Budget: Police

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad

Big E
City Council
Posts: 7767
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:12 am

Postby Big E » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:04 am

Because that's the same thing.  :roll:
"The above statement was not intended to be factual."

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Big E wrote:Because that's the same thing.  :roll:


Beat me to it.

joeglow
Planning Board
Posts: 2729
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm

Postby joeglow » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:15 am

Big E wrote:Because that's the same thing.  :roll:


I intentionally used an extreme to demonstrate the logic being applied appears to be along the lines of "well, I like police officers and work in the professions, so we should always pay more."   Bosco has clearly demonstrated that he does not believe someone deserves what they are willing to agree to work for.   Instead, they use third grade-like logic of "well, that person negotiated "x" so I should also make "x.""

Basically, I am curious what the reasoning for supporting additional money is.

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:27 am

joeglow wrote:
Big E wrote:Because that's the same thing.  :roll:


I intentionally used an extreme to demonstrate the logic being applied appears to be along the lines of "well, I like police officers and work in the professions, so we should always pay more."   Bosco has clearly demonstrated that he does not believe someone deserves what they are willing to agree to work for.   Instead, they use third grade-like logic of "well, that person negotiated "x" so I should also make "x.""

Basically, I am curious what the reasoning for supporting additional money is.


Hyperbole and strawmen don't make a sound logical argument. You'd know that if you were half as smart as you think you are. I also find it absolutely hysterical how you build up that straw man and then come back and ask for my reasoning.

Lolz indeed.

You better go back to Becka's Facebook page and get your talking points for the day.[/i]

HuskerDave
Library Board
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: West-central Omaha

Postby HuskerDave » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Bosco55David wrote:
joeglow wrote:
Big E wrote:Because that's the same thing.  :roll:


I intentionally used an extreme to demonstrate the logic being applied appears to be along the lines of "well, I like police officers and work in the professions, so we should always pay more."   Bosco has clearly demonstrated that he does not believe someone deserves what they are willing to agree to work for.   Instead, they use third grade-like logic of "well, that person negotiated "x" so I should also make "x.""

Basically, I am curious what the reasoning for supporting additional money is.


Hyperbole and strawmen don't make a sound logical argument. You'd know that if you were half as smart as you think you are. I also find it absolutely hysterical how you build up that straw man and then come back and ask for my reasoning.

Lolz indeed.

You better go back to Becka's Facebook page and get your talking points for the day.[/i]


I see neither hyperbole, nor strawmen arguments.  Basically, you can't support your position, so you're attacking the messenger.

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:50 pm

HuskerDave wrote:I see neither hyperbole, nor strawmen arguments.


Then you didn't look very hard.

Hyperbole - The million dollar salary lunacy.

Strawman - His "well, I like police officers and work in the professions, so we should always pay more." is basically the textbook definition.

 
Basically, you can't support your position, so you're attacking the messenger.


There is no need to attack Joe. He makes himself look more irrational and unintelligent then I ever could.

HuskerDave
Library Board
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: West-central Omaha

Postby HuskerDave » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Bosco55David wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:I see neither hyperbole, nor strawmen arguments.


Then you didn't look very hard.

Hyperbole - The million dollar salary lunacy.

Strawman - His "well, I like police officers and work in the professions, so we should always pay more." is basically the textbook definition.

 
Basically, you can't support your position, so you're attacking the messenger.


There is no need to attack Joe. He makes himself look more irrational and unintelligent then I ever could.


It's not hyperbole - it's a legitimate argument.  How much is enough?  The $87,000 per year teachers in New Jersey, with no out of pocket for either healthcare or pension believe they don't earn enough, either.  This is not an argument limited to a single raise for a single official, it's a systematic problem with public officials, both union and nonunion, and that smashes your argument.  As for your imagined strawman, we have city officials looking to these numbers in other professions and in other states to justify their own raises.  I agree that the connection is tenuous at best - but we aren't the ones initiating such arguments.

Oh, and way to go proving that you still have to attack the messenger.  I guess you really have no other argument.

User avatar
Admin
Law Enforcement
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Omaha
Contact:

Postby Admin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:39 pm

OK - move on - nobody is going to win this upset match.

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:33 pm

HuskerDave wrote:It's not hyperbole - it's a legitimate argument.


Really? Joe himself admitted it when Big E called him on it. How cool is it that you can deduce the origin of his arguments better than he can.

How much is enough?
You tell me.

The $87,000 per year teachers in New Jersey, with no out of pocket for either healthcare or pension believe they don't earn enough, either.


Lets get some facts straight. According to the Star-Ledger, average teacher pay in NJ is $63,000 and median pay is $57,000, neither of which are egregious given the cost of living in that state. Those $87,000 salaries are the exception and not the rule. Also, the teachers DO contribute to their pensions and many contribute to their health insurance, which is negotiated on the district level.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/0 ... larie.html

http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/s ... p?t=243090

Now that I've corrected your glaring inaccuracies...

 This is not an argument limited to a single raise for a single official, it's a systematic problem with public officials, both union and nonunion, and that smashes your argument.  As for your imagined strawman, we have city officials looking to these numbers in other professions and in other states to justify their own raises.  I agree that the connection is tenuous at best - but we aren't the ones initiating such arguments.


So you're against using the market to set pay rates? That seems quite the strange stance for someone who fancies himself a dyed in the wool conservative.

Oh, and way to go proving that you still have to attack the messenger.  I guess you really have no other argument.


You might want to worry about handling your own debates first. It wasn't but a couple weeks ago that OmahaBen handed you your |expletive| in a debate about the Post Office and now you're trying to bring the same distortions and inaccuracies here. There are people here who will call that |expletive| out in a heartbeat.

HuskerDave
Library Board
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: West-central Omaha

Postby HuskerDave » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:13 pm

Bosco55David wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:It's not hyperbole - it's a legitimate argument.


Really? Joe himself admitted it when Big E called him on it. How cool is it that you can deduce the origin of his arguments better than he can.

How much is enough?
You tell me.

The $87,000 per year teachers in New Jersey, with no out of pocket for either healthcare or pension believe they don't earn enough, either.


Lets get some facts straight. According to the Star-Ledger, average teacher pay in NJ is $63,000 and median pay is $57,000, neither of which are egregious given the cost of living in that state. Those $87,000 salaries are the exception and not the rule. Also, the teachers DO contribute to their pensions and many contribute to their health insurance, which is negotiated on the district level.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/0 ... larie.html

http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/s ... p?t=243090

Now that I've corrected your glaring inaccuracies...

 This is not an argument limited to a single raise for a single official, it's a systematic problem with public officials, both union and nonunion, and that smashes your argument.  As for your imagined strawman, we have city officials looking to these numbers in other professions and in other states to justify their own raises.  I agree that the connection is tenuous at best - but we aren't the ones initiating such arguments.


So you're against using the market to set pay rates? That seems quite the strange stance for someone who fancies himself a dyed in the wool conservative.

Oh, and way to go proving that you still have to attack the messenger.  I guess you really have no other argument.


You might want to worry about handling your own debates first. It wasn't but a couple weeks ago that OmahaBen handed you your |expletive| in a debate about the Post Office and now you're trying to bring the same distortions and inaccuracies here. There are people here who will call that |expletive| out in a heartbeat.


Wow, you're really passionate about this guy getting his exorbitant raise, aren't you?  Why is that?

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:52 am

HuskerDave wrote:Wow, you're really passionate about this guy getting his exorbitant raise, aren't you?  Why is that?


Actually I'm passionate about logical and factual accuracy, though I find it funny that you again try build up another straw man argument. Is it really that hard to carry on a debate?

HuskerDave
Library Board
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: West-central Omaha

Postby HuskerDave » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Bosco55David wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:Wow, you're really passionate about this guy getting his exorbitant raise, aren't you?  Why is that?


Actually I'm passionate about logical and factual accuracy, though I find it funny that you again try build up another straw man argument. Is it really that hard to carry on a debate?


That's a laugh.

joeglow
Planning Board
Posts: 2729
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm

Postby joeglow » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Bosco55David wrote:
HuskerDave wrote:How much is enough?
You tell me.


You still refuse to answer.  My answer is "enough" is the market rate someone is willing to work the job for (i.e. not inflated wages that are "negotiated" for).  I guarantee if the force was opened up, you could fill all the positions with highly qualified individuals who would individually agree to work for less.  Instead, you have a system where groups get together, buy off politicians and then play keeping up with the Joneses with neighboring cities doing the the same thing, leading to grossly inflated wages.  Since there is no way for the city to go bankrupt, there is nothing to keep in check the rampant corruption.

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:06 pm

joeglow wrote:You still refuse to answer.  My answer is "enough" is the market rate someone is willing to work the job for (i.e. not inflated wages that are "negotiated" for).


Awesome. You've come up with your own definition of market rate and now want us to play by your rules. How about we talk about the correct definition of market rates, or would that not fit your agenda? FYI, moving the goalposts is another logical fallacy. Do you have some hangup with debate skills?

 I guarantee if the force was opened up, you could fill all the positions with highly qualified individuals who would individually agree to work for less.


Two questions. First, define "opening up" the police force. Second, if there are so many qualified individuals looking for this job, explain why OPD has had recruitment trouble for years.

joeglow
Planning Board
Posts: 2729
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm

Postby joeglow » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:01 am

Bosco55David wrote:Awesome. You've come up with your own definition of market rate and now want us to play by your rules. How about we talk about the correct definition of market rates, or would that not fit your agenda? FYI, moving the goalposts is another logical fallacy. Do you have some hangup with debate skills?



Okay.  Define "market rate."  Do you honestly think if there was no union, we would have to be paying our police force MORE to fill it with qualified candidates?

Bosco55David wrote:[Two questions. First, define "opening up" the police force.


Let individuals negotiate what they are willing to work for.


Bosco55David wrote:Second, if there are so many qualified individuals looking for this job, explain why OPD has had recruitment trouble for years.


How about you define "trouble?"  The police foundation is touting "record breaking" recruiting.

http://www.opd.ci.omaha.ne.us/foundatio ... plishments

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:38 am

joeglow wrote:Okay.  Define "market rate."


Market rate = Pay rates of comparable positions. Can be adjusted for cost of living and the like.


Bosco55David wrote:Let individuals negotiate what they are willing to work for.


Except that there would be no negotiation then. The department would set an arbitrary rate and expect you to take it or leave it.

How about you define "trouble?"  The police foundation is touting "record breaking" recruiting.

http://www.opd.ci.omaha.ne.us/foundatio ... plishments


Their record breaking recruiting is getting 800-1000 people to apply. Of those, typically only about 100 or so make it to the background investigation part of the process. By the time everything is finished, they're barely able to fill an average recruiting class.

joeglow
Planning Board
Posts: 2729
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm

Postby joeglow » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Bosco55David wrote:Market rate = Pay rates of comparable positions. Can be adjusted for cost of living and the like.


I agree, assuming it is based upon what people are willing to work for.


Bosco55David wrote:Except that there would be no negotiation then. The department would set an arbitrary rate and expect you to take it or leave it.


And if enough people would not be willing to work for the pay, they would need to offer more to gain the number of qualified individuals needed.  Basic supply and demand.

Bosco55David wrote:Their record breaking recruiting is getting 800-1000 people to apply. Of those, typically only about 100 or so make it to the background investigation part of the process. By the time everything is finished, they're barely able to fill an average recruiting class.


Again, the ultimate question is what level of pay would need to be offered to attract the number of qualified individuals needed.   How many of those people who made the cut would be willing to work for $5,000 less?  If there are enough, then we are clearly paying to much.  

To be clear, I have no dog in this fight.  Everybody wants to make as much money as possible (myself included).  However, in looking at this objectively, I think you HAVE to determine at what pay level people are willing to work for.  I don't think you can get into the business of saying what you think someone should make based upon your feelings of what type of job they have.  Many people say teachers should make more because they admire the job they do and importance teachers have in our progression as a society.  However, these same people will tell you how great our current teachers are.  Thus, by their own logic, we are attracting more than enough great teachers at the pay levels being offered.

HuskerDave
Library Board
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: West-central Omaha

Postby HuskerDave » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:59 pm

joeglow wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:Market rate = Pay rates of comparable positions. Can be adjusted for cost of living and the like.


I agree, assuming it is based upon what people are willing to work for.


Bosco55David wrote:Except that there would be no negotiation then. The department would set an arbitrary rate and expect you to take it or leave it.


And if enough people would not be willing to work for the pay, they would need to offer more to gain the number of qualified individuals needed.  Basic supply and demand.

Bosco55David wrote:Their record breaking recruiting is getting 800-1000 people to apply. Of those, typically only about 100 or so make it to the background investigation part of the process. By the time everything is finished, they're barely able to fill an average recruiting class.


