Snow Plowing Discussion

The Political decisions of Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 3040
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Postby Uffda » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:40 pm

I have a friend who works at Dundee elementary and she said the streets around there werent plowed and were barely passable. People stuck as they tried to drop off their kids.

RegisResident
Home Owners Association
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby RegisResident » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:28 am

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Snow plow? Who needs snow plows when we have Subarus?

Image

I bought a Legacy this summer (not the one above) and have yet to get stuck in anything for more than a few seconds. The snow plows buried me in a foot of snow twice this week and it took no more than one rock back and one rock forward to get out.


Agreed! I bought a Legacy in 2008 and haven't gotten stuck since. During this past storm I purposely took a few roads that I didn't know if I would make it and didn't have a single problem.

User avatar
thenewguy
Planning Board
Posts: 2872
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Postby thenewguy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:07 pm

a few of the owners of some old market establishments said that the removal was horrid.  There were multiple people that had to close for extra time, simply because it was inaccessible due to snow piles in the turning lanes, parking stalls, etc.
Go Cubs Go

joeglow
Planning Board
Posts: 2729
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:04 pm

Postby joeglow » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:11 pm

We didn't get a plow until about noon on Friday.  They did two big hills in our neighborhood right away and then waited about 60 hours after storms end to plow the rest of the neighborhood.

User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 3925
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: west Omaha

Postby Stargazer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:57 pm

Snow plow? Who needs snow plows when we have Subarus?


Honda Element rules! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIjJSpBtlEQ[/youtube]

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28396
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:30 am

Anyone that hasn't been plowed by today has a reason to |expletive|, other than that you live in Omaha and just had a blizzard.  I am sure our grandparents would laugh at people bitching now days...
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6936
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:03 am

My neighborhood in Park East wasn't plowed until yesterday (Friday) around 5 p.m., four days after the initial snowfall.

I was generous and gave a grade of "D".

Not to mention, I find it COMPLETELY reprehensible that plows are allowed to throw snow onto already cleared sidewalks and it is the property owners' responsibility to clear it again.

We were having a bunch of friends over last night, all of whom had to walk in the street for a block and a half and then climb over a snow bank just to get to the front door of our building.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:18 am

Stargazer wrote:
Snow plow? Who needs snow plows when we have Subarus?


Honda Element rules! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIjJSpBtlEQ[/youtube]


I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to use as a winter vehicle/daily driver when I get back to Omaha. I've got it narrowed down to these now.  :mrgreen:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Decisions, decisions.  :yes:

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6936
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:26 am

Image
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:29 am

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Image


Don't think that would do me much good. lol

Candleshoe
Human Relations
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE

Postby Candleshoe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 am

I don't think that a Camaro would work so hot,,,

Image

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:03 am

Candleshoe wrote:I don't think that a Camaro would work so hot,,,

Image


Oh God no. Right now I'm driving a Mustang GT and the thought of driving her in the snow makes my skin crawl.

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4551
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Postby S33 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:43 pm

Highly recommend a jeep. Had an older Cherokee sport a while back and couldn't get it stuck if I tried.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6936
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:26 pm

My girlfriend's co-worker has been giving her rides to work in his brand new Jeep (I think it's a Rubicon...) and that thing has NO trouble.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Postby GetUrban » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:24 pm

Bosco55David wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Image


Don't think that would do me much good. lol


I actually saw a guy riding his bike through 72nd & Pacific on Wednesday morning around 9:00....in all of the blowing snow and such. There wasn't much traffic that day with a lot of people staying home. He had a strobe light on the front of his bike.


As far as all-wheel or 4-wheel drive goes, having good snow or all-season tires is equally important.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6936
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:29 pm

Yeah, I've seen plenty of other cyclists out. I think I mentioned, but as I was waiting for a bus Tuesday evening, in the thick of the storm, there was a young guy riding his bike up St. Mary's. I verbally commended him.

Cycling in the winter shouldn't be looked at any differently than skiing, sledding, ice skating, etc. Are people who do those activities outside during winter crazy? I still see joggers, walkers, etc. I don't know why cycling is looked at differently by so many people.

It's actually very invigorating and refreshing, just like skiing, only you can actually use it to get around.

My girlfriend and I were actually wondering the other day how cross-country skiers would be treated if they were trying to get around on the streets in the city.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Postby GetUrban » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:21 pm

I look at cycling in the winter as totally different than skiing, sledding, and ice skating. Cycling is much more dependent on FRICTION to stay under control to make turns or to stop, while skiing, sledding, and skating depend on LACK of friction to even move, although they do need some friction or resistance to make turns.

I think 9 out of 10 people would fall on their face if they tried to ride a bike on snowy streets, Streets.

