Omaha Mayoral Discussion

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well having in lived in Ernie's District more than any other place I've lived in Omaha I can tell you that most people don't care to get involved in politics and let's face it, it's not like that area is a heavily courted vote so the leaders they have they're complacent with. It would surprise me if most of the time he's ran if it's been unopposed.

My Mom was very involved in the GOP so we were always around people involved with what was going on in politics. One guy for the GOP decided to run against Chambers and he received death threats, vandalism to his property including it being set on fire all because he wanted to run against Ernie.
DTO
JB
New to the Neighborhood

Post by JB »

DTO Luv wrote:Well having in lived in Ernie's District more than any other place I've lived in Omaha I can tell you that most people don't care to get involved in politics and let's face it, it's not like that area is a heavily courted vote so the leaders they have they're complacent with. It would surprise me if most of the time he's ran if it's been unopposed.

My Mom was very involved in the GOP so we were always around people involved with what was going on in politics. One guy for the GOP decided to run against Chambers and he received death threats, vandalism to his property including it being set on fire all because he wanted to run against Ernie.
But who would send the death threats and do the vandalism?  One of the complacent residents that don't care to get involved?
JoshuaBest.net - My views.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Burning down a house is getting involved?

It's one thing to call and threaten someone, but to actually do something that requires time money and patience is entirely different.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

DTO Luv wrote:Burning down a house is getting involved?

It's one thing to call and threaten someone, but to actually do something that requires time money and patience is entirely different.
That has to be the most coherent and lucid posts D'Shawn has ever posted.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

|expletive| yeah it is. :)
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:That has to be the most coherent and lucid posts D'Shawn has ever posted.
Coming from the guy that has "Carl, tell me how my sweats look" in his signature line!!!

I am laughing so hard again after seeing that!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Interesting poll results thus far...
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

Speaking of mayoral polls, Q 98.5 is polling their listeners about who should be the next mayor.  So far the results are as follows:

Pat   3%  
JT    6%  
Hal Daub     0%  
Polychronopolis     6%  
Eric Crouch     3%  
Warren Buffett     8%  
Dan Welsch     0%  
Andrea Bredow (Channel 7)     64%  
Chuck Norris     11%
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

annad wrote:Speaking of mayoral polls, Q 98.5 is polling their listeners about who should be the next mayor.  So far the results are as follows:

Pat   3%  
JT    6%  
Hal Daub     0%  
Polychronopolis     6%  
Eric Crouch     3%  
Warren Buffett     8%  
Dan Welsch     0%  
Andrea Bredow (Channel 7)     64%  
Chuck Norris     11%
HAHA, Chuck Norris. That's great.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

S33 wrote:HAHA, Chuck Norris. That's great.
Here is my post rrom last September:
Brad wrote:Chuck Norris For Mayor

I don't know what is more funny?

1.  Chuck Norris is running for mayor of Omaha?
2.  Chuck Norris uses spray paint for his election signs?
3.  Chuck Norris can not spell Mayor?

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

When Chuck Norris misspells something, the word changes its spelling.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:When Chuck Norris misspells something, the word changes its spelling.

Don't even start the Chuck jokes, haha. That was a good one, though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hal Daub to run for mayor of Omaha

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10481440
www.omaha.com wrote:Hal Daub is going to make it official Monday.

The Republican is set to formally jump into the Omaha mayoral race, with a 9:30 a.m. press conference.

Daub has long made it clear he plans to try to reclaim City Hall. The former mayor lost his bid for re-election in 2001 against Democrat Mike Fahey.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I'm thinking that after Daub "lost" the 2nd Dist. for the GOP (he was the statewide campaign manager for McCain after all, and should shoulder the blame), he shouldn't be looked upon so favorable within the GOP....
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I don't think I could stand 4 more years of "Handshake Hal".
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Why is there a poll up so early? We don't even know who all is for sure running yet.

Hal is a great Mayor. I'd vote for him but I would keep my eye on Dan Welch. He shows some promise.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Why is there a poll up so early? We don't even know who all is for sure running yet.

Hal is a great Mayor. I'd vote for him but I would keep my eye on Dan Welch. He shows some promise.
The poll has been up for a few months...  You can change it or take it down and add a new one.

Remember it was Hals Vision that got us the Qwest Center... #20 in the WORLD in ticket sales!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yes but he's also a whacko right wing nut. He's also for getting rid of our new blue standout status and getting NE back to winner take all. Boo.

All that aside he is an awesome Mayor. I would gladly vote for him but he does bring a lot of baggage and I'd hate to see him lose to some lukewarm do-nothing no name who thinks that being Mayor of Omaha should be like being mayor of Mayberry.

