Budget: Fire Department

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:What did Nabity say that was defamation of character?  The only quote I see here is “Remove the management team that has created what I believe is a scandal.  In addition, there should be demotions and a full investigation and possible prosecution of those employees and union officers that knowingly over-inflated their pay."

First, he clearly says "what I believe is a scandal."  Everybody has a right to their opinion on what transpired.  It certainly is NOT a crime for me to think what happened with the fire department records is in fact a scandal.

Second, he said, "there should be demotions and a full investigation and possible prosecution of those employees and union officers that knowingly over-inflated their pay."  Again, I fail to see what is wrong, because this is only saying anybody who did that should face those repercussions and I agree completely.  IF none of that transpired, then nobody will or should have to pay that price.

Based on these statements, I see nothing wrong.  

What were the other statements that led to the defamation of character?
At issue are Nabity’s comments during an Oct. 29 talk radio program in which he said LeClair had “committed fraud” and “theft by deception” and that he was “receiving money from public funds” that weren’t due to him, according to a defamation lawsuit filed by LeClair.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110429/N ... al-sources
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

City, fire union reach deal
Maggie O'Brien WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The proposed four-year fire contract includes wage freezes for 2010 and the first half of 2011, and pay increases for the last half of this year and all of 2012 and 2013. The contract comes as the Nebraska Legislature considers a bill to overhaul the state labor court, the Commission of Industrial Relations. One impetus for Legislative Bill 397 has been the unfunded pension liabilities faced by the City of Omaha.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Coyote wrote:City, fire union reach deal
Maggie O'Brien WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The proposed four-year fire contract includes wage freezes for 2010 and the first half of 2011, and pay increases for the last half of this year and all of 2012 and 2013. The contract comes as the Nebraska Legislature considers a bill to overhaul the state labor court, the Commission of Industrial Relations. One impetus for Legislative Bill 397 has been the unfunded pension liabilities faced by the City of Omaha.
Absolutely AMAZING that this happens as the CIR bill passes the state legislature.  And when the City Council asks for time to analyze the contract and the new law, Suttle balks.  I really cannot understand how so many citizens can elect someone to represent them when he CLEARLY has shown he acts against their interest.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:Absolutely AMAZING that this happens as the CIR bill passes the state legislature.  And when the City Council asks for time to analyze the contract and the new law, Suttle balks.  I really cannot understand how so many citizens can elect someone to represent them when he CLEARLY has shown he acts against their interest.
They've got time. About 7 weeks to be exact, before the final vote. If they can't "analyze" a 200 some page document in that time then they...not the mayor...have problems. That's exactly what I told Stothert on her Facebook page too.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote: That's exactly what I told Stothert on her Facebook page too.
Did you also tell her you live in Florida? :;):
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad wrote:
Bosco55David wrote: That's exactly what I told Stothert on her Facebook page too.
Did you also tell her you live in Florida? :;):
She knows.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Vote on fire pact delayed
Maggie O’Brien WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:City Councilwoman Jean Stothert has said the administration should wait at least 90 days before putting the fire agreement before the council. She wanted more time to study the contract considering coming changes to the state’s labor court, the Commission of Industrial Relations.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Coyote wrote:Vote on fire pact delayed
Maggie O’Brien WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:City Councilwoman Jean Stothert has said the administration should wait at least 90 days before putting the fire agreement before the council. She wanted more time to study the contract considering coming changes to the state’s labor court, the Commission of Industrial Relations.
Smart move on Stothert's part.  

We know, from experience, that the Fire Union is going to try to slide all kinds of |expletive| in under the radar.  Study the fine print VERY closely.  We also know that, with coming CIR changes, their running scared.

It's time to keep THEIR feet held to the fire, for a change.  Enough of their endless threats, intimidation and bullying.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

New fire contract keeps coverage for LASIK for family members:

http://nebraska.watchdog.org/15402/vide ... -and-lost/
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Wow.  Becka claims he has a text message from Steve LeClair (from March), where LeClair told Becka he was "going to kick his |expletive|" because he did not like what Becka said on his show.  And yet, there are those who still deny that the fire union tries to use bully tactics of questionable legality.  That is the very definition of a corrupt union and our ignorant voters vote to give them power time and again.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:Wow.  Becka claims he has a text message from Steve LeClair (from March), where LeClair told Becka he was "going to kick his |expletive|" because he did not like what Becka said on his show.