Cross country skiing is a great way to get around when it's too slick for wheeled transportation, or the snow is too deep to walk or run through.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28396
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:26 pm

I noticed tonight 7th street in Little Italy still had snow down the middle.  However people were still parked against the curb so it did its job.  I also drove through other parts of town that did not have the middle plow and it was a mess.  Cars half way out in the the street, snow everywhere.  I think they sould middle plow everywhere they can in urban areas.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 pm

S33 wrote:Highly recommend a jeep. Had an older Cherokee sport a while back and couldn't get it stuck if I tried.


That's what I'm leaning towards the most. Those things will get through anything and are practically bulletproof.

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4551
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Postby S33 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:07 pm

Bosco55David wrote:
S33 wrote:Highly recommend a jeep. Had an older Cherokee sport a while back and couldn't get it stuck if I tried.


That's what I'm leaning towards the most. Those things will get through anything and are practically bulletproof.


Yep, I did all I could to break mine or get it stuck. Just won't die! Not only that, if you buy used, you can get a steal on them.

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:44 pm

S33 wrote:Yep, I did all I could to break mine or get it stuck. Just won't die! Not only that, if you buy used, you can get a steal on them.


Yeah I'll most likely end up buying one down here and bring it up there with me. I've seen some pretty decent mid 90's Cherokees and Grand Cherokees for sale down here and you can usually get them for under $2500.

I'm just not sure if I want the Cherokee/Grand Cherokee or Wrangler. One one hand, the Wrangler is probably even more capable in the snow and has a certain "cool factor" with it. On the other hand they aren't exactly comfortable (like the Cherokees) and I already have a Mustang GT to satisfy the cool factor, plus the Wranglers are more expensive.

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4551
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Postby S33 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:55 pm

Bosco55David wrote:
S33 wrote:Yep, I did all I could to break mine or get it stuck. Just won't die! Not only that, if you buy used, you can get a steal on them.


Yeah I'll most likely end up buying one down here and bring it up there with me. I've seen some pretty decent mid 90's Cherokees and Grand Cherokees for sale down here and you can usually get them for under $2500.

I'm just not sure if I want the Cherokee/Grand Cherokee or Wrangler. One one hand, the Wrangler is probably even more capable in the snow and has a certain "cool factor" with it. On the other hand they aren't exactly comfortable (like the Cherokees) and I already have a Mustang GT to satisfy the cool factor, plus the Wranglers are more expensive.


True, I have a 94 cherokee sport. I just use it to screw around in the snow.

You could always get an older wrangler an have it as a fixer-upper. A buddy of mine has an old one he fixed up and it's pretty badass.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28396
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:59 pm

S33 wrote:You could always get an older wrangler an have it as a fixer-upper. A buddy of mine has an old one he fixed up and it's pretty badass.


I saw a guy that took a rusty old wrangler and bought a big sheet of diamond plate and covered over the rust holes.  Looked really good, but not sure it would last more than a few years.

I plan on buying a used Cherokee or other 4X4 Jeep product when I pay my car off.  It suck sitting at home looking at the snow and not being able to go out in the country and shoot photos.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4551
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Postby S33 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 am

Brad wrote:
S33 wrote:You could always get an older wrangler an have it as a fixer-upper. A buddy of mine has an old one he fixed up and it's pretty badass.


I saw a guy that took a rusty old wrangler and bought a big sheet of diamond plate and covered over the rust holes.  Looked really good, but not sure it would last more than a few years.

I plan on buying a used Cherokee or other 4X4 Jeep product when I pay my car off.  It suck sitting at home looking at the snow and not being able to go out in the country and shoot photos.


Well that's one way to do it. !

I know very little about cars, but I was told all Jeep's 4-wheel drives are different from a standard one and that is why they get around so good in snow. Maybe somebody else knows what exactly that is?

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:47 am

S33 wrote:I was told all Jeep's 4-wheel drives are different from a standard one and that is why they get around so good in snow. Maybe somebody else knows what exactly that is?


That's news to me. Then again, I really had no interest in Jeeps until I decided to come back to Omaha. I've always been more of the fast car type guy.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6936
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:49 pm

GetUrban wrote:I look at cycling in the winter as totally different than skiing, sledding, and ice skating. Cycling is much more dependent on FRICTION to stay under control to make turns or to stop, while skiing, sledding, and skating depend on LACK of friction to even move, although they do need some friction or resistance to make turns.


The only comparison I was making was that these are all outdoor activities which people partake in during the cold, winter months. Not bringing into question weather conditions or the physics behind bicycles.