If there was an equally civic progressive candidate who didn't ruffle as many feathers as Hal I'd be inclined to vote for them.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone heard of this Guy?

Meet Van Argyrakis, Omaha Mayoral Candidate

http://www.kptm.com/Global/story.asp?S=9319242
www.kptm.com wrote:Meet Van Argyrakis, a 41-year-old Democrat, an attorney who specializes in immigration issues.  "This is my home and it's always been my home and it's going to be my home for the rest of my life and I want to make the city a better place for the people who live here," Argyrakis said.

Argyrakis says he relates well to people of all backgrounds and that will make him a different kind of mayor.  "One who's going to be here for people, accountable, going to be in my office everyday for people to call, for people to contact with their problems and issues," he said.

Argyrakis says the number one issue facing the city is gun violence.  He wants to train with police and follow them into problem areas.  "It's kind of a radical idea, but I feel like if I can get out there, talk to people, I can help calm them down hopefully, help them to be less violent with each other," Argyrakis said.

Argyrakis pledges to maintain property tax levels or lower them.  He also wants to grow the city to help pay for the new ballpark and better public transportation.  "I think with the development of the downtown area, we need a street car system to get people around," he said.

Though Argyrakis has never held elected office, he says he has the experience and educational background to be a successful leader.  "Having the passion to do the job, the heart to do the job, I think is very important," he said.

At this point, Argyrakis and former Mayor Hal Daub are the only two men in the race.  Daub will officially announce his candidacy Monday morning, though he's made it clear for months he planned to run.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

icejammer wrote:I'm thinking that after Daub "lost" the 2nd Dist. for the GOP (he was the statewide campaign manager for McCain after all, and should shoulder the blame), he shouldn't be looked upon so favorable within the GOP....
You mean like when they told him he wasn't running for Senate in favor of a gift to Secretary of Agriculture Johanns?
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:Anyone heard of this Guy?
No, but anyone willing to talk streetcars and, particularly, admit that gang/gun violence is the number one issue in the city (remember when people here thought it was potholes?) I'm willing to give him a listen.
Stable genius.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Big E wrote:
icejammer wrote:I'm thinking that after Daub "lost" the 2nd Dist. for the GOP (he was the statewide campaign manager for McCain after all, and should shoulder the blame), he shouldn't be looked upon so favorable within the GOP....
You mean like when they told him he wasn't running for Senate in favor of a gift to Secretary of Agriculture Johanns?
I think that anyone with half a brain (and that would include most in the GOP) knew that Johanns was a much stronger statewide candidate than Hal.  After this election, I don't think it will even take half a brain....
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

icejammer wrote:I think that anyone with half a brain (and that would include most in the GOP) knew that Johanns was a much stronger statewide candidate than Hal.
Not arguing that at all.  My point was the GOP basically told Republicans in Nebraska "You don't get to pick your candidates.  We do."
Stable genius.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Hal?  Really?  REALLY??  Dear  God.

Well anyway, I'd take Dan if he were going to run but I'm ok with Jimmy otherwise.  
Hal needs to start fading away into retirement.  I may leave some brochures for De Boca Vista at his office.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Odom joining race for Omaha mayor

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10490370
Maggie O'Brien, http://www.omaha.com wrote:An Omaha technology consultant is announcing his plans to run for mayor in next spring's city elections.

Jerry Odom says he would be a "common sense leader with a new vision" if elected.

Odom cites reducing crime, lowering taxes and avoiding wasteful spending among his priorities.

Last week, former Mayor Hal Daub officially announced he would run again. Omaha City Councilmen Jim Suttle and Jim Vokal could announce their candidacies in the coming weeks.

Other names have been mentioned, including City Council President Dan Welch, former Mayor P.J. Morgan and political newcomer Van Argyrakis.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I heard today that Jim Suttle has formed a sort of "exploratory committee" to run for mayor.  The people I talked to were sure that he will make a run.  If he does he has my vote 100%.  He is a progressive thinker, has an engineering background, has ties with businesses throughout Omaha, and I believe hes got what it takes to continue bringing good projects to the metro.  