And I assume he has turned said text message over to the OPD so there can be an investigation and LeClair can be formally charged?
That is the very definition of a corrupt union
No, that is the very definition of one man breaking the law by way of threat.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Turns out, under the new contract, the city will pay for LeClair to be a FULL TIME union rep.  Can anyone justify why this should be a salaried position paid by the city and not a position paid by the union?
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:Turns out, under the new contract, the city will pay for LeClair to be a FULL TIME union rep.  Can anyone justify why this should be a salaried position paid by the city and not a position paid by the union?
How much is the salary?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:Turns out, under the new contract, the city will pay for LeClair to be a FULL TIME union rep.  Can anyone justify why this should be a salaried position paid by the city and not a position paid by the union?
How much is the salary?
I don't know.  Under the prior contract, up to 5 people could spend up to a maximum of 1,200 hours COMBINED on union business.  Under the current contract, they kept this AND added a 2,080 union position for LeClair.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Becka didn't say what the salary was?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:Becka didn't say what the salary was?
Are you intentionally trying to obfuscate the point:  why should the city be paying the salary of a full time union representative?  Can you show me where this is accepted anywhere, let alone a common practice?
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

No I was asking an honest question, but it appears you might have some questions about it yourself.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:No I was asking an honest question, but it appears you might have some questions about it yourself.
I don't know for sure, but I will make you a friendly bet that he is not taking a pay cut.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:No I was asking an honest question, but it appears you might have some questions about it yourself.
I don't know for sure, but I will make you a friendly bet that he is not taking a pay cut.
On his union position or his firefighter position?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I thought unions were separate entities and solvent by way of union dues. Why should the city EVER fund portions of the staff which directly negotiate against the city for more funding and bargaining power?

Seeing as how one of the main problems with public unions is that they negotiate against the very city officials whom they have the power to campaign out of office, one would think having the city fund a full-time union staffer to represent the union would really would seem like buying votes - or at the very least - a conflict of interest.

I gotta go with Joe on this one. These public unions are |expletive| infuriating sometimes.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:
On his union position or his firefighter position?
Either.  He will no longer be a "firefighter."  He will be a full time union rep, drawing his entire salary from the city.  I will bet he will make just as much as he did prior to the new contract as he will after the contract.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

joeglow wrote:Either.  He will no longer be a "firefighter."  He will be a full time union rep, drawing his entire salary from the city.  I will bet he will make just as much as he did prior to the new contract as he will after the contract.
Will be interesting to see it play out.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bosco55David wrote:Becka didn't say what the salary was?
“The Union Representative shall receive his/her full salary and benefits to which he/she is normally entitled working in the Bureau. This full time Union representative shall be assigned under the office of the Chief, but shall be free to conduct the affairs of the Omaha Fire Union.”

That works out to $62,404 plus benefits:

http://nebraska.watchdog.org/15552/unio ... dium=email

Pretty good package.  I wish my employer would pay me that kind of money to sue them.  I also find it odd that every time one of these little bombs pop up, Suttle's canned reply is “That is such a minutia issue.”
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

joeglow wrote:I wish my employer would pay me that kind of money to sue them.
Last I checked, there were no laws barring you from suing your employer.  Did I miss the Tea Party taking away more of your rights as an American?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

icejammer wrote:
Last I checked, there were no laws barring you from suing your employer.  Did I miss the Tea Party taking away more of your rights as an American?
What?  Did THAT go over your head?  My employer does NOT pay me to work in a role where my primary function is to work against their best interest and, if I can't get my way, sue them.  

That said, part 2 of your comment sums up the level of honesty you want to have in this discussion.  While Bosco and I may disagree, at least he can have an intelligent discussion without having to resort to that petty |expletive|.
Last edited by joeglow on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

When all else fails...
Did I miss the Tea Party taking away more of your rights as an American?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

joeglow wrote:
icejammer wrote:
What?  Did THAT go over your head?  My employer does NOT pay me to work in a role where my primary function is to work against their best interest and, if I can't get my way, sue them.  

That said, part 2 of your comment sums up the level of honesty you want to have in this discussion.  While Bosco and I may disagree, at least he can have an intelligent discussion without having to resort to that petty |expletive|.
No, but apparently sarcasm goes over yours.  I'd check into getting a life preserver to keep your head above water.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Based on recent City Council action, I'd have to say that the tide of public opinion has turned against the Fire Union's runaway gravy train.  I'd bet that most of the city council members have been getting a LOT of heat from angry constituents.

Perhaps Omaha Fire Fighters will have to start living in the real world, along with all of us whose property taxes pay their salaries.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

DeWalt wrote:Based on recent City Council action, I'd have to say that the tide of public opinion has turned against the Fire Union's runaway gravy train.  I'd bet that most of the city council members have been getting a LOT of heat from angry constituents.

Perhaps Omaha Fire Fighters will have to start living in the real world, along with all of us whose property taxes pay their salaries.
I'm sure the vast majority of rank-and-file firefighters are happy to be employed and have fair and reasonable benefits.  

As is typical, however, it the union leadership who are bent on squeezing every red cent that they can out of taxpayers.  And - as we've seen around the country, public sector unions have had far too much influence over the people across the negotiating table, who are supposed to be representing the taxpayers.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

HuskerDave wrote:
DeWalt wrote:Based on recent City Council action, I'd have to say that the tide of public opinion has turned against the Fire Union's runaway gravy train.  I'd bet that most of the city council members have been getting a LOT of heat from angry constituents.

I'm sure the vast majority of rank-and-file firefighters are happy to be employed and have fair and reasonable benefits.  

As is typical, however, it the union leadership who are bent on squeezing every red cent that they can out of taxpayers.  And - as we've seen around the country, public sector unions have had far too much influence over the people across the negotiating table, who are supposed to be representing the taxpayers.
If/when the Employees Union bleeds a privately owned company dry, the company either goes bankrupt or changes ownership, driving the Union back to square one.  It's a hard-core system of checks & balances.

When Public Employees Unions bleed municipalities dry, there is no recourse but higher taxes.  Municipalities simply do not "go broke."  There is no real built-in system of checks & balances.  Nothing to stop the exponential growth of public employee wages and benefits.  Nothing happens until some sort of "critical mass" is reached, and all heck breaks loose.  

THAT is what has happened in Omaha.  People have become aware of what Public Employee Unions are demanding and getting, and have become livid.  It is absolutely asinine that a 47-year old Fire Captain - who never went to college - is now retired and making DOUBLE what a school teacher makes, every year, for the rest of his life.  WHO GETS BENEFITS LIKE THAT?  

Not only is there a demand to stop Public Employee Union Benefits GROWTH, there is a demand to REVERSE those outrageous benefits.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The council is doing it's job critically analyzing the contract.  They propose three modest changes that still leave the contract tilted towards the union (IMHO).   Suttle sends them a written veto threat.  Just how bought is this guy?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

DeWalt wrote:[THAT is what has happened in Omaha.  People have become aware of what Public Employee Unions are demanding and getting, and have become livid.  It is absolutely asinine that a 47-year old Fire Captain - who never went to college - is now retired and making DOUBLE what a school teacher makes, every year, for the rest of his life.  WHO GETS BENEFITS LIKE THAT?  
You forgot to add that he now works the same job in Bellevue for $70-80k a year.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

bigredmed wrote:The council is doing it's job critically analyzing the contract.  They propose three modest changes that still leave the contract tilted towards the union (IMHO).   Suttle sends them a written veto threat.  Just how bought is this guy?
Looking at his responses today, lock, stock and barrel.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

I must say I am happy with the City Council's decision to take back the fire union negotiations and hire an independent negotiator.  Of course, I am not surprised with the corrupt union's decision to NOT negotiate in good faith with someone they have not had the opportunity to buy off and, instead, hurry the issue to the CIR before the (extremely reasonable) October 1 changes take place.  I hope they enjoy their last gravy train contract...
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

joeglow wrote:I must say I am happy with the City Council's decision to take back the fire union negotiations and hire an independent negotiator.  Of course, I am not surprised with the corrupt union's decision to NOT negotiate in good faith with someone they have not had the opportunity to buy off and, instead, hurry the issue to the CIR before the (extremely reasonable) October 1 changes take place.  I hope they enjoy their last gravy train contract...
What's the gravy in the contract?

--William Jennings Bryan
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

icejammer wrote:
joeglow wrote:I must say I am happy with the City Council's decision to take back the fire union negotiations and hire an independent negotiator.  Of course, I am not surprised with the corrupt union's decision to NOT negotiate in good faith with someone they have not had the opportunity to buy off and, instead, hurry the issue to the CIR before the (extremely reasonable) October 1 changes take place.  I hope they enjoy their last gravy train contract...
What's the gravy in the contract?
The very things they want to avoid the CIR being able to look at:  TOTAL compensation package and not just salary.  Essentially, they want pensions and health benefits far exceeding what "comparable cities" are getting, but suddenly want to make comparisons to these same cities on pay (demanding equal salaries).  Basically, the very reason why, beginning October 1, the CIR has to look at total compensation packages.

Did you miss all the coverage about this during the spring/early summer?

People also have a problem with the clause allowing the mayor or fire chief to amend the contract at any time.  What good is a contract with that in it?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Becka is reporting that he has a source saying the CIR will rule in favor of the City Council.  Lets hope common sense finally enters into this issue that is bankrupting cities across the nation.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120104/N ... -dismissed
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

More Than 2,000 Apply For Firefighter Positions
Department Expects 20-40 Open Positions
KETV wrote:Being a firefighter is a hot job in the city of Omaha. Officials with the fire department said they've seen a record number of applicants for the year's first class.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Coyote wrote:More Than 2,000 Apply For Firefighter Positions
KETV wrote:Being a firefighter is a hot job in the city of Omaha. Officials with the fire department said they've seen a record number of applicants for the year's first class.
But, but, but...we don't pay them enough.  How could we ever fill their positions without their current compensation package.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

joeglow wrote:
Coyote wrote:More Than 2,000 Apply For Firefighter Positions
But, but, but...we don't pay them enough.  How could we ever fill their positions without their current compensation package.
Must be the chili.