Of course, having the appropriate tires helps, but bicycles are susceptible to icy road conditions just as automobiles. Interestingly, bicycles are superior to cars in slushy, wet situations where hydroplaning is a risk. This is because of the narrowness of bike tires compared to car tires, and the fact that they are round and can cut right through water and slush, whereas with cars, where the tire meets the road is essentially flat, creating a "plane" for easy slipping.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

mrdwhsr
Library Board
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:51 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby mrdwhsr » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:31 pm

Bosco55David wrote:
S33 wrote:I was told all Jeep's 4-wheel drives are different from a standard one and that is why they get around so good in snow. Maybe somebody else knows what exactly that is?


That's news to me. Then again, I really had no interest in Jeeps until I decided to come back to Omaha. I've always been more of the fast car type guy.


One big difference between 4WD and standard in just about all brands (not just Jeep) is the ground clearance. The 4WD Jeep (and Ford F150, Chevy, Dodge Ram, you name it) sits higher off the ground. I don't have a big issue with traction in the beater '96 Camry. It's just that the dang thing sits low and is too easy to get high centered when you get above 6-inches of snow. I think you would have the same problem in the Mustang GT - plus the torque is going to spin the tires. Fun, but not something you want to do in snow and ice if you want to go somewhere besides the ditch or around in cirles. I never have that torque problem in the 4-cyl Camry.

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:08 am

mrdwhsr wrote:I think you would have the same problem in the Mustang GT - plus the torque is going to spin the tires. Fun, but not something you want to do in snow and ice if you want to go somewhere besides the ditch or around in cirles. I never have that torque problem in the 4-cyl Camry.


|expletive|, my car has enough power now that it's hard to drive in the rain, much less snow. If you're not careful when going around sharp turns it's real easy to have the |expletive| end come out from behind you.

That being said, my motivation for getting a winter vehicle is simply the fact that the Mustang is my pride and joy and I'm not going to subject it to winter conditions and all the problems (read: rust) that come with it. When the snow comes, the Mustang will get tucked away safely in a garage.  :yes:

JPenny
Home Owners Association
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:13 pm
Location: Omaha

Postby JPenny » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:29 am

Get a Jeep! There has always been atleast one in my family since i was born. Its very hard to get them stuck. I've tried haha

RegisResident
Home Owners Association
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby RegisResident » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:19 am

I would still buy a Subaru over a Jeep any day- the Subaru Symmetrical AWD system rocks and they last forever. If you're looking for additional ground clearance, there is the Outback, Forester and Tribeca. If you are looking for fast and sporty, while still being able to get around in the elements, there is the Legacy GT or WRX. Subaru is also the only company other than Porsche to use the Boxer engine design that gives the engine more torque and lowers the center of gravity of the vehicle. Subarus get good gas mileage and maintain their resale value much better than Jeep. As for getting a Subaru stuck- I grew up in Upstate NY and we had a subaru in the family starting with a 93 Impreza so that we could get around in the winter- we never got stuck driving to the mountains, hockey games, etc. In 96 my sister got the Impreza and we bought an Outback. I used the Outback when it was too snowy for my VW Golf- I also took the Outback on some major off-road trails and never had a problem, even when I hit the trails in the middle of the winter with snow that went over the hood of the car. The 93 Impreza with 200k+ miles on it is with my sister in CA, which she takes up to Lake Tahoe to go snowboarding. The 96 Outback with 200k+ miles is now in Oregon after my cousin drove it there 2 yrs ago- he was the only one in his town that could get around when they got a few feet of snow last year.

In 08 I traded in my VW Passat for a Legacy because I realized after I moved here that the city isn't equipped to handle any substantial snowfall- since I bought it, I haven't had any problems getting around town or getting through the unplowed neighborhoods when it snows. Last winter I did a round trip from Omaha to Knoxville, TN. and hit every type of weather possible (snow, ice, rain, sleet, etc.) and didn't have any problems while there were many Jeeps, Blazers, Suburbans, Tahoes, and other large SUVs that were off the road.  

Just thought I would share my insight on AWD/4WD vehicles :)

User avatar
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 am
Location: Tampa, FL (formerly Omaha and Council Bluffs)