I really think you guys should move on from your Hal Daub lovefest.  We need new leadership in town, and someone who can work with other city and business leaders to get things done in a civil manner.  Fahey has been a relatively good mayor and has brought a lot of great projects to Omaha.  I think we should find someone who is even better than Fahey who will continue the progress, so I dont understand the point of electing the guy who lost his reelection bid.
Last edited by omahastylee459 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

omahastylee459 wrote: If he does he has my vote 100%.  He is a progressive thinker,
I hope you're joking. Jim Suttle is a |expletive| retard. Nice guy but he is clueless. At the baseball meetings he couldn't tell the difference between a AAA stadium and an MLB stadium. He also came up with the worst, most expensive, POS plan to appease both sides on the issue and never took an active stance on it. He would be terrible.
DTO
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

DTO Luv wrote:
omahastylee459 wrote: If he does he has my vote 100%.  He is a progressive thinker,
I hope you're joking. Jim Suttle is a |expletive| retard. Nice guy but he is clueless. At the baseball meetings he couldn't tell the difference between a AAA stadium and an MLB stadium. He also came up with the worst, most expensive, POS plan to appease both sides on the issue and never took an active stance on it. He would be terrible.
Everytime I have spoken with him or heard him speak in groups he has always come out in support of the projects we talk about on this forum.  I believe he stays on top of Omaha development and would do a better job than most to foster more development.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

DTO Luv wrote:
BINGO. When talking with him at the public ballpark meetings, he told me "Their numbers are way off", etc. When I asked what made him think that, he used Great American Ballpark in Cincy and it's $290M cost as an example. I looked at him and stated that was a MLB stadium that seats 42 thousand, not a CWS 25k stadium. He quickly went into some other conspiracy about how it was a bad idea.

On top of that, after all his fuss and standing with Save Rosenblatt and lobbing out one of the dumber ideas I've ever heard of, he then proceeded to vote for all of the downtown stadium tax changes etc. Even though Gernandt wanted to save Rosenblatt, I at least give him props for sticking to his guns and not flip flopping. Suttle will not get my vote.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

All political figures change their positions from time to time, if that didnt happen nothing would ever change, call it flip flopping or whatever.  I hope your reasons for not wanting Suttle go beyond just the ballpark issue.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

He's introduced some other poorly put together ideas and he's just been very wishy-washy on a lot of issues. Maybe you've seen another side of him but I would vote for a Cabbage Patch Kid before Jim Suttle.
DTO
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

the1wags wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:
BINGO. When talking with him at the public ballpark meetings, he told me "Their numbers are way off", etc. When I asked what made him think that, he used Great American Ballpark in Cincy and it's $290M cost as an example. I looked at him and stated that was a MLB stadium that seats 42 thousand, not a CWS 25k stadium. He quickly went into some other conspiracy about how it was a bad idea.

On top of that, after all his fuss and standing with Save Rosenblatt and lobbing out one of the dumber ideas I've ever heard of, he then proceeded to vote for all of the downtown stadium tax changes etc. Even though Gernandt wanted to save Rosenblatt, I at least give him props for sticking to his guns and not flip flopping. Suttle will not get my vote.

:lol:

+1 on DTO
+1 on the Wags
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well Suttle has thrown his dunce cap into the election.

I'm really worried about where this election could go. This city needs to keep the economic engine going and keep the big civic projects going but in the midst of the national economic downturn I think people will believe sky is falling every where and pick a small time mayor.

Omaha as a municipality is in the top 50 in the country. I don't think most of the mayoral candidates get that and the one that does may be too offensive to win.
DTO
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Jim Vokal launched his Mayoral campaign tonight.

I got an automated call to participate in the town hall.  I can't believe there was no press on this.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

adam186 wrote:I can't believe there was no press on this.
Hmmm...  launching on the Sunday of a four-day holiday weekend?  Remind me not to hire his PR firm.
Stable genius.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Really, WOW.  He is angry at Suttle for stealing his date then goes and slides one in completely under the radar.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

If any of these candidates browse these forums it would be nice to know their stance on the current ballpark controversy.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nebport5 wrote:If any of these candidates browse these forums it would be nice to know their stance on the current ballpark controversy.
I'd be surprised if anyone running this city could send a |expletive| email on their own.
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10529952
Omaha mayoral candidate Hal Daub says he plans to launch a "get-tough, all-out war on violent crime in Omaha."

At a press conference today, Daub announced his ideas to curb violence in the city.

He said he would hire a "hometown security commissioner" if elected mayor. That person would report to the police chief, have deputy chief status within the police department and focus on gang-related violence, he said.

"These aren’t just a bunch of kids running wild with guns," Daub said. "These are sophisticated operations with specific territories. Therefore, we need to have an equally sophisticated and organized crime-fighting battle plan to stop them."

Daub says his plan has seven points, including using federal racketeering laws to combat violent crime. He also wants to build a closer relationship with the local FBI office and allocate city funds to the Building Bright Futures initiative, with a focus on truancy enforcement and after-school programs.
This is issue #1 above all else in this city right now.  Frankly, he's the first politician in the city I've heard address the issue head on this way.  

Getting the gangs out of north and south O and preventing them from getting in (or further in) west O will have more economic impact in those neighborhoods than anything else you're ever going to see.
Stable genius.