Snow Plowing Discussion

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What do you want the city to do with it?  Scoop it up and haul it away?  You know how much that would cost?  We all know you hate taxes more than anyone on this forum...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I haven't mowed a yard or scooped a driveway since 2001.  I plan on that statement remaining accurate for the rest of my life.
Stable genius.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

What do you want the city to do with it?  Scoop it up and haul it away?  You know how much that would cost?  We all know you hate taxes more than anyone on this forum...
The best solution... push all of the snow to the front, back and side of the one car on the block who's owner was way too busy to be bothered to move it.

[url=
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

joeglow wrote:Screw the city.  Any snow they throw in my driveway WILL be going right back into the street.
I don't think the city cares one bit if you and your neighbors have to drive over snow piles you created.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

The bottom line is that the plows have to do SOMETHING with the snow.  They are NOT going to raise the blade in order to NOT get it in our driveways.  It's not feasible for them to do that, regardless of how much we'd all like them too.  So we're going to be stuck clearing out the end of our driveways more than once each time it snows.

I happen to live on a street with a 35 mph speed limit.  This means that the plows not only throw the snow back onto my sidewalk, they sometimes throw it 3-4 feet beyond my sidewalk.  Even so, I'd rather have them get the snow off the street than worry about blowing out my sidewalk again.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Snow in Omaha?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

There actually is a piece of equipment, a snow gate, that could be added to some snow removal equipment that could be used to stop the snow piles at the end of driveways.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am not sure how realistic that is in a city setting.  Cool and all but I just have a feeling it won't work like it does in that rural setting.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

a quick search shows they have been used in minot, bismarck, boze and south lake tahoe.  sioux falls is trying a couple out this winter.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Clearing Streets For Snow Plows
WOWT wrote:Hundreds of cars have been towed from Omaha streets in an effort to get the city ready for winter. The goal is to have as few parked cars as possible clogging streets when it's time to get out the snow plows.
City Begins Towing Cars Ahead Of Snowfall
KETV wrote:The city has towed 209 vehicles in two weeks as it prepares for snow removal efforts. Also, the city has ticketed 157 vehicles, issued 279 yellow tag warnings and wrote 125 nuisance notices for vehicles that were illegally licensed or illegally stored on private property. Any unregistered vehicles on city streets can be towed immediately.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Anyone else notice what a great job the city did this time around with clearing the roads? (not sarcasm, either)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought it was good.  I didn't go out too much on Monday, but from what I saw it was nice.  They also plowed the alley behind my GF's house for the first time in FIVE years!  The light wind probably helped a lot too.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They need to keep the nails out of the streets next time!

S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

iamjacobm wrote:They need to keep the nails out of the streets next time!

Ha, that comes with the street sweepers in May.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

A friend said the street her elderly father lives on over in Florence was also plowed very quickly. She said she usually has to call several times to get a plow over to the street.

Will plowing impact recall vote?

http://omaha.com/article/20110112/NEWS0 ... ecall-vote
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I thought the snow plowing effort in this last 7 inch storm was the very best I have ever seen.  My side street was plowed completely clear even before the snow stopped.
And have you noticed, the streets are NOT filled with potholes (yet)?  Something is going right here in River City, and we should acknowledge it.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Yeah snow removal has been amazing. But another thing about snow and health of plants, the reason plants do so well if there was a lot of snow is because snow contains more nitrogen then rain does, so it provides a lot of benefits for plants. Hence, everyone's gardens went crazy this past spring/summer.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Yep, the snow removal after this last storm was much better than it has previously been.  Well done!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Less than 12 hours after the biggest snowstorm of the winter, followed by the coldest temperatures of the year, I see bare pavement in my neighborhood. Thank you Mayor Suttle and the Public Works Department for yet another great job of snow removal.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

nativeomahan wrote:Less than 12 hours after the biggest snowstorm of the winter, followed by the coldest temperatures of the year, I see bare pavement in my neighborhood. Thank you Mayor Suttle and the Public Works Department for yet another great job of snow removal.
Amazing how much better he does under the threat of a recall.  It is almost as if he was NOT doing his best until he had to.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

joeglow wrote:  Amazing how much better he does under the threat of a recall.  It is almost as if he was NOT doing his best until he had to.
The streets need to be passable so people can get out to vote in his favor.  Too bad for him most voters have already made up their mind.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Not true at all.  Look how much better the streets in Omaha were yesterday versus the streets in Sarpy County.  It was like night and day yesterday...   :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Tows 188 Vehicles in Anticipation of Snow
Officers tagged more than 430 vehicles, issued tickets for more than 200 violations and towed 188 vehicles.

The National Weather Service reports there is a chance of snow in Omaha on Saturday
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:Omaha Tows 188 Vehicles in Anticipation of Snow
Officers tagged more than 430 vehicles, issued tickets for more than 200 violations and towed 188 vehicles.

The National Weather Service reports there is a chance of snow in Omaha on Saturday
The title is a little misleading

In a news release issued Tuesday, the Omaha Police Department says it recently conducted a citywide sweep of unlawfully parked vehicles for towing, with each of the four police precincts participating.

The department says dead-storage vehicles violating local storage laws were tagged for removal, and towed after 48 hours if they were still in violation. Unregistered vehicles were towed immediately.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:What do you want the city to do with it?  Scoop it up and haul it away?  You know how much that would cost?  We all know you hate taxes more than anyone on this forum...
I must have missed this gem in 2010.  We should create another tax just for joemoney and his driveway.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We need to get a warm day here to get rid of the ice patches!  They are like reverse potholes the roads are bumpy as heck.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:We need to get a warm day here to get rid of the ice patches!  They are like reverse potholes the roads are bumpy as heck.
Your not kidding, I was leaving Westroads the other day and hit a patch of them that was right before a big flat patch of Ice.  I was may be doing 20mph and I totally thought I was going in the ditch.  The bumpy ice patches kind of threw the car to one side as it hit the big patch of flat ice.  I have done a lot of stupid things in a car in my younger days, but that's the most out of control I ever felt.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Yeah I really appreciate the city annexing my subdivision last year.... NOT ... Our SID did a great job with snow removal.. Omaha's SUCKS
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I have been traveling in a Camry with no problems.

Here's a hint drivers, if it just snowed place your vehicle in the low gear and don't try to race to the next stop sight.[/url]