Postby Bosco55David » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:26 pm

RegisResident wrote:I would still buy a Subaru over a Jeep any day- the Subaru Symmetrical AWD system rocks and they last forever. If you're looking for additional ground clearance, there is the Outback, Forester and Tribeca. If you are looking for fast and sporty, while still being able to get around in the elements, there is the Legacy GT or WRX. Subaru is also the only company other than Porsche to use the Boxer engine design that gives the engine more torque and lowers the center of gravity of the vehicle. Subarus get good gas mileage and maintain their resale value much better than Jeep. As for getting a Subaru stuck- I grew up in Upstate NY and we had a subaru in the family starting with a 93 Impreza so that we could get around in the winter- we never got stuck driving to the mountains, hockey games, etc. In 96 my sister got the Impreza and we bought an Outback. I used the Outback when it was too snowy for my VW Golf- I also took the Outback on some major off-road trails and never had a problem, even when I hit the trails in the middle of the winter with snow that went over the hood of the car. The 93 Impreza with 200k+ miles on it is with my sister in CA, which she takes up to Lake Tahoe to go snowboarding. The 96 Outback with 200k+ miles is now in Oregon after my cousin drove it there 2 yrs ago- he was the only one in his town that could get around when they got a few feet of snow last year.
I don't want AWD though. I'm not a fan of AWD (or Subaru for that matter) and if I'm going to have a second vehicle I want the extra space and capability a Jeep or other SUV will give me.

Sporty isn't an concern of mine since I already have a fast car, and neither is fuel mileage for that matter.

Anyways, I appreciate the input. Glad you're happy with your car and all, but it's not quite the direction that I plan to take.  8) [/quote]

the1wags
County Board
Posts: 3902
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Denver
Contact:

Postby the1wags » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:37 pm

I've taken my Jeep to some places in Colorado that no Subaru is getting too. That said, I have also seen a few Subaru's in places I was very surprised to see that they made it.

While I wasn't here to see how fast they plowed the roads, I can tell you that there is work to be done on the pedestrian level.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28396
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:39 pm

the1wags wrote:I can tell you that there is work to be done on the pedestrian level.


By the City or Land owners?

The City is only responisable for sidewalks on city owned property.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

the1wags
County Board
Posts: 3902
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Denver
Contact:

Postby the1wags » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:43 pm

Both. A few spots along my commute are notorious offenders, and the city is failing to enforce the ordinance.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28396
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:55 pm

the1wags wrote:Both. A few spots along my commute are notorious offenders, and the city is failing to enforce the ordinance.


Report issues button on the right side:

http://www.cityofomaha.org/pw/streets-a ... ow-removal
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council
Posts: 6936
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Yeah, I realize it's the law, so, not debating that...

I can't believe that pedestrian safety (i.e. having cleared sidewalks and paths) is left in the hands of private land owners. What the he11?

That's like having an ordinance that says if your house is on fire, YOU are responsible for preventing other adjacent properties from catching fire. Absurd.

Of course, the 1000 pound gorilla in all of this is SPRAWL, CAR CULTURE, and SOCIETAL VIEWS ABOUT PEDESTRIAN SAFETY. With the sprawling, inefficient way we build cities, clearing all sidewalks would be out of the question... that is with the lack of emphasis on pedestrians. Hmmm. Somehow all the streets get cleared.

If we demanded communities and developments that are more dense, more walkable, and mixed use, with an emphasis on non-motorized transportation, this problem would probably not exist in the first place.

Where I lived in France, sidewalks, trails, and paths for pedestrians and cyclists were the first things cleared BY THE CITY, followed closely by clearing the streets, and even this was MAINLY to accommodate public transportation. Yes, they make sidewalk-sized plows and riding-snow-throwers.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28396
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Postby Brad » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:00 pm

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I can't believe that pedestrian safety (i.e. having cleared sidewalks and paths) is left in the hands of private land owners. What the he11?


|expletive| that... I will NOT pay for people that are too lazy or irresponsible to remove snow on their own property.  You can spend $10, buy a shovel, and get out there and clean it.  No one is held accountable anymore.  Fine them, raise the |expletive| fines, but don't make the city do it because people are too stupid.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

DTO Luv
City Council
Posts: 9974
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 pm

Postby DTO Luv » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Solution: Have the equivalent of a meter maid go around after a snow storm and issue tickets. The sidewalks would always be shoveled or we'd have a new source of revenue to build a streetcar to Lincoln. :) But I'm serious on the idea though.
Image

User avatar
justnick
Hair and Makeup Guru
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Downtown

Postby justnick » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:23 pm

DTO Luv wrote:Solution: Have the equivalent of a meter maid go around after a snow storm and issue tickets. The sidewalks would always be shoveled or we'd have a new source of revenue to build a streetcar to Lincoln. :) But I'm serious on the idea though.


Yes, please.

There is nothing more annoying than people who had the time to do their driveway, but leave their sidewalks covered in snow.

icejammer
County Board
Posts: 3597
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Council Bluffs

Postby icejammer » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:05 pm

justnick wrote:There is nothing more annoying than people who had the time to do their driveway, but leave their sidewalks covered in snow.


Oh no, the most annoying are those people who shovel/plow/snowblow their driveway back out into the street after the plows have gone by, making the street in worse shape than it started out in.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan


Return to “Omaha Metro Area Government”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest