Neak Boortz Taxas A&M Commencent Address

Humor and off topic conversation

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Neak Boortz Taxas A&M Commencent Address

Post by nebugeater »

Neal B gave the commencement address at Texas A&M.  after reading the transcript I am guess there is very little chance that we will be asked to do it again.  While I do not agree with everything that NB has to say this sure hits it on the head in a lot of areas.  Hope the class was listening.

It takes a few minutes to read but here is the link

http://theghostfighters.wordpress.com/2 ... ly-silent/

A couple of highlights
“I am honored by the invitation to address you on this august occasion. It’s about time. Be warned, however, that I am not here to impress you; you’ll have enough smoke blown up your bloomers today. And you can bet your tassels I’m not here to impress the faculty and administration. You may not like much of what I have to say, and that’s fine. You will remember it though. Especially after about 10 years out there in the real world. This, it goes without saying, does not apply to those of you who will seek your careers and your fortunes as government employees.
In college you developed a group mentality, but if you look closely at your diplomas you will see that they have your individual names on them. Not the name of your school mascot, or of your fraternity or sorority, but your name. Your group identity is going away. Your recognition and appreciation of your individual identity starts now.

If, by the time you reach the age of 30, you do not consider yourself to be a conservative, rush right back here as quickly as you can and apply for a faculty position. These people will welcome you with open arms. They will welcome you, that is, so long as you haven’t developed an individual identity. Once again you will have to be willing to sign on to the group mentality you embraced during the past four years.
I’m about to be stoned by the faculty here. They’ve already changed their minds about that honorary degree I was going to get. That’s OK, though. I still have my PhD. in Insensitivity from the Neal Boortz Institute for Insensitivity Training. I learned that, in short, sensitivity sucks. It’s a trap. Think about it – the truth knows no sensitivity. Life can be insensitive. Wallow too much in sensitivity and you’ll be unable to deal with life, or the truth, so get over it.
Now, before the dean has me shackled and hauled off, I have a few random thoughts.

* You need to register to vote, unless you are on welfare. If you are living off the efforts of others, please do us the favor of sitting down and shutting up until you are on your own again.

* When you do vote, your votes for the House and the Senate are more important than your vote for President. The House controls the purse strings, so concentrate your awareness there.

* Liars cannot be trusted, even when the liar is the President of the country. If someone can’t deal honestly with you, send them packing.

* Don’t bow to the temptation to use the government as an instrument of plunder. If it is wrong for you to take money from someone else who earned it — to take their money by force for your own needs — then it is certainly just as wrong for you to demand that the government step forward and do this dirty work for you.

* Don’t look in other people’s pockets. You have no business there. What they earn is theirs. What you earn is yours. Keep it that way. Nobody owes you anything, except to respect your privacy and your rights, and leave you the heck alone.

* Speaking of earning, the revered 40-hour workweek is for losers. Forty hours should be considered the minimum, not the maximum. You don’t see highly successful people clocking out of the office every afternoon at five. The losers are the ones caught up in that afternoon rush hour. The winners drive home in the dark.

* Free speech is meant to protect unpopular speech. Popular speech, by definition, needs no protection.

* Finally (and aren’t you glad to hear that word), as Og Mandino wrote,

1. Proclaim your rarity. Each of you is a rare and unique human being.

2. Use wisely your power of choice.

3. Go the extra mile, drive home in the dark.

Oh, and put off buying a television set as long as you can. Now, if you have any idea at all what’s good for you, you will get out of here and never come back. Class dismissed”
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Taxas
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Neal has never given this address, though he did pen it.  However, I wish every graduating class was read this.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I disagree with a few of his statements, but some were good.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I'm sure we will be reading this speech in chain emails for years to come.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

So he basically said what any free-thinking, tax-paying, working-class individual thinks, and doesn't have the balls to say. Kudos to him, even after the unoriginality of the speech.

My one disagreement, that someone who works 40 hours a week is a loser. I guess if one's life is defined simply by their career and time spent building it, then he's right.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

S33 wrote:So he basically said what any free-thinking, tax-paying, working-class individual thinks, and doesn't have the balls to say. Kudos to him, even after the unoriginality of the speech.

My one disagreement, that someone who works 40 hours a week is a loser. I guess if one's life is defined simply by their career and time spent building it, then he's right.
Yeah that was my disagreement too. I mean, if all you do is work, what are you really doing with your life?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

S33 wrote:So he basically said what any free-thinking, tax-paying, working-class individual thinks, and doesn't have the balls to say. Kudos to him, even after the unoriginality of the speech.

There are a lot of careers that start at 40hrs and go up from there.   If you try to work 40, you might as well not be there.  Want to be a doctor, plan on 50 hr/wk min.   Anyone really want a doctor that only works 40?  

Anyone want a financial advisor that cant meet with you after 4?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

My point is that its ridiculous to consider someone a loser for performing a 40 hour work week. If that's the case, this country is in sad shape.