Traffic Gaps

Humor and off topic conversation

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote: (in the hypothetical situation we're talking about where I would be driving the speed limit in the left lane.)
According to the law, if you're driving in the left lane, even if you're obeying the speed limit, but you're not passing, then you're breaking the law (Rules of the Road). I think you just disagree with this law.

In reality this rule is probably only enforceable on the interstate, since on city streets there is usually too much traffic to say that people must stay right except to pass. People typically get in the lane they need to be in to make their next turn....those that are smart enough to think ahead.

The accident you give as an example is not really indicative of a flaw in our laws....it's a case of reckless driving.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

We were taught, in driver's education class, that the left-hand lane on a freeway/interstate road is reserved for passing and emergency responders, which would stand to reason that it is not acceptable to cruise in that lane at any speed, and once you pass another motorist, you are to immediately move a lane to the right.

At least that's what I was taught.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

joeglow wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Joeglow, what a random, pointless comment.
I was commenting on your thought that passing in the LEFT lane (i.e. the individual struck was in the left lane) is quite acceptable in the US under our set of laws.
What you just said still doesn't make any sense, both in regard to this thread and the topics being discussed, but also in the sense of  being a logical, cohesive use of the English language.
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

GetUrban wrote:According to the law, if you're driving in the left lane, even if you're obeying the speed limit, but you're not passing, then you're breaking the law (Rules of the Road).
Actually, I've already made this point in this thread. As you point out, no one should ever be in the left lane except to pass while observing the speed limit or to turn left. This is virtually never enforced, contributes to the broken window effect as it pertains to our legal system, and adds to the incoherence and confusion regarding how we are to drive on local streets vs. Interstate highways.
GetUrban wrote:The accident you give as an example is not really indicative of a flaw in our laws....it's a case of reckless driving.
Frankly, this is exactly what I am saying. The problem is largely with enforcement. Here is a guy who was recklessly passing an accident in the right lane and who killed someone as a result and all law enforcement are willing to do is give him a ticket. It's absolute insanity.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:This is virtually never enforced, contributes to the broken window effect as it pertains to our legal system, and adds to the incoherence and confusion regarding how we are to drive on local streets vs. Interstate highways.
Funny how pretty much everyone agrees with what the standards and rules are except for you, and even you tend to agree those are the standards, you just don't like them. So I'm not seeing this supposed incoherence or confusion...
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:OmahaBen, what are you talking about? Where am I wrong? You say just because I don't like a law doesn't mean it's not the law, then you turn around and say I'm a dick for following the law...  (in the hypothetical situation we're talking about where I would be driving the speed limit in the left lane.)
I said even if (hypothetically) you were correct (because, for instance, you were in a jurisdiction that allowed you to cruise in the left lane), you'd still be a dick for breaking the unwritten social contract regarding the use of the left hand lane. There are plenty of actions which constitute legal conduct which are nevertheless....less than courteous to everyone else around you.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
joeglow wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Joeglow, what a random, pointless comment.
I was commenting on your thought that passing in the LEFT lane (i.e. the individual struck was in the left lane) is quite acceptable in the US under our set of laws.
What you just said still doesn't make any sense, both in regard to this thread and the topics being discussed, but also in the sense of  being a logical, cohesive use of the English language.
Jesus, by 6 year old has a better grasp of reality.  The LEFT lane is intended to be used for passing.  Thus, if I am passing in the left lane (as you stated), there is nothing illegal about it.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Joe, we are definitely not on the same page with whatever you are trying to say to me.

Ben, I'm not really sure what you are arguing either, except that one is supposed to follow the law, but it's ok to not follow the law if one is following some vague, nebulous, "unwritten" social law, set by whomever it is convenient for at the time...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Last edited by jessep28 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Ben, I'm not really sure what you are arguing either, except that one is supposed to follow the law, but it's ok to not follow the law if one is following some vague, nebulous, "unwritten" social law, set by whomever it is convenient for at the time...
Like the vague social law that states that it is acceptable to drive in the far left lane as slow as you like, as long as it is over the minimum limit, regardless of any other vehicles?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Wow, so back to gaps.  I get irritated when the right lane stacks up with such gaps that people can't get into the right turn lane and miss the green arrow.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

cdub wrote:Wow, so back to gaps.  I get irritated when the right lane stacks up with such gaps that people can't get into the right turn lane and miss the green arrow.
Finally, someone talks and agrees about the original topic of the thread!