Again, the ultimate question is what level of pay would need to be offered to attract the number of qualified individuals needed.   How many of those people who made the cut would be willing to work for $5,000 less?  If there are enough, then we are clearly paying to much.  

To be clear, I have no dog in this fight.  Everybody wants to make as much money as possible (myself included).  However, in looking at this objectively, I think you HAVE to determine at what pay level people are willing to work for.  I don't think you can get into the business of saying what you think someone should make based upon your feelings of what type of job they have.  Many people say teachers should make more because they admire the job they do and importance teachers have in our progression as a society.  However, these same people will tell you how great our current teachers are.  Thus, by their own logic, we are attracting more than enough great teachers at the pay levels being offered.


+1,064

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20321
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Postby Coyote » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:18 pm

[font=Georgia]Omaha Police Closer To Choosing New Cruisers
OPD Needs New Model To Replace Crown Victoria[/font]


KETV wrote:OPD has used the Ford Crown Victoria since the early 1990s, but Ford discontinued the model line in 2010, forcing the department to look for a new vehicle to replace it. City officials have said that the Ford Taurus, Chevrolet Impala PPV, and Dodge Charger are among the candidates for OPD's new cruiser.
Image

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28261
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:36 pm

I hope they go with the Charger, they look bad |expletive|!

Image
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20321
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Postby Coyote » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:42 pm

I was thinking the same thing - I hope OPD goes with the Chargers.
Image

User avatar
2Adam29
Home Owners Association
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:04 pm

Postby 2Adam29 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:35 am

word on the street is that the Chief's favorite is the Chevy Impala or Caprice. However, realistically, they'll just go with the cheapest thing that meets their base standards, so its anyone's guess at this point.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2328
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby jessep28 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:13 pm

I like the Chargers, but I'm kind of hoping that they go with the Caprice. They're unique and are based off of the Holden Commodore and used to sell here in the US as the Pontiac G8. Those cars are pretty badass cars as well.

Hopefully Omaha doesn't choose Ford. The thought of a Ford Taurus Police Interceptor causes this to come to mind:

Image[/img]

:)
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:49 pm

Coyote wrote:hope OPD goes with the Chargers.


Me too.

jessep28 wrote:I like the Chargers, but I'm kind of hoping that they go with the Caprice. They're unique and are based off of the Holden Commodore and used to sell here in the US as the Pontiac G8. Those cars are pretty badass cars as well.

Hopefully Omaha doesn't choose Ford. The thought of a Ford Taurus Police Interceptor causes this to come to mind:

Image[/img]

:)


OPD actually used those Taurus cruisers for a brief moment back in the 90's. That experiment didn't go so well.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2328
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby jessep28 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:59 pm

It's been announced that Police Chief Hayes plans on retiring.

http://www.ketv.com/news/30611128/detail.html
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28261
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:06 pm

I really wish I could retire in my 40's with a $100,000 pension!
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 3000
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Postby Uffda » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:12 pm

heck I have been teaching 30+ yrs and I barely make half of that.  And at retirement time... I don't even want to think about it.  :shock:

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4551
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Postby S33 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:38 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet that OPD is being investigated by the feds for, lets say... being a bit overzealous on the job. I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

User avatar
Seth
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1439
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm
Location: Ford Birthsite Neighborhood

Postby Seth » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:12 pm

S33 wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet that OPD is being investigated by the feds for, lets say... being a bit overzealous on the job. I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.


I guess golden parachutes aren't just for Wall Street anymore.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2328
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby jessep28 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:38 pm

It looks like the city is looking at leasing new police cruisers. They would be replaced every 3 years.

http://www.ketv.com/news/30844938/detail.html
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2328
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby jessep28 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2328
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby jessep28 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Short video Omaha Police put up showcasing their new Chevy Caprice police cars. Maybe it's equipment that had to be brought over from the Crown Vics, but I'm surprised they are still using incandescent spotlights. I would think that they would use LED for reduced power load.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmGL8WPg-7I[/youtube]
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:21 am

Those are LEDs.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2328
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby jessep28 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Sorry, I was talking about the spotlights.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8744
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Budget: Police

Postby iamjacobm » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:07 pm

Omaha CC approves $733,000 for body cameras.


Return to “Omaha Metro Area Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest