mayors choice of vehicle, perhaps you can back track and take a look at all city/county vehicles and start from there. Really, this is one of the "pick your battle" situations. How petty can some of you be?

So many of you are so concerned with the city's image (marketing, how we are portrayed in nat'l media, what our downtown looks like as you enter from the |expletive| airport, etc etc). Would you rather Mr. Suttle show up to meetings and events in a Kia? Really, WOW?

Under your pretense, Obama should consider a single engine Cessna as the new AF1? I'm pretty sure our federal government isn't immune to cutbacks.

joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

cdub wrote: Its the financing that makes it 63K.  Nobody thinks the vehicle had a sticker price of that.  
Really?  Assuming it is a $45,000 vehicle and we get to own the vehicle after the 4 years, that works out to almost 16% a year.  If we have to pay to own the vehicle after that period, it is an even higher rate.  Has our credit, as a city, dropped so much that the bum in the park could get a better rate than us.

Regardless of if this is "small" or not, something wrong is going on here.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

joeglow wrote:Regardless of if this is "small" or not, something wrong is going on here.
Agreed.

And since this is the first non-alleged-pedophile related decision we have to go on, this is all we have to |expletive| about for the time being.   :;):
Stable genius.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Big E wrote:If we call him to task on this, perhaps he'll think things out a little differently when it IS his turn to make the decisions about the rest of the vehicles Omaha city employees use.
As long as he doesn't |expletive| with the police department cruisers, I'm fine with that.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The number was reported in more than one outlet.  

I think he should buy a 79 AMC Pacer...

He may end up having to offer the durango in order to get a finance director anyway.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I could see Mr. Burns in a pacer...

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

S33 wrote:There is no way a Durango could reach that price range. Something isn't right and I would sure hope the city wouldn't spend 63K on a Durango.
We're all pretty much in agreement on that.  There's either something we aren't hearing, or this is a colossal misuse of city money.  Wouldn't be the first for either.

Hence the fact we're all wondering W-T-F is going on.

(PS: I love that we've all found our own unique ways to circumvent the censors.)
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big E wrote:
S33 wrote:There is no way a Durango could reach that price range. Something isn't right and I would sure hope the city wouldn't spend 63K on a Durango.
We're all pretty much in agreement on that.  There's either something we aren't hearing, or this is a colossal misuse of city money.  Wouldn't be the first for either.

Hence the fact we're all wondering W-T-F is going on.

(PS: I love that we've all found our own unique ways to circumvent the censors.)
Serious question.... Does this vehicle have any armoring in it that could drive up the cost?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Knowing that Suttle did read this site at one time, the answer to your question is yes. :)
DTO
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

So raise taxes and cut some services but also raise personal aides salries
The Mayor's office is not commenting, but according to our City Hall sources the Mayor is planning: a 2.4 cent property tax hike (6%), a $4.00 a person occupation tax or a 2% entertainment (restaurant) tax, and higher city parking fees (from $6.00 to $8.00).

At the same time though, two of Suttle's top aides are getting big bumps in pay.

Suttle's spokesman Ron Gerard will earn $71,000. Former Mayor Mike Fahey's spokesman Joe Gudenrath earned $58,000.

Suttle's Chief of Staff Steve Oltmans' will make $125,000. Fahey's Chief of Staff Paul Landow made $92,000.

As for the cuts we're told that one of the city's nine hole golf courses could close, while the next police recruit class, already delayed at least twice, will be delayed again.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

FTR, I am 1,000,000% in favor of the occupation tax and the higher parking fees, and I have no idea why the city is in the golf course business.
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:FTR, I am 1,000,000% in favor of the occupation tax and the higher parking fees, and I have no idea why the city is in the golf course business.
I worked for Spring Lake golf course in my high school days.  The city's golf courses MAKE money and fund losers like the thousands of pools and spray parks we have East of 72nd.  So, yeah, closing a course makes a LOT of sense.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I have no idea why the city is in the pool business either.
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:I have no idea why the city is in the pool business either.
I don't have a problem with them having 5 or 6.  After all, we pay for the pedestrian bridge, parks, fireworks shows, free concerts, etc.  However, they are all frigging clustered.  Northeast Omaha has quite a few.  There are 3 within a 2 mile radius (Oak Heights, Mockingbird Heights & Mockingbird Hills) and then huge gaps in the city with nothing.  Be a little bit smarter with the money.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Joe's right.

A little Omaha political history: I'm old enough to remember when city council members were all chosen "at large" instead of by district, and I also remember when the city limits only went out to about 84th or 90th street.  An inordinate number of the city's politicians came from the ethnic neighborhoods in South Omaha.  My relatives who lived in the 'burbs outside the city limits would complain about having to join a private swim club.  They would also complain that South Omaha "got everything" from the city (Park & Recreation wise anyway).  Back then, you were considered a good politician if you took care of your constituents (i.e. pools, community centers, jobs, etc.), and the political culture in S. O. 'took care of its own", and was a power to be reckoned with.  I spent endless summer days at the Morton Park pool. It cost 10 cents for admission.  I also learned to swim there when I was 5.  The cost of swimming lessons was, I think, a buck for the whole set.  I really believe that the city should fund recreational activities for young people, including pools, community centers and gyms.  It gives kids something to do for a nominal cost to the user and it kept us off the streets and out of trouble (and believe me, there was always the potential for trouble in S.O. when I was young).