Anyway, you must mean left turn lane and missing the green arrow for that. I think there must be a lot of far-sighted people out there who must stop at least 3 car lengths behind the car in front, otherwise the car looks blurry to them.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Joe, we are definitely not on the same page with whatever you are trying to say to me.

Ben, I'm not really sure what you are arguing either, except that one is supposed to follow the law, but it's ok to not follow the law if one is following some vague, nebulous, "unwritten" social law, set by whomever it is convenient for at the time...
No, it's that following the law is a bare minimum standard. Are you really so dense as to not understand that society often expects people to act in ways above and beyond that which the law merely requires?

Even where it is legal to drive in the far left lane of a highway without passing anyone, it is still discourteous to everyone else around you to do so. I refuse to believe that you can't understand that distinction, which implies to me that you're playing the role of the troll in tonight's performance. Because otherwise you're being willfully ignorant, which is even more unbecoming for someone who flaunts his graduate school credentials in the manner you do.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

This thread has made the entire planet dumber.
Stable genius.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Big E wrote:This thread has made the entire planet dumber.
Don't worry, there's still time for you to enlighten it.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

GetUrban wrote:
By "enlighten" I'm guessing you mean make some edgy, clever joke that nobody gets, and with no responsive substance. Yeah, he's here to enlighten us.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

S33 wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
By "enlighten" I'm guessing you mean make some edgy, clever joke that nobody gets, and with no responsive substance. Yeah, he's here to enlighten us.
That is what I live for.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Exactly.
Stable genius.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

Perfect!!!   :thumb:
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ben, I completely understand the distinction. What you apparently don't understand is that there is a difference between being courteous (think letting the person who's just buying a loaf of bread at the grocery store go before you in the check-out line when you have a cart full of groceries) and allowing yourself to be bullied by people with a disregard for the law (as in, why should I be pressured to move out of the left lane to enable a speeder to zoom through when I am safely and legally traveling at the speed limit?). It actually takes balls, and the knowledge that you are morally and legally in the right, to stand up for yourself and not be pushed around by ignorant people who behave dangerously.

Of course, your viewpoint is totally affirmed and enabled by our stellar law enforcement in the US...

...which brings me to the next point.

Bosco, here are some of your police-academy-trained elites in action:

Dashcam video shows SPD officers mocking crash victim
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/135908093.html
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:It actually takes balls, and the knowledge that you are morally and legally in the right, to stand up for yourself and not be pushed around by ignorant people who behave dangerously.

Of course, your viewpoint is totally affirmed and enabled by our stellar law enforcement in the US...
It was quoted earlier and immediately overlooked that the left lane gappers are not legally in the right.
Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
So technically, it is also your viewpoint that is being affirmed and enabled by that same law enforcement.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

Let me summarize this thread so far:

Brad: Left lane hogs bite.
Streets: No way!  I can drive whatever speed I want in the left lane.  Unwritten "laws" are not laws!
Varied Posters: Uh, actually, it is the law.  See here...
Streets:  I don't agree with that law, therefore it's wrong.  Society is terrible.  Cops are corrupt.  Here's a video of them doing something bad that's not relevant to the topic at all!  Cars suck!  *record skips....starts over*

Moving on....
Equal Opportunity Hater.

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Zilla wrote:Streets: No way!  I can drive whatever speed I want in the left lane.
No. Not "whatever speed"; at or below the speed limit. If you disagree, you're an ignorant waste of life who deserves everything you have coming to you.  :D
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:...which brings me to the next point.

Bosco, here are some of your police-academy-trained elites in action:

Dashcam video shows SPD officers mocking crash victim
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/135908093.html
And this ignorance is what the media relies on...and in this case, I am sure it is making its way across your anti-car websites, allowing everyone to cream their jeans.  The reality is that study after study has shown how common (and healthy) gallows humor is.  Here is one that was done a few months ago:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/ga ... 6150363738
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

What the media rely on for what?

