2010 Omaha City Budget

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

2010 Omaha City Budget

Post by Big E »

So every post that isn't 100% on topic from the one immediately above it is getting its own thread now?

Do we get an award when we hit one bazillion threads?
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Can i just try this out?

"I went to the bathroom and upset."

I noticed in one of the other few budget threads that someone said "it upset me off" and noticed that p!ssed was replaced with 'upset.'  i just wanted to see if p!ssed was universally replaced with upset, or if spelling cow could tell the difference ;)
Go Cubs Go
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Does it really matter if those threads that haven't been posted in since May get knocked off the front page?
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Do we get an award when we hit one bazillion threads?
Says troll boy?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Take away the troll posts from everyone in this forum (you aren't exactly exempt) and you have Brad's photos and Eppley airfield passenger numbers.  Besides, if the moderator was upset about trolling he'd probably start deleting posts (which he has done, obviously), banning posters or take his ball and go home like the last guy I won't name. :;):

My point was: what's the point of breaking a discussion about the city budget down to threads about every last line item?  This whole site is getting diluted.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Not exactly exempt, but I'm not rocketing up through the ranks of the forums most prolific posters on a heap of it either. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

who cares how many posts people have?  I could have a million, or one.  I don't think people post to beef up their totals.  Forums are a discussion.  Sometimes people say things that prompt others to post responses.  The site would be dull if no one communicated like humans.

FWIW, i'm just making a statement; i don't feel like i was the one you were referring to :)
Go Cubs Go
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

thenewguy wrote:FWIW, i'm just making a statement; i don't feel like i was the one you were referring to :)
Don't worry... Jeff has a mancrush on me and the vast majority of his snarkocity is directed at me.  :;):
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

haha
Go Cubs Go
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Honestly, though...  there's FOUR threads for the city budget now, and it completely ended the discussion of the overall budget shortfall.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We have all these budget discussions, but no "Budget" discussion!

Council members call for furloughs

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090819/NEWS01/908199991
Tom Shaw and Maggie O'Brien WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITERS wrote:Calling tax increases a last resort, five Omaha City Council members today announced a plan to cut nearly $11.7 million from next year's city budget.

The biggest part of their plan is a two-week furlough for all city employees, including police and fire employees. The council members said the furloughs would save the city an estimated $7.8 million next year.
Tom Shaw and Maggie O'Brien WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITERS wrote:The five said the furloughs and other cuts also would provide enough money to reopen the Florence library and to restore pool hours, operation of the police helicopter unit in 2010 and funding for several nonprofit organizations.

The furloughs would need to be negotiated with the public safety unions and the other employee unions. The council members urged Suttle to negotiate the furloughs with the unions.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Balance the budget on the backs of your employees, nice.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:Balance the budget on the backs of your employees, nice.
I can't figure out the solution.

No one wants the pools and library's closed.
No one wanted the entertainment tax
No one wants the property tax
50% of the people in the OWH poll don't want the 2 week furloughs.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad wrote:

Of course. Everyone wants the services but they don't want to pay for them.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Make I-80 and 480 toll roads. It will get some money from those going to Iowa to spend money and would make some people look at shopping on this side of the bridge more often. It would also (unfortunately if you're in IA) rape everyone in Iowa coming to work over here everyday.
DTO
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

DTO Luv wrote:Make I-80 and 480 toll roads. It will get some money from those going to Iowa to spend money and would make some people look at shopping on this side of the bridge more often. It would also (unfortunately if you're in IA) rape everyone in Iowa coming to work over here everyday.
Interesting idea, but can you imagine the uproar that would ensue?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

DTO Luv wrote:Make I-80 and 480 toll roads. It will get some money from those going to Iowa to spend money and would make some people look at shopping on this side of the bridge more often. It would also (unfortunately if you're in IA) rape everyone in Iowa coming to work over here everyday.
And kiss 20 minute commutes goodbye. Might be a good way to get people to use mass transit though....if we had it, and of course capture out-of-state $. I hate toll roads though, even with an easy-pass. I'd rather pay wheel tax once a year.

Enforcing speeding laws would raise a lot of $ too, although I like getting away with it now.
:yes:
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Bosco55David wrote:
Interesting idea, but can you imagine the uproar that would ensue?
Oh well. Most people would be glad that it would be out of state residents forced to pay the toll (read taxes). I'm sure the anti-gambling folks would love it too.
DTO
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

I am freaking tired of people in North Omaha complaining about the closing of the Florence library.  While this is subjective, I see 1 in Elkhorn, 90th and Dodge (middle of the city), Downtown and then a breakout of:

SouthWest Part of town - 1
NorthWest Part of town - 2
SouthEast Part of town - 2
NorthEast part of town - 4

Now, I am all for supporting and spending extra money in lower income areas of town (especially on schools and libraries).  However, I heard clips from residents trying to turn it into something it is not because of the New Saddlebrook library.  Frankly, it came across as a class warfare and a bit greedy.  With the above breakout, it should be obvious what part of town was going to take the hit.  To expect every part of town to have 1 library while the area that contributes far and away the least to the tax base to have 4 demonstrates the behavior of a 5 year old (I WANT it so it should not matter who has to suffer so I can get it).
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Bosco55David wrote:
Brad wrote:

I think the Wild About Omaha weekend proved that point beyond doubt, everyone flocked to the stuff they didn't have to pay for.  Maybe everybody is thinking that Warren or someone else will come riding their white horse to the rescue for Omaha?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

icejammer wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
Brad wrote:

I think the Wild About Omaha weekend proved that point beyond doubt, everyone flocked to the stuff they didn't have to pay for.  Maybe everybody is thinking that Warren or someone else will come riding their white horse to the rescue for Omaha?
Not to go too far off topic, but this is what scares me about much of what our Federal government is doing.  One look at California shows how that model will NEVER work out.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I think people have already forgot the red flags that went up unheeded 9 months ago:

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8391

--William Jennings Bryan
Rossiron

Post by Rossiron »

Deal off the troll posts from everyone in this installation (you aren't just free) and you soul Brad's photos and Copley facility rider book.  Too, if the moderator was arouse near angling he'd belie turn deleting posts (which he has finished, obviously), prohibition posters or bonk his sphere and go base like the finally guy I won't kinsfolk.  I could mortal a 1000000, or one.  I don't expect people line to cows up their totals.  Forums are a discourse.  Sometimes grouping say things that deadened if no one communicated equivalent humans.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I'm just trying to picture someone 'bonking his shpere'.