I'm surprised this kind of thing isn't in the news more often, frankly, with how prevalent these attitudes and behaviors are among law enforcement. I've personally encountered this level of arrogance/ignorance from cops on multiple occasions... in fact, the majority of occasions where I've interacted with police officers; I'm not even counting bad behavior from on-duty police officers that I've observed/experienced as a pedestrian and bystander.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:What the media rely on for what?
An ignorant consumer going "OMFG this is terrible."  They then hope some other ignorant person will spread it all over the internets.
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I'm surprised this kind of thing isn't in the news more often, frankly, with how prevalent these attitudes and behaviors are among law enforcement. I've personally encountered this level of arrogance/ignorance from cops on multiple occasions... in fact, the majority of occasions where I've interacted with police officers; I'm not even counting bad behavior from on-duty police officers that I've observed/experienced as a pedestrian and bystander.
Jesus, we have another DTO in the making here.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:No. Not "whatever speed"; at or below the speed limit. If you disagree, you're an ignorant waste of life who deserves everything you have coming to you.  :D
Do I believe you can drive in the left lane "at or below the speed limit" whenever you want despite traffic behind you?  No, I don't....so I certainly disagree.  Annnnnnd, out come the personal insults.

Hey, the law may state that I'm supposed to yield to bicyclists, but that's a stupid law.  Nuts to that.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote: (as in, why should I be pressured to move out of the left lane to enable a speeder to zoom through when I am safely and legally traveling at the speed limit?).
Safely must mean different things to you and me. Blocking in a speeder may make you feel smug as a speed limit enforcing vigilante, but there's not a defensive driving course on the planet that would tell you it's the safe way to handle that situation.

And in the situation where you're blocking a stream of speeders rather than an isolated one, you're actually being the more dangerous driver by purposely disrupting the flow of traffic. Once again, difference in speed kills more than speed itself.

But it's a moot point, anyway, since the Nebraska traffic code, and that of many other states, says you'd be legally wrong, too.

BTW: Just got back from a week in the Detroit area. You wouldn't last a day on those highways driving at or below the speed limit in the left hand lane (or any other lane, to be honest).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think I have brought this up before, but it happens all the time...  If you are turning right and you have a green light, you NEVER yield to an oncoming car that wants to turn left.  You shouldn't even be looking at that left turning car, you should be watching out for pedestrians using the crosswalk since the crosswalk would be "walk" at that time too.  Not a day goes by where I don't see several cars sit there waiting to make a right and and yield to left turning vehicles...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

An American Traffic Regulatory Sign since 1948:

Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

All of this is irrelevant.  Streets doesn't agree with it....so it's wrong.  C'mon guys....
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:An American Traffic Regulatory Sign since 1948:

I got a friend that has been pulled over in Colorado for not driving in the left lane.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

OmahaBen wrote:Once again, difference in speed kills more than speed itself.
OK, sure. So how the |expletive| is the person driving the safe, legal speed the one who is behaving in an unsafe manner? That's seriously |expletive| up and proves my point about how collectively flawed our thinking is as a society. Thanks.

And, I "wouldn't last" on a Detroit freeway? As in, I would die? And I suppose that would be OK, huh, since I wasn't "going with the flow"? Again, |expletive| up. Besides, what do you know about my driving skills? I've driven in cities with much crazier speeders than the likes of Detroit. Lucky for me, I will never willingly set foot in Detroit.

Also, though my comments above still stand, I can't stress enough the fact that we are NOT talking about interstate driving here. But, again, thank you for confirming the flawed thinking and conflation of the two completely different driving circumstances.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote: OK, sure. So how the |expletive| is the person driving the safe, legal speed the one who is behaving in an unsafe manner? That's seriously |expletive| up and proves my point about how collectively flawed our thinking is as a society. Thanks.

Also, though my comments above still stand, I can't stress enough the fact that we are NOT talking about interstate driving here. But, again, thank you for confirming the flawed thinking and conflation of the two completely different driving circumstances.
You have once again ignored that you are not driving legally in any of these scenarios, but please continue typing with utter disregard towards what anyone else is saying.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
OmahaBen wrote:Once again, difference in speed kills more than speed itself.
OK, sure. So how the |expletive| is the person driving the safe, legal speed the one who is behaving in an unsafe manner? That's seriously |expletive| up and proves my point about how collectively flawed our thinking is as a society. Thanks.

And, I "wouldn't last" on a Detroit freeway? As in, I would die? And I suppose that would be OK, huh, since I wasn't "going with the flow"? Again, |expletive| up. Besides, what do you know about my driving skills? I've driven in cities with much crazier speeders than the likes of Detroit. Lucky for me, I will never willingly set foot in Detroit.

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

I think we're done here. When the f-bombs start flying, you know the troll's given up.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Now were done.